• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
It seems dumb to not just have the whole show available, after all limiting people's access is just asking for them to pirate it.
And that's why they usually provide all the sub episodes? Unless the anime culture has gotten so out of whack that they think pirating dubs is now acceptable too.

They probably make more off of the 4 hulu ads per episode then the 20 dollar DVD sets

I can guarantee you this is not true. Its probably not even remotely close.

And that's why they usually provide all the sub episodes? Unless the anime culture has gotten so out of whack that they think pirating dubs is now acceptable too.

I can guarantee you this is not true. Its probably not even remotely close.

Is there really a difference? Pirating is pirating

One Piece on Hulu is weird. There's basically a rolling block of a number of dubbed episodes taken down at any given time. Lord only knows why.

(Gotta post in this new thread sometime!)

Seda

When I was marathoning One Piece there were a couple of blocks of episodes where only Sub was available. I just watched through the subs anyway switching back to dub when it was there.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Man, complaining about rotating free anime, and episodes missing on services with 10s of series available at a time... I can feel the "WHY, IN MY DAY....!" urge coming on, haha.

To kinda subvert that, I remember going to my local anime con in the early 2000s, and having to search for / wait to see so much of the things I saw in the video rooms... either there was no clearly legal way to get them on DVD in the US, or things were long off store shelves and back-ordered. And a rare few were old VHS relics, passed around between friends, with not even a Youtube upload to prove it ever existed... (I,E., I wanted to relive my late-night watch of Blazing Transfer Student... and it wasn't on youtube back then!)

... Now, after returning from that same Con this year, I find maybe 1 series that I'd have to order from Amazon, but each and every other one is offered free on Hulu, Netflix, of via something like Funimations own site. Even many of the ones I'd prefer to have on BluRay... And it's the entire series from $30 to $100 bucks! Not even in the $80 to $150+ prices they used to ask for DVD boxes. And they're generally complete dumps, rather than having to wait months between releases to get everything.

I probably spent more during my "Must collect all DVDs of Rune Soldier Louie + Secret of Blue Water!" months of ordering each DVD from whomever had them in stock (Between Anime Nation, Rob's Anime Corner Store, Anime Castle, and multiple local Suncoast / Best Buys in the area), than I spend in a year of normal anime watching now... and I probably watch 3 or 4 times more series over a year, than I did then (TV anime excluded.)

Always makes me glad I didn't get big into buying my anime until the DVD days... Sub OR Dub, passing Raw videos recorded by a mysterious "cousin of a friend who lives in Japan", and having shows go for LONG periods of time between releases, with barely any ways to check up on possible release dates. Must have been the pits, haha.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hard to believe that OT1 and OT2 completely covered 2012, and OT3, OT4, OT5, and assuredly OTs 6-9 will be needed just for 2013. But I guess that coincides with the rise of Toonami itself.

(Plus, six non-repeating hours gives a lot to talk about...)

Hard to believe that OT1 and OT2 completely covered 2012, and OT3, OT4, OT5, and assuredly OTs 6-9 will be needed just for 2013. But I guess that coincides with the rise of Toonami itself.

(Plus, six non-repeating hours gives a lot to talk about...)

Look how many new shows have premiered this year vs 2012

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
dat toonami making money, i actually wonder if toonami would get enough money again to make their own original anime again

LycanXIII

dat toonami making money, i actually wonder if toonami would get enough money again to make their own original anime again

They probably wont, even if they do get the money. While ratings are good, I don't think they're good enough to justify producing a show just for the block.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Is there really a difference? Pirating is pirating
It is. But its pretty obvious that most studios choose to turn a blind eye towards fansubs whereas they still go after pirated copies of dubs, for obvious reasons. And with the ever increasing simulcasts of anime, even the subs can be viewed legally and quickly.
I would pay for convenience but they won't let me

You get all the sub episodes for free, a majority of the dub episodes (with the rest rotating in and out), and the DVDs themselves can be gotten for $20-ish. So you can either deal with watching the subs, wait for the dubs to rotate back in, or spend $20 on the DVD. Plus the episodes air in english subs 1 hour after premiere. Whats more convenient than that?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There was a three week period before it premiered on Toonami where all the dub and sub episodes were up at Hulu.

The sets are routinely sub 20 bucks and have a ton of content though so I wouldn't feel bad buying them.

I own collections 1-8 got them on sale when they were like $15 each which covers all the way up to the end of skypiea and g8. Basically it ends where toonami began showing the dub.

Also while you can simply buy op DVDs and get the dub that's not true for every dubbed series. Good luck finding half the dubbed gundams for a decent price or legally anywhere.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I own collections 1-8 got them on sale when they were like $15 each which covers all the way up to the end of skypiea and g8. Basically it ends where toonami began showing the dub.

Also while you can simply buy op DVDs and get the dub that's not true for every dubbed series. Good luck finding half the dubbed gundams for a decent price or legally anywhere.

I got most of them when a local Newbury Comics was clearing out and the rest from a great DVD Pacific sale awhile ago. Most of the Gundam transfers suck though and a lot of it just isn't worth owning but I do have every series they've released on DVD and have never spent more than 60 bucks on an entire show.

I'd pay 300 bucks for a good Blu-Ray of G Gundam though.

I got most of them when a local Newbury Comics was clearing out and the rest from a great DVD Pacific sale awhile ago. Most of the Gundam transfers suck though and a lot of it just isn't worth owning but I do have every series they've released on DVD and have never spent more than 60 bucks on an entire show.

I'd pay 300 bucks for a good Blu-Ray of G Gundam though.

I've heard the quality isn't that great, I just want to have easy access to them and be able to put them on my anime shelf. I've also realized that I lost my copy of Hellsing ultimate 1-8 DVD and blu ray in my move up north :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've heard the quality isn't that great, I just want to have easy access to them and be able to put them on my anime shelf. I've also realized that I lost my copy of Hellsing ultimate 1-8 DVD and blu ray in my move up north :(

Pretty much no possible way that a deal isn't worked out in the next year or so to bring those dubs back, most likely from uncle moneybags Funimation. Wing at the least is free money and I'm sure the catalog sales on 00 and SEED wouldn't be bad either.

I would definitely pick up new copies of Wing, G, War in the Pocket. Would spend a bunch on a Turn A dub (this would KILL on toonami) and a couple more of the badly dubbed series could use a new version that they wouldn't get.

In fact let me spell this out in a handy list;

Good to go right away:

SEED (especially with the Blu-Ray versions already out there)

Needs New transfer, has a good enough dub to get by

Wing
G
0080:The War in the Pocket

Needs a new transfer and could use a better dub

08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam
ZZ (I think this one only had a Southeast Asian English dub)
Zeta

Needs a dub

Turn A Gundam

Everything on this list besides 00, Zeta, and ZZ has aired on Adult Swim or Toonami. The only ones I could see making the block again are Wing, G, 00, or SEED.

Novid

Banned
This was a strange night Saturday, not expecting a pentamill like last week - due to the "Toonami April First Moment" Fox Sports 1 and NBCSN had.

But this Lich Disciple believes anything can happen.

LycanXIII

So, umm, Jessica Nigri's latest cosplay is of Ace. Yeah.

BRrwRcoCIAAbKZY.jpg

Jintor

You get all the sub episodes for free, a majority of the dub episodes (with the rest rotating in and out), and the DVDs themselves can be gotten for $20-ish. So you can either deal with watching the subs, wait for the dubs to rotate back in, or spend $20 on the DVD. Plus the episodes air in english subs 1 hour after premiere. Whats more convenient than that?

What i want when I want it

It's like telling me you can't have indie game whatever on steam but you can get it on xbla. fantastic. But i don't want to play it on xbla, so I'll pass for now and come back when you've got a product i'd like to buy

Subs is great for people who aren't me. But I don't particularly want to watch One Piece subbed. That doesn't fit my use case.

Truthfully my main beef with Hulu is that they don't remove the ads entirely even if you pay per month. Those cads.

Jintor

Thanks Bass.

One Piece 84
The doctor's VO is horrrrrrrrrrrrribleeeeeeeeeee.

In fact, she sounds like... uh... a teenage hero of some description.

Also her design is severely offputting, but that's par for the course with One Piece

Jintor

One Piece 85

OP is unashamedly manipulative in its single-punch, incredibly blunt, almost morality-tale style of storytelling, but nonetheless it can prove really quite effective. The scene with the Doctor scaring Chopper off again was really powerful.

Poor Chopper

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
To be fair if he was smarter he'd be a lot stronger.

Indeed.
Oda has confirmed that a Devil Fruit's strength relies not on power, but on how creative the user is.

Bellamy was a victim of that. All he did was turn his legs into springs and bounce around.
Buggy could easily be one of the most powerful people in the world if he learned how to split himself into atoms and attack from the inside. Though I don't think that would happen because One Piece isn't Seinen.

Indeed.
Oda has confirmed that a Devil Fruit's strength relies not on power, but on how creative the user is.

Bellamy was a victim of that. All he did was turn his legs into springs and bounce around.
Buggy could easily be one of the most powerful people in the world if he learned how to split himself into atoms and attack from the inside. Though I don't think that would happen because One Piece isn't Seinen.

Yup. As dumb as Luffy is in every day life, he's actually pretty creative in battle. That's what makes his fights such a blast to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom