• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 10 selling PSN games since launch (SCEA)

kay

I believe Agarest Senki is the top game for DLC. What a feat! Of course, there isn't much competition.

Slavik81

Such terrible taste... Ugg..

Elbrain said:
Nothing we just thought more original titles would prevail more, I like the game really brings back a lot of good memories.
Screw that. The old games usually had more development time and manpower behind them, and they're also somewhat filtered by quality. Only games worth remembering will show up.

The vast majority of the time, old games put on the service are better games than the new ones. MK2 is the exception that proves the rule.

Master

Banned
I can't really wrap my brain around that list. There are a ton of games that I had assumed sold pretty well, like Blast Factor.

Wollan

Super Rub'A'Dub is one of the more eye-catching casual games on the system. I always pull it up when someone casual asks to take a look.

Kagari said:
Maybe Sony need to advertise the games on the store more? I don't know. How well do XBLA games do in comparison?

All 3 companies need to figure out how to market these games. It seems like the only way they can really become successful is with a good amount of word of mouth.

Glad to see that list. Good to see unique stuff do so well. I'm glad FlOw did so well. It is a totally unique experience. Also, if anything, the success of it and Everyday Shooter ensures that PSN stays weird to a degree.

Everyone complaining about SSHD's placement should be rejoicing instead. Think about it this way, Blast Factor could have bumped SSHD and Everyday Shooter out of the Top Ten if that list was driven by hype alone. Sony marketed Blast Factor much more than either of the games that made the cut. I'm glad to see the cream rose to the top here. It shows that quality and word-of-mouth can still work on PSN.

Stop dissing bowling. It's pretty fun.

Also, Pain. Ugh. OK, the list can't be perfect. I guess sometimes games designed by marketing depts and focus groups do sell.

kbear said:
You guys are talking about Calling All Cars, right? look i know it's just an opinion but i really thought that game was terrible... it's the one game i've bought on PSN which i really regret and i've bought quite a few... basically just threw 10 bucks in the garbage can. I fell for the forums hype and David Jaffe name behind it.

You maybe need to make some friends, because the 4-player local multiplayer mode of that game rocks hard. It's a great "party game" and the only way I play the game. So fun.

Ceb

Bebpo said:
Well take Warhawk for instance. Take the leaderboard # and then subtract the NPD number for all the disc versions and you'll have an approximate. I'd guess it's about 100-200k? I think 50-75% of Warhawk sales would be disc-based since most people still prefer physical copies.

FYI, the downloadable version of Warhawk outsold the retail version over 2:1 in its first month. I'm expecting the retail copy to have catched up a bit by now, but I don't think the difference is as large as you suggest.

All 3 companies need to figure out how to market these games. It seems like the only way they can really become successful is with a good amount of word of mouth.

Agreed. Magazines should do a better job at covering these games as well.

Very unhappy about Pain, the only PSN purchase that I really didn't think was worth it.

I've got SSHD, Everyday Shooter, Calling All Cars, MKII, Lemmings, Flow and PixelJunk Monsters.

Out of the bunch, I'd say SSHD, Flow and Calling All Cars should be the top three PSN titles just for sheer quality alone.

Ceb said:
Agreed. Magazines should do a better job at covering these games as well.

I'm surprised magazines and websites don't highlight them more. You always hear the talk about a lack of innovation in the industry or the lack of old school style games and now you have these downloadable networks that are able to bring those things back and yet they don't get alot of attention paid to them by mags/sites.

Sean

Banned
GripShift deserves much better :(

It's one of the most overlooked games on both PSN and XBLA. A game like this should be a huge success.

XonoX

BrodiemanTTR said:
flOw over Super Stardust? PAIN over Super Stardust? HIGH VELOCITY BOWLING over Super Stardust?! You morons, YOU INGRATES.

Nowhere on those slides does it say that they were ranked 1 through to 10.

All it says is that they were the top 10.

Didn't knew fl0w had sold that well. Is that list in order of best selling to worst selling? Last time they revealed numbers fl0w wasn't doing that well.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Luckyman

Banned
Wollan said:
Whatya mean? He's making them full time now.
He has mentioned though that the 30s comic style probably worked against it.

Really?

What we learned in ‘Calling All Cars’ is that right now on console we’re not interested in doing what we thought we were going to be doing entirely as a company, which was doing PSN console-based small, $9.99 downloadable arcade games. We’re definitely not exploring that.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008...-talks-development-plans-for-ps2-ps3-and…-pc/

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
bryehn said:
holy crap @ PAIN, I had no idea it was so popular.

Think of it as Crash Party mode in Burnout Revenge, except the car is a dude on a slingshot. Theres definitely some fun in that... although i kinda do regret buying it.

They should show NUMBERS for the downloads. I´d like to know how many dl for each game.

Anyway, finally some info about the downloads on psn.

tha_con

Banned
ram said:
but that doesnt answer the question.

It does. The more people 'share games' among 5 different people, the fewer 3rd party titles will appear on the PSN.

I occasionally share games if I have no interest in buying them, most of the time as a demo, but there are games I have bought after having shared, like PixelJunkMonsters, even if I already had the full version via GameShare.

It generally screws the developer out of their money, because there is no money lost on materials, so you're 'robbing them' and making it much more difficult.

Why do you think Jaffe got out of the game? CaC didn't do very well at all, and game sharing didn't help.

Just saying, it would be nice for some of these people getting 'share happy' to actually BUY some games every once in a while.

Ploid 3.0

Bebpo said:
Well take Warhawk for instance. Take the leaderboard # and then subtract the NPD number for all the disc versions and you'll have an approximate. I'd guess it's about 100-200k? I think 50-75% of Warhawk sales would be disc-based since most people still prefer physical copies.

Also Calling all Cars did not have a huge community. Maybe <50k?

And I really doubt millions of people bought Flow or Pain.

So yeah, that list makes me sad.

Calling all Cars community problem was that it was too darn easy to pick up and quit. There was nothing keeping you hooked like stats or win count in a room. After one match everyone is equal and nothing has changed. It was more fun offline. There should have been good things for people that played online.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Rlan said:
1. flOw?

PS3 owners non-gamers confirmed?
Shut yet mouth, Flow is absolutely amazing and one of the best things on PSN or any download service.

Still,
BrodiemanTTR said:
flOw over Super Stardust? PAIN over Super Stardust? HIGH VELOCITY BOWLING over Super Stardust?! You morons, YOU INGRATES.
I agree with this. WTF is wrong with people. How can something with zero hype like Velocity Bowling or pretty crap like Pain sell more than SSDHD. Hell.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
this:
SolidSnakex said:
MK2 isn't surprising, it's 5 dollars and is the best game in the series.
and this:
Bookey said:
wasted money on it? yes yes I did the game was so much better in my memory lol
:(

How has Warhawk outsold SSHD, i find this intriguing.

Top Bottom