• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou Community Thread | Highly Responsive to Posts

dani_dc

This is a bit off topic, but I was told this was a good place to ask so any issues just complain to Panda the person that told me to come here.

I recognize a few of the faces around here anyway.

Basically I'm looking for suggestions of doujin games to buy in Japan, ideally with simple Japanese that would allow me to study as I go along (non-doujin games are fine for this too).

Ideally none of this games (already own them in Japanese or otherwise):
-Pokemon
-Dragon Quest
-Ouendan
-Animal Crossing

But preferably Doujin games as mentioned.

PC or any non-region locked handhled is fine for me.

Zweizer

Banned
Does it matter if they're Touhou doujin games?

Try out Sengoku Gensokyo, a Sengoku Rance Touhou doujin game
that's totally worksafe, sadly
(and play Sengoku Rance as well if you have yet to do so
though that one is a h-game
, it has some great mechanics and is a good Strategy game on its own).

demidar

Well since you're in the Touhou Community thread I'll give you an answer on the mainline games. It's probably not the best way to learn. There's a fair amount of kanji and furigana is scarce. The text auto scrolls and the resolution is low enough that it can be tough making out the more complicated kanji. Even so, there's not that much text. The difficulty I would classify as moderate, err, maybe upper elementary?

I don't know about the fangames though, there are a couple of RPGs/Dungeon Crawlers with a lot of text but I've never played them, you'll have to ask someone else.

As for non-Touhou games, how about Time Travelers on the Vita? It's a Visual Novel of sorts and there's lot of furigana. Or anything by Level-5 I suppose (Ni no Kuni, etc.), they keep their text simple since their games are aimed towards kids (Time Travelers is an exception). I know they aren't doujins but you should give them a look.

Controllers are not a problem. ZUN always plays his own games using PlayStation-series controllers.

Porting the official games to consoles is unlikely in foreseeable future, since among other things, the guiding philosophy of the project is for the developers to do the porting by themselves, but ZUN simply don't have any time for that. He prefers to spend his time making new Touhou games, writing the official manga, and taking care of his family.

I wish the mainline Touhou games had an option to change the keys of the keyboard bindings. I play on my laptop and I had to get this program to alter the keys placements. I've been having issues with it too so I may need to find another one.

Alternatively, I wish I could effectively play the games with my controller. I suck and movement in Touhou with the control pad and the joystick vs. arrow keys.

upandaway

Yeah I don't think the main games are good for anyone starting with the language, it can get pretty intense, but there should be a bunch of fangames out there. From this post, I think Touhou Puppet Performance Dance looks like it could work (and it sounds super fun)

xWOcXLX.jpg

Doesn't seem too bad as far as kanji goes

shockdude

I wish the mainline Touhou games had an option to change the keys of the keyboard bindings. I play on my laptop and I had to get this program to alter the keys placements. I've been having issues with it too so I may need to find another one.

Alternatively, I wish I could effectively play the games with my controller. I suck and movement in Touhou with the control pad and the joystick vs. arrow keys.
I use AutoHotKey to remap the keys, and I haven't had any problems with it. The AHK script I use looks like this:
Code:
#MaxHotkeysPerInterval 1000
#NoEnv
SendMode Input

e::Up
d::Down
s::Left
f::Right
j::z
l::x
o::c
k::LShift
i::LCtrl
By "control pad" I assume you mean DPAD? I hope you're not playing Touhou with an analog stick.
An effective controller mapping I've found is mapping shot & bomb to the face buttons & mapping focus to the right shoulder button. This allows you to rapidly focus & unfocus while still being able to move around and shoot and bomb.

It's been a little over 3 years since I got my sole Extra Clear (against Suwako in MoF). I've decided to see if 3 years and waaay less regular touhou practice later, I can still do it.

After a liberal application of AutoHotKeys (thanks Shockdude), a couple tries got me to Native Myth vs. Central Myth, so I think I can do it. It helps that somehow despite having not played much in the past 2 years, I was able to get the hang of Jade of the Horrid River and Seven Stones and Seven Trees, cards that I almost never was able to capture when I played more often. This means that I have a reasonable chance of catching every card (but NOT every card at once, I always screw up at somehow) until Froggy Braves the Elements.

demidar

I have been neglecting my playing, but I have been reading. I've finally caught up with the canon manga (they're nice enough) and a few doujins (mostly one-shots since they're the majority). Of particular note, I think Miko Miko Suika is one of the better doujins, which is 13 chapters long currently.

ibyea

Banned
I 1cc'd Perfect Cherry Blossom. Woohoo! Next went into Double Dealing Character. That last boss is so freaking difficult. One of the spell cards took me 134 tries to capture in practice mode.

shockdude

Been grinding EoSD Lunatic for too long, so I decided to do a blind run of IN Lunatic.
Blind runs of higher difficulties have always been really fun, and this one was no exception. Everything is really fast and really dense compared to Hard, and it's great.
Also was three seconds away from capturing Lunatic Hourai Elixir blind, but then it threw a bunch of really tight rings at me and I couldn't keep up.
Oh and I unlocked another Last Word. I can tell why ZUN locked that one behind a Lunatic clear, haha.

Scher

I came to post here in celebration of Touhou's western release announcement! I'm super excited and we better get an official release of SA at some point!

Itshappening.gif!!!!

The playism deal did put the writing on the wall, but it's still really exciting to know that we're finally going to get an official Touhou release in the west.

I hope that Playism/ZUN are able to add in some Quality of Life improvements to this game. The one I'd like the most is the ability to config the buttons on the keyboard. Autohotkey handled my issue, but I'm sure potential buyers would appreciate having an ingame way to change the keys.

H-h-here I go! First OT, so wish me luck. Going to start compiling information tonight and tomorrow. This shouldn't be too bad for a first one, but I'll probably still request some help for graphics and/or an extra set of eyes from you guys.

demidar

I hope that Playism/ZUN are able to add in some Quality of Life improvements to this game. The one I'd like the most is the ability to config the buttons on the keyboard. Autohotkey handled my issue, but I'm sure potential buyers would appreciate having an ingame way to change the keys.

H-h-here I go! First OT, so wish me luck. Going to start compiling information tonight and tomorrow. This shouldn't be too bad for a first one, but I'll probably still request some help for graphics and/or an extra set of eyes from you guys.

The official English release is still up in the air, so you've got a lot of time since OTs go up on the day of release.

Ive been out of the loop with touhou lately, but did the most recent fighter update release already?

Ive been itching to use Kokoro and Koishi.

Lebon14

I'm late to the announcement (LTTA) it seems.

I hope that it opens the gate too for the mangas and artbooks! I'd grab them all.

I didn't know we had a Touhou community here. :D

So um, I've only played the first 3 Windows games and the fighting spin-offs. What kind of Touhou game stuffs should I jump into to prepare for the first western release?

Basically the Windows canon is divided into 3 arcs atm(6-9.5, 10-13.5, 14- ), with Touhou 14 being the beginning of a new arc. So you should be able to play the game without prior knowledge of what happened in previous games.

microfolk

I need more info about the DDC release, like Demidar I will buy the physical version nonetheless but I need to spend as much money as possible on official Touhou merchandise, I want to fund the frilly dresses for miniZUN~

I 1cc'd Perfect Cherry Blossom. Woohoo! Next went into Double Dealing Character. That last boss is so freaking difficult. One of the spell cards took me 134 tries to capture in practice mode.

Woah a Perfect Run is such an impressive achievement! Do you mind sharing the replay with us?
And let me guess, the hard as ball spellcard is either the survival one (one of the most bullshit spellcards in the entire series ugh I hate it so much) or the one where Sukuna throws a shitload of knives at you, am I correct?

I didn't know we had a Touhou community here. :D

So um, I've only played the first 3 Windows games and the fighting spin-offs. What kind of Touhou game stuffs should I jump into to prepare for the first western release?

Play EoSD until your fingers fall off, you don't need anything else.

Jokes aside, pick the Touhou with the most appealing cast and starts from there, they are all good games in their own right.

DDC is a bombfest though so maybe MoF is the most similar in this aspect? I'm not really serious. Maybe.

Ive been out of the loop with touhou lately, but did the most recent fighter update release already?

Ive been itching to use Kokoro and Koishi.

I'm too lazy to check right now but nah we're still waiting for more informations, maybe we'll get another demo at the next Reitaisai.

Maid

Banned
Woah a Perfect Run is such an impressive achievement! Do you mind sharing the replay with us?
And let me guess, the hard as ball spellcard is either the survival one (one of the most bullshit spellcards in the entire series ugh I hate it so much) or the one where Sukuna throws a shitload of knives at you, am I correct?

I believe he meant he 1cc'ed Touhou 7, not perfect run.

Also, regarding 14.5, I think we will have a complete demo in April, and apparently a full game at Reitaisai.

microfolk

I believe he meant he 1cc'ed Touhou 7, not perfect run.

Also, regarding 14.5, I think we will have a complete demo in April, and apparently a full game at Reitaisai.

Gah I've misread, I'm so sleepy this morning.

And is there some event this month where the demo should be released? In any case I can't complain if the full version will come out so soon.

Maid

Banned
And is there some event this month where the demo should be released? In any case I can't complain if the full version will come out so soon.

Reitaisai starts on May 10th, so it's just my guess that there will be new info at the end of April, and the good chance that it will be a demo to bring the hype for the full release. At worst if we don't hear anything new this month, then Reitaisai will be the new demo release instead of full game.

Evilisk

Basically the Windows canon is divided into 3 arcs atm(6-9.5, 10-13.5, 14- ), with Touhou 14 being the beginning of a new arc. So you should be able to play the game without prior knowledge of what happened in previous games.

This.

There will be a few locale references but it's one of those blank slate games that ZUN likes to put out every few other iterations that won't be too continuity heavy.

In terms of gameplay, the entire second windows arc if you have a lot of time. If not, then I'd at least recommend Ten Desires because it'll help you get used to some of the UI changes that are present in DDC.

microfolk

Keeping all the characters relevant in canon must be a pain in the ass.

Every character except Koakuma.

Poor girl not only has no name, she's also the only boss character in the whole series without a single spell card. She just needs some love. ;_;

Ok even before submitting this I checked and it seems like even Daiyousei and Lily White are in the same situation but they are far more present in the series than the poor librarian, I demand justice.

demidar

Every character except Koakuma.

Poor girl not only has no name, she's also the only boss character in the whole series without a single spell card. She just needs some love. ;_;

Ok even before submitting this I checked and it seems like even Daiyousei and Lily White are in the same situation but they are far more present in the series than the poor librarian, I demand justice.

nvm I got my characters confused :p

HGH

Banned
Even then, if you play through Fairy Wars' extra stage, Lily and Daiyousei have a whole bunch of combination attacks that might as well be spellcards really.

ibyea

Banned

I think you confused the first part of the title Perfect Cherry Blossom as perfect run. ^_^ In actuality the playthrough isn't that impressive as I really messed up in ways I shouldn't have in the final boss. Thankfully I did really well in all the other bosses. And man am I proud of capturing the final spell card in that high pressure situation.

The survival one is not nearly bad. Took me like 30 tries. The knives one, though, holy balls, that's the one that kook me over 100 times. It's insane, and I played it on normal. The first one is insane too, I captured it by pure luck, I'm pretty sure. Her non spell knives is insane, the final spell card is insane as it is really long and it escalates really hard 3/4 of the way through. Seija's non spells in stage 6 are very unintuitive too. The whole thing is just crazy for normal difficulty.

upandaway

Just noticed that in 10 days is the 1 year anniversary of this thread (which was created a bit after ZUN announced west plans). Pretty good timing.

I came to post here in celebration of Touhou's western release announcement! I'm super excited and we better get an official release of SA at some point!
Whoa! Fancy seeing you around

You might wanna use Scher's gameplay guide that he wrote for this thread. go knock 'em out man, we got your back.

Just noticed that in 10 days is the 1 year anniversary of this thread (which was created a bit after ZUN announced west plans). Pretty good timing.

Whoa! Fancy seeing you around

You might wanna use Scher's gameplay guide that he wrote for this thread. go knock 'em out man, we got your back.

That definitely helps with explaining the mechanics. I'm not sure how deep the introduction to the gameplay needs to go (besides the basics of gameplay and introducing the Point of Collection system), so I'll probably wind up linking that post for whatever doesn't get explained in the topic.

I already have a frame for most of the OT, though it's pretty unedited. And a lot of the info won't be finalized until we see more info from Playism for official screenshots, terms, and so on.

demidar

That definitely helps with explaining the mechanics. I'm not sure how deep the introduction to the gameplay needs to go (besides the basics of gameplay and introducing the Point of Collection system), so I'll probably wind up linking that post for whatever doesn't get explained in the topic.

I already have a frame for most of the OT, though it's pretty unedited. And a lot of the info won't be finalized until we see more info from Playism for official screenshots, terms, and so on.

I think just the main mechanics would do (haven't seen Scher's guide). PoC, hitbox explanations, spellcard system, how to gain extra lives and bombs and whatever axillary system that comes with the game (Trance gauge, Youkai guage, Cherry system, UFO system, Time Orbs, etc.). You can probably leave out how to maximize points and point formulas though.

Maid

Banned
The only thing you need to know is don't get hit. If you can do that all the time, then you already beat the game, lol.

Top Bottom