• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 3 best bad games?

BlackTron

Just thought of this too. Super Mario 3D World. For a game everyone calls a cheap Mario 3D Land copy, I liked its blend of 2D and 3D Mario conventions fused with multiplayer. I'd like a Switch port.

There are things I would change about the game and it has a too-cartoony vibe that's a bit much for older fans (corrected in Mario Odyssey) but for sheer gameplay I think it's the strongest 3D Mario.

Don't get me wrong I think Mario 64 is utterly legendary, but that was an entirely different type of game -it does its own thing very well. It broke the Mario mold entirely. 3D World feels like a 2D Mario successor accomplished in 3D.

Gandara

I can't think of three but Brute Force for the xbox comes to mind. I remember doing a lot of reloading so I would have no death runs after completing levels. There wasn't any rewards or incentive for doing so but made the game more tactical if you did so. If you didn't , you could just run and gun with the only penalty being your score.

iconmaster

Banned
I've never heard anything good about Stunt Race FX but I remember it being quite entertaining, albeit slow.

Metroid: Other M had a bad story, unnecessary pixel-hunting and was too linear until the endgame. But it felt great to play.

L.A. Noire's reputation has taken a hit in the years since its release, but I found it compelling enough to finish. Reading body language was a novel mechanic that worked surprisingly well thanks to the remarkable performance capture.

brian0057

Banned
I've never heard anything good about Stunt Race FX but I remember it being quite entertaining, albeit slow.

Metroid: Other M had a bad story, unnecessary pixel-hunting and was too linear until the endgame. But it felt great to play.

L.A. Noire's reputation has taken a hit in the years since its release, but I found it compelling enough to finish. Reading body language was a novel mechanic that worked surprisingly well thanks to the remarkable performance capture.

L.A. Noire is amazing.
What I dislike about it, though, is how it tells you that you screwed up every time you choose the wrong answer.
I hate that. Don't tell me that I chose wrong. Let me figure it out and live with the consequences.
Is the a mod to remove that annoying chime?

engstra

Can't think of 3 but I absolutely loved Afrika on the PS3, don't understand why it got so little love. A world with beautifully detailed animals in which you could move around freely and explore.
Really hope a wildlife photography game gets a second chance, on current tech it could be breathtaking.

stranno

1. Rengoku: Tower of Purgatory or Stairway to HEAVEN. Both were considered the worst PSP games back in the day and i love them. Tons of weapons, body parts, enemies, etc.
2. Bubsy 3D: I love every Bend game and, as much as I hate the Bubsy franchise, 3D was an incredible ambitious game with great ideas, but maybe poorly executed in some ways. Still 345234123154123123 times better than any other Bubsy game.
3. Metal Slug (2006): That 3D game from the Maximo devs. I love the 3D reinterpretation of the original Nazca 2D art, bosses are cool and gameplay works perfectly fine.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That powerboat game on PS1 that ran at 60 fps. It played bad (like you were controlling a brick smacking into other boats or the sides of the courses), but it looked good and moved fast. I don't think there were any racers on PS1 I played that ran at 60 fps.

Last edited:
That powerboat game on PS1 that ran at 60 fps. It played bad (like you were controlling a brick smacking into other boats or the sides of the courses), but it looked good and moved fast. I don't think there were any racers on PS1 I played that ran at 60 fps.

Rapid Racer? Great graphics and soundtrack. I played a demo of that game, but can't remember how the controls felt. I did use the Dual Shock controller though.

---

Driv3r
Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions
Mortyr

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Alien Resurrection - 61 Metacritic

dQy45Js.png

Proof that reviewers back then were hacks too. Literally the third best Alien game behind Isolation and AVP2.

I remember being pretty impressed by Enter the Matrix.

It was a perfectly fine mediocre movie tie-in game with some cool cheats & secrets. But it has been meme'd into being this trash heap that its really not. If anything its better than the trash sequel movies.

There was a game for the Playstation 2 called Extermination. I just looked it up on Metacritic and apparently it received about 67 on average, which is a bit lower than I expected from this game.

The premise of the game is basically that you're a Marine in the not-so-distant future year of 2005 investigating a disturbance at an antarctic base. The game gets into this really weird alien infection/technology with these really interesting mechanics relating to health and ammunition. Probably one of the best action-horror titles to grace the Playstation 2. It felt like somewhat of a third imagining of the Resident Evil formula, a la Resident Evil : Zombies :: Dino Crisis :: Dinosaurs : Extermination :: Aliens. I never beat the final boss in that game, but damn was it an adventure.

Alien Resurrection - 61 Metacritic

dQy45Js.png

Proof that reviewers back then were hacks too. Literally the third best Alien game behind Isolation and AVP2.

It was a perfectly fine mediocre movie tie-in game with some cool cheats & secrets. But it has been meme'd into being this trash heap that its really not. If anything its better than the trash sequel movies.

My sister got me this game for Christmas one year when I was really young. Like an asshole, I didn't really appreciate the game at the time. Looking back, I should have given it more of a shot in trying to understand that game. I always regretted not pushing through and finishing it.

Last edited:
1.) P.N.03
2.) Indigo Prophecy
3.) Deadly Premonition

There's more examples, but I was trying to think specifically of "bad" games. The other examples, even though they're commonly considered "bad" too, I legitimetly enjoy to the point I consider them "good" games so that's why they didn't make the list

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I kinda enjoyed knack on hard, mgs4 and the gunplay on the order.

While I personally agree that MGS4 was awful, it has a 94 metacritic and even won Neogaf's game of the year twice. Its the exact opposite of a critically bad game.

GymWolf

While I personally agree that MGS4 was awful, it has a 94 metacritic and even won Neogaf's game of the year twice. Its the exact opposite of a critically bad game.
Metacritic is utter shit imo.

A place where gta4 is a 98 and botw\rdr2 are 97 doesn't mean shit to me (and i bought a fucking switch for zelda and rdr2 is my goty, just to be clear)

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Two come to mind.

Devil's Third (Wii U)
Metacritic: 43
Entertaining campaign with tight shooting and melee mechanics developed by Itagaki of Dead of Alive/Ninja Gaiden fame. Amazing and wacky multiplayer with ideas and modes that were super unique and super fun. Just watch this trailer, which is simultaneously one of the worst and best trailers of all time:

Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City (PC)
Metacritic: 48
Great multiplayer game, especially for PC where performance was fantastic. Unfortunately, this was a GFWL game, so it's a pain to get it to run these days and the community is dead, but it was good, throw-away coop fun while it lasted.

Dark Star

+1 for Sleeping Dogs

One of those games you genuinely enjoy playing, but a somewhat forgettable and mediocre shooting/driving/mission experience, at least outside of the awesome brutal combat... and funny NPC dialogue : You look like you could use a pork bun! A man without pork bun is never whole man! Why don't you have a pork bun in your hand?

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
What's bad about Warrior Within?
It wasn't bad at all. People just didn't like the EDGY approach to it, or how Dahaka chases the player throughout the whole game. I actually liked a lot, especially the platforming of that game was incredible. Some of the hidden weapons and upgrades were challenging to find. Combat overall was great too.

It wasn't bad at all. People just didn't like the EDGY approach to it, or how Dahaka chases the player throughout the whole game. I actually liked a lot, especially the platforming of that game was incredible. Some of the hidden weapons and upgrades were challenging to find. Combat overall was great too.
It wasn't a bad game mechanically, but the dialogue, especially the prince's combat barks were plain embarrassing. It felt like PoP fanfic written by a 13 year old goth kid.

MiguelItUp

- Minority Report was fucking DUMB, but it was HYSTERICAL to me, and stupid fun. It was like an over exaggerated beat 'em up with ragdoll and destructible environments. One of the cheats was the ability to press a button that just made your body go ragdoll/limp. If you jumped and pressed this button you body would LAUNCH.

- Splatterhouse (2010), I LOVE the Splatterhouse series and ALWAYS wanted a new sequel. It finally came and, well, it wasn't THAT great at all. I still thought it was cool for what it was, but man, I really wanted more than that. I still hope we can get something else some day, but I doubt that will happen. :(

- Star Wars: Battlefront (2015), a lot of people disliked it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was. Could it and should it have been better? Oh for sure! But I still found it to be really enjoyable.

lock2k

Banned
Final Fight Streetwise was severely underrated. Sure, the writing was shit and so was the music, but the combat was basically Yakuza with more variety, which is exactly what you want out of a 3D beat 'em up.
I won't lie. The metal part of the soundtrack I did like very much. But it was a cool game for what it's worth!

- Minority Report was fucking DUMB, but it was HYSTERICAL to me, and stupid fun. It was like an over exaggerated beat 'em up with ragdoll and destructible environments. One of the cheats was the ability to press a button that just made your body go ragdoll/limp. If you jumped and pressed this button you body would LAUNCH.
I'd never even heard of a Minority Report game before I read your post, but I looked it up and it's like the game was made specifically for me. A 3D beat 'em up with with early ragdoll physics, jetpacks and Clancy Brown? that's like my 4 favourite things combined!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not necessarily a bad game, but more of a hit and miss game based on your preferences. I enjoyed playing that SNES game Aerobiz. Turn based business game based on buying planes and setting routes.

Like all old school Koei games back then. Turn based, mediocre visuals, lots of clutter screens with numbers everywhere.

They also came out with an Aerobiz Supersonic game. Never played that one.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Metal Gear Survive
Castlevania Harmony of Despair
and either Mega Man 8 or
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1989).

MiguelItUp

I'd never even heard of a Minority Report game before I read your post, but I looked it up and it's like the game was made specifically for me. A 3D beat 'em up with with early ragdoll physics, jetpacks and Clancy Brown? that's like my 4 favourite things combined!
You have no idea how happy this makes me, haha. It's so over the top it's ridiculous! It's on PS2, Xbox, and GameCube. I wanna know what you think lmao.

SpartanN92

Banned
I have a lot but off the top of my head:

Crackdown 3 was a guilty pleasure.
Dead Space 3 was an awful Dead Space game but still fun.
007 Bloodstone was a shameless Splinter Cell Conviction knock off but I loved it.

You have no idea how happy this makes me, haha. It's so over the top it's ridiculous! It's on PS2, Xbox, and GameCube. I wanna know what you think lmao.
It's amazing. I mean it has some glaring problems: glitchy audio (might be the emulator), the combo input window is way too short, so it's hard to perform them reliably, and a lock-on system would've been nice. Still, it's way better than I though. Right off the bat I noticed there is a lot more tech than you see in youtube videos. You can actually do a dodge roll by crouching and jumping, there are like a bajillion different throws that play well with the destructible environments and insane ragdolls, there are charge attacks, crouch attacks, grab attacks, you can parry enemy attacks by timing your blocks, etc. Plus Clancy Brown> Tom Cruise, any day. Also the jetpack controls are way better than they have any right to be, better than any other game I've played even. If only it hadn't been a shoddy low budget movie tie-in game it might've been a classic.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
1-Enter the Matrix. I felt like Neo at that time, great hand to hand combat, maybe one of the best all time. Clunky as hell though.
2-Carmageddon 2. My childhood trauma, but it was superb game, collecting vehicles by destroying them, and testing them afterwards was awesome.
3-Croc. Spyro and Mario 64 clone in some ways but i discovered Spyro ten years after this, and playing Mario 64 recently so Croc will stay in my heart as the best platformer ever.

Last two not that bad, points between 70-80, but i couldn't find anything besides them right now. I looked at metacritic all time list, first 40 or so pages full of games scored 80 or higher. I lost my faith in score 80 :messenger_grinning: I will check games with score 85 or higher from now on:messenger_smirking:

ragingturtle

Neo Member
1. The original Hitman: Codename 47 is pretty bad and not even just due to age but I still have fun with it.

2. Killzone 1 on PS2 isn’t exactly that great either because it was marketed as the next “Halo killer” but it’s a fairly solid FPS campaign

Top Bottom