• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT6| Where there's no such thing as filler

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I watched my One Piece and Soul Eater recordings, not too bad of episodes. My SAO recording, however.... somehow messed up. It didn't record all the way, so I got about 3/4 the episode, and a weird 3 minute comercial thing with a SAO card game thingy or something at the end.

So, SAO... murder and butts. Yup.

Good thing she wasn't stabbed in the ass. That would have been a sight to see

Kirito cares more about the lives of NPC then the lives of his own guild mates who he let die

imagine the bed sores they have irl

what is even happening

I hate Asuna with the force of a thousand fiery daggers already.

If we loose our virginity in the game, do we loose it in real life?

Save us, IGPX.

Aww shit. It's Stereotype Jones.

Now I know the creator of this show is an ass man

So at some point, someone programmed a noose in the game....so much fridge horror in this show.

Who runs around with so little health that they die from one knife stab?

Wtf at all of that

Thank god it's over, now we can watch something that isn't stupid as all holy hell.

Was she level 1 or something?

Insta-death daggers!!? srsy

I... uh... what

This is why I love toonami-gaf

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
My favorites. These are so good.

I'm gonna make myself have fun drawing Sauce-Kay, ha. Medusa too; I never liked the way I drew full lips, but so many lippy characters are giving me a lot of chances to improve (best thing about Clone Wars, lol)

zlCfzRGicWInB1hLM4

That one way my favorite btw

Glad it's been well received :)

Draw it, then take a pic of the gamepad/TV via camera & upload to online photo site like imgur instead of submitting it to Miiverse?

But I'm really not a SERVICE draw'r! Haha. Though it might also be one of those "too good to pass up" ops...

Yup, I'll just draw scenes involving toothpicks and straws, Sleeping, Tubs, and Mari's Rough first time meeting the Whiniest boy ever, and it'll be the most pervy Sketch Dump EVER! Will even throw in SAO Episode 4, A picture of Rangiku, And the old men zoomin in on Azimov's girlfriends boobs in Bebop Ep 1, to really up the ante! *Only dump ever deleted from Miiverse*.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Watching last night's FMA Brotherhood episode.

Holy crap, I still find Ed's face before making that cloud of ammonia hilarious....& then the moment near the end pretty badass.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
This is my first time watching the series, that impalement at the end had me shouting at the TV.

I was so caught up when I first saw it, that I thought the time after Winry Screams for ED, after Al lost his soul connection, was the end... so When Ed gets back up, and tries to change his fate... I went silent, and just let him do his thing.

The Agony he was going through while having the Pipe removed... The fact that he's using a porting of his later life, in order to even HAVE a life in the first place... I wanted to give Vic a high five for his voicework in the whole scene.

And the fact he probably shortened his life by a few years hung with me throughout the series... I kept wondering "Is this going to come back and bite him by series end somehow?!?"

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Still shocked that the Toonami nation still has not cracked the nature of the surprise next week.

Given the clues (something adventurous, a "television" premiere, 15 minute timeslot), my number one choice would be Kick-Heart.

That's just wishful thinking, of course, though.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
*shrugs* At least Sword Art Online is dumb fun (?). Casshern literally puts me to sleep, I was honestly glad to see that and Deadman Wonderland bite the dust.

I thought the conclusion of the first arc of Sword Art Online was decent, I mean everything from the first episode until the discovery of the secret behind the game was a waste of time, but the satisfaction of things wrapping up was nice..............until they started the next arc, once I saw the direction it was going in I bailed. Yes, the show will digress from the point it's at now.

SAO isn't a good show, but I think it's a good show for Toonami at this point. Relatively new, flashy enough, plenty of fights, not overly complex or intellectual. It's not for the veteran anime fan, but for the younger set (13-ish) who don't have much exposure to other shows. There are people who like it, it was heavily requested and people are watching it. Then again there are people who love the Bleach filler. Different strokes, I guess.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
*shrugs* At least Sword Art Online is dumb fun (?). Casshern literally puts me to sleep, I was honestly glad to see that and Deadman Wonderland bite the dust.

I thought the conclusion of the first arc of Sword Art Online was decent, I mean everything from the first episode until the discovery of the secret behind the game was a waste of time, but the satisfaction of things wrapping up was nice..............until they started the next arc, once I saw the direction it was going in I bailed. Yes, the show will digress from the point it's at now.

SAO isn't a good show, but I think it's a good show for Toonami at this point. Relatively new, flashy enough, plenty of fights, not overly complex or intellectual. It's not for the veteran anime fan, but for the younger set (13-ish) who don't have much exposure to other shows. There are people who like it, it was heavily requested and people are watching it. Then again there are people who love the Bleach filler. Different strokes, I guess.

you have a pretty reasonable post

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

Really can't argue with this. SAO so far has been a "so bad, it's funny" show for me & at the very least, it's memorably bad. Casshern, which I was looking forward to thanks to Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, was just.....dull most of the time. For a younger fan of anime, I guess I can see SAO being interesting to them & really, your points sum it up. I remember watching some anime when I was younger that nowadays, I probably wouldn't consider good, but I still enjoyed them as a kid & I'm sure to some people, SAO will probably be one of those early animes they watch that'll make them check out other stuff.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, SAO: Gateway Anime for the Modern day "Annie-May? Na, my sister's Bessie-Sue!" Casual Crowd?

Sounds very Toonami. Just a bit pervy-er, and with less screaming and Ki-levels than normal.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SAO is the greatest anime of all time. It gets me. It understands what it is to be a tortured pretty boy alpha swimming in a sea of incompetence and pussy. It is the greatest thing produced in my twelve long years alive.

SAO is the greatest anime of all time. It gets me. It understands what it is to be a tortured pretty boy alpha swimming in a sea of incompetence and pussy. It is the greatest thing produced in my twelve long years alive.

I read this in my Haar voice and started to die XD

ckohler

Well, hope you guys get used to butcher-central.

Oh yeah guys, 4 weeks until OP2....It's actually episode 31.

man, the editing job for Soul Eater's first ending was atrocious

Have I said how much I despise the edit of this most recent ending for Soul Eater. Why? Why did they shift the music around so awkwardly only to have the it end in the most atrocious audio edit I've ever heard!? They could have just taken the first 40 seconds of the original 3rd ending and just used that! It was 5 seconds less than the allowed time. Or just taken the send half and use that.

But no... they take the video of the second half of the ending and then dub over it with the music from the beginning?!?! It's terrible. It doesn't sync with the music in any way, which is what made the original version so great. Ugh. I may actually write Funimation a strongly worded e-mail asking them why they butchered it so badly and provide links to hugely improved versions I made myself.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
it saddens me that we're painting SAO as this generation's InuYasha/DBZ

It was less about the quality of the shows, in this case, and more about their entry-level-anime-representation, though.

(aside: Was YYH ever as popular in the US as it deserved to be? I don't know how many times I saw the Ninku Movie / Poltergeist Report sitting on Blockbuster shelves... even in the VHS days...)

It's that "I've seen all of anime, because I saw this one show, that has everything anime is about!" feel. That show that has an appeal to people who couldn't tell you it was anime (they probably can now!) but as soon as you say "The people with those big eyes, and small mouths!" they suddenly get it. (Though now it's probably more like "The shows with the Lolita girls in unfortunate situations, boys who look like the girls, but without creeper camera angles, and all the weird stuff going on!")

SAO hasn't reached these levels yet... but it's... kind'a... good... for Toonami, if it becomes that style of secret guilty pleasure to a mass of people.

It was less about the quality of the shows, in this case, and more about their entry-level-anime-representation, though.

(aside: Was YYH ever as popular in the US as it deserved to be? I don't know how many times I saw the Ninku Movie / Poltergeist Report sitting on Blockbuster shelves... even in the VHS days...)

It's that "I've seen all of anime, because I saw this one show, that has everything anime is about!" feel. That show that has an appeal to people who couldn't tell you it was anime (they probably can now!) but as soon as you say "The people with those big eyes, and small mouths!" they suddenly get it. (Though now it's probably more like "The shows with the Lolita girls in unfortunate situations, boys who look like the girls, but without creeper camera angles, and all the weird stuff going on!")

SAO hasn't reached these levels yet... but it's... kind'a... good... for Toonami, if it becomes that style of secret guilty pleasure to a mass of people.

well, i meant the possibility that this will be the show that gets some people into anime

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
well, i meant the possibility that this will be the show that gets some people into anime

Well, it's not painting a picture that's really unlike modern anime though, right? (Which I find to be the real shame!) And, it makes the really, REALLY good stuff all that more profound.

Lead a SAOby to Bebop, and watch him grow into a Cowboy Be-Man! Or something like that.

Well, it's not painting a picture that's really unlike modern anime though, right? (Which I find to be the real shame!) And, it makes the really, REALLY good stuff all that more profound.

Lead a SAOby to Bebop, and watch him grow into a Cowboy Be-Man! Or something like that.

i do not have that kind of confidence in people, mainly because i've seen how positively reviewed Sword Art Online is.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The DBZ of this generation? Hmm, tough to say. I would say that last decade Naruto came the closest in terms of pop culture penetration. I still remember seeing kids running around the mall with head protectors in 2006/2007ish.

I don't know. Bleach is popular, it isn't where Dragonball Z was but it and Naruto/Naruto Shippuden are about as close as we're going to get. Oddly enough I think DBZ Kai is the DBZ of this generation. Dragonball Z just refuses to die.

Attack on Titan is going to do very well once it gets a dub. That has been the new hotness, wouldn't be shocked if Toonami is eyeing it really hard. They might be saving their duckets with CN shows to acquire that or something. Personally, I've found Attack on Titan extremely overrated but it has an immense following already. If sub fans fell in love with it, so will the dub only crowd. And it would be a good fit for Toonami, since it does have some graphic scenes to it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
YYH was very popular in the USA during the early to mid 2000s

I alwayw felt it as kinda... underground popular. They got te PS2 game out here, though! So... I guess there's that? But I never felt it did as well as it should, especially with the Cartoon Network "Shift the Final parts to the DEATH SLOT!" crap...

i do not have that kind of confidence in people, mainly because i've seen how positively reviewed Sword Art Online is.
SAO is a pretty good looking show if you've got little else in your mind to compare it to. And fanservice is a powerful tool for making one overlook shoddy... well, anything, and SAO isn't a shame to throw out some distraction-factor every once in a while, to bridge a neophyte towards the next interesting segment.

Attack on Titan is going to do very well once it gets a dub. That has been the new hotness, wouldn't be shocked if Toonami is eyeing it really hard. They might be saving their duckets with CN shows to acquire that or something. Personally, I've found Attack on Titan extremely overrated but it has an immense following already. If sub fans fell in love with it, so will the dub only crowd. And it would be a good fit for Toonami, since it does have some graphic scenes to it.

For all I've seen of Titan (up to this recent stuff with the
female
Titan, I don't feel it's overrated at all. The only thing I feel awkward concerning it, is that they can really have some slow overall eps. But it feels like that's all to be able to put superior action sequences into a TV show budget, and they don't seem to get out of their best for too long.

Even the slow stuff normally ends with SOMETHING exciting.

And I really like the drawing quality of the show. Fantastic meaty linework, constant manga-isn looks of desperation and fear, and the show knows how to pull it's dynamic, heroic, and tragic moments quite well, overall.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Hmmn, that makes me wonder what the reaction of Toonami-GAF would be to the newest of Tatsunoko revamps, Gatchaman Crowds, were to play on the block.

Hmmn, that makes me wonder what the reaction of Toonami-GAF would be to the newest of Tatsunoko revamps, Gatchaman Crowds, were to play on the block.

I don't think Toonami gaf would enjoy it, it's not really an action series, at least not in the traditional sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom