• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left Alive Director Open to Making Traditional Front Mission Game, or Hybrid with Tactics and Action

Good interview. Taking 'Front Mission' into new territory is what gave us one of the best run 'n gun games on the Super Famicom: Front Mission Gun Hazard. I'd love it if they gave us a traditional tactical RPG or perhaps a battle system akin to SEGA's Valkyria Chronicles. Any Front Mission fans still around?

Excerpt below. Full interview was an enjoyable read:

Producer Shinji Hashimoto and Director Toshifumi Nabeshima talked about it during a chat with DualShockers at Gamescom 2018. First of all, Hashimoto-san explained the change in direction [in Left Alive, compared to Front Mission], but confirmed that it will also prove familiar to Front Mission fans:

“We thought it was a way to show the newness of the franchise, and it would help to have a different name to show that it’s a new direction. It’s still very much Front Mission. We know that some know and love Front Mission. All the lore is still very much the Front Mission universe. The names, the Wanzers, the locations, the historical events in the series are all there. People who know Front Mission will get straight away that this is a Front Mission game.​
The name Front Mission is very closely tied to the idea of the traditional simulation strategy style of gameplay. To give that impression of a different genre of game, we changed the name."​

Since Square Enix is doing quite well with old-school JRPGs like Octopath Traveler, I asked Hashimoto-san if they would consider making a full-fledged Front Mission tactical JRPG game if Left Alive goes well. He certainly did not close the door to the possibility.

“If the director of the project wants to take it in that direction, I’d support him on that.” […] “If Nabeshima-san wants to try different things like that, it would be very good to give it a try.”​

Dualshockers.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’d love another traditional Front Mission tactics-type game. I’d actually prefer it if they made it isometric like the original SNES game.

Last edited:
turn base strategy is making a comeback. Just look at all those tbs games coming to pc. You don't need to drop a lot of cash to develop it. Something like battletech in terms of budget would be fine.

Top Bottom