• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

789shadow

Banned
Attack on Titan can descend into whole episodes of just people talking, with overly dramatic delivery and music to fool you into thinking something is actually happening.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
do i dare ask about your hate boner for this show

I don't hate this show, in fact, I actually rather like it. It just isn't the action show people were expecting, but also isn't pointless and unearnestly grimdark like Casshern Sins was.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hmmn, that makes me wonder what the reaction of Toonami-GAF would be to the newest of Tatsunoko revamps, Gatchaman Crowds, were to play on the block.

Hmmm... Yeah, only heard of this in passing, but just watched the OP. Errr... What? (o_O)

Watched "Darker than Black" finally, like a week or 2 ago... Toonami?

Attack on Titan can descend into whole episodes of just people talking, with overly dramatic delivery and music to fool you into thinking something is actually happening.

But it actually does it well! I'm fine with TV anime having to budget itself some, but beyond "episode 13.5", I've felt each episode has made up for it's loads of (well drawn) stills and long pans fairly well.

I totally notice Erin's Overly-dramatic delivery everytime he does it... and it kinda makes me smile. I want to see him as a waiter at a fast-food joint.

"The Fries....ARE MOST EXCELLENT, SIR! Your life will be FOREVER CHANGED! You'll think... Could I have continued to exist, if I had not TASTED THESE CHERISHED GOLDEN DELIGHTS?!?" *Thanks for getting me this job...AH-RU-MIN!I]

Wonder if he'll be half as overdone when playing Azure in Yatagarasu: AoC....

We have that already. It's called Bleach.

Naaa, Bleach fools no one with it. It's got too many characters for such a thing to happen. You always think "Hmmm... I wonder what ______ is doing right now?!" as they waste time with someone else.

The only things I know about AoT is there are a bunch of kids fighting giant humans(?) and there is a girl who eats a potato.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gatchaman Crowds is kind of like that, you either get it or you don't if you get it it's fantastic (so far)

Yea, it managed to effectually subvert being a monster of the week action show and it more along the lines of Ghost in the Shell only with Facebook, which is more then I can say for the likes of Day Break Illusion.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've been liking Gatchaman Crowds so far, but I can't help but feel it should've been its own thing instead of attaching the Gatchaman name on it. Oh well, probably got more people to check it out.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I've been liking Gatchaman Crowds so far, but I can't help but feel it should've been its own thing instead of attaching the Gatchaman name on it. Oh well, probably got more people to check it out.

Probably the only way such a thing got made, I suspect the same thing happened with Casshern Sins.

Yea, it managed to effectually subvert being a monster of the week action show and it more along the lines of Ghost in the Shell only with Facebook, which is more then I can say for the likes of Day Break Illusion.

Yeah, I enjoy DBI but it's just kind of there. Have you watched Sunday Without God I've really enjoyed that really well written show

Raxus

Save us Space Dandy!

Fate/Zero would be great if they could strike a deal.

AoT wouldn't be bad and it is going to air somewhere once it is inevitably dubbed.

Raxus

There are reasons for that, much like there are reasons why they try to get poor suckers to watch School Days for the first time.

In defense of MM it is great and the stuff is foreshadowed from the start where as School Days sucks apart from the twist that people love because they grew to hate all the characters.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
well, most of what i've seen in this thread is you randomly bring it up in contexts that don't sound particularly positive, so that kinda led me to "hate boner" i guess haha

Well, as mentioned Gatchman really isn't in the spirit of the old shows and it has its issues, so it made for good fodder for Bleach last week. The show I hate this season is Watamote.

There are reasons for that, much like there are reasons why they try to get poor suckers to watch School Days for the first time.

I'll get around to it eventually

Though if you have a chance for sure check out at least the first 3 episode of Sunday Without God. Honestly it's very enjoyable deserves a lot more attention then it's getting

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'll get around to it eventually

Though if you have a chance for sure check out at least the first 3 episode of Sunday Without God. Honestly it's very enjoyable deserves a lot more attention then it's getting

Eh, whenever I finally finish Moretsu Pirates.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
LOL. Do you block all the avatars that pop up Shard?

You watching 'The Eccentric Family' Shard?

It has been tempting, though I am getting tired of explaining my hatred, which stems from the cynical pandering to the socially awkward, the fact Tomoko is kind of a horrible person who also clearly has an undiagnosed mental disorder, to the fact that this is a one joke show that doesn't get any funnier, to the fact that Tomoko displays no growth and so on and so forth. Anyway, passed on The Eccentric Family, didn't have time to fit in to the schedule.

Regiruler

Obviously the next episode of SAO will be a timeskip and the entire mystery will be forgotten.

I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

Crocodile

You do that, you do that, and until you do, I am going to state your proclamation is baseless and without merit.

To be fair, if you're claiming the reverse, that Naruto came close to/equaled the popularity of DBZ in the middle of last decade, don't you need just as much support? Anyway, I think we can at least all agree Naruto was pretty popular for a decent bit no?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've got no proof about it either but it did have a boatload of merch and headlined Saturday and eventually weekday primetime.

We also know that when it hit filler hell the ratings started to suffer and they were offered Shippuden first and refused.

You do that, you do that, and until you do, I am going to state your proclamation is baseless and without merit.
Are you really making a fuss because I said DBZ at its peak was more popular in America than Naruto at its peak? Do I really need to provide empirical proof to back up that statement? I'm not going to spend hours researching sales figures and graphing data just to prove a point to one person; I'm basing this off of my personal experiences with both franchises growing up. You can go ahead and call my claim baseless all you want, getting into an argument over nitpicking isn't worth it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Are you really making a fuss because I said DBZ at its peak was more popular in America than Naruto at its peak? Do I really need to provide empirical proof to back up that statement? I'm not going to spend hours researching sales figures and graphing data just to prove a point to one person; I'm basing this off of my personal experiences with both franchises growing up. You can go ahead and call my claim baseless all you want, getting into an argument over nitpicking isn't worth it.

No, I am getting into a fuss because you used these words. "but it never even came close to the popularity of DBZ during it's peak." It isn't that you said DBZ is more popular then Naruto, you have claimed that DBZ is an order of magnitude more popular when that is not true. Here, some evidence is needed, we can start with this 20 minute roll of Naruto promos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIZybQOMjuY or the fact that Naruto once got a weekend marathon of nothing but Naruto and I can keep going. I have problem with this because this is the same lines that DBZ fans use to claim new Toonami isn't worth shit with out the great and mighty DBZ at the forefront.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DBZ is the Hulk Hogan of the american anime scene. The biggest ever, people thought it couldn't draw anymore, switches networks, continues to be the biggest draw for a few years with a slightly revamped gimmick brother.

No, I am getting into a fuss because you used these words. "but it never even came close to the popularity of DBZ during it's peak." It isn't that you said DBZ is more popular then Naruto, you have claimed that DBZ is an order of magnitude more popular when that is not true. Here, some evidence is needed, we can start with this 20 minute roll of Naruto promos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIZybQOMjuY or the fact that Naruto once got a weekend marathon of nothing but Naruto and I can keep going. I have problem with this because this is the same lines that DBZ fans use to claim new Toonami isn't worth shit with out the great and mighty DBZ at the forefront.

aSGGIwE.gif

I can't believe you're actually getting this bent out of shape over me saying DBZ was way more popular than Naruto in America at their respective peaks. You would think I was speaking ill of your first born child or something.

Posting a youtube compilation video of Naruto promos isn't evidence and doesn't really add any credibility to your point. DBZ had a ton of promos and teasers for specials when it was on toonami as well.

You bring up Naruto once getting a weekend marathon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd5jqWD8mk4

And that's just one example, do you really think toonami wouldn't run marathons of their most popular show? Come on man. Even so, this isn't hard evidence that one is more popular than the other. For that you need empirical data like I said in my last post and I'm not about to research sales for hours and graph the data just to prove a point.

I don't know why you're defending Naruto to the death. I didn't say it was a bad show, I actually like it a lot. I'm not sitting here trying to say DBZ is the superior property either, just that I think it was more mainstream and popular with American audiences. I mean heck, they're still releasing video games every year and Kai is very popular. The toonami tumblr is always bombarded with "When is DBZ coming back lol" questions too, why do you think that is?

Wat. Of course Naruto didn't come close to the popularity of DBZ. Is this really a thing that needs arguing? DBZ was a cultural phenomenon. You need only look at the overwhelming amount of DBZ merchandise for proof. There has to have been a million DBZ toylines during the show's peak. Not only that but there was also DBZ cardgames, DBZ Halloween costumes that were quite popular, and of course the home video releases that regularly hit the top 10 on the Billboard charts. Dont even get me started on the manga's popularity.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, the thing is Naruto can also boast all of those broad claims and I get bent out of shape because people act like Toonami was and is DBZ and nothing else.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
DBZ is the Hulk Hogan of the american anime scene. The biggest ever, people thought it couldn't draw anymore, switches networks, continues to be the biggest draw for a few years with a slightly revamped gimmick brother.

Actually from the perspective of the box office and merch sales, Stone Cold Steve Austin was the biggest draw of all time, which gets to my point, this question of DBZ and Naruto is not as cut and dried as I am being led to believe.

bigkrev

How is the Dragon Ball Z vs Naruto thing even an argument?

When was the last time you saw someone in a Naruto Hawaiian shirt? Now compare that to the number of DBZ Hawaiian shirts you can find at your average thrift shop

Actually from the perspective of the box office and merch sales, Stone Cold Steve Austin was the biggest draw of all time, which gets to my point, this question of DBZ and Naruto is not as cut and dried as I am being led to believe.

Actually, i'm pretty sure WWF's biggest year was 2000, which featured Rock on top and no Austin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom