• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera release date - 2/18/17

Backers, check your emails. Everyone else:

Hello Exiles,

Today's update is a little on the short side, but I think you'll forgive us this time…

We are extremely excited to announce that Torment: Tides of Numenera will be releasing February 28th, 2017! It has been a long journey, and without your help on Kickstarter it would never have happened. We could not be happier to be delivering a successor to the Torment name and legacy, and we look forward to you enjoying it early next year.

EDIT: Note, I typed the wrong date in the title - it's supposed to be 2/28/17. Sorry about that.

I backed this like half a decade ago or something. This feels like too long a dev cycle but I'm ignorant as to what it takes release a functional game. Either way, my hype certainly didn't last all these years.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Can't wait. I've been avoiding the people play testing the game. Want to go in to the final finished product but I am stupid excited.

I backed this like half a decade ago or something. This feels like too long a dev cycle but I'm ignorant as to what it takes release a functional game. Either way, my hype certainly didn't last all these years.

this kind of game takes a long time if you want your choices to be meaningful

hopefully they will be!

Can't wait. I've been avoiding the people play testing the game. Want to go in to the final finished product but I am stupid excited.

Probably better off waiting till the game's been out a few months then. I'd expect a lot of early patches

I backed this like half a decade ago or something. This feels like too long a dev cycle but I'm ignorant as to what it takes to dish out a functional game. Either way, my hype certainly didn't last all these years.

Hype seems to have died everywhere. I rarely even see talk of the beta/early access version that's been out for a long time now.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Hype seems to have died everywhere. I rarely even see talk of the beta/early access version that's been out for a long time now.

To be fair I've not touched that version cause I don't want to spoil myself, taint my experience. I just want the game to come out before diving in.

To be fair I've not touched that version cause I don't want to spoil myself, taint my experience. I just want the game to come out before diving in.

I've done the same, I'm just more surprised that I didn't see much interest in it from others. Maybe I just didn't look in the right places.

They've smartly given themselves a 3 month window to build hype. The game has so much depth in terms of choice and conversation that it took a long time to do right. I've avoided almost everything, so I'm really excited about this.

HStallion

I've done the same, I'm just more surprised that I didn't see much interest in it from others. Maybe I just didn't look in the right places.

This is me basically. I backed the game when it was on kickstarter, dropped a sizable amount it actually as I really fucking loved the original game. I've basically avoided most things once the game was getting into players hands.

Buggy Loop

Fuck yes! Finally! RPG of the year 2017 folks.

March 2013 the kickstarter opened. It's pretty standard development time, quite short actually for a CRPG.

There's only chapter 1. I found it very good, but it's just the intro, and nothing was added from beta, to open beta to "early access" on steam.

You're, uh...off by 10 days.

I've pretty much kept completely black out on this. I'm excited for it tho, I kickstarted the tabletop game and have all the books so I really love the world.

That's awesome, really looking forward to this.

To the people in the know, how deep was Patrick Rothfuss's involvement with this?

Sarek

For any absolute beginners to what Torment is and this world of Numenera, these are great videos to check out

Welcome to the Ninth World - Numenera (fan description vid)

World of Numenera Trailer

Thanks for the vids. Numenera seems like perfect setting for this kind of game

That's awesome, really looking forward to this.

To the people in the know, how deep was Patrick Rothfuss's involvement with this?

Only thing I know is that he wrote one of the companions.

With inXile at the helm? Divine intervention.

We talking about a company that rereleased a PC RPG on consoles, called it director's cut, and it still had a truckload of bugs and clearly unfinished parts.

epmode

I haven't played all that much but the bits I tried are promising. The combat encounters are apparently all unique and highly scripted so that you can tackle them in all sorts of different ways. Numenera's an interesting place too.

I really don't like the intro though. It's a bit confusing and it isn't as immediately engrossing as Planescape: Torment. Maybe they'll change it by the time it goes live.

StereoVsn

Man, Jan-April continue to be crazier and crazier. I have 0 idea when I can get to this one but I backed t a long time ago so at least will have the key in Steam.

Torment looks like it's tracking at about the same rate in the Most Anticipated Games of 2017 thread as it was in the 2016 thread. Now that it has a set date (and only 2 months away), I'm guessing it might pick up a few more votes.

ricki42

Have they said anything whether it'll release on all platforms simultaneously? steamdb currently has it listed as Windows only, and the Mac and Linux versions don't get updates nearly as often as the Windows version. Hope that changes before release.

Zukkoyaki

Super excited for this! But damn is early 2017 packed for me.

I hope it's successful both for Inxile and for Techland as the first major game they're publishing themselves.

Taruranto

I think the only old style CRPG (in recent times) that had a lot of hype behind it was PoE, I don't remember much like Divinity (People thought it was a diable clone lol) and Tyranny. Not sure about Wasteland.

Onemic

I think the only old style CRPG (in recent times) that had a lot of hype behind it was PoE, I don't remember much like Divinity (People thought it was a diable clone lol) and Tyranny. Not sure about Wasteland.

A lot of people liked Divinity. Part of the reason why they made console ports and a Special Edition.(As well as a sequel) Wasteland also had a lot of hype as well.

The only exception has been Tyranny, but I think that has more to do with the minimal marketing push.

Have they said anything whether it'll release on all platforms simultaneously? steamdb currently has it listed as Windows only, and the Mac and Linux versions don't get updates nearly as often as the Windows version. Hope that changes before release.
I saw an interview on Eurogamer with Xbone footage and they said it was a simultaneous launch.

I'm really interested in the PS4 version, I'm just worried about the text being small like Wasteland 2. It did look better from what I could see.

Taruranto

A lot of people liked Divinity. Part of the reason why they made console ports and a Special Edition.(As well as a sequel) Wasteland also had a lot of hype as well.

I'm talking about pre-release hype specifically. There is no doubt OS was a success.

Buggy Loop

Btw, anyone know what happened to this?

CastoffsLabyrinth_zps69aa90b7.gif

It's a lot of fathom levels to implement and we have not seen anything about it. Well, we haven't seen much actually about the game, they are keeping it close to heart. I really hope this makes it in, it's about the sametime i backed the kickstarter.

HStallion

Btw, anyone know what happened to this?

CastoffsLabyrinth_zps69aa90b7.gif

It's a lot of fathom levels to implement and we have not seen anything about it. Well, we haven't seen much actually about the game, they are keeping it close to heart. I really hope this makes it in, it's about the sametime i backed the kickstarter.

To be fair the developers noted that this was basically just concept art to vaguely outline what they were trying to do. I don't expect the actual game to appear just like this and probably not even close. The idea behind it is still very much in the game from the sounds of it but I think its going to be something fairly unique that the concept art just hinted at.

Anyon have general impressions of the game's latest Early Access version? Looking forward to play it on my PS4, but Horizon comes out the same day!

Nzyme32

Anyon have general impressions of the game's latest Early Access version? Looking forward to play it on my PS4, but Horizon comes out the same day!

Friends that played it really enjoyed it but said it was too short to really judge it, especially considering how much more content will be there at launch

Smoolio

What's the latest on romance in this game? Initially it sounded like a no but thought I saw some possibilities a while back. Loved the romance in bg2 and mask of the betrayer, the lack thereof is the one thing that's annoying me in all these recent crpgs.

For what's there in early access, the game looks fantastic and is incredibly well-written and interesting. But yea, it's short. I think my concern is the combat but I'm hopeful considering the pedigree here.

Can't wait as I think the Numenera setting is really intriguing.

Top Bottom