• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Dyno

Well I don't want to talk to him about his inventions, I don't think - while I think those were really interesting.

And I don't want to ask him any question I can just google, so 'factual statements' are boring.

I think I might ask him something about how feels society will transition into the rapidly expanding scientific functionality we are achieving in the next decade, but something -more- specific than that. He'll probably talk about that at one point.

I guess I should have MULTIPLE questions prepared, in case someone asks him something I wanted to ask him before me, or in case he mentions it during his presentation. Mind if I still your question (or the spirit of it) as one of the possible questions I can ask?

Ask him about his suppliment intake. The guy is up to around 200 pills a day! Ask him if he's ever gone off the suppliments, does he notice the difference, what suppliments he could never live without. You might get some good insight with that topic.

ErjlJ.jpg

source

neptunes

Psychedelic Furs tonight and Public Image Ltd, thursday. It's 80's week.

Anyone been to the Danforth Music Hall? Is the sound decent?
Saw flying lotus there last Saturday, don't like how there's only one washroom, and the drink selection is kind of weak.

Roto13

Retro City Rampage was developed in Vancouver and not Toronto, but PJ Fresh Phil Guerrero is in it.

That's got me wondering what he's been up to, so I googled him and discovered that he has a show called Public Access TV (it's on YouTube) and I guess Snit is there? I couldn't stand to watch it long or closely enough to be sure if that's supposed to be Snit or just a Snit-like TV monitor. It's... really uncomfortable.

EDIT: And it's on Rogers TV which I guess actually is public access and it's not just called that. Oof.

thabiz

Are you kidding me!? He almost bankrupted Canada with the National Energy Policy.

Ahh, nevermind, politics are horrible things.

I meant Justin. He jumped lib numbers by 10 points in, what, 2 weeks. Politics is all about popularity, and who's more popular in Canadian politics than a Trudeau.

thabiz

At little update on the Bailao DUI.

Bailao was arrested on impaired driving charges early Tuesday morning. A police officer spotted Bailao driving north on Bathurst St. without her headlights on, according to a source. She initially did not stop for the officer and was finally pulled over at Bathurst and Harbord Sts. at 1:47 a.m.

She was charged with having a blood alcohol level above 80 mg.

She may be in a bit of trouble considering this.

In Ontario, a BAC of 50 mg per 100 ml of blood (.05) or over can lead to a driver's licence suspension. A BAC of 80 mg per 100 ml of blood (.08)or over is a criminal offence.

thabiz

I will never understand this type of crap for so many reasons. This may ruin her career. Councillors make more than enough money to afford a cab. There's no excuse.

This will ruin her career. She's a rookie and has little clout.

Hell, if i go to any company function, they hand out taxi tickets.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I don't know if it will ruin her career, there's another councilor who has a DUI on his record that I believe stuck around and perhaps got a promotion recently...

Willectro

Banned
This will ruin her career. She's a rookie and has little clout.

Hell, if i go to any company function, they hand out taxi tickets.

Also, I thought I remembered from when I took the Smart Serve course (years back), that if you served alcohol at your house, you were partially responsible for people drinking and their subsequent actions. Shame on that moron Ford for allowing her to drive. I don't know what goes through politicians heads sometimes.

I'm sure this will have a very negative effect on her career, but I doubt she will face the same penalties as 'joe public' would.

thabiz

I don't know if it will ruin her career, there's another councilor who has a DUI on his record that I believe stuck around and perhaps got a promotion recently...

“It sends a message to the Toronto public — which I can tell you that constituents do not support — that it’s okay to drink and drive in Toronto and it’s a mistake if you get caught,” said Andrew Murie. “To be blunt, I think it’s deplorable.”

“I’m sick and tired of people discounting the seriousness of impaired driving,” he said. “Part of what they should be saying to her is: Step up — not be sitting there teary-eyed and saying, ‘I’m going to plead not guilty.’ If I’m a true friend I’m going to say to her: ‘Be a leader. Be accountable.’”

Murie pointed to the example set by British Columbia Premier Gordon Campbell, who was charged with impaired driving in 2003.

“When he got caught he said, ‘I’m guilty.’ He didn’t try to defend himself and say it was a mistake. He took his punishment. He quit drinking. He did a bunch of things to say ‘the onus is on me,’” Murie said.

This is why she is toast. If she took the onus and accepted it and did something positive, people are willing to forget.

Edit: Background: Andrew Murie is the CEO of MADD.

thabiz

Also, I thought I remembered from when I took the Smart Serve course (years back), that if you served alcohol at your house, you were partially responsible for people drinking and their subsequent actions. Shame on that moron Ford for allowing her to drive. I don't know what goes through politicians heads sometimes.

I'm sure this will have a very negative effect on her career, but I doubt she will face the same penalties as 'joe public' would.

He is fully responsible as it was a city function at his house. Not that anything is going to happen, but he should speak out about this, not sweeping it under the rug.

thabiz

I'm not suggesting she's going to get the boot from her seat.

I'm sure her ward will remember this come voting time, if she keeps playing the arrogance card.

He is fully responsible as it was a city function at his house. Not that anything is going to happen, but he should speak out about this, not sweeping it under the rug.

She may have gone to the Thomson hotel after the event, there is a few hour gap between the Ford party and when she was driving

Willectro

Banned
This is why she is toast. If she took the onus and accepted it and did something positive, people are willing to forget.

How can she even entertain a not guilty plea? She was at a party, then got caught driving around with no headlights and blew way over. I really hope the police were diligent and this doesn't get turned around because of a loophole.

i believe if she was intoxicated at the party and left for another bar, the charge would still fall on him.

Yea, if she was already intoxicated then the 2nd bar would get into trouble for serving her more

And everyone pleads not guilty to get a trial, its your right to do so

thabiz

Yea, if she was already intoxicated then the 2nd bar would get into trouble for serving her more

And everyone pleads not guilty to get a trial, its your right to do so

The 2001 case of Hunt v. Sutton Group caused many companies to rethink employee
events that have an alcohol component. The fact that the case was sent back for trial
following an appeal did little to warm the “chill” factor of this case. The trial judge
appeared to broaden the onus on the employer who did monitor the consumption of the
employee to a limited degree, brought her apparent intoxication to her attention and
provided some options for her to return home other than by driving herself. However, the
options were deemed insufficient by the trial judge.
The plaintiff, Hunt was a receptionist for the defendant, Sutton Group, which had a dropin
Christmas party for staff and customers in 1994. Hunt began work at 1 p.m. and by 4
p.m., her boss noticed that she seemed be intoxicated. He suggested that he would call
her husband but she told him she was fine. The evidence is that she did not appear to be
intoxicated after this point. At 6:30, the boss offered cabs to everyone and another
employee who didn’t drink offered rides for everyone.
Instead she drove to a pub where she stayed until 8 p.m. There was mixed evidence as to
how much she drank, but the court made a finding of fact that it was 2 beers. The
weather was poor and she was offered a place to stay by one her co-workers as she had a
45 minute drive home. She declined the offer. At 9:45, one hour and 45 minutes after
she left and 12.2 kms from the pub, the collision occurred. Most of the time was
unaccounted and she had suffered a head injury and therefore had no memory.
There was a finding of 25% liability against both the employer and the pub.

The trial judge found the employer had a duty to protect its employee from harm, as in,
providing safe working conditions, and the duty extended to insure that she did not
become intoxicated while in the course of her work and subsequently drive home. By
having an open and unsupervised bar, the employer was unable to monitor the
consumption of alcohol of its employees. The employer “owed its employee an
overriding managerial responsibility to safeguard her from an unreasonable risk of
personal injury while on duty.

Looks like they would both be at fault as it was a city function. Guess it would depend on what happened at the party and IF she went to the other bar. She hasnt admitted the second part.

thabiz

I intend to plead not guilty. I assure you that I am taking these charges very seriously and I will continue to cooperate with the legal process.

Then why wouldn't you just accept the charge and not waste taxpayers money on a trial.

Hell, even Rob the Rotund pleaded no contest when he got busted.

thabiz

Those were great. I do feel badly for the guy that they were released though. We all do stupid things amongst friends & colleagues that we wouldn't want available for public consumption.

I wish i could get away with saying some of that shit in my office. Especially with a woman standing beside me.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Finally getting off my lazy ass and going back to work on Monday. It's going to be a bitch of a drive though because I have to go from Scarborough to Square One in Mississauga. I'll get used to a long commute again since for a couple of years I worked at various sites in Brampton. I'm not sure what my shift is going to be but it'll either be 7-2:45 M-F or 7-3:15 M-Th and 7-12:30 on Fridays. I'm hoping for the latter since I love getting off work early on Fridays.

Anyone know which side of the mall the new Target is under construction? That's where I'll be working.

thabiz

Finally getting off my lazy ass and going back to work on Monday. It's going to be a bitch of a drive though because I have to go from Scarborough to Square One in Mississauga. I'll get used to a long commute again since for a couple of years I worked at various sites in Brampton. I'm not sure what my shift is going to be but it'll either be 7-2:45 M-F or 7-3:15 M-Th and 7-12:30 on Fridays. I'm hope for the latter since I love getting off work early on Fridays.

Anyone know which side of the mall the new Target is under construction? That's where I'll be working.

Congrats on the new job.

Dont go to Square One, so i cant help there, but....

CONGRATS!!!!

Divvy

Finally getting off my lazy ass and going back to work on Monday. It's going to be a bitch of a drive though because I have to go from Scarborough to Square One in Mississauga. I'll get used to a long commute again since for a couple of years I worked at various sites in Brampton. I'm not sure what my shift is going to be but it'll either be 7-2:45 M-F or 7-3:15 M-Th and 7-12:30 on Fridays. I'm hoping for the latter since I love getting off work early on Fridays.

Congrats! Target will be at the north west corner of the mall

I wish i could get away with saying some of that shit in my office. Especially with a woman standing beside me.

Out of context it looks terrible obviously, but maybe Anne Mxyzptlk is just as offensive?

I'm not saying I walk around pointing at my junk and spouting racial epithets but I'm sure that without context most people's behaviour could be viewed as offensive.

thabiz

Out of context it looks terrible obviously, but maybe Anne Mxyzptlk is just as offensive?

I'm not saying I walk around pointing at my junk and spouting racial epithets but I'm sure that without context most people's behaviour could be viewed as offensive.

LOL!

I've heard stories about her. She apparently hates female coworkers, and has done and said some nasty stuff. A friend of mine wouldn't even put CITY on his resume, cause he was so embarrassed to have worked there.

He got publicly shamed, which i think is the appropriate punishment. If he did this today, i think it might have gone a little differently. Guys a legendary a-hole, so it's not shocking. Just crass.

Fuzzy

Congrats on the new job.

Dont go to Square One, so i cant help there, but....

CONGRATS!!!!
Thanks, I just enjoyed not working for so long. :p

Congrats! Target will be at the north west corner of the mall
Thanks. So getting off the 403 at Hurontario and taking Square One Dr west is the best way for me? I'll leave a little early just to make sure I find it okay and so that I'm not late.

LOL!

I've heard stories about her. She apparently hates female coworkers, and has done and said some nasty stuff. A friend of mine wouldn't even put CITY on his resume, cause he was so embarrassed to have worked there.

He got publicly shamed, which i think is the appropriate punishment. If he did this today, i think it might have gone a little differently. Guys a legendary a-hole, so it's not shocking. Just crass.

While we're on the topic of City TV, I saw a VHS tape years ago that included a ton of behind the scenes footage from that station. There was a 40 minute segment that was just various people engaged in sex acts in the Speaker's Corner booth. Amazingly common occurrence apparently.

Divvy

Thanks, I just enjoyed not working for so long. :p

Thanks. So getting off the 403 at Hurontario and taking Square One Dr west is the best way for me? I'll leave a little early just to make sure I find it okay and so that I'm not late.

Driving? Yeah that's probably the fastest way coming westbound.

thabiz

While we're on the topic of City TV, I saw a VHS tape years ago that included a ton of behind the scenes footage from that station. There was a 40 minute segment that was just various people engaged in sex acts in the Speaker's Corner booth. Amazingly common occurrence apparently.

I stopped paying attention after what they did to Harold. Disgraceful. "we're all about the future". smh

I think thats why they shut down speakers corner. The amount of vomit and urine in that booth was disgusting.

Fuzzy

Driving? Yeah that's probably the fastest way coming westbound.
Yeah I always drive to work because the amount of time it would take me to get anywhere by public transit just isn't worth it. I even drive downtown when I have to work down there because it would take me over an hour by TTC in the morning and I don't feel like leaving my house before 6 when I can leave at 6:30 and drive. In the afternoon the TTC still takes longer since I'm usually on the DVP before traffic starts getting bad. Plus, half the time I take my tools home and I'm not lugging that shit on a subway/bus.

Divvy

Yeah I always drive to work because the amount of time it would take me to get anywhere by public transit just isn't worth it. I even drive downtown when I have to work down there because it would take me over an hour by TTC in the morning and I don't feel like leaving my house before 6 when I can leave at 6:30 and drive. In the afternoon the TTC still takes longer since I'm usually on the DVP before traffic starts getting bad. Plus, half the time I take my tools home and I'm not lugging that shit on a subway/bus.

Well you're other option might be to park your car around sheppard and yonge and catch the go bus there that goes directly to SQ 1. Rush hour might be bad, so you could potentially catch some Zzzs on the bus.

Fuzzy

Well you're other option might be to park your car around sheppard and yonge and catch the go bus there that goes directly to SQ 1. Rush hour might be bad, so you could potentially catch some Zzzs on the bus.
Nah, leaving work at 2:45 or 3:15 (depending on my shift) isn't bad to drive across the entire city. I'll be home in 30-40 minutes tops.

Rinoa

I think thats why they shut down speakers corner. The amount of vomit and urine in that booth was disgusting.

It's definitely one of the reasons why. There's a drain there for a reason...

I worked with the producer of speaker's corner for a bit and did some commercials for her. The real reason was a sign of the times. We now had youtube and stuff.

With the CTV merger coming, certain things now were part of Rogers and Speaker's was one of them. Originally CTV planned to turn that corner into something interactive from the outside to huge tv screens inside, like a wii/dancing game - never happened though.

Top Bottom