• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Quick

Banned
I haven't seen Ricoh Coliseum so packed (based on the TV broadcast). I'm loving this. If they had the Marlies on TV regularly, I'd probably just forget about the lockout.

Watching the CFL right now.

Hamilton vs. Calgary and it's snowing over there in the west. :eek:

NO. NO. NOPE. NO.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Was going to try to check out the Wii U at Dundas Square today (I was in the area) but between the usual Square madness, the Wii U throngs and the 8000-strong zombie walk hapenning at the same time/place with attendant photographers and gawking people, I decided to not hang around. It was bonkers down there today.

edit: Anyone that went early today. I had the Dwight Mii that said ThisIsNeoGAFdude

We got there about five minutes before 11. Had to wait about half an hour in line to play. Tried Scribbenauts.. which is a bit more disjointed going from large screen to gamepad than looking between the DS screens. Luigi's Mansion Nintendo Land game, which was pretty easy since all the players were talking and hunting the poor ghost so easily. And NSMB U, which had a poorly calibrated.. or worn out, Game Pad. Whenever I would try to place a block on the right, it would just place it in the middle of the screen. Anything not on the right side of the Game Pad would place correctly though. Attendant had no idea if he could fix, or reset the Game Pad.

Overall I was sort of bummed out by the experience. The Game Pad itself is nice to hold, but nothing I got to use it for there really justifies its existence.

BKXB

Economist
Has anyone been to W Burger Bar? How is it? Apparently it's pretty close to my apartment and I'd like to try it out.

I'm a fan of their turkey burger, and you can load up on lots of great toppings. Not sure how their beef burgers compare to other places though. Also, cheap beer.

Cons: very loud, and tables are close together.

Roto13

I'm a fan of their turkey burger, and you can load up on lots of great toppings. Not sure how their beef burgers compare to other places though. Also, cheap beer.

Cons: very loud, and tables are close together.

Oh. Hmm. I'm kind of looking for somewhere quieter, and more relaxing.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I won't lie I am slightly tempted by the WiiU.

In the end I probably won't buy it as I'll look at my barely used 360 and PS3 and remember this'll be a waste of money for me.

Was going to try to check out the Wii U at Dundas Square today (I was in the area) but between the usual Square madness, the Wii U throngs and the 8000-strong zombie walk hapenning at the same time/place with attendant photographers and gawking people, I decided to not hang around. It was bonkers down there today.

I got down there this evening just as the truck was pulling out.

Heathbar

Neo Member
I got to check out the Wii U tour and Yonge and Dundas... but found it underwhelming. On NSMB U the graphics seemed less sharp than I was expecting. The play was fairly good but a nothing too new. Wish they had brought Rayman or ZombiU along instead of having 2 Nintendoland and two NSMB U stations (+Scribblenauts, Just Dance and Sing Party).

Doesn't affect my preorder, but has dampened my excitement.

edit: Anyone that went early today. I had the Dwight Mii that said ThisIsNeoGAFdude

We got there about five minutes before 11. Had to wait about half an hour in line to play. Tried Scribbenauts.. which is a bit more disjointed going from large screen to gamepad than looking between the DS screens. Luigi's Mansion Nintendo Land game, which was pretty easy since all the players were talking and hunting the poor ghost so easily. And NSMB U, which had a poorly calibrated.. or worn out, Game Pad. Whenever I would try to place a block on the right, it would just place it in the middle of the screen. Anything not on the right side of the Game Pad would place correctly though. Attendant had no idea if he could fix, or reset the Game Pad.

Overall I was sort of bummed out by the experience. The Game Pad itself is nice to hold, but nothing I got to use it for there really justifies its existence.
How did you try out all those games? The reps kicked everyone after just playing one when I was there. Only got to play the Luigi's Mansion mini game.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
How did you try out all those games? The reps kicked everyone after just playing one when I was there. Only got to play the Luigi's Mansion mini game.

They must have picked up the pace later in the day; We got in about 11:30. Seemed like each group got about 15-20 minutes before they moved us out. I got about five minutes of Scribblenauts, a couple rounds of Luigi, and two stages in Mario.

zroid

Banned
Oh wow, guess I made the right decision going on Friday. They pretty much let us stay as long as we wanted. I was playing for nearly an hour, I think.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oh wow, guess I made the right decision going on Friday. They pretty much let us stay as long as we wanted. I was playing for nearly an hour, I think.

Line was probably about 100 people long before they even opened. I would have gone on Friday, but the commute I would have had would have been longer than the wait in line. :p

Went to Holy Chuck yesterday, got myself a Grind & Shine burger, which was delicious. I accompanied it with the gluttonous nutella and salted caramel shake.

It's a rather expensive meal for a burger, but tasty nonetheless. Would go again if the craving struck.

Quadratic

Holy Chuck is that burger joint at St. Clair and Yonge? Are their burgers smashed style like Shake Shack in NYC? I've been meaning to go for a long time.

Yup, Yonge and St Clair.

Not sure what you mean by "smashed style", but they certainly look hand-crafted. The patties are fairly thin though, for a hand-crafted burger.

I'm going to start my quest for my favourite Toronto burger now. Chuck was a good start.

Mr. F

Banned
Still need to expand my burger horizons. Had Hero Burger the other night and forgot how mediocre it was - total ripoff. Big Smoke remains my favourite in my limited experience.

thabiz

I find you just have to take chances and try places. All depends on location, price range, and what you like.

I find these to be the biggest factors. It's either way out of the way, or ridiculously priced. I guess i need to be more passionate about finding restaurants.

BKXB

Economist
I've lived here for two years. How do I still not know anywhere to eat in my area besides mediocre semi-fast food?

If you limit yourself to burgers...I mean Guu is right down the street. Pita Land is at Gerrard west of Jarvis, and has some of the best shawarma's in town. Brown Bag Sandwiches has some good stuff too, try the Chicken Salad Sandwich. Mehran (next to Guu) is a dump, but has some great Indian.

Someone find me a nice cozy pub-style place where I can get a decent burger near the Village.

Hair of the Dog. My regular drinking joint, and a decent (not phenomenal) burger.

edit for moar food: Fabarnak has a great lunch deal called the Square Peg - changes everyday, and a great value. Lola's further up Church St. has great brunches. Want to eat/drink like a Korean? Go to Ehwa Bar on Isabella - get some form of fried chicken and beer. Head up Church past Bloor to King's Palace for excellent Pakistani food.

Roto13

If you limit yourself to burgers...I mean Guu is right down the street. Pita Land is at Gerrard west of Jarvis, and has some of the best shawarma's in town. Brown Bag Sandwiches has some good stuff too, try the Chicken Salad Sandwich. Mehran (next to Guu) is a dump, but has some great Indian.

Hair of the Dog. My regular drinking joint, and a decent (not phenomenal) burger.

It's not that I only eat burgers, I'm just looking for something specific right now. :p I'll probably try some of those places, though. The only one I've been to is Brown Bag, but I wasn't that impressed with it. My husband makes awesome sandwiches at home. :p

daemonic

Banned

edit for moar food: Fabarnak has a great lunch deal called the Square Peg - changes everyday, and a great value. Lola's further up Church St. has great brunches. Want to eat/drink like a Korean? Go to Ehwa Bar on Isabella - get some form of fried chicken and beer. Head up Church past Bloor to King's Palace for excellent Pakistani food.

Seconded on Hair of the Dog, good food and atmosphere. Also frequent it for drinking.

Quadratic

Yup, Yonge and St Clair.

Not sure what you mean by "smashed style", but they certainly look hand-crafted. The patties are fairly thin though, for a hand-crafted burger.

I'm going to start my quest for my favourite Toronto burger now. Chuck was a good start.

By the way you describe it it sounds like a smashed burger.
Here's a good Star article about the style: http://www.thestar.com/living/food/article/1010025--if-you-want-to-eat-a-juicy-burger-just-smash-it

Basically it's pressing down on the burger on the flat top to create crust while not over pressing so you lose all the juice.

Roto13: If you want something cheap and delicious I would recommend Turkish pide. It's kind of like pizza and very affordable and cheap! Here's a good article about them: http://www.blogto.com/toronto/the_best_pide_in_toronto/

pide.jpg

Dyno

It's not that I only eat burgers, I'm just looking for something specific right now. :p I'll probably try some of those places, though. The only one I've been to is Brown Bag, but I wasn't that impressed with it. My husband makes awesome sandwiches at home. :p

It's a franchise but I like the burgers and the chicken wings at the Churchmouse and Firkin. Cozy place, relaxed atmopshere, decent patio in good weather.

Roto13

Thanks for the recommendations, peoples. I'm gonna make a note of them and take another look next time I feel like going out somewhere.

Quadratic

People tend to love or hate Five Guys. It's a reasonably constructed burger however quite messy when you consume it. A standard burger there is a double patty. Free toppings which other joints like Hero would charge for. More fries than you know what to do with. The only issue I have is that you get the burger in foil and if you don't eat it soon after ordering it begins to steam inside causing the bun to get soggy.

Burger Priest is quite good. You do feel like a hipster ordering off the secret menu (which isn't secret at all). The patty is very flavourful due to the mix of meat used. It's pricier than Five Guys but I would recommend trying it out at least once. These are viewed as some of the best burgers in the city. It's a smashed burger which I put a link up a few posts. Some might not like how it can crumble while being eaten.

Having eaten at both I would tip the scale to Burger's Priest.

CO-BurgerPriest03.jpg

I haven't been to Holy Chuck yet.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
How many times has the burger conservation happened in this thread? Four? Five? You guys care about burgers way too much.

is there any gaming cafes - where you can sit and chill and play video games from consoles..wonder if that type of thing would be successful in toronto/misissauga

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
is there any gaming cafes - where you can sit and chill and play video games from consoles..wonder if that type of thing would be successful in toronto/misissauga

There is one of these near where I live. I didn't know what it was when I wandered into it (we thought it was a bubble tea place), but it was filled with teenage boys.

Mmm, Golden Star Banquet Burger.

Sidebar: I did not intend to re-start the burger conversation, I just felt like reporting a delicious food find in the city I love.

WEGZ has xbox's and rock band

Maybe some of the internet cafes around Eaton Centre? They used to have things like that

Only go to Wegz if you hate food.

WEGZ has xbox's and rock band

Maybe some of the internet cafes around Eaton Centre? They used to have things like that

yeah i remember back in the day there was a plethora of internet cafe, fused with gameshops/comic stores but their all gone now...I know Silver Snail moved to yonge & bloor I think maybe their cafe has a gaming room.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
How many times has the burger conservation happened in this thread? Four? Five? You guys care about burgers way too much.
Lol someone takin over for me.

I don't bother anymore since I disagree with almost everyone. I have terrible opinions. :p
You hate burger's priest. Your opinion is invalid. Zaget rated, bro.
apache.jpg

The king.
size but not flavor.

Lot of Leafs go there....mayb Kessel going too much. And it's far out in the West

zroid

Banned
I need to try some more burger joints. I pretty much stick to Johnny's and Five Guys these days. Someone recommended me Golden Star years ago but I never went. I guess I will.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Lol someone takin over for me.

You hate burger's priest. Your opinion is invalid. Zaget rated, bro.

size but not flavor.

Lot of Leafs go there....mayb Kessel going too much. And it's far out in the West

It's not my fault everything about the burger and place is terrible except for the meat!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Goddamn I can't wait for this shitty US election to be over. I'm so tired of hearing about it. There's enough shitty politics in Toronto itself already.

Top Bottom