• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Quick

Banned
The person says it's a commissioned piece, so they probably told him/her to make it look like that

5GY6s4B.jpg

cocopuffs

Banned
I live not far from there now and grew up there - know it fairly well. It absolutely is more dangerous than the average Toronto neighborhood and one of the poorest run down parts of the city.
Yeah I also live not too far from there and it really isn't that dangerous. I'll give you that it's run down though, has one of the saddest strip-malls I've ever seen.

Oh yeah and something for the beer lovers of TO GAF. I wasn't sure when this was going to be announced but it looks like the Toronto Star spilled the beans yesterday so:

Goose Island's Bourbon County Brand Stout is coming to Canada for the first time ever, on Friday Nov. 27th, as part of LCBO's Black Friday sale promotion. The LCBO Summerhill location will have a couple hundred bottles of last year's vintage of the Vanilla Rye variant:
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/131782/

I believe it's first come, first serve, limit 1 per person. $35 a bottle.

No idea if that's worth it to anyone here but I'll be trying my damnedest to get one.

jackie-chan-illuminati.0.0.jpg

Obviously another criesofthepast troll post.
Well someone's gotta do it. 🌚

But not sure why my post comes off as a troll? Jane & Finch IS one of the more dangerous areas of Toronto, and that is not my opinion. Didn't Black Creek get ranked least liveable area of Toronto by the city of Toronto's equity scores last year?

Of course it isn't saying much when comparing Toronto to *Insert Any American City Here* - but it still is what it is...one of the more dangerous, run down ugly, and poorest (30% social assistance rate in 2014) areas of Toronto.

Edit: And I have nothing but good memories growing up there.

What happened in Jane and Finch? How did the crime concentration become so high?
The typical story of rapid urbanization without the infrastructure, I guess. Quick Wiki (seems to be well sourced enough):

The 1960s development plans spearheaded by the Ontario Housing Corporation (OHC) coincided with North York Planning Department’s goal of creating a more urban-looking suburb. Known for its series of high-rise buildings and, concomitantly, its above average population density, Jane-Finch experienced astronomical growth from 1961 to 1971 when the population went from 1,300 to 33,000, thereby accounting for more than 40% of the growth in North York.[

Between 1981 and 2001, the total population of North York grew by 8.7%; higher economic families by 9%, but poor economic families by 80.5%. Poverty intensified in 5 main areas. The most prominent is the Jane-Finch area, where four poor neighbourhoods turned into regions of very high poverty, and a region that previously had low to moderate poverty became classified as having high levels of poverty.

Jane and Finch also contains the highest rates of malnutrition and hunger in Canada (higher than that of First Nations communities).

All of this makes the area look grim, when you consider that less than 10-20 minute drive away in any given direction, the wealth distribution is so dramatically different and continues to widen even more.

dluu13

The typical story of rapid urbanization without the infrastructure, I guess. Quick Wiki (seems to be well sourced enough):

All of this makes the area look grim, when you consider that less than 10-20 minute drive away in any given direction, the wealth distribution is so dramatically different and continues to widen even more.

Damn, that's hard to imagine. On street view, it doesn't look so bad. Maybe I'm not going deep enough.

Sober

The study was probably conducted by vindictive baby boomers who want to rake those shitty millennials over the coals and have them pull themselves up by their bootstraps and away from their phones.

I mean who else is gonna serve them their morning coffee? They get depressed if it's someone their age or older doing it but they feel good about themselves seeing younger people having to pay their dues but not actually get paid much at the same time.

Entropia

No One Remembers
What is a craft beer exactly? Do they crochet a doily for you to put your beer on?

There's no like... craft beer association or anything (I think?)

But it's generally how much volume they produce, and obviously if they're owned by a larger brewery.

i.e. Mill St. Organic is no longer considered 'Craft' because they've been bought by Labatts.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
My work is doing a private screening of SW in 3D on the Saturday afternoon of opening weekend. I'm going with my oldest brother. :)

Stage On

My work is doing a private screening of SW in 3D on the Saturday afternoon of opening weekend. I'm going with my oldest brother. :)

How did they manage that? I work at a movie theather and was told Disney has actually nixed any special screenings for Star Wars as well as using any passes for it for the first few weeks.

Fuzzy

How did they manage that? I work at a movie theather and was told Disney has actually nixed any special screenings for Star Wars as well as using any passes for it for the first few weeks.
I have no idea but they regularly do these types of things for animated features on Saturday mornings so I usually skip them because I don't want to be in a theatre with a bunch of kids.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hot Star chicken is decent, but really not worth the hype.

The chicken is good, the battery is good, but just not worth lining up for half an hour and paying 10 dollars for

Fuzzy

Hot Star chicken is decent, but really not worth the hype.

The chicken is good, the battery is good, but just not worth lining up for half an hour and paying 10 dollars for
No fast food is worth lining up for more than a few minutes. If there was no wait would you still have minded the $10?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Slightly related rant; I've had McDonalds like, three times this year and every time it's at least a 7-8 minute wait. So it's barely 'fast', the quality is terrible and the price isn't even cheap anymore.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
No fast food is worth lining up for more than a few minutes. If there was no wait would you still have minded the $10?

It's good, probably worth 10 dollars. Fast food meals are approaching 10 dollars nowadays anyways. It's a bit oily for my taste, and I hear the spicy version is better, but I got regular.

The breading and seasoning tastes like, that deep fried dim sum octopus tentacles.

dluu13

Slightly related rant; I've had McDonalds like, three times this year and every time it's at least a 7-8 minute wait. So it's barely 'fast', the quality is terrible and the price isn't even cheap anymore.

I don't really get the hate for McDonald's. I still like them despite what everybody says, although I just stick to junior chickens and fries.

Mr. F

Banned
The Pie Commission is dangerously close to work, I just learned. Making up for lost time by buying a shitload of pie.

zroid

Banned
The worst ones are the Wal-Mart McDonald's. Almost any time I'm there the line is massive, usually extending into the store itself.

I just wanted to get my free coffee but the wait was gonna be at least 10 minutes lol.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't really get the hate for McDonald's. I still like them despite what everybody says, although I just stick to junior chickens and fries.

Juniors, coffee and muffins for me. Although rarely anymore as I said.

Almost any fast food place is better now is the issue. McDonald's was always shit, but it was dirt cheap and fast. I lived off the dollar menu in the States.

Wendy's 'cheap menu' blows away McDonald's in Canada and it's just as cheap for burgers, better for frosties (vs ice cream / shakes) and fries. The food is actually okay as well.

Then there's the fact that I never have my orders lost at other places so often as I have had McDonald's over the years. Most of them are run terribly, but I can't exactly fault the workers not enjoying their job.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

I remember when it was $3.99 for a Big Mac meal.

Is there going to be a meetup in January? I want to attend one before I am most likely gone for good (cue applause) at the end of that month.

Also, speaking of McDonalds I have like 968388383538453 coupons I can give to you guys - mostly for free big macs, those medium coffee sticker cards (full with 7 stickers), and small fries.

Then there's the fact that I never have my orders lost at other places so often as I have had McDonald's over the years. Most of them are run terribly, but I can't exactly fault the workers not enjoying their job.
Franchising. I don't think there are any corporate owned McDonalds in Toronto left, maybe even country wide. Franchising ruined them. Say what you want but McDonalds in the 90's was almost all corporate owned in the GTA and was the shit. Remember the pizza? Maybe it was because I was young but I remember it being incredible. The personal sized ones in the brown cardboard boxes and then every Tuesday they would have full pan sized large pizzas ALL YOU CAN EAT for around $10 (for the family not per head) that they would bring to your table.

Not to mention the birthday party buses. I was the coolest kid in school for having my birthday on the party bus.

Top Bottom