• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 3 best bad games?

xrnzaaas

Alien Resurrection - 61 Metacritic

dQy45Js.png

Proof that reviewers back then were hacks too. Literally the third best Alien game behind Isolation and AVP2.

It was a perfectly fine mediocre movie tie-in game with some cool cheats & secrets. But it has been meme'd into being this trash heap that its really not. If anything its better than the trash sequel movies.
I don't mean to sound like I'm defending Gamespot (lol), but the first version of PlayStation's controllers didn't have analogue sticks. It's easy to laugh now, but it was something brand new back then.

Last edited:

Kindjal

Dynasty Warriors 8
Days Gone

(Can't think of a 3rd one)

Days Gone is a fantastic game. One of my favorite this gen.

Take it back!

(How do I delete another person's post? :messenger_tears_of_joy:)

Edit: I just realized it was "bad" by critics standards, but I did see some very good reviews too.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

It's amazing. I mean it has some glaring problems: glitchy audio (might be the emulator), the combo input window is way too short, so it's hard to perform them reliably, and a lock-on system would've been nice. Still, it's way better than I though. Right off the bat I noticed there is a lot more tech than you see in youtube videos. You can actually do a dodge roll by crouching and jumping, there are like a bajillion different throws that play well with the destructible environments and insane ragdolls, there are charge attacks, crouch attacks, grab attacks, you can parry enemy attacks by timing your blocks, etc. Plus Clancy Brown> Tom Cruise, any day. Also the jetpack controls are way better than they have any right to be, better than any other game I've played even. If only it hadn't been a shoddy low budget movie tie-in game it might've been a classic.
That's EXACTLY how I felt! I feel like the game was COMPLETELY overlooked, but honestly when it came to movie games it was one of the better ones I had played in awhile lmao. It's definitely spazzy and silly and imperfect by all means. But the destructible environments were SO good IMO lmao. I STILL really want a next gen beat em' up that's REALLY good and has destructible environments, etc.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I don't mean to sound like I'm defending Gamespot (lol), but the first version of PlayStation's controllers didn't have analogue sticks. It's easy to laugh now, but it was something brand new back then.

I see what you're saying, but the thing is even at the time it had contemporaries like MoH Underground and Quake 2 offering FPS dual analog control.

Here's a real nightmare for you, in PS1 Quake 2 the analog controls were:

Left Stick: Turn Left/Right, Move Forward/Backward

Right Stick: Strafe Left/Right, Look Up/Down

Try wrapping your head around that. Good fucking luck lmao

I'm simply here just to say I love Resident Evil 6 more than RE4

fight me

I wouldn't say its better than 4 but its a good kind of schlock for sure. I think critics don't understand the melee combat. Which isn't complex but its more than the "shoot head and melee" mechanic in 4 and 5.

Last edited:

T8SC

Seeing G-Police & Cannon Fodder classed as bad games makes me ponder the sanity of those posters.

Best bad games -

Shadow Of The Beast 2 (Difficulty was insane due to being able to fail the game within a few minutes of playing but it was a good game if you could get past that).
Assassins Creed (Repetitive first game but it was well put together)
Future Cop LAPD (Where's my Future Strike??)

xrnzaaas

I see what you're saying, but the thing is even at the time it had contemporaries like MoH Underground and Quake 2 offering FPS dual analog control.

Here's a real nightmare for you, in PS1 Quake 2 the analog controls were:

Left Stick: Turn Left/Right, Move Forward/Backward

Right Stick: Strafe Left/Right, Look Up/Down

Try wrapping your head around that. Good fucking luck lmao

That's interesting, I can't relate because I didn't own an analogue stick controller for the PS1, I kept using the original one and I finished Doom and several other shooters that way. :)

Seeing G-Police & Cannon Fodder classed as bad games makes me ponder the sanity of those posters.

Yup, both games were awesome. I can see how someone could get frustrated while playing Cannon Fodder because some levels were difficult. I remember I wasn't able to get past one of them in the first game until my cousin helped me.

Bootzilla

Banned
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.
  • Underworld: Ascendant.
  • Resident Evil: Revelations.
Superb games.
Completely unironic.
Underworld Ascendant is one of those games that got some pretty massive post-release patches that saved the game from being unplayable. It basically launched in like... Alpha state, it wasn't even beta. But if you played it for the first time today, you'd find a lot to like. It's still messy, and quirky, but I did have a lot of fun with it.

Bootzilla

Banned
Two Worlds 2 is my most notable one. Played the shit out of it.
I liked the first Two World's, even though it was a hot mess and you could beat it in like 6 hours if you were okay to chip away at the dumb as hell last boss for way too long.

I don't think I'd tolerate it now but the landscape for open world RPGs was different then.

Bootzilla

Banned
Fade to Black is one of mine
The hyped up 3D sequel to Flashback that suffered from profound "Early 3D-itis" but it wasn't bad by any means, just clunky.

Nero_PR

Banned
I'm simply here just to say I love Resident Evil 6 more than RE4

fight me

Gameplay wise, it's incredible, if not the best of them. Playing mercenaries on it was great. Plus, the upgrades for weapons and other abilities made a real difference.

It is one of the few RE that I played more than 4. I just think what killed RE6 was that Capcom themselves were marketing it as a "back to its roots" RE. And from the little they showed of Leon's campaign early on, you could be easily deceived that it was true. But at the end of the day, RE6 is the most action packaged RE of them all.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The Wii iteration of Onechanbara was somehow pretty satisfying to play through. Something about pummeling/slashing zombies to dust just felt right despite all its cringe and evident low budget low effort low variety production. I think I've tried more of the series and it wasn't as fun but I hope they do it again.

Can't think of other bad games I enjoyed atm. Maybe Skyrim for a little while but it wore off rather quickly.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's playable without the dual analog though, if they wanted retro console FPS controls.

The game was OK but it could have been a lot better. It has some pretenses of depth and cinematic realism but devolves to very gamey shallow stuff pretty early on yet never being as fun as contemporary FPS that didn't attempt the former at all.

Also not as fun as contemporary stuff that went all the way with the cinematic realism take, like Medal of Honor, MoH: Underground or Goldeneye 007.

Still, the whole intro section was kinda jaw dropping to me back then.

Last edited:

xool

1. Beowulf (360) - 51% meta - great game
  2. Warriors of Might and Magick (PS2) - 49% meta - good
  3. Two Worlds (360) - 50% meta - ok it's crappy, but I enjoyed it [sort of]
Warriors of Might and Magick is a better game than Demon's Souls, 8 years earlier - it got a 2/10 from Official Playstation Magazine

Last edited:

stranno

Final Fight Streetwise - PS2/Xbox
Jaws PS2
San Francisco Rush PS1
Final Fight Streetwise was fine gameplay wise, but the plot was an absolutely mess. It starts as a Fight Club game and rapidly it turns into a crazy zombie - supernatural game that makes no sense at all.

The PlayStation 2 version has a really aggressive dynamic resolution that falls greatly in fight scenes and looks horrendous with the interlaced content. While the XBOX version looks much better but it has some glitches here and there. The fire extinguisher is broken, which makes the Guy's Dojo a pita.

XBOX version. Notice how fire extinguisher stops randomly. Bloom is absent and smoke/fire suck, common thing on Playstation 2 to Gamecube/XBOX ports.

oTHoDZb.gif

PS2 version. It takes half of the time. Widescreen patch has been used. Image jitters a bit because of the agressive interlaced image of this version.

HLrFRZb.gif

And my playthroughs of both versions + non-finished arcade mode (that is actually pretty good).

L5gdxKqAmms
zV0xILwAAso
qw9BeR6Z4JY

Last edited:
1) Severance: Blade of Darkness - Amazing combat way ahead of its time, with dismemberment mechanics and a cool 80's fantasy style reminiscent of Conan the barbarian
2) Evergrace - Weird as hell and with an even weirder soundtrack, but worth playing for its surreal dark fantasy aesthetic
3) Baroque (remake) - Even weirder, darker more surreal than Evergrace. A 3D roguelike with fantastic and outlandish enemy design.

edit: I was gonna mention Castlevania 64, until I remembered that game was actually well received by critics, if not by fans.

Last edited:
Gameplay wise, it's incredible, if not the best of them. Playing mercenaries on it was great. Plus, the upgrades for weapons and other abilities made a real difference.

It is one of the few RE that I played more than 4. I just think what killed RE6 was that Capcom themselves were marketing it as a "back to its roots" RE. And from the little they showed of Leon's campaign early on, you could be easily deceived that it was true. But at the end of the day, RE6 is the most action packaged RE of them all.
agreed

I'm sitting there on a motorcycle being chased by a Tank and to believe there was someone sitting somewhere saying "I'm having too much fun with this right now, I I hate it"

screw that, it was a blast to play IMO

1) Severance: Blade of Darkness - Amazing combat way ahead of its time, with dismemberment mechanics and a cool 80's fantasy style reminiscent of Conan the barbarian
2) Evergrace - Weird as hell and with an even weirder soundtrack, but worth playing for its surreal dark fantasy aesthetic
3) Baroque (remake) - Even weirder, darker more surreal than Evergrace. A 3D roguelike with fantastic and outlandish enemy design.

edit: I was gonna mention Castlevania 64, until I remembered that game was actually well received by critics, if not by fans.
How is Severance a bad game?

DonJorginho

Banned
Resident Evil 6
Thief PS4
Anthem (Yes, that game, don't kill me but trying to find bugs with mates and just not taking the game seriously when the game could be bothered to connect was pretty funny.)

Fuz

Banned

Severance is a fucking masterpiece.

xool

Severance is a fucking masterpiece.

Correct. 10 years ahead of the curve. Physics, proper lighting, you name it.

[EDGE magazine 2/10 - i assume they got a bugged copy - it released unfinished right ?]

I just had a perfect world thought - what if Bluepoint was remaking Severance ..

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
this thread is weird, half the games mentioned received great or decent critical reception. could you at least... u know take games with a metacritic below 70?

Last edited by a moderator:

Katsura

Dethkarz
6_1.jpg

Oni - cutting it a bit close since it got some decent reviews but also a lot of bad scores
Oni%20(PlayStation%202).jpg

Shogo mobile armored division - mediocre reviews and sold so bad expansions were cancelled
95273e46087beeb1b52a4471b2b298d5.jpg

lock2k

Banned
So... I played Final Fight Streetwise today.

It totally looks like shit, even with the filters on PCSX2 (my first ever experience with the emulator and I'm loving it).

But do I still like it? Hell yeah. Both the hip hop and the metal parts are sick, I fucking love it. And the game itself, even with its flaw, it's still perfectly playable. The vibe is awesome, I dunno, I still love it. I think it's a testament that taste is really a personal thing and that's a huge part in why I don't care about reviews, I just try stuff and see if I like it. This is still one of my favorite games and I remember I enjoyed the zombie part as well. I played it for 2 hours straight and when I got to the first boss Shadows Fall started to play and I was pumped and promptly defeated him.

It's interesting that it seems to have inspired a lot of what Dead Rising 3 (another hugely hated game which I also happen to love) has become.

S73v3

Banned
I can only think of 1 but I play it a few hundred hours a year

Castlevania Harmony of despair (PS3)

It's very shallow but the tech and glitches make it godlike, there isn't many online games like it either.

Last edited:

S73v3

Banned
Actually a second one I can think of.

Resident Evil the Mercenaries 3D.

Pretty rad. Tho I'm not a hyper pro at it, the controls are jankish but it's a very satisfying game when you get going.

My 3rd would probly be lost planet 2 but I didn't even play it for a year and tho I got really great at it, even got a number 1 title, I haven't been back for eons

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This game wasn't as bad as people said. Ok, when killer beach balls are out to get you and you slay fireballs with your sword that's pretty dumb, but there's worse games out there (like every LJN game every made).

Got to give it props for it being hard. The first parts of the game are stupidly hard as you could get killed in only a small number of hits. Later you are overpowered though. The bosses were tough and had random patterns shooting things at you.

The video makes it look easy, but there is no way any gamer would beat this game the first day they bought it.

The one weird thing about the game is that there were hidden dungeons (invisible gates). I'm pretty sure you didn't have to do any of these (unless I remembered wrong). It had lots of rooms and hard monsters but was pointless. Waste of time and memory space.

Last edited:
Top Bottom