• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhs004

Is it better? >.> Hard to steer my towards it with that.

Watch the first episode or read the first chapter yourself and see what you think. It's basically people beating the shit out of each other for food and it is amazing. Many different and interesting characters as well. It's you're typical battle shonen with a twist.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That's because Toriko is better.
015_10_31_2011_05_49_39.jpg
All seriousness, I haven't seen Toriko, so I can't voice any opinions on it compared to Medaka Box. Just a shame that Gainax never got around to animating one of the better arcs of Medaka Box, considering how crazy it gets & the second season ends RIGHT at the tease for it. Though I will admit, it takes some time since they were experimenting with what worked & what didn't early on in the manga.

Medaka Box was way better then Toriko, the anime sadly only teased the best character/arc before ending :(
Yeah, this.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Read the Toriko manga first, then watch the anime. Just keep in mind there's quite a few changes.

While Toriko is a lot of fun, there's another food-related manga in Jump that's just so much better.

mhs004

Read the Toriko manga first, then watch the anime. Just keep in mind there's quite a few changes.

While Toriko is a lot of fun, there's another food-related manga in Jump that's just so much better.

As a Toriko fan I agree with this post. Everyone should read Shokugeki no Soma.

Shokugeki no soma anime would be tits, sadly they'd probably cut down on the foodgasm's the made the series famous.

Toriko's concept is weird but once you accept it's world it's a lot of fun. Toonami viewers would probably dig it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
All seriousness, I haven't seen Toriko, so I can't voice any opinions on it compared to Medaka Box. Just a shame that Gainax never got around to animating one of the better arcs of Medaka Box, considering how crazy it gets & the second season ends RIGHT at the tease for it. Though I will admit, it takes some time since they were experimenting with what worked & what didn't early on in the manga.

Yeah, this.

dat kumagawa I used the kumagawa from neorice's thing for like 2 days until I saw that it was already being used so I had to change it D:

Cwarrior

Kumagawa is the best shonen jump character no one knows about

Who?

Medakoko box doesn't compare to Toriko unless you really like generic highschool setting where characters talk a lot but say nothing of value, that's medakuko in a nutshell.

I would like to see toonami air claymore, have they aired claymore in the past before? It' like berserk but with an organisation of female warriors doing all the fighting, it's surprisingly great.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So how did y'all like last night? It was the first Toonami I've ever missed 100% of, post-revival. :(

Next Saturday should be better. :)

Gonna have to catch up on Soul Eater now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So how did y'all like last night? It was the first Toonami I've ever missed 100% of, post-revival. :(

The themes of last night were Blind Incompetence and Unfathomable Sadness.

Well, the first 2.5 hours were terrible (SE being the lone exception) but Big O and Brotherhood saved the night. Next week should be awesome though.

mhs004

My cousin tried to get me into medaka box. We were at the point were she was in the dog suit then my dad walked in. Decided to call it a night and drink the embarrassment away.

My rankings for this week

1. Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
2. Soul Eater
3. Big O
4. Cowboy Bebop
5. Naruto (2nd half)
6. Clone Wars
7. One Piece
8. Bleach
9. Sword Art Online
10 IGPX
11. Naruto (1st half)

N/A InuYasha as I went to bed before it aired, though I'm hoping to be all caught up maybe not by the 5th but for sure the week after that so I won't be skipping it much longer.

I had to split up Naruto because the Ten Ten fight was truly awful, while the Shikamaru fight was truly awesome. IGPX gets a low rank because Liz is by far my least favorite character on the show and an episode focused on her doesn't hold my interest. Bleach is as high as it is mostly due to Ichigo's one line about Ice Tard dating his sister which made me laugh harder then anything else last night. Take that joke out and Bleach would be only above the Ten Ten fight.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
My cousin tried to get me into medaka box. We were at the point were she was in the dog suit then my dad walked in. Decided to call it a night and drink the embarrassment away.
Yeah, the series pretty much forgets about the whole request box thing pretty early on (though most of the first season focuses on it since it's more about getting the whole team/main supporting cast assembled and then the first big fight). I think they realized there was only so much they could do with it, so decided to have a ton of battles and such. I won't lie, those early episodes/chapters PALE in comparison when fights start happening/the first actual arc starts up. The second season is when the real fighting begins and the whole "taking requests" is forgotten about for the most part.

mhs004

Yeah, the series pretty much forgets about the whole request box thing pretty early on (though most of the first season focuses on it since it's more about getting the whole team/main supporting cast assembled and then the first big fight). I think they realized there was only so much they could do with it, so decided to have a ton of battles and such. I won't lie, those early episodes/chapters PALE in comparison when fights start happening/the first actual arc starts up. The second season is when the real fighting begins and the whole "taking requests" is forgotten about for the most part.

I've heard that and I most likely will start it again since I love crazy fights and powers.......however that moment will be burned into my mind forever.

foxuzamaki

A better explanation wold be medaka box makes you think its going to be a slice of life romcom anime with a mary sue character, but its actually a really overthetop even by shonen standards action shonen with a intentional mary sue character, it all boils down to this being satire on the shonen genre and you will see this as more and more impossible to actually defeat enemies show up.

Valvrave the Liberator 2 and 3
man, this show is duuuuuumb. but it's the good kind of dumb, just being so out-there and ridiculous that it's hard to hate.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 2
"bizarre" starts to creep into this show, and like i said last week it's less what's being told and more the melodramatic and over-the-top fashion in which it's told. but the story is still a lot more interesting than last week.

Fate/Zero 2
there's still one really talky scene that feels leftover from last week, but once it gets that out of its system the episode is smooth sailing. somehow it tops the bug scene, and then follows it up with another quite intense scene to close things out.

Darker Than Black 2
i'm not a huge fan of "person of the week" shows, and that's what this storyline reminds me of. it's rare for a show to get me to feel something for a character i'm never going to see again, and this one was really no different. it gave it a good try at least, and the action scene that followed was pretty good.

Steins;Gate 2
though lines like "one-banana cautious Carl" still sneak their way into the script, the characters feel very toned down from last week. and once you remove their general wackiness the show feels a little bit slow. nothing of particular interest happens until the end.

I'm going to try and knock out at least 5 episode of InuYasha a day, will probably do more but I at least want to watch 5 cause that should get me caught up by the 12th.

Just watched the battle with the false water god, was a pretty great fight all around got the whole team involved (minus Shippo lol).

I'm going to try and knock out at least 5 episode of InuYasha a day, will probably do more but I at least want to watch 5 cause that should get me caught up by the 12th.

Just watched the battle with the false water god, was a pretty great fight all around got the whole team involved (minus Shippo lol).

oh man, you're coming up on Jinenji, the worst episode of the show

Are any of the InuYasha video games good? I noticed that most of them were officially released in English and some of them are JRPGs which would seem to suit the series rather well.

How badly did they butcher Papermoon?

I thought it sounded good, half the thread were about to commit Seppuku though

Moaradin

They cut the first half of the song off. I don't think there was any way of that song being cut properly in that short of time.

It's so unfair that Bleach is the only show that gets the full openings ;_;

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Tier of Toonami video games:

Naruto>>>One Piece>>>>>>Bleach>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FMA>>>>>>>>>>Inuyasha>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bebop.

foxuzamaki

Naruto>>>One Piece>>>>>>Bleach>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FMA>>>>>>>>>>Inuyasha>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bebop.

Theres a bleach video game released for the wii that for some reason never came out for america, it played like the budokai tenkaichi series and it looked really awesome, for the life of me I still dont know why they never brought it over.

Bleach's Heat the Soul series was very good, better than OP's output in my opinion. Also, SAO, IGPX and Inuyasha all have video games, I haven't played them though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bebop's game is horrible.

The Naruto GCN games are some of the best 3D fighting games made. The PS2/3 games are also quite good if not for me.

The Bleach games made by Treasure are great. The other ones on the PSP are hit and miss for me.

The One Piece games are all great with the exception of Romance Dawn.

The FMA games have all been terrible disappointments.

The Ghost in the Shell games are interesting. One is god awful while the other is great.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I remember renting the 2nd FMA game on PS2 & was rather surprised in how decent it was. Kind of sucked the disc was bad in that after defeating a boss, the game would freeze & I couldn't continue on.

I also rented the Samurai Champloo game as well & thought it was okay, but got really repetitive.

The Soul Eater OP 2 cut isn't really that bad as you guys are making it out to be
the original song wasn't very good so who cares if it got cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom