• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 10 Evil Actors

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

Mama Robotnik said:
David Warner
DAVID WARNER
DAVID WARNER

If anyone belongs on a top-ten of evil actors, its this man. His absence voids the list, despite some good entries.

His Ra's al Ghul is fucking awesome.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Eh, there are some people that I would have put on it..

but it's hard to complain about the ones they chose.

Also, ITT GAF lists a lot of people who played a villian really well one time only and are confused why they aren't on the list.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
imgChristopher%20Walken2.jpg

Seriously, no Walken? And no Walken on the first page?

EDIT: Wait, i'm the first to mention this? Damn.

Also, Christopher Lee, definitely the biggest omission.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Hmm, I agree the lack of Walken is surprising. How about Anthony Hopkins? Although, I can only think of that one specific evil role.

harSon said:

I know the incessant love for him bugs you, but for my money, he hit just the right mixture of evil, funny, charming, and badassery to make him just perfect. I had an experience that was the opposite of yours; where you said you didn't feel like he was irreplaceable in that role, I say that he is possibly the only actor on the planet who could have played the role as well as he did.

harSon

Banned
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
I know the incessant love for him bugs you, but for my money, he hit just the right mixture of evil, funny, charming, and badassery to make him just perfect. I had an experience that was the opposite of yours; where you said you didn't feel like he was irreplaceable in that role, I say that he is possibly the only actor on the planet who could have played the role as well as he did.

A better villain that Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith, Daniel Day Lewis as Daniel Plainview or Bill the Butcher, Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh, Denzel Washington as Alonzo, Forest Whitaker as Idi Amin, Heath Ledger as the Joker, Sergi López in Pan's Labyrinth, Ian Mcshane as Al Swearengen, or Michael K Williams as Omar?

I never said I didn't like Chritoph Waltz' character or performance, I simply wasn't as floored as some other people were. But I do think labeling it as the best villain of the decade is absurd, but I suppose I shouldn't force my opinions on you.

harSon said:
A better villain that Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith, Daniel Day Lewis as Daniel Plainview or Bill the Butcher, Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh, Denzel Washington as Alonzo, Forest Whitaker as Idi Amin, Heath Ledger as the Joker, Sergi López in Pan's Labyrinth, Ian Mcshane as Al Swearengen, or Michael K Williams as Omar?

I never said I didn't like Chritoph Waltz' character or performance, I simply wasn't as floored as some other people were. But I do think labeling it as the best villain of the decade is absurd, but I suppose I shouldn't force my opinions on you.

I don't really consider Day-Lewis in TWBB a villain. The Matrix was 1999.

For me, the only ones on that list that are on par with Waltz are Ledger and Bardem. What all three have in common is that they take what could be a flat character and turn him into a multi-layered human being.

I never meant to intimate that you didn't like his character/performance, just that you tend to be a bit skeptical of the absurdly high praise that he's garnered. Myself, I think he deserves every word of it; aside from Ledger and Bardem, I can't think of anybody else who was as fun and interesting to watch in their roles.

harSon

Banned
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
The Matrix was 1999./QUOTE]

You said best villain of the last decade, which includes 1999 until 2011 hits. Agent Smith (from the original Matrix) would probably be my top villain of the last 10 years, Lil Ze in City of God is a close runner up.

Chojin

At first I thought this was a list of evil British actors. Then I realized that having an english accent makes you evil. :p

harSon

Banned
teruterubozu said:
The complete lack of women in this thread is telling...

n5nb6e.jpg

11uak90.jpg

15mjpsz.jpg

and they're all way scarier.

In a thread about top villainous roles there would be plenty of women, but I can't think of many actresses who make careers out of playing these types of roles.

Raydeen

Lord Error said:
Not a bad list, but it could use some more Kurtwood Smith and Christopher Lee. *edit* and hell yes, Jack Nicholson!

2itlxk8.jpg
25q3jme.jpg
24gty4i.jpg
wsr3o4.jpg

I hope they get Kurtwood Smith to reprise the role for the remake. How could you possibly picture anyone else as Bodiker?

DonMigs85

harSon said:
In a thread about top villainous roles there would be plenty of women, but I can't think of many actresses who make careers out of playing these types of roles.
maybe just
9EC41F4CC372421A8F417819429AEB8C.jpg

and
besen01_101Dalmations-deVil.jpg

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Checking list for Christopher Lee

Yeah....... umm.... this isn't top 10 anything. There are some definite good ones on there but one of the greatest 'evil' actors in the history of film? Yeah...

(And it makes me VERY happy that posters here haven't missed him :) )

Rich!

DMczaf said:
Sean Bean as 006 was so awesome. Come back for Bond 23!

Yeah, flat as a pancake. :lol

On topic though, Dennis Hopper is obviously one of the greatest 'bad guy' actors ever. And Christopher Lee is a worthy mention too, he was absolutely perfect as Scaramanga (The Man with the Golden Gun).

But then, that's to be expected considering he's Ian Fleming's stepcousin.

HylianTom

Banned
FabCam said:
I would give this guy a shout:

ben_linus.jpg

While not technically fully evil, he plays his character so damn well. One of the best TV actors of the time IMO.

He played one of my favorite TV villains of all time on The Practice. Such a great, great performance.

Raiden

Banned
dexter-main.jpg

I am terribly sorry but i win this thread....

If we're only posting current villains, you can look at him either way you want, but he is still murdering people, thus making him a villain, ...

Aselith

Where's Malcolm McDowell?

Whoever wrote that list seems to have a hardon for Harry Potter and Edge of Darkness. Maybe those are the only movies that he has watched?

I really like Irons the most. He just has one of the most badass voices in existence. He probably makes guys shit their pants and girls' panties drop just by saying hello.

Henry Fonda is a real bad dude too.

Gary Oldman is great at hamming it up too. But I wasn't really fond of him in Leon, I don't really like that movie much.

Also if you guys want to see Jason Isaacs be mean as fuck watch "Brotherhood" the short lived Showtime series that kicks Dexter's arse. He's brutal in there.

EDIT: I love Inglorious Basterds but the more I watch it the more I think Waltz was so overrated as the villain. He's great and should win the Oscar this year. But he doesn't have even half the quiet intensity that Anton Chigurh had. And Daniel Plainview is definitely a great contender for villain of the decade alongside The Joker.

Put them all in a room with Hannibal Lecter. I'd watch that.

Yeah there's definitely "scary" black people in movies, but there isn't one actor who's consistently casted for evil roles. Maybe Wesley Snipes comes closest? He was pretty evil in New Jack City and Demolition Man. But most of the time he's being falsely accused of being evil.

Anyway, I give another vote for William Dofoe:
willem_dafoe_image__4_.jpg

Even when he's smiling, he looks creepy.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Cindres said:
imgChristopher%20Walken2.jpg

Seriously, no Walken? And no Walken on the first page?

EDIT: Wait, i'm the first to mention this? Damn.

Also, Christopher Lee, definitely the biggest omission.
Was looking for this

Shame on you gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom