• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 3 best bad games?

-----

also, didn't know this game existed, but had I known before, I think I may have enjoyed

also this one. I actually don't know, but I may have enjoyed it; though the story behind it does sound twisted and f'd up

hqdefault.jpg

Cannon fodder
I don't think Cannon Fodder counts as a bad game; it was praised

Shotpun

Alpha Protocol. I thought that was a real good game. I had a lot of fun with it but I remember the bashing it got when it came out.

I had trouble coming up with any "bad" games I liked until I read that. AP had its issues, mainly the combat mechanics weren't great, but I really did enjoy the stealth and story side of it. Characters especially were awesome.

Also was about to say what VooDooChicken said above, who the hell thought Cannon Fodder was a bad game?

Oh yeah, I enjoyed Manhunt 2 a lot, good, creepy atmosphere.

While I would say 2 is interesting but flawed, I would go to bat for the original Manhunt as just a legitimate good game.
I don't think anyone will say the original is bad. But I know the sequel isn't as well liked by fans and critics which is why I mentioned it. The censorship was a little annoying too but I got used to it.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Deadly Premonition (One of the greatest game ever made)

Alpha Protocol

Anything made by Piranha Bytes (Although the games aren't bad at all. But doesn't cater to casual RPG fans. I personally love all their games except for Gothic 3 but community patches make it awesome to play now).

There are actually tons of "shitty" games that I enjoyed a lot and spend tons of hours on.

Last edited:
It was a rushed Super Famicom title, but I still love Return of Double Dragon to this day.
Also, the Tiertex-handled Super NES port of Flashback wasn't the best-possible one, with lots of slowdown, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

Only three? xD

Titanfall 2 (I enjoyed a lot the single player campaign)
Mass Effect Andromeda (despite of the criticism and the ripetitivity)
Enslaved (I love this one)

Pantz

Darkest of Days - Travel through time in various wars and using various weapons from the future such as a submachine gun during the Civil War or a futuristic AI guided sniper rifle during WWII. (why are there not more time travel games like this??)

Operation Darkness - WWII Strategy RPG of Allied werewolves vs. Nazi vampires, what more needs to be said? The game is bad but you can command a werewolf to punch a tank. aka, it's amazing.

Deadly Premonition - Needs no introduction.

All on Xbox 360

God Hand: Combining incredible but frustrating game mechanics with a quirky sense of juvenile humor, God Hand was an awesome game.

Dungeon & Fighter: While it's become a money-grabbing soulsucker like many other Korean online games, a new twist on traditional D&D action games with a focus on stylish action and input commands was great when it launched.

Sleeping Dogs: It's not just a GTA clone. Besides, ever killed someone by impaling them on a frozen swordfish?

Operation Darkness - WWII Strategy RPG of Allied werewolves vs. Nazi vampires, what more needs to be said? The game is bad but you can command a werewolf to punch a tank. aka, it's amazing.

I never played it but I did love the character art and for years characters from that game were my 360 Xbox Live avatars since anime style art was once so hard to find on there.

GreyHorace

I don't play many bad games. Who wants to waste money on something like that? That said, I've played my share of stinkers which I ended up liking despite their flaws.

220px-Alpha_Protocol_cover.jpg

Alpha Protocol - I couldn't even finish this game. As the broken combat and various other half baked mechanics made me quit in frustration. That's unfortunate, because the story is fantastic and it has one of the best dialogue systems I've seen in an RPG. And Micheal Thornton is one of the best protagonists I've seen in games.

220px-Dragon_Age_2_cover.jpg

Dragon Age 2 - I'm well aware of the reputation this game has on this forum (The Shit Mountain moniker did make me laugh though). Yes it's a disappointing sequel to Dragon Age Origins, one the best RPGs ever made and Bioware's crown jewel next to Mass Effect 2. The wave based combat sucks, the environment are cut and paste (and damn UGLY to boot), and some of the character models look horrendous. That said, I like playing through this game again because it has a good story and the companions who join Hawke are some of the best Bioware has written. It's a shame that many people mark this title as the start of Bioware's downward spiral. Had they been given more time to improve the gameplay and clean up the visuals it would have been a decent game at least.

dr-dooms-revenge_3.png

The Amazing Spider-Man and Captain America in Doctor Doom's Revenge - It's barely a fighting game and the controls suck. I really don't care though. It was the first time I got to play as two of my favorite comic heroes in a game. A shitty game to be frank, but still. Pre-teen me was still wowed by the concept.

Castef

Banned
What are your top 3 critically "bad" games you love?

For me it's

1. G-Police
2. Fallout Tactics
3. Bladerunner (Point and Click adventure game)

EDIT: Just realized these are all good games, maybe I just have great taste.

Err... they did not receive bad criticism back then...

GeekyDad

1. Onechanbara on Wii. The motion controls -- but mostly the feedback from the Wiimote -- just made the game an arcade joy to play for me.
2. Tenchu on DS. It was addictive to set up traps that would cause enemies to juggle from one trap to the next, lining up quite a few at a time.
3. Senran Kagura (the first one on 3DS). Just great, mindless fun with the combat system. Plus. the story and characters (despite the presentation) were surprisingly enjoyable.

Last edited:

Dunki

For me it's

1. G-Police
2. Fallout Tactics

WHY the hell is Blade Runner there. Blade Runner has gotten not only very positive reviews back then but it is still an instant classic in this genre. Especially through the fact that it randomizes different outcomes with each playtrhough even who killed who etc.

As for my list:

1 , Elex:
2. Deadly Premonition
3. Lollipop chainsaw

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned

For me it's

1. G-Police
2. Fallout Tactics

Those 3 are all great games. Especially BR, which is a masterpiece.
hqdefault.jpg

Cannon fodder
Another amazing game.

Do you guys just keep listing random good games?

Last edited:

egocrata

Banned
Alpha Protocol. I thought that was a real good game. I had a lot of fun with it but I remember the bashing it got when it came out.
Alpha Protocol is the perfect example of great bad game. So flawed (my god, are animations janky) yet so good.

Transport Fever would be my pick. It is a weak game by any means (the economic model is garbage) but as a sandbox is just fun to toy with.

Frizzie

Banned
Such a fine game, with a very nice implementation of horseback fighting.
I really enjoyed it and still have the pirates expansion to play. The magic system was fantastic and enabled you to make some incredibly powerful custom spells if you went the mage route.

I liked the B Movie feel to it.

maxwell247

I remember liking Ghosthunter for the PS2 back in the day despite it's critical panning, although it's not a game that has aged very well.
Played through Ghosthunter few days ago. Not that bad.

It's hilarious that I have Rule of Rose on my best bad games list in the thread where also there is a member with Red Crayon Aristocrat nickname.

Bankai

Despite bad/mediocre reviews, I really enjoyed:

- Faery: Legends of Avalon (ps3, JRPG "light" which played great)

- A Bard's Tale (ps4, action/RPG with great humor)

- Rain (ps3 indiegame, surprisingly great)

- Murdered: soul suspect (ps4, I really liked this crime/drama game)

IKSTUGA

Hmm... usually I like that sweet professional game reviewer dick too much to play games below 75 in metacritic, but I guess the Mario Party games were an exception. I got hooked on that stuff young though. The Wii/DS versions were so terrible that even I skipped them.

Mario Party 3
Mario Party 4
Mario Party 5

Last edited:
Top Bottom