• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou Community Thread | Highly Responsive to Posts

microfolk

In DDC you can also bombspam while getting mad PoC bonuses, meaning racking tons of lives and bombs so you can bombspam more. :p

It's such a fun game, too bad I absolutely despise the last two stages, especially Shinmyoumaru <_<

This is the guide in question.

It does keep things very simple. I wouldn't add anything extra to the guides overall contents for a gameplay section besides the Point of Collections unique role in DDC (for additional scoring and collecting bomb/life pieces). If anything I was debating on having less info for the sake of a not bogged out OT. But if this happened to be a person's first Bullet Hell (very possible for someone coming in from the fandom/anime side vs. the gaming side) then it probably would be best if they had more info available. It may be best to just cut info so it's specific to DDC (for example, there's no need to mention the Continue systems in MoF-UFO here. Reading it again, I'd also had a little thing about the Boss indicator for keeping track of where the boss is from the bottom.

Overall though, it has almost everything a new player would want to know.

ibyea

Banned
This is the guide in question.

It does keep things very simple. I wouldn't add anything extra to the guides overall contents for a gameplay section besides the Point of Collections unique role in DDC (for additional scoring and collecting bomb/life pieces). If anything I was debating on having less info for the sake of a not bogged out OT. But if this happened to be a person's first Bullet Hell (very possible for someone coming in from the fandom/anime side vs. the gaming side) then it probably would be best if they had more info available. It may be best to just cut info so it's specific to DDC (for example, there's no need to mention the Continue systems in MoF-UFO here. Reading it again, I'd also had a little thing about the Boss indicator for keeping track of where the boss is from the bottom.

Overall though, it has almost everything a new player would want to know.

Yeah, just add the new stuff from DDC and subtract the stuff from other games and it seems fine.

HGH

Banned
Aquastyle%20Vita%201_zpsxbiibtmb.png

Well, there ya go.

cuc

Because I can't make threads, I'll just copy&paste my Fushigi no Gensokyo PS Vita announcement post here. Feel free to use it to make a new thread if you want to.

Just be sure to clarify what the Play,Doujin! programme is (an initiative to publish doujin games on PlayStation platforms) and what this game is (a Touhou roguelike fan game).

Via a NicoNico stream, Aqua Style has revealed more details on their PlayStation Vita port of Mysterious Gensokyo 3, the first game published by the Play,Doujin! programme.

The game's full title is "Fushigi no Gensokyo -The Tower of Desire-". The release date will be June 25.

The game will be released in two versions. The standard release is a digital download version that will cost JPY 4600 (w/o tax). There will also be a made-on-order limited edition only sold via doujin stores at JPY 8000 (w/o tax).

The limited edition contains exclusive PS Vita themes, a smartphone/PS Vita stand, an artbook, and "Mystic Gift Disc", a DVD-ROM containing the full 50-song, 2-hour-20-minute soundtrack plus audio drama performed by the game's voice actors.
Aquastyle%20Vita%202_zpssd4forzh.jpg

The shops will be taking orders for the limited edition until May 17.
Aquastyle%20Vita%204_zpska5ijp4n.png

From the gameplay demo:
Aquastyle%20Vita%207.png_zpszkv3yfq9.jpeg

Aquastyle%20Vita%209_zpsjt22y4nh.png

So Mokou and Shinmyoumaru have been revealed to be in 14.5 as per the data leaks

(Click on &#30331;&#22580;&#20154;&#29289;&#65289;

http://tasofro.net/touhou145/index.html

http://tasofro.net/touhou145/chara.html

Notably Mokou has a slight redesign : Her sleeves are torn and are now short.

And apparently other characters from HM would reappear and have different profile pic art. In the link above, there is an image with Miko and Byakuren fighting each other.

Also the new character on the silhouette looks like an elf with wide sleeves dual wielding swords.

Besides reclaiming my Extra of MoF, I also have set my sights on normal 1'ccing Mystic Square. MS and LLS are totally worth playing. Lots of good tunes in both too. Mystic Square has Plastic Mind, Last Judgement, and Alice in Wonderland as particuarly standing out for me.

cj_iwakura

Because I can't make threads, I'll just copy&paste my Fushigi no Gensokyo PS Vita announcement post here. Feel free to use it to make a new thread if you want to.

Just be sure to clarify what the Play,Doujin! programme is (an initiative to publish doujin games on PlayStation platforms) and what this game is (a Touhou roguelike fan game).

Via a NicoNico stream, Aqua Style has revealed more details on their PlayStation Vita port of Mysterious Gensokyo 3, the first game published by the Play,Doujin! programme.

The game's full title is "Fushigi no Gensokyo -The Tower of Desire-". The release date will be June 25.

The game will be released in two versions. The standard release is a digital download version that will cost JPY 4600 (w/o tax). There will also be a made-on-order limited edition only sold via doujin stores at JPY 8000 (w/o tax).

The limited edition contains exclusive PS Vita themes, a smartphone/PS Vita stand, an artbook, and "Mystic Gift Disc", a DVD-ROM containing the full 50-song, 2-hour-20-minute soundtrack plus audio drama performed by the game's voice actors.
Aquastyle%20Vita%202_zpssd4forzh.jpg

The shops will be taking orders for the limited edition until May 17.
Aquastyle%20Vita%204_zpska5ijp4n.png

From the gameplay demo:
Aquastyle%20Vita%207.png_zpszkv3yfq9.jpeg

Aquastyle%20Vita%209_zpsjt22y4nh.png

Still surreal to see this kind of thing happen to a Touhou game, even a spinoff.

Shame the visuals can't match up to the art.

upandaway

Pretty crazy to see Touhou on the Vita, shame that having another Japanese account on vita requires another memory card. I hope it does well

Evilisk

I guess everybody already knows but here's some new screens anyway. (Also I really shouldn't be surprised there's already fanart of their inclusion). Miko and Byak also got stealth confirmed but no portrait yet

Never been a fan of Mokou but I like the sleeveless look for her. Sukuna looks majestic in Harukawa's artstyle (especially in full colour). Makes me kinda embarassed for Kasen's portrait actually but I'll take what I can get

Glad to see Mokou confirmed for 14.5, but Shinmyoumaru over Seija is hate.

HATE

Don't hate on Sukuna for Seija not getting in. It's Seija's own fault for being a contrarian and not accepting her invitation to 14.5

It's kobito time now

I'm definitely seeing this game getting localized. Fighters have much more appeal in the West than bullet hell shooters. Though I'm personally not a fan of fighters, even when they're more unique like the Touhou fighters are.

Don't hate on Sukuna for Seija not getting in. It's Seija's own fault for being a contrarian and not accepting her invitation to 14.5

Well it's not like Seija got to star in her own game or anything :p

Zweizer

Banned
Another small batch of doujinshi has been translated, including a Millet Soup work celebrating Sakuya's return to being a playable character in DDC, Sakuya-san's Appearance Has Been Decided:

Starring Koakuma as Sakuya C weapon!

If only... (; _ ; )

PoFV is core. I don't care what people say, it's as mainline as 8 or 10!

On another side note, Reimu looks really cool in this image.

6f37b10c.jpg

Zweizer

Banned
Considering the game's name and Udonge's status as a playable character, I too think it's very likely that it'll involve Lunarians at large.

HGH

Banned
I wonder if this'll be jerk Reisen or "everybody bullies me" Reisen.

PoFV is core. I don't care what people say, it's as mainline as 8 or 10!

On another side note, Reimu looks really cool in this image.

6f37b10c.jpg
>Lifes disabled
Oh boooy, I smell a gimmick! I don't see any other bars or indicators on the screen though.

We Reisen now.

This is the first mainline Touhou Windows game with a playable full-blood youkai (the lunar rabbits are youkai, right?) Assuming you don't count PoFV...or the demon halves of the IN teams.

...Not the best qualifier, but who cares. We Reisen now.

Also I love how fierce Reimu looks in that pic. Someones about to get wrecked.

I wonder if Reimu and Marisa's stuff will still have any of the DDC corruption effects on it. I think I read when I was looking up stuff for the OT that the effects have been slowing going away.

Speaking of which, I'll show you guys a little of what I have soon, I did the modifications to the gameplay guide for the OT.

So here's what I've got so far.

It's very much a work in progress, with many sections only outlined or even having nothing, so please be aware. Main things to note are the Characters and Updated Gameplay sections, and perhaps "Intro to Touhou". I also need to figure out how to freshen it up graphically. Do you guys have any ideas of questions that should be addressed in the FAQ section? Perhaps things that a new person going into it may wonder that isn't addressed in the OT itself?

-------------------------------------

Touhou 14: Double Dealing Character OT

Intro to Touhou
Touhou is a series of (mostly) vertical shooting games of the bullet hell style, similar to Dodonpachi and Ikaruga. Originally made for the PC-98 computer system starting in 1995, the Touhou series has been on Windows system since 2002. Known for a huge (and ever growing) cast, a huge number of well-loved and often remixed songs, and relatively approachable gameplay compared to other bullet hells, the Touhou series has long been a significant presence in the doujin scene. An avalanche of music, games, art and animation have been created by fans of the games over the past 20 years, and it even has a sizable fanbase beyond Japan. Double Dealing Character was originally released in 2013 for Japanese markets.

Story
Normally peaceful youkai are rising up
The girls weapons are "rebelling"
The girls go to investigate.

Player Characters

In Double Dealing Character, players get to select one of 3 different characters, and also choose whether or not the character will use her corrupted weapon, for a total of 6 different shot types.
Reimu Hakurei
Reimu Hakurei is the original protagonist of the Touhou games, having been around since the very first one. She's the shrine maiden of the Hakurei shrine, whose job is to maintain the border that separates Gensokyo and the real world.

Marisa Kirisame
Originally appearing as an antagonist in the 2nd Touhou game, Marisa Kirisame is now usually seen as the other main protagonist along with Reimu. She's claims to be just an Ordinary Witch who lives in the Forest of Magic.

Sakuya Izayoi
Despite being human, Sakuya Iayoi is the Head Maid of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, serving under the vampire sisters that reside there. She originally clashed against Marisa and Reimu in Touhou 6, but has since helped to clean up a few unusual incidents of her own.

Gameplay

Hitbox
To give a proper definition of a hitbox, it is defined as:
an invisible shape commonly used in video games for real-time collision detection.
In other words, this is the area on your character that determines if you've been hit or not! Generally, hitboxes will encompass an entire character in some manner, but Touhou hitboxes are quite different. Your hitbox in Touhou is defined by a small circle on the characters waist. This means that even when a bullet collides with your character, it does not kill you unless it hits the small circle.

Hey, hey, you see that white circle on Reimu? Don't let anything touch that!
In Double Dealing Character, your hitbox will become visible when you shift focus! Speaking of shift focus:

Shift Focus
Holding shift will make your character go into focus mode. What this means is that you will start moving much slower, allowing you to be much more precise with your movements and prevent you from careening into a bullet and dying as a result! As mentioned earlier, focusing makes your hitbox visible. Focusing will also alter your shot type, generally making your shots more focused in the forward direction. And finally, focusing increases your range for collecting power ups and all that fun stuff!

Spell cards
Spell cards are essentially the source of all the pretty, colorful bullet patterns that bosses use to kill you. Starting with EoSD (6), bullet patterns that the bosses use are generally split between non spells and spell cards, with spell cards typically being the more complex and potentially gimmicky patterns. For each non spell and spell card, there will be both a health bar and a timer. In order to get past these, you must either deplete the boss&#8217;s health bar for that attack, or survive until the timer counts down to zero. When a boss is using a spell card, the name will be displayed in the top right corner along with &#8220;Bonus #&#8221; and &#8220;History #/#&#8221;, which is the number of times you have captured a spell card out of the number of times you have challenged that spell card.

The history acts as a testament to your continuing failure.
Spell cards are captured by successfully beating the spell card without dying and without using a bomb. By capturing a spell card, you will receive a number of bonus points as indicated by &#8220;Bonus #&#8221;.

Continues
Continues are a fairly basic concept to games, in general, and is simply the option to continue the game if you reached a game over by losing all your lives. There are two important things to keep in mind about continues in Touhou games.
First, the game has a continue system where if you run out of lives, choosing to continue will place you back at the point where you died. However, you only have a limited number of continues.
Second, in order to get a good ending, you must complete a 1 credit clear (1-cc) of the game. If you use a continue, you will no longer be on your first credit and you will receive a bad ending upon completing the game.

Bombs
Bombs are spell cards used by you, and are generally fairly powerful attacks that clear a significant number of enemy bullets off the screen while providing you with a period of invincibility. Also, if you use a bomb within a small window of time immediately after being hit, the bomb will prevent the loss of a life. Bombs have gone through a fair amount of change throughout the series. In Double Dealing Character, bombs are collected in parts. A few parts are given at various points of the stage and during boss fights, but your primary method of collecting bomb parts is through the DDC's unique take on the Point of Collection. When enough bomb parts have been collected, you'll earn a bomb to use in the game.

Point of Collection (or Auto-Collect Line, as others have called it)
The point of collection is an invisible line towards the top of the screen. If you go above this line, items will gravitate towards you at a fairly quick speed, saving you the trouble of flying around the screen to pick them all up. Starting with MoF (10), the point of collection is shown to you at the very beginning of a run.

Cross that line if you want to die get rich.
Grazing
Grazing is the concept of getting really really close to a bullet without actually touching it. If you like high scores, grazing is for you! The whole point of grazing is to reward super aggressive players who like to dance with death by giving them inflated scores. In Double Dealing Character, increases the amount of points your given from collecting blue point items.

Streaming
Streaming is a fairly basic concept in bullet hell games that is extremely useful and very important to understand. It is not uncommon for enemies to fire bullets in a straight line at your location, or for spell card patterns to have certain bullets aimed at your position. As such, you can easily control these bullets being aimed at you by simply moving slightly to the side. Here is an example of streaming (SA stage 6), where it can be seen that the player slowly moves in order to lure all the bullets into a particular spot.

Difficulty Levels
The Touhou series has four different difficulty levels, which include Easy, EasyNormal, Hard, and DeathLunatic. There are a few important issues to make note of with regards to difficulty levels. First, certain games will only allow you to see the good ending only if you are playing Normal difficulty or above. Second, if you wish to access the Extra stage (Note: You do), then you must 1-cc the game on Normal difficulty or higher. Third, Easy mode is for elementary children only.

But seriously, Easy mode is a very good way to get accustomed to the game and begin learning the basics if you are having issues with higher difficulties. I'm sure no one will mock you for it. Not at all.

Hopefully this is a useful overview of general game mechanics. Keep in mind, though, that most of the games have mechanics specific to that game. You can generally get by without really understanding game specific mechanics, but if you wish to gain a better understanding of individual games, the Touhou wiki provides plenty of useful information.

Media

FAQ
Why was the 14th game chosen to be the first one to be released to Western markets?
Most Recent mainline game
In addition, Double Dealing Character has a relatively basic gameplay system compared to some of the other modern games in the series, making it a smart choice for introducing a new audiance to the series.
What about the previous Touhou games? Future ones? Other media?
As of this writing, Playism says they currently have no official plans to release other games in the series. As is usual with this sort of thing, healthy sales will probably convince the folks in charge to move forward with future releases.

Perhaps you should also address concerns whether or not someone should play the other games before starting with DDC. I'd say they could just start with DDC itself as DDC is the beginning of it's own arc.

shockdude

Imo Touhou 15's gonna ditch the 6 stage format. There's a bunch of evidence pointing to it, such as ZUN being daring while keeping the shmup mechanics simple, and the screenshots with "Interrupt Data" (related to save data) and "Chapter Finish" instead of "Stage Clear". Should be exciting if true.

Though strangely enough, the Chapter Clear sign appears while the boss still has her health bar up, I'm personally guessing that it appears after each spell card is cleared by the player.

Scher

Barrylocke, if you'd like, I can give you the stuff from my post as it is written with the BBCode format if you would like to keep quotes and stuff intact. Just let me know whatever you want to do with it!

shockdude

Though strangely enough, the Chapter Clear sign appears while the boss still has her health bar up, I'm personally guessing that it appears after each spell card is cleared by the player.
I think you're right; the stats in that screenshot make much more sense in the context of a spellcard-like attack.

Evilisk

Boo. Where's my playable Futo ZUN? Man, I'd even take Shou over her since her laser attacks would be fun (to use against enemies) or Orin despite my dislike for her

(I'm not a fan of Reisen. She's got such a boring character design and Stage 5 gimmick, though I do like her attack animations in the fighting games)

Also not a fan of Sanae returning. I didn't like the games she was playable in, in general, and I definitely am not a fan of any of her shottypes (which were pretty bland imho)

I'm interested in the fact that TH15 has now been announced yet 14.5 and presumably 14.8 haven't even been released yet

New PV for Urban Legend in Limbo is out, showcasing Character Portraits and new music remixed by popular Touhou arrangers!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0m0ubTz3yQ4

Kasen gets a proper ZUN theme, Futo's portrait actually reflects her height and hair color correctly, and Sukuna is badass.

Nitori Kawashiro has a crowbar as her melee weapon?!
So appropriate, in NicoNico the Crowbar is legendary due to Half Life. I could not find a more appropriate user than an engineer Kappa.

Top Bottom