• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shocked, I am, SHOCKED that [as] lost the rights to Bebop. I guess whatever deal they had on auto-renew with Bandai finally ran out.

At least when it returns, it should be the HD version. And they are trying to get the "HD" version of FLCL too.

Plenty of straightforward answers in this Q&A so far.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Asked: Do you guys think there will be a shift again in animation back to action cartoons? I love regular show and all of that jazz but nothing beats a good samurai jack action packed cartoon! Or even justice league!

We have no idea. We hope so, but it’s not looking good!

looks like CN isnt going to give them any free material

foxuzamaki

dont know how this tumblr thing works but can someone ask them if they could consider picking up gungrave?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Reading between the lines, their contract for Bebop with Bandai must be up but they're talking to FUNimation about getting it back when they rerelease it next year.

zlCfzRI8xokcEWOtye

zlCfzRI8-V0fTgBR2H
zlCfzRI9G7E1it4l3i

zlCfzRI9O3AnVlwjaT
zlCfzRI9SU0fgY4ba0

zlCfzRI9aSE3HnCx1w
tumblr_mtvs2fs1pH1s9kej6o1_400.png

zlCfzRI9kUsBvzORxP
zlCfzRI9nMw_ef1nKH

zlCfzRI93Tgk_b9Vps
zlCfzRI9_8w_lXYaF0

zlCfzRI-FxUX_9geET

Later.
(The Liz pic didn't make it onto Miiverse... I blame R3-Fail-6 for this! But you guys get to see it!)

Awesome stuff, really love the bleach and one piece ones.

Will post week rankings in a bit after I take a shower and really wake up

I didn't really get that, he just said any great show has a chance.
Right...so Steins;Gate might be coming to toonami in the future. I think Funimation holds the license and they have a great relationship wiith toonami. Maybe it could replace SE since we know that's only getting one run through.

Right...so Steins;Gate might be coming to toonami in the future. I think Funimation holds the license and they have a great relationship wiith toonami. Maybe it could replace SE since we know that's only getting one run through.

Yes it has a chance, any show has a chance as long as it's an action show or a "great show".

Honestly I can't see them airing steins gate due to how slow and confusing its first two episodes are. It would probably lost people before they understood what was going on.

Yes it has a chance, any show has a chance as long as it's an action show or a "great show".

Honestly I can't see them airing steins gate due to how slow and confusing its first two episodes are. It would probably lost people before they understood what was going on.
But we know DeMarco isn't interested in old shows so that limits the pool. SG is relatively new, the license is held by a company who has supported the block, and it shouldn't cost a fortune to air. Seems like a win-win but I guess we'll just have to wait and find out!

Jeeze, sounds like most of the people asking for stuff have no taste.

With the exception of dbz (more likely we'd see Kai if it ever returned) all four of those shows have a very good chance of being on the block in a year or two and they'd all do incredibly well

But we know DeMarco isn't interested in old shows so that limits the pool. SG is relatively new, the license is held by a company who has supported the block, and it shouldn't cost a fortune to air. Seems like a win-win but I guess we'll just have to wait and find out!

He specifically doesn't want the block to become a "nostalgia" block. It hasn't stopped them from picking up older shows like naruto and one piece. I don't think the shows age matters as long as it's "new to toonami" in some fashion and they can easily claim "uncut" and make it new.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh right, FMAB last night was the episode where Ed almost got dinner AND a show.

& interesting, sounds like we might get another movie night. Wonder if it'll be based on a show they aired again.

mhs004

All of them would bring the ratings, and really fairy tail is the only show on that list that is especially "bad" and it's more average then bad.

I tried Fairy Tail once. I made it to episode 12 and stopped I will try it again I guess. I like the very beginning of Shippuden but then it goes downhill. I just don't see any of them besides Toriko as a good fit. Titan would be to I guess I would actually not mind seeing it on the block later in the night.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One of the big problems with the Toriko anime is how toned down it is.
The manga is really violent, but the anime removes a lot of it.

He specifically doesn't want the block to become a "nostalgia" block. It hasn't stopped them from picking up older shows like naruto and one piece. I don't think the shows age matters as long as it's "new to toonami" in some fashion and they can easily claim "uncut" and make it new.
Big O, IGPX, One Piece and Naruto ran on the previous incarnation of toonami...it pretty much is a nostalgia block. "Older" shows like Naruto and OP are still getting new episodes which probably played a role in them getting picked up. I think the show age does matter, they probably aren't airing something from the 90s just because it would be new to toonami.

EDIT: Unless they got a crazy good deal on it

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
One of the big problems with the Toriko anime is how toned down it is.
The manga is really violent, but the anime removes a lot of it.
That's kind of a problem of a decent amount of anime, especially Shonen Jump, toning down some of the content compared to the manga.

Big O, IGPX, One Piece and Naruto ran on the previous incarnation of toonami...it pretty much is a nostalgia block. "Older" shows like Naruto and OP are still getting new episodes which probably played a role in them getting picked up. I think the show age does matter, they probably aren't airing something from the 90s just because it would be new to toonami.
To be fair, Big O was already airing on Adult Swim before Toonami came back, IGPX is OWNED by Toonami, and while I can see your point with One Piece & Naruto, Naruto got censored back in the day, so they can say it's now uncut and One Piece is pretty much continuing where it left off, save for skipping the final episodes of an arc that they were previously on. I think it's more of the fact of "we're not gonna get really older shows that we haven't had before".

One Piece isn't really an older show considering where they started from was dubbed less than a year ago.
I'm pretty sure the stuff we are watching now aired in Japan sometime in 2004/2005. Yeah they just started dubbing the stuff we are on recently but the show itself is old.

And haven't subbed episodes been available in NA for a while? I can't recall...
That's kind of a problem of a decent amount of anime, especially Shonen Jump, toning down some of the content compared to the manga.

To be fair, Big O was already airing on Adult Swim before Toonami came back, IGPX is OWNED by Toonami, and while I can see your point with One Piece & Naruto, Naruto got censored back in the day, so they can say it's now uncut and One Piece is pretty much continuing where it left off, save for skipping the final episodes of an arc that they were previously on. I think it's more of the fact of "we're not gonna get really older shows that we haven't had before".
What does it matter if Big O was on Adult Swim? It aired season 1 on toonami in 2001 and season 2 in 2004. Same for IGPX, what does it matter if they own the property? It already aired in the early 2000s.

I guess Naruto technically has new content but I still consider this stuff classic since it already aired in the mid 2000s. This OP content is new but the show itself has been on toonami for a while, I remember watching the Alabasta arc back in the day.

But I get your point and mostly agree.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wows, so they actually lost the rights to Cowboy Bebop.

(O.O) ! Ha, well, had to happen sometime. I'm glad they intend to renew, even if I'm starting to DUMP multiple pictures per each episode with Bebop now... IT'S WORTH IT!

I'd be all for Steins;Gate making the cut, but does it have enough Action for the block? It'd be a nice tie-in to the game comin' out on PC over here... Bushi-Road seemed to be able to squeeze in promos with SAO, so maybe JAST-USA could do something similar with S;G?

5pb. Games also seems to be revving up to release more games in the US, so that could also give more incentive to put the brand onto the air...

Awesome stuff, really love the bleach and one piece ones.

Glad ya like them! :) Thanks!

Good morning

Good shit. The Foxy one is my fave.

Thanks, and 'mornin', even if this isn't applicable any more, ha. Glad ya guys like the Foxy one, makin Split-Head Macho was no easy task, lol.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm pretty sure the stuff we are watching now aired in Japan sometime in 2004/2005. Yeah they just started dubbing the stuff we are on recently but the show itself is old.

And haven't subbed episodes been available in NA for a while? I can't recall...

Toonami doesn't show non dubbed material and in this case Funimation didn't even stream these episodes until earlier this year.

The original material might be old but this show is for all intents and purposes rather on the new side for the English language audience.

If they had started one arc before where they did you'd have a point, Sky Island is where they started the dub and that was quite a few years ago.

mhs004

I think the problem with Toriko is the premise. It's not really suited for the American crowd and will be to weird for most. It's the reason why I love the manga/anime but I can see how it can turn people off. You can never know though it may be a break out hit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I kinda dig Toriko myself but its clear that even in Japan they've been trying to shove it down people's throats and it just isn't crazy popular, only regular popular.

Toonami doesn't show non dubbed material and in this case Funimation didn't even stream these episodes until earlier this year.

The original material might be old but this show is for all intents and purposes rather on the new side for the English language audience.

If they had started one arc before where they did you'd have a point, Sky Island is where they started the dub and that was quite a few years ago.
I'm well aware no subbed content is shown on TV but didn't they have an online streaming service? I'm asking if they had OP subbed because I don't remember.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm well aware no subbed content is shown on TV but didn't they have an online streaming service? I'm asking if they had OP subbed because I don't remember.

They didn't even stream the sub episodes of season 5 until this year. Did the entire season 2-3 episodes a week. It was great.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Valvrave 2-3

http://i.imgur.com/W1R6mmx.jpg

Jojo 2

This show is still fucking stupid

Fate/Zero 2

Death flags everywhere. Also, Altair wishes he could do shit like Assassin.

Darker than Black 2

Kirito wishes he was as badass as Hei.

Steins;Gate 2

IT"S A TRAP!

foxuzamaki

They didn't even stream the sub episodes of season 5 until this year. Did the entire season 2-3 episodes a week. It was great.

I never seen toriko so my biased comes out when they push that show so much and didnt try to push medaka box and because of that they had to wrap it up in a weird way :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom