• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Oppo

It annoys me to no end that the government has spread all the social assistance shit across the city/province. Put them all in some shitty location well on the outskirts of the city and keep all the losers/welfarites/addicts/homeless in one location. Toronto has all these pockets of shit that you must be cautious of as a normal citizen. This government really needs to drop a pair and deal with these social issues head on. I'm sick of paying income tax so welfarites can drink beer and watch TV all day.

Can't agree with that Willectro.

You can see the results in a bunch of american cities, and europe. Chicago and Paris have this donut of pure despair around the city core. It's not a solution to just put them out of sight.

Stet

Banned
Assembly generally means put together. Parts are made overseas. It's cheaper.

Wake up. A lot of the profits are going back to Japan.

This is like a nutty conspiracy theory. What Canadian company would you prefer we give money to? GM? Ford? Your money is going elsewhere no matter what, I'd rather it go to a company that actually employs Canadians and has a Canadian division that basically runs itself.

Willectro

Banned
This is like a nutty conspiracy theory. What Canadian company would you prefer we give money to? GM? Ford? Your money is going elsewhere no matter what, I'd rather it go to a company that actually employs Canadians and has a Canadian division that basically runs itself.

Ok, lets make a few dudes in Japan rich. Problem solved.

Edit: I suggest you read up on GDP/GNP.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Assembly generally means put together. Parts are made overseas. It's cheaper.

Wake up. A lot of the profits are going back to Japan.

Actually a lot of parts are made in North America. And you can't just say domestic cars are made with more domestic parts either. For instance, American Ford Fusion has only 20% of its parts made in the US, while the Toyota Camry has 80%.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2011/06/how-much-of-your-car-is-made-in-america.html

Willectro

Banned
Actually a lot of parts are made in North America. And you can't just say domestic cars are made with more domestic parts either. For instance, American Ford Fusion has only 20% of its parts made in the US, while the Toyota Camry has 80%.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2011/06/how-much-of-your-car-is-made-in-america.html

Here again, GDP/GNP.

Also: Overseas manufacturing competition hits U.S. regions hard, leaving workers unemployed for years and local economies struggling. - MIT Study

I'm sure MIT doesn't know what they are talking about though.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Uhm, that wasn't what I was saying, in fact I agreed on that assertion in a previous post. I was saying that you can't necessarily say that buying a car from a NA car company really helps domestic manufacturing than buying a foreign car.

Willectro

Banned
Uhm, that wasn't what I was saying, in fact I agreed on that assertion in a previous post. I was saying that you can't necessarily say that buying a car from a NA car company really helps domestic manufacturing than buying a foreign car.

Not in every case, but overall I would say it is better for our economy to buy domestic. Go to a CAW meeting/rally and tell them that buying import is fine.

Azih

Not in every case, but overall I would say it is better for our economy to buy domestic. Go to a CAW meeting/rally and tell them that buying import is fine.

I don't see how profits going to a multinational conglomerate Headquartered in the US helps Canada any more than profits going to a multinational conglomerate Headquaratered in Japan or South Korea. I really don't. The only thing that matters for a non Canadian company is how many Canadians it hires and how much of the spinoff industries are retained in the Canadian economy.

Plus you don't want to back a shitty performing company just because of its geographical location in any case. That's just asking for a mediocre product on a bubble that will pop later with much harsher consequences.

Willectro

Banned
I don't see how profits going to a multinational conglomerate Headquartered in the US helps Canada any more than profits going to a multinational conglomerate Headquaratered in Japan or South Korea. I really don't. The only thing that matters for a non Canadian company is how many Canadians it hires and how much of the spinoff industries are retained in the Canadian economy.

Plus you don't want to back a shitty performing company just because of its geographical location in any case. That's just asking for a mediocre product on a bubble that will pop later with much harsher consequences.

Alright, I'm bailing on this subject. Each to their own. I'll take my "neoconservative" opinions elsewhere, lol.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
That's only because they've been unable to unionize any of the foreign automaker's workers here in Ontario.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Look what happened while you were away! All this serious talk!
Would've been more entertaining had they been cakebossed... :(

There is no simple answer or easy fix to get the middle class back in TO or in NA for ha matter. I'm worried since it does seem survival of the fittest right now and those who don't have jobs want them! However, it's gotten so hard the past fee years. None of this bootstrap bullshit.

I sent 10 resumes out a day a year ago, but current HR practices with keyword searches and stupid interview questions has narrowed the field of good candidates and made it so that people who play the game get hired.

A lot of companies even put postings out to 'see what is out there' and some go so far as using it to determine how low someone is willing to get paid to do a job. Seniority, experience, and loyalty mean shit when compared to numbers.

Stet

Banned
All I know is that the Alliston plant workers love their jobs.

And I don't even have my license.

Irish-dance.gif

Fuzzy

All I know is that the Alliston plant workers love their jobs.
So do the ones in Shelburne where they make a bunch of parts for the Civic (not sure about the other models that they build in Alliston). I've had to go there for maintenance work in the past and that was a drive I never enjoyed, 125km each way (1.5 hours in the morning, over 2 hours in the afternoon).

So do the ones in Shelburne where they make a bunch of parts for the Civic (not sure about the other models that they build in Alliston). I've had to go there for maintenance work in the past and that was a drive I never enjoyed, 125km each way (1.5 hours in the morning, over 2 hours in the afternoon).

If you have to drive to Shelburne stop at Superburger. They have the most amazing onion rings. All doughy and puffy and YUM.

Fuzzy

If you have to drive to Shelburne stop at Superburger. They have the most amazing onion rings. All doughy and puffy and YUM.
I looked it up and remember passing it every day. I never stopped though because at the end of my day and a 2+ hour commute ahead of me I just wanted to get out of there. I'll try it out if I'm ever in the area because I love onion rings like that.

I looked it up and remember passing it every day. I never stopped though because at the end of my day and a 2+ hour commute ahead of me I just wanted to get out of there. I'll try it out if I'm ever in the area because I love onion rings like that.

The burgers aren't memorable (sorry, burger discussion) but the onion rings really were that good. Just make sure it's not the skinny kid doing the frying...

Also, sit in the streetcar. Because it's an 80s TTC streetcar, and that's cool.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
We're back talking about a downtown relief line? Will it finally (10 years from now) happen this time?

No, we'll still be arguing over the Scarborough Subway and filling in the gigantic hole that should have been the Eglinton LRT. No time for a relief line. Looking forward to the $200 metro pass with no PRESTO service though!

Sober

Anyone here have data with Mobilicity? I can browse pretty much 99% of the Internet fine with it but it won't work with GAF. If I'm on wifi though, I can browse it perfectly fine.

Flash

Anyone here have data with Mobilicity? I can browse pretty much 99% of the Internet fine with it but it won't work with GAF. If I'm on wifi though, I can browse it perfectly fine.

yup, same here! Sometimes it'll work but very rarely... it used to work all the time. :(

jokkir

I used to have that problem when I was with Mobilicity (switched to Wind a month back). I'm not sure if I have the same problem now but not from anything I remember.

Prax

Wind also gives me connection problems in general sometimes, but I'm using it right now to browse GAF because Rogers is a poop and needs to authenticate my modem serials or something form Teksavvy. :mad:
At least.. at least my tethering works! ;___;

I really could have used those relief lines like.. 5 years ago. I still want them now anyhow. All this talk about building subways when there's no funding for it pisses me off. Just build the lines we can afford!

G17

Isn't there some kind of common courtesy in Japan where people don't talk on their mobile phones on public transit but can text?

I don't have a problem with people using their mobile phones, but the TTC should re-iterate how important it is to keep your voice/volume low. Far too many times either the person talking is way too loud or the volume on the cellphones are high enough that other people can hear the conversation.

I don't have a problem when two people physically sitting beside each are talking to each other a bit loudly though. I guess people talking on phones loudly irritate me in general.

Is Sonic Boom still going up there? I think its Sonic Boom.

Used to be a great record store. I havent been to that area in years.

Yeah Sonic Boom is in there already. It's still a great store but it sucks that they have less window space now to make the awesome displays.
Fuck that Dollarama that moved into the old space (and especially fuck the landlords for pushing Sonic Boom out)

thabiz

Yeah Sonic Boom is in there already. It's still a great store but it sucks that they have less window space now to make the awesome displays.
Fuck that Dollarama that moved into the old space (and especially fuck the landlords for pushing Sonic Boom out)

So they moved? Like i said, its been years. Where are they now?

thabiz

They are in the bottom of Honest Eds on the Bathurst side.

Oh, and they also opened a second location focusing on vintage vinyl in Kensington Market as well.

That sucks. I always liked their no bullshit layout in the store.

Will check that Kensington store. Thanks for the heads up.

I still cant believe Play De is still open.

Stet

Banned
There was a great little record store at Yonge and Wellesley that closed last year to make room for another bullshit nail salon. My nails look great though.

explodet

Was recently in Sonic Boom trying to get rid of the DVDs I didn't want anymore. They gave me a quarter for the DVDs they didn't really want... but whatever, I didn't really want them either. They wouldn't touch the old anime I had though, which is funny.

The space is huge, it's a shame I didn't have much time to look around.
Also there are tons of stacks of USB turntables on display - at least I know where to go if I ever found any vinyl I wanted to rip.

thabiz

Mayor Rob Ford, Councillor Doug Ford criticized again by integrity commissioner

What a couple of baboons! I never wish ill will on anyone, but these two deserve something. Jackass's. Love Doug's quote.

Contacted Thursday, Doug Ford said he had no comment. But he then added: “I’m just going to give the integrity commissioner 10 sheets that say, ‘I, Doug Ford, apologize to — a blank name — for anything that I’ve said in the past and anything I’m going to say in the future.’ I’ll just sign it, and she can just fill in the name.”

Top Bottom