• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

yyzjohn

Banned
Lol. Seriously? Property is one of the oldest ways to make an income. People need a place to live, and they are providing that service. Not everyone can afford 300,000 or get a mortgage, but they can afford 1300 a month. Who gonna provide housing for these people? The government? Lol.

Yeah weird rant. Someone has to own those properties, and people have been renting forever. Don't hate on someone who has the acumen to make good investments and live off those.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Lol. Seriously? Property is one of the oldest ways to make an income. People need a place to live, and they are providing that service. Not everyone can afford 300,000 or get a mortgage, but they can afford 1300 a month. Who gonna provide housing for these people? The government? Lol.

From an individual persons perspective - I vehemently disagree with someone owning multiple rental properties. Actual building management and development corporations? Sure! But an individual? No.

And you're looking it from a renter's perspective. From a home buyer's perspective she's taking the stock away simply so she can rent it out and increase her revenue, rather than a purchaser who would actually live in that home. Less stock available means the price goes up, and because she now has this 'passive income' she can more easily afford more properties. Do you see where this is going??

Yeah weird rant. Someone has to own those properties, and people have been renting forever. Don't hate on someone who has the acumen to make good investments and live off those.

How is it a weird rant that this is a clear example of someone who is part of the home purchasing problem?

Why are you guys looking at this from a renter's point of view???

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
From an individual persons perspective - I vehemently disagree with someone owning multiple rental properties. Actual building management and development corporations? Sure! But an individual? No.

And you're looking it from a renter's perspective. From a home buyer's perspective she's taking the stock away simply so she can rent it out and increase her revenue, rather than a purchaser who would actually live in that home. Less stock available means the price goes up, and because she now has this 'passive income' she can more easily afford more properties. Do you see where this is going??

How is it a weird rant that this is a clear example of someone who is part of the home purchasing problem?

It just reeks of jealousy. There's no difference between an individual and a management company doing it. Hell, an old foreman of mine had a similar setup he built up once he started working construction at 18 and eventually set up a "management business" for tax purposes. Individuals do have to pay taxes on income from non-primary residences, businesses pay less which is why he set it up.

thabiz

When did owning a home become a right? It's a privilege and she has the money and means to own multiple. Are you suggesting we start telling people what to do with her money?

Sorry, but you come across as extremely jealous.

yyzjohn

Banned

From the article:
Larbi bought five of her properties for less than $300,000.

Sounds like to me they made great investments, bought the properties at affordable values, how is that contributing to the home purchasing problem? If you can afford to make an investment you do, it's smart business.

Entropia

No One Remembers
You're all telling me, straight faced, that if you found a home in your budget that you absolutely adored and could see yourself living in for many years to come that you wouldn't be the least bit perturbed that it sold to someone who either paid cash or well over asking turned that home into a rental?

You all disagree with me, and that's fine - but I don't view property as some sort of income generation tool as an individual. I view it as a place to live. When it comes time for me to finally purchase a home, I am going to purchase it because I want to live in it for as long as I can... not because "well I can start in this one, then sell it and move up." I know that's not the mindset of pretty much everyone, but that's how I view it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It's already gone you weaklings. Now it'll be nice and humid for y'all.

Edit: tip if you anyone is in Chinatown and craving katsu or Japanese curry. Eative Cafe in Kensington does a wonderful katsu curry. Damn...! Crispy, juicy, tasty katsu. The curry was nice and thick with that mild curry flavour the Japanese love.

gabbo

Edit: tip if you anyone is in Chinatown and craving katsu or Japanese curry. Eative Cafe in Kensington does a wonderful katsu curry. Damn...! Crispy, juicy, tasty katsu. The curry was nice and thick with that mild curry flavour the Japanese love.

I'm glad I'm not anywhere near Kensington, because you sold me on that

ahdurian

is the actual curry better than Kaiju?

SKINNER!

Banned
Hey Toronto gaf. Got a quick question for ya. What's the average holiday entitlement that a job in Toronto can give you? I got a friend who says that he gets 22 days excluding public holidays (he works as a software developer) which is identical to holiday entitlement in the UK. however, i keep reading online that Canada and USA are similar in holiday entitlement in that they dish out only around 14 days. Is my friend exaggerating and/or lucky to get 22 days or is that common with IT/development jobs in Toronto?

yyzjohn

Banned
Hey Toronto gaf. Got a quick question for ya. What's the average holiday entitlement that a job in Toronto can give you? I got a friend who says that he gets 22 days excluding public holidays (he works as a software developer) which is identical to holiday entitlement in the UK. however, i keep reading online that Canada and USA are similar in holiday entitlement in that they dish out only around 14 days. Is my friend exaggerating and/or lucky to get 22 days or is that common with IT/development jobs in Toronto?

Most jobs that I'm aware of start off at 2 weeks (10 days) holiday. Back when I started I was lucky the company I joined started at 3 weeks (15 days), then you go up after a certain number of years with the company.

Entropia

No One Remembers

22 days is 4 weeks - that's a fair amount.

If you're also in software development, most places will start you out with 15 days (3 weeks)

jl4855

depends on how lucky you are. my last job you hit 3 weeks after 5 years. Current job starts at 4 weeks (i'm not IT but there are people here who are) so it is not uncommon.

Normally, I tell you both to take off your shirts and fight me, but I'm too satisfied with this beer.

Goddamn, Cripplegate. This Duchesse de Bourgogne sour beer is fantastic. Like the Rodenbach but smaller, so I'm lucky the LCBO near my work has a shit ton of these.

Yup, it's great. It's supposed to be a permanent listing, too. Gonna be nice to have around while waiting for more Rodenbach.

thabiz

It would be stupid not to if you want booze for the long weekend just in case. It's not like it'll go bad.

I guess spirits would be the only thing you would need to stock up on. You could support the fine craft distillers of Ontario, but it can be a bit of a hassle, as most are outside Toronto. But hey, you're probably going away for the weekend anyway, so why not.

Wine stores and the grocery got you covered there.

There's tons of local craft brewery's that deserve your business and their offerings are much more diverse and frankly, fresher than anything you'll find at the LC. Plus I can still hit the beer store if I want a 24 of corona or what have you.

LCBO won't be missed at all.

My sister spent nearly 200 dollars on fitness clothing from the UK and DHL was charging her like 80 extra to get it. Shes been buying stuff online for years and never experienced something like this before.

She just had customer service explain that she has to pay this duty and taxes fee. She decided to tell them to eat dirt and return the stuff but is really bummed now. What the fuck?

Fuzzy

My sister spent nearly 200 dollars on fitness clothing from the UK and DHL was charging her like 80 extra to get it. Shes been buying stuff online for years and never experienced something like this before.

She just had customer service explain that she has to pay this duty and taxes fee. She decided to tell them to eat dirt and return the stuff but is really bummed now. What the fuck?
There are lots of things that we're required to pay duties and taxes on, what don't you get?

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/dtytx-drttx-eng.html
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html - Estimator so you'll have an idea how much you'll have to pay if they catch it.

Currier companies usually tack on a little extra for themselves as a fee.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I've been dinged on duty before, but the worse was UPS and their brokerage fee. Fuck UPS for international shipping and they're not great for domestic either.

I looked it up and apparently you don't get the absurd duty and.l brokerage fees if Canada Post delivers it. Might be wrong.

Like I said, her and I buy stuff internationally all the time and never encountered these absurd prices before.

Fuzzy

I looked it up and apparently you don't get the absurd duty and.l brokerage fees if Canada Post delivers it. Might be wrong.

Like I said, her and I buy stuff internationally all the time and never encountered these absurd prices before.
Brokerage fees no, duties are a luck of the draw.

gabbo

For what its worth, i have never had a good experience DHL. Regardless of where something is shipped from or what it was, never have they arrived in the stated shipping window.

Then again Amazon and Canada Post just gave me the run around over a cat carrier and me not being home when the delivery guy came buy, so i'm jaded right now.

Top Bottom