• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Albums of 2013 - The Lists |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgkitty

Pitchfork list is up.

1. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
2. Kanye West - Yeezus
3. Disclosure - Settle
4. My Bloody Valentine - mbv
5. Danny Brown - Old
6. Deafheaven - Sunbather
7. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
8. Majical Cloudz - Impersonator
9. Savages - Silence Yourself
10. Arcade Fire - Reflektor

And here's Pitchfork

Pitchfork said:
10. Arcade Fire | Reflektor
9. Savages | Silence Yourself
8. Majical Cloudz | Impersonator
7. Daft Punk | Random Access Memories
6. Deafheaven | Sunbather
5. Danny Brown | Old
4. My Bloody Valentine | mbv
3. Disclosure | Settle
2. Kanye West | Yeezus
1. Vampire Weekend | Modern Vampires of the City

Pretty in line with everybody else this year.

omgkitty

The choice of Majical Cloudz came out of nowhere. They only originally gave the album an 8.2, and I didn't even notice it when it was first reviewed.

Danielsan

The choice of Majical Cloudz came out of nowhere. They only originally gave the album an 8.2, and I didn't even notice it when it was first reviewed.
Somehow I missed this album as well. Checking it out right now and this is hitting some right notes with me.

I don't particularly care for Pitchfork's list this year. The top 50 pretty much has 80% of my top 10 picks, but the order feels out of whack. Sky Ferreira on 15 seems weird for instance. But you know, lists and taste and all that.

Kevtones

Given their tracklist, the Majical Cloudz placing isn't surprising.

Great record. AMAZING live.

What blows my mind is that The Field - Cupid's Head didn't even make it into 'honorable mention'. Neither did Julianna Barwick, Baths, Dirty Beaches, Charlie XCX, Youth Lagoon, or Iceage.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Vice has blessed the internets with their list.

1 | THE YELLOW RIVER BOYS | Urinal St. Station
2 | VARIOUS ARTISTS | The I Am The Center: Private Issue New Age Music in America, 1950-1990
3 | DEAN BLUNT | The Redeemer
4 | KANYE WEST | Yeezus
5 | THE BODY | Christs, Redeemers
6 | DISCLOSURE | Settle
7 | DANNY BROWN | Old
8 | PUSHA T | My Name Is My Name
9 | DESTRUCTION UNIT | Deep Trip
10 | VARIOUS ARTISTS | Purple Snow: Forecasting the Minneapolis Sound

Pitchfork list is up.

1. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
2. Kanye West - Yeezus
3. Disclosure - Settle
4. My Bloody Valentine - mbv
5. Danny Brown - Old
6. Deafheaven - Sunbather
7. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
8. Majical Cloudz - Impersonator
9. Savages - Silence Yourself
10. Arcade Fire - Reflektor

Thought they'd give a nod to Darkside. Ah well at least the right album won.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Given their tracklist, the Majical Cloudz placing isn't surprising.

Great record. AMAZING live.

What blows my mind is that The Field - Cupid's Head didn't even make it into 'honorable mention'. Neither did Julianna Barwick, Baths, Dirty Beaches, Charlie XCX, Youth Lagoon, or Iceage.

Holy fucking shhhhiiiitttt!!!!

How did I not know he put out a new album. O M G

I have been listening to Blood Orange - Cupid Deluxe - You're Not good enough for the past 48 hours. Thank you GAF for listing it, this whole damn album is something else!

Servbot24

Banned
Is Childhood's End a good indication of what Majical Cloudz sounds like? Because that song is fucking horrendous and just made me more cynical about the state of popular music than I already was.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Needs more Eminem, but I'm glad to see Yeezus up there. Also glad to see HAIM. I just discovered them this year. I also think Gambino's album should be top 20 at least if not top 10.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Vice blessed us with their 50 WORST albums too because they are not apart of this system.

1 | LORDE | Pure Heroine
2 | THE POLYPHONIC SPREE | Yes, It's True
3 | CULTS | Static
4 | KANYE WEST | Yeezus
5 | WASHED OUT | Paracosm
6 | SURFER BLOOD | Pythons
7 | AUSTRA | Olympia
8 | WOODEN WAND | Blood Oaths of The New Blues
9 | TALIB KWELI | Gravitas
10 | THE BLOW | Self-Titled

others notables in seen in many top 10 lists in the other thread:

16. The National, 17. Death Grips (no love deep web not gov'ment tapes), 21. small black (complete with a paragraph of stuff I assume meant that chillwave is dead), 27. cut copy, 30. vampire weekend, 31. oOoOO, 32. Baths, 48. Youth Lagoon.

omgkitty

Needs more Eminem, but I'm glad to see Yeezus up there. Also glad to see HAIM. I just discovered them this year. I also think Gambino's album should be top 20 at least if not top 10.

Who's list? Pitchfork's? They gave Eminem's newest record a 4.7 and Childish Gambino's a 5.8.

Mastadon

Banned
I have been listening to Blood Orange - Cupid Deluxe - You're Not good enough for the past 48 hours. Thank you GAF for listing it, this whole damn album is something else!

Yeah same here, really enjoying it.

Here's The Guardian's top 10 list:

1. Yeezus - Kanye West
2. Pale Green Ghosts - John Grant
3. RAM - Daft Punk
4. MVOTC - Vampire Weekend
5. Overgrown - James Blake
6. Settle - Disclosure
7. Cut 4 Me - Kelela
8. John Wizards - John Wizards
9. The Electric Lady - Janelle Monáe
10. m b v - My Bloody Valentine.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Ctrl + F: Artpop
"no results"

What the...? Bunch of flop lists not recognizing 2013's best album :(

cwmartin

Vice's list last year was much funnier. Laughed my ass off.

Just look at enigmatic's post, you'll get your lols in.

Thought Gambino was much better than its critical reception. Maybe if his whole album was like his verse on Telegraph Ave they would have liked it better. Verse is so smooth.

I think letlive. was personal AOTY. Only recognized on Absolutepunk on the lists on this thread. No hard feels, it caters to particular audiences.

Kevtones

Is Childhood's End a good indication of what Majical Cloudz sounds like? Because that song is fucking horrendous and just made me more cynical about the state of popular music than I already was.

What?

It's neither popular nor pop. And that song and record are fantastic. They're also incredible live.

Tell me you're trolling?

cbrun44

I've tried for years to enjoy Danny Brown but I just can't. The guys voice just grates on me.

But, apparently, people continue to love him.

Mifune

Mehmber
First time hearing Majical Cloudz, and it's really hitting the spot right now. Could see myself wearing it out.

I might be alone on this but most of the top picks this year haven't done much for me. Neither Haim or Chvrches are my style. Not into Disclosure either. It feels like a lot of the music that's highly acclaimed this year is really heavily pop-leaning. And that's cool. Just not my thing.

Soma

Anthony Fantano (TheNeedleDrop) just put up his Top 50 of 2013

Top ten:

10. GRAVE BABIES -- CRUSHER
9. KA -- THE NIGHT'S GAMBIT
8. ICEAGE -- YOU'RE NOTHING
7. CLIPPING -- MIDCITY
6. MARIAM THE BELIEVER -- BLOOD DONATION
5. MELT-BANANA -- FETCH
4. QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE -- LIKE CLOCKWORK
3. ALTAR OF PLAGUES -- TEETHED GLORY AND INJURY
2. THE KNIFE -- SHAKING THE HABITUAL