• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toshiro Tsuchida (Front Mission creator, FFXIII battle director) leaves Square Enix

duckroll

Hiroaki Kusano (a designer on the Front Mission series before he left Square Enix) has tweeted that his ex-boss, Toshiro Tsuchida, the creator of Front Mission, has left Square Enix. This would make it another high profile resignation (or termination?) of a major oldschool Squaresoft staff. Tsuchida's last major project was battle director on FFXIII.

Source: http://twitter.com/DKusano/status/42224449403109376

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder who took over the battle director position for FFXIII-2.

Out of curiosity, is there a list of the major staffers who have left?

duckroll

Phoenix Fang said:
Why are all these people suddenly leaving Square?

Suddenly? It's been going on for about 20 years now. It's a big company with a lot of talented staff from the 80s and 90s, and they've been leaving since the 90s.

I absolutely hated the battle system for FFXIII so I am not too sad to hear that TBH. Maybe now they can get some new guy who can bring something fresh to the series' battle system.

e- vvv Well that sucks. There go my hopes of a completely new battle system for FFXIII-2.

duckroll

Nirolak said:
I wonder who took over the battle director position on FFXIII-2.

Out of curiosity, is there a list of the major staffers who have left?

Probably Yuji Abe. He basically designed all the actual battle system mechanics in FFXIII anyway, even though he was co-battle director. He also took on all the interviews about the gameplay. Tsuchida's role as battle director in FFXIII translated to two main points: the base concept of the battles (no random encounters, ATB stock instead of MP), and the design of the Pulse chapter in terms of layout and planning of a slightly more open world.

perfectnight said:
I absolutely hated the battle system for FFXIII so I am not too sad to hear that TBH. Maybe now they can get some new guy who can bring something fresh to the series' battle system.

The guy who made most of the things you probably hate about the battle system is still at Square Enix. A more representative work of Tsuchida would be Front Mission as well as the battle system in FFX.

iamcenok

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

There goes my hopes and dreams that a proper Front Mission may come out...
It's a sad day... :(

duckroll

Well, while I don't think the prospects of Front Mission's future are good (the sales suck in both Japan and US now), let us not forget that miracles do happen. After Matsuno did do well with FFT and Vagrant Story, S-E put him in charge of FFXII and even bought Quest and all the Ogre Battle rights. Everyone expected that this meant he could continue working on the series while at Square Enix. This never happened. Square Enix did nothing with the rights at all, and Matsuno eventually had to leave S-E because he couldn't finish FFXII. Yet, years later, even as a freelancer, he reunited with his team and remade Tactics Ogre, with S-E publishing it.

Never say never.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
Well, while I don't think the prospects of Front Mission's future are good (the sales suck in both Japan and US now), let us not forget that miracles do happen. After Matsuno did do well with FFT and Vagrant Story, S-E put him in charge of FFXII and even bought Quest and all the Ogre Battle rights. Everyone expected that this meant he could continue working on the series while at Square Enix. This never happened. Square Enix did nothing with the rights at all, and Matsuno eventually had to leave S-E because he couldn't finish FFXII. Yet, years later, even as a freelancer, he reunited with his team and remade Tactics Ogre, with S-E publishing it.

Never say never.
And hey, Double Helix is working on multiple HD games!

Chuckie

perfectnight said:

e- vvv Well that sucks. There go my hopes of a completely new battle system for FFXIII-2.

Really? The battle system is the only thing I liked about that piece of shit game.

seat

Can't say I'm all that disappointed by this news.

Tence said:
Really? The battle system is the only thing I liked about that piece of shit game.
It only seemed good because of all the shit that surrounded it. It was still pretty shitty in it's own right, just less shitty than everything else.

Bring back the guy who was the battle director for FFXII, please.

duckroll

seat said:
It only seemed good because of all the shit that surrounded it. It was still pretty shitty in it's own right, just less shitty than everything else.

Bring back the guy who was the battle director for FFXII, please.

Shitty shit shit! You sure like the word shit! :lol

No one knows what Itou has been doing, he hasn't worked on anything in S-E since FF4 DS. It entirely possible that he left the company too, but had no friends who tweeted about it.

MechaX

Zwei said:
So, Front Mission is now officially dead, eh? That sucks.

Well, it could be worse. Front Mission 5 at least provided some closure to pretty much every single plot-thread in the series so there are no lingering cliffhangers or anything of the sort. That way, at least the Front Mission series had a pretty damn good send-off (Front Mission Evolved does not fucking count). Plus, as Duckroll mentioned, pulling a Matsuno one day down the line isn't entirely an impossibility.

duckroll said:
Tsuchida's role as battle director in FFXIII translated to two main points: the base concept of the battles (no random encounters, ATB stock instead of MP), and the design of the Pulse chapter in terms of layout and planning of a slightly more open world.

A more representative work of Tsuchida would be Front Mission as well as the battle system in FFX.

He directed FFX's battle system? Aww. :(

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Battle system in XIII was the best thing about that game, loss for SE.

Oh well, Im sure hell go on and make good games somewhere else.

Also, I dont mind when things like this happen because it gives a chance to the younger generation to step up.

MechaX

Raging Spaniard said:
Also, I dont mind when things like this happen because it gives a chance to the younger generation to step up.

If the "younger generation" includes more people along the likes of Toriyama, then Square-Enix is doomed.

legacyzero

Banned
Wouldn't be cool if they all jumped ship to Mistwalker? I'm sorry, but as a long time Final Fantasy fan, XIII was the final straw for me as far as Square-Enix goes. My enjoyment of their games stopped at X and XII. The only thing that they have left as far as I'm concerned is Nomura and Versus. Why are all these Square guys leaving, anyway?

OH, and SAKAGUCHI-SAN. Where's my Lost Odyssey sequel?

Fimbulvetr said:
He directed FFX's battle system? Aww. :(

Exactly my thoughts. FFX to me was the best as far as battle systems are concerned. So well thought out.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
MechaX said:
If the "younger generation" includes more people along the likes of Toriyama, then Square-Enix is doomed.

Keep up the cynicism, it's good for you.

Probably just a matter of time until Nomura himself bails out. These guys are being hit up with more and more responsibility and almost none of the legends seem to be all that interested in taking it on, especially given the economic climate of the industry.

MechaX

Raging Spaniard said:
Keep up the cynicism, it's good for you.

It would only be mere cynicism if it was just founded on FFXIII.

... Not so much after Front Mission Evolved and 3rd Birthday.

Kyoufu

Dark FaZe said:
Probably just a matter of time until Nomura himself bails out. These guys are being hit up with more and more responsibility and almost none of the legends seem to be all that interested in taking it on, especially given the economic climate of the industry.

Pretty sure Nomura will end up as CEO eventually. The guy gets his own corner at S-E events.

Kyoufu said:
Pretty sure Nomura will end up as CEO eventually. The guy gets his own corner at S-E events.

Oh no doubt--the man has the world available to him at Square if he's willing to take on that sort of responsibility.

But from what I've seen a lot of japanese developers/directors are immensely prideful and concerned with being able to stay motivated and stay within roles that they are comfortable in. There is a near limitless amount of examples of incredible japanese figures within the industry preferring to flat out retire rather than conform to bull-shit requirements and responsibilities.

So if he wants that pressure, great, but if not...

I really love the battle system in FFXIII. I'm trying to Platinum that bitch at the moment and having a blast hitting up all the post-game missions on Gran Pulse.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
The person who should really leave is Yoichi Wada. I don't know much about Square's internal structure or politics, but why hasn't he been under pressure to resign?

robor

The best news since sliced bread. Now go to PlatinumGames and make the best damn RPG you possibly can!

Raging Spaniard

MechaX said:

Yes you dont like one new younger person, thusly everybody who is younger must be terrible at their job and THUSLY the industry has no hope. Might as well just fire everybody whos under 35 and rely on everybody from the 80's until they die, then find a new hobby.

Korigama

MechaX said:

Out of curiosity, what was wrong with The 3rd Birthday? I'm already aware of Front Mission Evolved being a third-rate Armored Core knockoff, but I'm not aware of the reception for the latter.

Well at least battles were handled in a team, though I dont know what to think about the director leaving, in that, I was under the impression that the battle system was changing for FFXIII-2 anyway.

farnham

Banned
well this is a huge loss

FFXIIIs only reason of existence to me was the great combat system everything else was a huge mess

jaxword

Since people seem to dislike this generation of S-E's big name workers, this would imply a new generation, i.e. Nomura's disciples, will be stepping up.

For example, I think Gen Kobayashi did a good job with the designs for Saga 2 : Goddess of Destiny​. Which, by the way, is a really good and fun game if you like old-school rpgs.

Go_Ly_Dow

Hopefully he has already left his mark on XIII-2's battle system.

Will miss his works, especially on FFX and XIII's systems.

Raging Spaniard said:
Yes you dont like one new younger person, thusly everybody who is younger must be terrible at their job and THUSLY the industry has no hope. Might as well just fire everybody whos under 35 and rely on everybody from the 80's until they die, then find a new hobby.

Square's Final Fantasy team has replaced their talent extremely poorly, any loss of a talented member is a major loss.

MechaX

Raging Spaniard said:

Now you're just completely blowing out of proportion the entire "cynicism" angle and construing a
well-deserved
knock of one of SE's newer pieces of talent into some massive conspiracy against every one young in favor of every one old (hell, apparently I was aiming at the entire industry in that jab, and not just... well... SE).

Uh... Good luck with that dude.

Korigama said:
Out of curiosity, what was wrong with The 3rd Birthday? I'm already aware of Front Mission Evolved being a third-rate Armored Core knockoff, but I'm not aware of the reception for the latter.

Gameplay wise?

... Absolutely... nothing! It's still a good TPS at heart and it has some interesting set-pieces to boot.

Now the story (which is Toriyama's area, I remind)... well... You might want to look up the details or just wait until you play it. Kind gets mind-meltingly asinine.

He was also the writer for Front Mission Evolved as well. Yeah, the gameplay isn't really that good either but let's just say that there's a good reason why all of the Gundam tropes have not really pervaded the Front Mission series until Evolved.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
duckroll said:
Shitty shit shit! You sure like the word shit! :lol

No one knows what Itou has been doing, he hasn't worked on anything in S-E since FF4 DS. It entirely possible that he left the company too, but had no friends who tweeted about it.
Seems like people that like shit are SE's target demographic these days.

Top Bottom