• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToS vs. Sudeki...FIGHT!

Tellaerin

I really enjoy the Tales games, and ToS was one of the games I specifically bought a Gamecube to play. Sudeki sounds like a game I'd have fun playing, too, despite the nasty art malfunction that happened somewhere between the concept art and those malformed models. I intend to pick up both. :)

I already have the preorder on ToS, Sudeki is an utterly shameless attempt at fooling people into believe it's Japanese. I hate that EuroAnime shit, it frightens small children. It might turn out to be good, but it's already left a bad impression.

Tellaerin

If Climax was really interested in fooling people into thinking the game was Japanese, they'd've taken pains to keep the character models faithful to the concept art, and the game would've looked much better for it. :p

Tellaerin said:
If Climax was really interested in fooling people into thinking the game was Japanese, they'd've taken pains to keep the character models faithful to the concept art, and the game would've looked much better for it. :p

umm. so its better to have shitty looking fugly contrived models than have decent looking contrived models? Either way, they lose. They bring a bad name to the word homage.

Tellaerin

TheGreenGiant said:
umm. so its better to have shitty looking fugly contrived models than have decent looking contrived models? Either way, they lose. They bring a bad name to the word homage.

You're saying you think the finished models look better than the 2D concept art? o_O

And I think you're exaggerating, but that's nothing new around here. Every response has to be overblown to the point of absurdity, or it wouldn't be GAF. Whether it's art, gameplay, or anything else you care to name, something is either an awe-inspiring masterpiece or an absolutely rank, putrid coil of crap. There's never any middle ground. :p

Tellaerin said:
You're saying you think the finished models look better than the 2D concept art? o_O

And I think you're exaggerating, but that's nothing new around here. Every response has to be overblown to the point of absurdity, or it wouldn't be GAF. Whether it's art, gameplay, or anything else you care to name, something is either an awe-inspiring masterpiece or an absolutely rank, putrid coil of crap. There's never any middle ground. :p

no middle ground? Critiquing the art/model in Sudeki as rubbish is middle ground. The extreme is when GAFer threaten to Firebomb places (see SegaSammy thread).

nitewulf

damn, sudeki is so ugly. its a full frontal assault on my aesthetic sensibilities. but then again, the battle system videos looked pretty fun. anyway, dont have a cube so no ToS, and will hold until sudeki is like 20 bucks and if it gets good reviews only then ill proceed to buy it.

till then the fanboy battles will provide me with ample entertainment. greengiant has already begun his preliminary assault. how will it all pan out?? i must know!!!!

nitewulf said:
damn, sudeki is so ugly. its a full frontal assault on my aesthetic sensibilities. but then again, the battle system videos looked pretty fun. anyway, dont have a cube so no ToS, and will hold until sudeki is like 20 bucks and if it gets good reviews only then ill proceed to buy it.

till then the fanboy battles will provide me with ample entertainment. greengiant has already begun his preliminary assault. how will it all pan out?? i must know!!!!

remember this catchphrase then;

Sudeki will be to MS's ARPG lineup what Kabuto Kajin was to their fighting lineup.

Prine

Banned
Can the mods do something about GreenGiant?

He keeps trolling Xbox threads. You dont like the art, fine, no need to keep stating the same thing over and over again.

Chespace said that M$ is not sending them a reviewable copy in time to make XBN's next issue. That's not good news folks............

I'm leaning towards Sudeki, but I will definately wait for the reviews.

Prine said:
Can the mods do something about GreenGiant?

He keeps trolling Xbox threads. You dont like the art, fine, no need to keep stating the same thing over and over again.

Um. This is a vs thread not a Xbox thread. If you go to the Halo scan threads. I didn't even post there so I do respect some of its games. I also didn't even hammer Blinx even though I should and YES i've played it. Sudeki is a whole different matter. Western game masqurading as a hidous Japanese anime arpg. Just wrong.

and just while we're at this. Sudeki is starting a very nasty trend

Fate of Ages for the XBOX

Here's a list of features from the official site:

Breath-taking graphics and effects that provide a new experience in Xbox gaming.
Unique anime-styled characters and worlds.
A fresh battle system that fuses the best elements of real-time and turn-based combat.

Over 40 different jobs for your characters leading to unparalleled customization.
Six vastly different time periods that hold friends and foes beyond imagining.

Tellaerin

It's only a 'nasty trend' if you're one of those oddball purists who believes 'Asian art styles are for Asians' and Western artists shouldn't be allowed to work in those styles, and you hate ARPG's. There's nothing really wrong with either of the bullet points you bolded, except that they're not to your personal taste.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Supposedly the next issue of OXM will include a Sudeki playable demo, so it won't be long before you people can really start the flaming...

jarrod

Banned
BobbyRobby said:
ToS

Are they the same guys that developed Alundra?
Nope, that's Matrix Software (who split off from Climax Entertianment). Climax Entertianment is a Japanese developer who co-developed Shining in the Drakness and Shining Force and developed LandStalker, Lady Stalker, Dark Savior, Time Stalkers and the Runabout series. Staff from Climax have gone off to form a ton of other companies including Climax Graphics (now Crazy Games), Max Entertianment, Matrix Software and Camelot Software Planning.

Climax Studios (who made Sudeki and the Moto GP games) is a UK developer who I don't know much about.

belgurdo

Banned
TheGreenGiant said:
Um. This is a vs thread not a Xbox thread. If you go to the Halo scan threads. I didn't even post there so I do respect some of its games. I also didn't even hammer Blinx even though I should and YES i've played it. Sudeki is a whole different matter. Western game masqurading as a hidous Japanese anime arpg. Just wrong.

and just while we're at this. Sudeki is starting a very nasty trend

Fate of Ages for the XBOX

Here's a list of features from the official site:

Breath-taking graphics and effects that provide a new experience in Xbox gaming.
Unique anime-styled characters and worlds.
A fresh battle system that fuses the best elements of real-time and turn-based combat.

Over 40 different jobs for your characters leading to unparalleled customization.
Six vastly different time periods that hold friends and foes beyond imagining.

Only Japanese people are allowed to make "anime" style art now?

if that gamerush "trade in one game, get a brand new one for $29" deal is still going on, i might make the plunge on Symphonia, otherwise i'll probably just rent it.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Ninja Scooter said:
if that gamerush "trade in one game, get a brand new one for $29" deal is still going on, i might make the plunge on Symphonia, otherwise i'll probably just rent it.

That would be my only weakness to trying either. I can't believe that deal is still going. I asked a blockbuster dude about it and he said there was no immediate end in site. If you actually play and finish your new games you could keep that value going for a long, long while.

belgurdo said:
Only Japanese people are allowed to make "anime" style art now?

No, he highlighted that because it's very strange to actually list that as a "feature". Aren't "Features" in games suppose to be something very unique to it? Like a new control scheme, new gameplay style ect.

Musashi Wins! said:
That would be my only weakness to trying either. I can't believe that deal is still going. I asked a blockbuster dude about it and he said there was no immediate end in site. If you actually play and finish your new games you could keep that value going for a long, long while.

hell, you don't even have to use your own new games, you could just buy one of the cheapie PSone games from them for $2.99, then turnaround and sell it back to get a brand new game for $29.

Tellaerin

SolidSnakex said:
No, he highlighted that because it's very strange to actually list that as a "feature". Aren't "Features" in games suppose to be something very unique to it? Like a new control scheme, new gameplay style ect.

He highlighted it as evidence of the 'very nasty trend' that Sudeki's (supposedly) starting. The impression I get from his earlier posts is that he's objecting to westerners trying to work in a 'non-western' art style, not the fact that the publisher's using 'anime-style' as a bullet point in their advertising.

Tellaerin said:
He highlighted it as evidence of the 'very nasty trend' that Sudeki's (supposedly) starting. The impression I get from his earlier posts is that he's objecting to westerners trying to work in a 'non-western' art style, not the fact that the publisher's using 'anime-style' as a bullet point in their advertising.

Yah I noticed that. I think his problem might be more that the actual models don't look anything like the art which basically makes the art pointless. You're basing it on actual anime art, but the characters come out looking nothing like it.

ferricide

whether or not westerners "should" work in an anime art style, they sure don't seem to be capable of doing it convincingly yet. those screenshots of fate of ages fucking scared me.

people are overreacting to the ugliness of sudeki; i'd just call it aesthetically mediocre and move on with my life. i'm still curious to try it, but i am not terribly excited about it.

we're going to be seeing more and more anime-influenced art in the west. kids now are growing up with such an access to the artwork it's just going to be influencing them more and more as they grow up and move out into the world to do their own stuff. so far, every western artist who's tried just seems to totally miss the point of what makes anime art appealing (to me, anyway.) it's not just a style, it's a different way of looking at aesthetics and approaching your subject matter.

TheGreenGiant said:
If you go to the Halo scan threads. I didn't even post there so I do respect some of its games.

You show your respect for a game by not posting it about it? Damn, that's hardcore trollery.

Redbeard

Banned
They both seem pretty linear and trite. Is there anything to either of these games besides banging through a mediocre story?

Well, ToS is beautiful and has one of the most fun battle systems ever. And only the plot could be called mediocre...the characters are great.

nitewulf

fate of ages looks more japanese than sudeki, which leads me to believe by the third and subsequent "iterations" western devs should approach a good approximation of anime art.
;)

My purchase of Symphonia was very much up in the air until I got some good one-on-one time with it on the showfloor. The voice acting, nearly unbearable in some of the first movies online, was actually quite convincing and charming. Even among the lights and pounding base of the E3, Lloyd came off as a courageous yet foolhardy youth, Colette charmed with stary-eyed innocence, and Genis annoyed me like the little brat he is. While I can tell I'm going to like some characters better than others, I'm definitely in the mood for a solid RPG with a smooth battle system.

Top Bottom