• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: WARHAMMER confirmed (as use of 2012 license announcement)

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
*sees the topic's title*
*reads "Warhammer"*
*gets uberhyped*
*realizes that there's no "40K" in said title*

:(((((

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis!!!!!

Give me Total War: 40k, or give me death. The Emperor demands it.

Warhammer 40k is almost a small scale tactical game, though you can throw hundreds of models on a table. There are Warhammer 40k spinoffs that would work in a Total War context, but it would be more Total War than Warhammer 40k.

I'm very excited for this, btw.

There's nothing small and tactical, about fighting off a Tyranid hive fleet invasion, or a massive Waaaagh.

SmugSnake

Neo Member
Like a week ago I decided to see what's going on with Warhammer (I played when I was like 12-15) and it turns out that they've done something fucking crazy, and now the world is basically ending.

There are no Wood Elves/High Elves/Dark Elves any more. They're all united under Malekith the Eternity King (!!!), and Ulthuan sank and Naggaroth has been invaded by Chaos.

The Lizardmen have all fled to another planet (!!!).

Like I mean literally crazy shit.

Wait wut. I haven't played the boardgame since High School. The hell is going on?

And Malekith is king? Dark Elves ftw.

F!ReW!Re

Awesome news.

Now all we need is the following announcements and I''ll be eternally happy:

- Total War: WH40K
- Total War: LotR (I miss you: BATTLE FOR MIDDLE EARTH I & II)
- Total War: Game of Thrones

Make it so!

Wait wut. I haven't played the boardgame since High School. The hell is going on?

And Malekith is king? Dark Elves ftw.

The End Times books are great. I'm reading book 3 (Khaine) right now.
Although I'm really kinda bummed out that
Orion and Ariel
died...

Awesome news.

Make it so!

Eh, just play the CKII Game of Thrones mod for that last one. Much more on-point than a Total War game would be, what with the incest and the fratricide and whatnot.

F!ReW!Re

Eh, just play the CKII Game of Thrones mod for that last one. Much more on-point than a Total War game would be, what with the incest and the fratricide and whatnot.

I know about the CKII mod, but I really have problems getting into CKII.
I just hope a total war version would be made with a fleshed out family/espionage/etc system so that a Total War: Game of Thrones game would make sense.

Raphael

Wow, one of the 2 dream games for me - fantasy setting total war game. Too bad the other one will not happen as PI is not big enough to score a soiaf licence to do a mix of eu4 and ck2 in the westeros world.

Chariot

Awesome news.

Make it so!
Nah, wouldn't feel GoT. The Total War Games are not complex enough on the diplomacy aspect for that to work. Crusader Kings II is where it's at with GoT. But I surely would love the war focused other choices.

Interesting. I have to wonder how there engine will handle stuff like the skaven, Lizardmen, siege weapons, magic, or flying units? Or how about heroic or monstrous characters considering just big a part of the series they are?

jblank83

There's nothing small and tactical, about fighting off a Tyranid hive fleet invasion, or a massive Waaaagh.

Except the number of models per side, how important terrain and individual model line of sight is, moving individual units rather than entire blocks of units, how units are moved more like skirmishers each moving around the board on their own rather than as a block (kept at least 2" to another model in the unit), and so on.

Fantasy works much better with the Total War mechanics. They're practically made for each other, with unit blocks, wheeling, flanking, and so on.

How would 40k even work with Total War mechanics? 100 Space Marines are going to line up in a rectangular block and walk at 1000 orcs lined up in a rectangle marching straight at the Space Marines? I mean, I get the desire but Total War fits perfectly with WHFB, not WH40k.

Epic 40k makes sense. It takes a very high level abstract view of the modern battlefield, observing entire formations of tanks, battalion movements, and so on. At that point a "modern" military force sort of resembles the more classic "unit blocks" wargame.

Or maybe they can say "hell with it" and just shove all the WH40k units into block formations. It'd be sort of silly, but Warhammer is sort of silly.

So, is this in the same universe as Age of Reckoning? Because if so, I am totally on board. My all time favorite MMO, ever, and my all time favorite fantasy setting. It's a shame the RvR endgame was so terribly broken and it failed. Still my favorite gaming experience to date.
yeah

AOR had some of the best world design (and art design) of any MMO... and it gets almost no credit for that... they did such awesome work with the setting

I say "some" mostly because it was limited to the Greenskins vs Dwarfs pairing, and maybe a few of the human areas (and the Empire capital). Some of the styling of the mountains and keeps, or interiors of houses and camps, were just incredible

like a diorama right out of White Dwarf

the artists did some amazing things with the setting... a few of the areas are just as good as anything in WoW or any other RPG (and I was a hardcore WoW fan for 7 years).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom