• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Spin Tennis

Thanks guys. Right now its either Riddick or this. Neither one are pulling me in like games ussually do, so its hard to justify a $50 drop. But, I can do $30. I just hope I dig tennis.

Tabs

The gameplay got old just as fast as it did in Virtua Tennis (hit left, hit right, hit left, hit right), but there isn't enough fun mini-games to do during career mode. Virtua Tennis was much better in that regard.

Dujour

Banned
Can it be played on XBC? I'm more interested in the multiplayer since that what I played the most in T2K2.

Fifty

Let me check........Yes, it is system link for 2 or 4 players, so I assume it would work on XBC as well.

Trav said:
The gameplay got old just as fast as it did in Virtua Tennis (hit left, hit right, hit left, hit right), but there isn't enough fun mini-games to do during career mode. Virtua Tennis was much better in that regard.

You obviously haven't played this game against good opponents on XBL. It's a much more complex tennis game than VT.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
DJ Demon J said:
You obviously haven't played this game against good opponents on XBL. It's a much more complex tennis game than VT.

VT? Maybe... Tennis 2k2? No. But I do like Top Spin as well.

levious said:
VT? Maybe... Tennis 2k2? No. But I do like Top Spin as well.

TS is more complex than 2k2. I've played both 2k2 and TS to death, and Top Spin is clearly superior. VT is more accessible than TS however.

levious

DJ Demon J said:
TS is more complex than 2k2. I've played both 2k2 and TS to death, and Top Spin is clearly superior. VT is more accessible than TS however.

what do you feel makes it clearly superior?

Drinky Crow said:
Only problem with Top Spin is the faqct that you can't save mid-Tournament.

Yes, this is annoying. Especially when you blow through the quarters and semis and then draw Leyton Hewitt for the final. :(

thorns

Banned
DJ Demon J said:
Yes, this is annoying. Especially when you blow through the quarters and semis and then draw Leyton Hewitt for the final. :(

You can always death drop :) Still works in single player.. It's a really cheesy way to win but still...

levious said:
what do you feel makes it clearly superior?

More shot variety and ball physics/court surface interaction are the two most obvious improvements over VT. In VT, gameplay was pretty much the same, regardless of surface. In Top Spin, court surface and shot type can yield vastly different results on ball bounce. Also, in VT, overhead slams were pretty much unstoppable. In fact, you could abuse the character creation system and gameplay dynamics in VT by creating a short player with max shot power (IIRC Lvl 22). Since he's so short, he will jump and overhead slam at nearly any ball that clears a certain height (versus 6 foot plus players who would simply reach up and make a normal stroke for those balls). His max power will deliver fast and nigh-unreturnable (and even if you return it, it would be a slow, easy return or a high lob which would let him slam again).

Top Spin's overheads can be unreturnable (if you can catch the ball at the right time and angle downwards to simply bounce the ball so high off the court it goes out of the play area), but just as often they can be returned with skillful play.

Balls hitting the top of the net with enough force to still make it over occurs more often in TS, such occurences were extremely rare in VT. The single greatest addition that TS brings to the tennis video game is the drop shot. It's almost too powerful...almost. You have the most control in TS over where and how your shot lands on the court than any other tennis video game ever, as is evidenced by TS's training mini-games accurate shot requirements and high-level play.

I picked up Riddick instead. GS was running this deal where you trade in 3 games and get ten extra. I traded in Tekken 4 and the GTA double pack (which they counted as 2). Total was $35, couldn't resist paying 15 bucks for a new game like Riddick. Hey, if I don't like it I'll trade it back in for Top Spin. woohoo.

levious

DJ -

You keep saying VT... are you still referring to 2k2? I disagree that surface did not matter in either version of Sega Tennis. Carpet especially, most of my friends refuse to play on it.

Smashes are not unstoppable at all, I've had countless exchanges with multiple smashes returned and the volley continuing... especially in doubles matches. Skillfull return choice is all it takes.

Your comment on player creation is interesting, but player that small would ultimately sacrifice something in power capability right?

I wouldn't call balls hitting the net and still going over EXTREMELEY rare... but one thing I never liked was how hard it was to hit a ball into the net.

Drop shots, yeah, I guess you could say there's no true drop shot in VT/2k2, but it seems like you haven't played that many tennis games to say that Top Spin introduced it. Namco and Nintendo alone have implemented it well in the past. Smash Court 2 looks real good, you should check that out.

levious said:
DJ -

You keep saying VT... are you still referring to 2k2? I disagree that surface did not matter in either version of Sega Tennis. Carpet especially, most of my friends refuse to play on it.

2k2. Obviously VT is inferior to 2k2 so I didn't bother including it in the comparison. Again, surfaces in 2k2 do not change gameplay as much as they do in TS. It's just something you have to have the play experience to comprehend, I don't know how I can continue to restate this.

levious said:
Smashes are not unstoppable at all, I've had countless exchanges with multiple smashes returned and the volley continuing... especially in doubles matches. Skillfull return choice is all it takes.

Again, I pointed out that if you return it, it will be a soft return or another lob, which a smart player (and even worse, a player using a created character as I described) will continue to overhead slam until you are forced to lob out or miss. In Top Spin (through the use of the risk shot meter or different shot types) you can make not only a solid return but also a winning shot.

levious said:
Your comment on player creation is interesting, but player that small would ultimately sacrifice something in power capability right?

The trick is (I forgot to mention it earlier) you must make your short guy a heavyweight. I created a 5'8" 200 lb player and continually crushed my friends who used a variety of weights/heights skills with the same overhead slam spamming. When we switched characters, I was destroyed nearly as easily as they were. This character build can easily beat King and Queen on the 26th court match.

levious said:
I wouldn't call balls hitting the net and still going over EXTREMELEY rare... but one thing I never liked was how hard it was to hit a ball into the net.

Drop shots, yeah, I guess you could say there's no true drop shot in VT/2k2, but it seems like you haven't played that many tennis games to say that Top Spin introduced it. Namco and Nintendo alone have implemented it well in the past. Smash Court 2 looks real good, you should check that out.

Never played Mario Tennis (I don't really consider that a real tennis game), didn't recall that Smash Court had a drop shot available. Let me restate then: Top Spin's method of controlling a drop shot is its greatest addition to the tennis video game.

I didn't like Smash Court very much, the controls felt cumbersome and I didn't feel like I was in complete control of my shots.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
TS is better than 2k2 for actual tennis gameplay, but single player the learning curve is poor (its boringly easy till you get to grand slams, then frustratingly difficult), and theres barely ever anyone around to play online with.

If they make another one, it needs more interesting mini-games and an arcade mode.

levious

DJ Demon J said:
2k2. Obviously VT is inferior to 2k2 so I didn't bother including it in the comparison. Again, surfaces in 2k2 do not change gameplay as much as they do in TS. It's just something you have to have the play experience to comprehend, I don't know how I can continue to restate this.

I believe and agree that they make more of a difference in TS... but I was arguing with your statement that surfaces didn't matter in VT, if that's not what you mean then fine.

DJ Demon J said:
Again, I pointed out that if you return it, it will be a soft return or another lob, which a smart player (and even worse, a player using a created character as I described) will continue to overhead slam until you are forced to lob out or miss. In Top Spin (through the use of the risk shot meter or different shot types) you can make not only a solid return but also a winning shot.

It's not hopeless, and I'd also argue that hitting a winner return off of a strong smash shot is ridiculous.

DJ Demon J said:
Never played Mario Tennis (I don't really consider that a real tennis game), didn't recall that Smash Court had a drop shot available. I didn't like Smash Court very much, the controls felt cumbersome and I didn't feel like I was in complete control of my shots.

Mario Tennis probably gave the most control over shots and had the most balanced risk ratio, in that going for the deep or far right shots would give rise to a high risk of hitting the ball out.

Smash.. your complaints are understandable, but being able to direct shots in that game comes down to properly timing your shot, if you time it poorly, it just goes back to the center of the court. US version is out soon I think... I got the PAL version a little bit ago and really like it.

levious said:
I believe and agree that they make more of a difference in TS... but I was arguing with your statement that surfaces didn't matter in VT, if that's not what you mean then fine.

That's pretty much what I meant, although I still think VT's surfaces are pretty much interchangeable. :)

levious said:
It's not hopeless, and I'd also argue that hitting a winner return off of a strong smash shot is ridiculous.

Well, yes, consistently being able to strongly return a strong smash shot does not happen in real tennis, but it can happen once or twice, and VT does not reflect that.

levious said:
Mario Tennis probably gave the most control over shots and had the most balanced risk ratio, in that going for the deep or far right shots would give rise to a high risk of hitting the ball out.

Smash.. your complaints are understandable, but being able to direct shots in that game comes down to properly timing your shot, if you time it poorly, it just goes back to the center of the court. US version is out soon I think... I got the PAL version a little bit ago and really like it.

Yea, timing is one thing, but making it default to center court is a poor design decision. I've purposely mishit balls with bad timing to throw off the pace of the rally and score points/set up shot opportunities, but I did so still having the ability to place my shot in at least the right direction.

levious

smash court gives you backspin, topspin, and minimal spin shots, all with varying speed, to choose from so purposely mishitting a ball to throw off pace is not neccessary.

As a design choice I'd say it reflects the real game well... when you watch an actual rally, many shots are returned to the center due to not being able to setup an aimed shot to a corner, and if you time your shot wrong in the game... I think it's a good result.

Dujour

Banned
I got it today, it'll be a few days until I'm pretty good at it, but if anyone ever wants to play on xbc sometime, let me know.

bjork

I really really want this game, but after playing Virtua Tennis, I stay away from tennis games... Jim Courier being a cheating bitch lead me to basically destroy a perfectly good DC in a fit of rage... he will get his one day...

IJoel

We should get a list of people here that can play in a tourney. A tennis tourney would be quite cool and wouldn't take much time.

Meier

Top Spin was a great game but it was very flawed compared to Tennis 2k2 which remains the best tennis game ever. Looking forward to the (a?) sequel though where they hopefully iron out some of the original's issue.

Dujour

Banned
I think Tennis 2K2 is easier to pick up and is more of an arcade game that Top Spin is. From what little I've played of it so far, it's not as easy to pick up as Sega's gem, but the it just seems deeper. I guess it's just that it uses more buttons.

Joe

if you're gonna play with friends or on xbox live then definitely get it. it's a lot of fun. i wouldnt suggest it for system link play online because you will probably hardly ever find a game.

bjork

Meier said:
Top Spin was a great game but it was very flawed compared to Tennis 2k2 which remains the best tennis game ever.

Better than Lesbian Tennis? omg sir no

smack.gif

Top Bottom