• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 10 Myths about Black Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRed

Banned
Found this on another board and as a black man thought it was very interesting. thought I would pass it along to you guys to talk about.

http://eurweb.com/story.cfm?id=17025

One of the most glaring problems facing African Americans is the media’s love affair with Blacks, especially Black men. They love having us on the news, but the coverage is largely relegated to perpetual poverty, crime and other “bad” behavior. While we are neither the dominant nor the majority population, the negative media coverage is disproportionately high when it comes to us.

Many of our other difficulties stem from that poor media coverage, which leads many to believe that there are more of us doing bad things than there really are. It also leads many to the belief that, accordingly, there are less of us doing good and positive things, except for those laughing Negroes on UPN.

It is no secret that African Americans have an image problem. It is also no secret that the media misrepresents African Americans. What is ostensibly a secret is that many of the most egregious things being said about Black people are being perpetuated by Black people.

In another Black Top Ten list, I’d like to dispel some of those myths. Accordingly, these are the top ten things that Black people should stop saying about Black people:

The Top Ten Black Myths

1 There are more Black men in prison than in college.
False. The numbers that people quote are ALL of the Black men in prison, versus ONLY the free young Black men of college age, which spans the late teens to the early twenties.
The misleading “evidence” comes from studies such as the one conducted in 2000 by the Justice Policy Institute (JPI), a Washington-based research group. JPI found that there were 791,600 Black men in jail or prison and “only” 603,032 of them in colleges or universities. They presented the findings as “evidence” of more Black men in prison than in college.
Any of us can do the math: Out of the 33.7 million African Americans that the 2000 census found, less than one million are in jail or prison (.792 million).
The reality is that while there are too many of us in prison and more of us in there than others, there are NOT more of us on the inside than on the outside.

2 Black people, particularly Black men are lazy.
False. How can a people who built this nation and did it for free suddenly become the laziest people in the nation?
According to the US Census Bureau, 68.1% of all Black men and 62.3% of Black women over the age of 16 are in the civilian labor force, compared to 73% of white men. And 59.9% of white women. With racial discrimination and other challenges, more of us are still working than sitting at home.
While the majority of poor people in America are Black, the majority of Black people are NOT poor. Of the 33.7 million Blacks in this nation, 8.1 million have incomes below the poverty line.
Now, what we do with our money is another story…

3 Black people abuse the Welfare system and are swelling it beyond capacity.
False. First, the actual number of Black families on Welfare has been decreasing since the early 1970’s, when 46% of the recipients were Black. By the end of the 20th century, that number was down to 39%, as compared to 38% whites who were non-Hispanic. If the comparison were strictly based on race without ethnic identification, whites clearly outnumber Blacks on the Welfare rolls.
In addition, 40% of the families on Welfare have only one child, while the number having five or more is only 4%. And, by the last decade of the 20th century, Welfare accounted for just over 2% of the Federal Budget, while defense accounted for 24%.
Benefit programs for farmers and big businesses far outweigh the Welfare program. For example, US Airways was recently given permission to tap into a $718 million federally guaranteed loan package to fund daily operations while in bankruptcy proceedings. Who is abusing welfare?

4. Most Black men are married to white women.
False. As of 1998, interracial marriages composed of a white person and a Black person accounted for only .6% of all marriages in the nation. Of all interracial marriages, only 16% are Black male to white female.

5. Affirmative Action unfairly provides opportunities for Blacks.
False. First, Affirmative Action is inappropriately used to define Black preferential treatment and “quotas” but it was actually designed to benefit a number of groups who have been discriminated against, creating parity in the workplace. Since the 1970’s, Affirmative Action has benefited white women more than any other group. Secondly, no one who perpetuates this myth ever talks about other types of Affirmative Action, which benefit other races. For example, the Japanese descendants in America, who were each rewarded $20,000 in 1988 as reparations for internment during WWII, or the legacy programs which benefit people such as the current dimwit in the white house.

6 Let’s kill two ignorant rumors with the pursuit of truth: Poor Blacks would be better off if they stopped using drugs and took better care of their communities; and, Blacks need to stop pushing drugs to their own people.
False. This one always confuses me, because Blacks can’t even distribute their own movies or music, yet still get blamed for importing and distributing ILLEGAL drugs. If a Black man can’t drive down the street without being racially profiled and stopped, what makes anyone think that he could fly a planeload of drugs into the nation and distribute them from state to state and city to city? The drug dealers in the ‘hood make a lot of money, but nowhere near the cash generated by the true drug lords who import it and distribute it to inner cities across the nation.

7 Blacks suffer from Black on Black crime.
True, but misleading. Whites also suffer from white on white crime. Many crimes, including murder, rape and robbery, are crimes of location, not color. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, 85% of African Americans report another Black person as the perpetrator of the crime and 80% of white murders were committed by other whites. However, when race does play a role in crime, the victims of violent crimes are more likely to be Black, while the perpetrators, are more likely to be white.

8 Blacks commit more crimes than whites.
False. Neo-Conservative Whites and self-hating Blacks notwithstanding, the reality of racism in the justice system has to be understood in order to get into the reasons for the high number of Blacks in prison.
In an assessment of the impact of crime on minority communities, the National Minority Advisory Council on Criminal Justice concluded that “America is a classic example of heavy-handed use of state and private power to control minorities and suppress their continuing opposition to the hegemony of white racist ideology.”
Further, according to “The Real War on Crime,” a report by the National Criminal Justice Commission, “African-American arrest rates for drugs during the height of the ‘drug war’ in 1989 were five times higher than arrest rates for whites even though whites and African-Americans were using drugs at the same rate.”
Finally, by 1990, according to the Federal Judicial Center, the average sentences for African Americans for weapons and drug charges were 49% longer than for whites who had been convicted of the same crimes.
The simple truth is, more of “us” may be in court, but more of “them” are actually committing crimes.

9 Women outnumbering men in college is a Black phenomenon.
False. According to the US Department of Education, male undergraduates account for 44 percent of student population, while female undergraduates account for 56 percent. This is not race specific. There are some real reasons for it and I will deal with it in an upcoming column.

10 Black people are incapable of sustaining businesses in their own communities.
False. We had great success before integration. In fact, by 1900, the number of African-American businesses nationally, totaled 40,000, including the Greenfield Bus Body Company, which manufactured automobiles, and a hotel in New York City valued at $75,000. By 1908, we had 55 privately owned banks. By 1912, there were two millionaires, Madam C.J. Walker (hair care) and R. R. Church (real estate).
By 1923, Tulsa, Oklahoma was home to The Black Wall Street, an African American community of 11,000. Which featured nine hotels, nineteen restaurants and thirty-one grocery stores and meat markets, ten medical doctors, six lawyers, and five real estate and loan insurance agencies, complete with five private planes.

Okay, now there are the myths and the real stats to dispel them. Use them to stop the spread of ignorance, even if it has been spewing out of your very own mouth.

Darryl James is a syndicated columnist and the author of “Bridging The Black Gender Gap,” which is also the basis of his lectures. James was awarded the 2004 Non-fiction Award for his book on the Los Angeles Riots at the Seventh Annual Black History Month Book Fair and Conference in Chicago. He can be reached at djames@TheBlackGenderGap.com.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
That's not a myth....

Also we CAN all jump really high!

Cimarron

Good stuff! Also *ahem* Notice how one of the things they didn't try to disprove was the legendary size of our manhood. It's all true ladies... all true! :D

1 There are more Black men in prison than in college.
False. The numbers that people quote are ALL of the Black men in prison, versus ONLY the free young Black men of college age, which spans the late teens to the early twenties.
The misleading “evidence” comes from studies such as the one conducted in 2000 by the Justice Policy Institute (JPI), a Washington-based research group. JPI found that there were 791,600 Black men in jail or prison and “only” 603,032 of them in colleges or universities. They presented the findings as “evidence” of more Black men in prison than in college.
Any of us can do the math: Out of the 33.7 million African Americans that the 2000 census found, less than one million are in jail or prison (.792 million).
The reality is that while there are too many of us in prison and more of us in there than others, there are NOT more of us on the inside than on the outside.

Wait...so this is true? I had never heard this before, but in trying to debunk this, the writer proved it. It's saying that there are more total black men in prison than there are in college. At the end of that little tangent he says there are less black men in prison than not, which is obviously true. But he says nothing about college.

"JPI found that there were 791,600 black males in jail or prison and only 603,032 black males in colleges or universities. They presented the findings as evidence of more Black men in prison than in college."(I re-worded it a bit to make it read how I understood it.)

Is that not evidence?

Ripclawe

Banned
#6 makes no sense whatsoever.

False. This one always confuses me, because Blacks can’t even distribute their own movies or music,

Wait...so this is true? I had never heard this before, but in trying to debunk this, the writer proved it.

Yes, going by those numbers he switched by the end of his answer to include everyone.

Ristamar

Heh. You're right, Mana. He meant to point out that it's an unfair comparison, but the statement is true. Poor wording on his part.

aoi tsuki

Manabanana said:
Wait...so this is true? I had never heard this before, but in trying to debunk this, the writer proved it. It's saying that there are more total black men in prison than there are in college. At the end of that little tangent he says there are less black men in prison than not, which is obviously true. But he says nothing about college.

"JPI found that there were 791,600 black males in jail or prison and only 603,032 black males in colleges or universities. They presented the findings as evidence of more Black men in prison than in college."(I re-worded it a bit to make it read how I understood it.)

Is that not evidence?
The way i'm reading it, the numbers taken, according this piece, were only of black men of all ages versus black men of "college age", which doesn't take into account those who were outside of the "college age" range.

False. As of 1998, interracial marriages composed of a white person and a Black person accounted for only .6% of all marriages in the nation. Of all interracial marriages, only 16% are Black male to white female.
i've heard "a lot" but not "most". Casual observance should tell you it's not "most". i can only think of a handful of black men who i've seen with white women in the past couple of years, let alone be married to them. i don't think there's any group in the US who marries outside their race as a majority.

SKluck

Banned
10 Black people are incapable of sustaining businesses in their own communities.
False. We had great success before integration. In fact, by 1900, the number of African-American businesses nationally, totaled 40,000, including the Greenfield Bus Body Company, which manufactured automobiles, and a hotel in New York City valued at $75,000. By 1908, we had 55 privately owned banks. By 1912, there were two millionaires, Madam C.J. Walker (hair care) and R. R. Church (real estate).
By 1923, Tulsa, Oklahoma was home to The Black Wall Street, an African American community of 11,000. Which featured nine hotels, nineteen restaurants and thirty-one grocery stores and meat markets, ten medical doctors, six lawyers, and five real estate and loan insurance agencies, complete with five private planes.

http://www.freep.com/news/locway/detplan21e_20040921.htm
The crux of the plan is the creation of a business district -- dubbed African Town -- that would be funded in part with city money and made up of black-owned businesses catering to a black clientele.

The report also complains that immigrants from Mexico, Asia and the Middle East are stealing resources, jobs and other opportunities from blacks and calls on city leaders to stop the economic shift.

The report does not call on the city to stop immigration -- and the city wouldn't have any power to stop it, even if it wanted to -- but the report does call on the city to level the playing field between blacks and the newcomers who it says are economically surpassing them.

Detroit is the first city to begin to implement his Powernomics philosophy, Anderson said. He wants to create a business district for blacks, like Mexicantown or Greektown, that would include a fish factory with its own hatchery, black hair-care supplier, popcorn factory and fruit juice producers.
Detroit is 80% black, btw. I included the last part just because I found it particularly funny.

Ripclawe

Banned
wait, my mistake. The writer goes over the figures

http://www.techcentralstation.com/090202B.html

Moreover, it is misleading to compare the number of African American men who are incarcerated with the simple number of college students. It is a simple fact that a man can go to prison at any age, but is far more likely to be in college between the ages of 18 and 24 than at any other time in his life. The more meaningful comparison here is to look at how many men of college age are enrolled in college or under custodial supervision. When the figures are broken down by age, a much different picture emerges, one that is much less helpful to the Justice Policy Institute's case. There were 469,000 African American males between the ages of 18 and 24 who were enrolled in college in 2000, compared to 180,000 in prison or jail. An African American male of college age is therefore over two and a half times as likely to be in college than in prison. That is a significant difference.

ShadowRed

Banned
Alex Anderson said:
Oh, Jesus. Like anyone on the face of the earth would believe this.

Actually I've run into a shitload of people black and white who have claimed that, all the "good" black men are marrying white women. Usually right after they lament that all the "good" brothas are in jail or dead. Either way I have thought if they why "good" black men or brathas they wouldn't be married to white women or in jail.

with its own hatchery, black hair-care supplier, popcorn factory and fruit juice producers.

hatchery.gif

???

Willco

Hollywood Square
TOP 10 MYTHS ABOUT WHITE GUYS

1. White guys can't dance.

TRUE. Have you ever seen white guys dance? It's patheti-sad! And you know some white guy invented the Elaine Dance. We are automatically served at birth.

2. White guys hate black guys.

FALSE. Since the 1800s, white people have moved their preference from hating black guys to hating hispanic guys. We love black people now. Plus, we're hoping they forget we owe 'em a few things (mules, acres, etc.).

3. White guys like mayonaise.

TRUE. I've got nothing here.

4. All white guys are serial killers.

FALSE. HELLO, BELTWAY SNIPERS! They're the myth busters on that one!

5. White guys can't be running backs.

TRUE. The last white running back I can think of is John Riggins and he is practically black. And the only white back I know on the tip of my tongue of is Mike Alstott and he's a fullback. That's the thing, in a bit of reverse racism, all black guys are running backs, while if you're white, you're instantly a fullback. There are tons of white fullbacks.

6. White guys look good bald.

FALSE. Yeah, the Nazis kinda ruined that look for us. THANKS A LOT HITLER.

7. There are more white men in college than in jail.

TRUE. Hah, silly, white people don't go to jail. We have a special decoder ring that tells judges we're authentic white citizens and we get to pay a fine, if that, and enjoy the rest of our lives playing videogames and eating tacos.

8. White guys are habitual cheaters.

TRUE. All the villains in movies are white guys. Why? Because we cheat like hell. We hate to lose. We cheat on women too, because we know we can. Plus, we can grow real evil mustaches you can twirl. Suck on that minorities.

9. White guys knock down magazine racks in videogame stores.

NEXT QUESTION.

10. Only white guys commit incest.

UNFORTUNATELY, TRUE. I don't know what's wrong with 'em, but you never see a brotha caught with his pants down doing the nasty with his cousin... OLIMARIO.

Willco

Hollywood Square
etiolate said:
This list is lacking big black penis, black men love big girls, watermelon, chicken and hot sauce.

I have a big penis, I love big girls, I enjoy watermelon, love fried chicken and put hot sauce on everything. Am I black?

Boogie

How about this myth:

Black people are better athletes than white people

*drops thrity-foot pole and flees from thread*

Xenon

6 Let’s kill two ignorant rumors with the pursuit of truth: Poor Blacks would be better off if they stopped using drugs and took better care of their communities;

Quit mowing your lawns and go smoke a blunt!

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Willco said:
9. White guys knock down magazine racks in videogame stores.

NEXT QUESTION.

Just when I thought this joke had finally died :lol

Loki

Count of Concision
ShadowRed said:
6 Let’s kill two ignorant rumors with the pursuit of truth: Poor Blacks would be better off if they stopped using drugs and took better care of their communities; and, Blacks need to stop pushing drugs to their own people.
False. This one always confuses me, because Blacks can’t even distribute their own movies or music, yet still get blamed for importing and distributing ILLEGAL drugs. If a Black man can’t drive down the street without being racially profiled and stopped, what makes anyone think that he could fly a planeload of drugs into the nation and distribute them from state to state and city to city? The drug dealers in the ‘hood make a lot of money, but nowhere near the cash generated by the true drug lords who import it and distribute it to inner cities across the nation.

This is obfuscatory nonsense. Nobody is denying that it is "outsiders" who are ultimately importing the drugs into those communities, but since when is "well, they brought illicit substances into close proximity with me" an excuse for using them? Where is the personal responsibility? I'm not saying that certain other factors-- namely poverty, fatalism due to despair/depression, and culture-- don't make people residing in those areas more prone to engage in drug use, recreational or otherwise. But to say that the fact that blacks are not the ones BRINGING the drugs to the neighborhoods somehow fully refutes the point that "poor Blacks would be better off if they stopped using drugs and took better care of their communities" is just silly.

Now, obviously, certain things happening, such as economic investment in these areas, after-school programs, rehab programs, treating non-violent drug users as addicts rather than criminals etc., would HELP more blacks to "stop using drugs and take care of their communities", but still, you can't put the onus entirely on other people when discussing a freely chosen action is my point. Society has a responsibility to provide opportunities and options to inner-city residents, but the people also have a responsibility to themselves to shun drug use.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
ShadowRed said:
Seriously, where did that come from? Is there some small contingent of bitter white guys that can't find a date in Idaho and have been spreading this? The percent of people who believe this is undoubtedly lower than that .6% mentioned.

of course whites commit more crimes than blacks, there are way more white people in America than black people. But for making up 12% of the population blacks committed more than 50% of all murders in the US from 1976-2002. The article must have forgotten to mention that.

Mr. Blonde said:
of course whites commit more crimes than blacks, there are way more white people in America than black people. But for making up 12% of the population blacks committed more than 50% of all murders in the US from 1976-2002. The article must have forgotten to mention that.

I'm interested in ppl's responses to this statement. Doesn't suprise me though.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Reads like it was written by one of those guys who thinks all white people are out to get him, and refers to them as "the man"

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ghost said:
Reads like it was written by one of those guys who thinks all white people are out to get him, and refers to them as "the man"

They are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom