• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou Community Thread | Highly Responsive to Posts

Zweizer

Banned
Looks good. I assume the gameplay will still be the "floaty" one of HM? I had hoped they'd go back to the more frenetic one of Hisoutensoku.

Evilisk

Please please please give me a playable Seiga for 14.5

Also I wasn't a fan at all of 13.5's portrait art (Futo was a complete eyesore as an example) but I do like Moe's work on FS so I'm glad with this change in artist.

Apparently Kasen's confirmed as playable in ULiL.

B5_F3kVCUAALFN1.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/tohomemory/status/549374536097873921/photo/1

demidar

First literature originated character to make it into an official game?

Fake edit: No wait, Great Fairy Wars exists.

I thought she appeared in PoFV first.

TouhouWiki says that PoFV was out on August 14 2005 while Bohemian Archive was August 11 2005. (Though the trial for PoFV was released a few months earlier but I'm not sure if Aya's in it)

Speaking of Great Fairy Wars, I wonder if Kosuzu is make an appearance in some shape or form, after all, GFW has the art done by the same artist as The Three Fairies manga, yet Kasen's done by a different artist from Wild and Horned Hermit.

demidar

TouhouWiki says that PoFV was out on August 14 2005 while Bohemian Archive was August 11 2005. (Though the trial for PoFV was released a few months earlier but I'm not sure if Aya's in it)

Speaking of Great Fairy Wars, I wonder if Kosuzu is make an appearance in some shape or form, after all, GFW has the art done by the same artist as The Three Fairies manga, yet Kasen's done by a different artist from Wild and Horned Hermit.

I've only read the Three Fairies manga and know that the artist switched from the first volume to the second so I can't help you there.

Seems odd to not use the same artist. Maybe the Forbidden Scrollery character will get in :lol

microfolk

There is a demo out there, though I'm not sure if I can put a link here?
Despite me having played really little of HM this game feels much better to control and play, and Kasen sure is an interesting character even though her animations feel rough and unfinished.
I'm not really please about the Occult Orb mechanic, why taking back the weather mechanic, whyyyyy

demidar

Dunno if people know but there's a whole new slew of Touhou doujin games on display at Comiket 87. Here's a link that shows all the games (Touhou takes about the first half of the entire post, with non-Touhou in the latter half).

http://roguelike.blog70.fc2.com/blog-entry-866.html

I did a quick skim and there's a couple of promising games. The ones that jumped out at me. For those without a NicoNico account, the blog post has the videos embedded which you can watch without one. (Click the quoted images to expand them)

Touhou Tactics (blog) - Youtube video - Looks nice and flashy, but I don't know how well it will play. But it looks flashy and that's all that counts :p

Age of Ethanols III - An RTS based on Age of Empires going by the name. Don't see a lot of RTS doujins (except that Touhou Dota 2 mod but that's a MOBA). Also the website has the craziest Reimu midriff I've ever seen.

Double Focus, [2] - NicoNico video - As far as I can tell, it's kind of like a Metroidvania? It stars Aya and Momiji and you can swap between the two, kind of like Charlotte and Jonathan in Portrait of Ruin (which is why I thought this was a Metroidvania). It's got cute, gorgeous art.

Touhou Puppet Performance Dance (I think?), [2] - NicoNico video - This one doesn't seem to be a romhack, looks built from the ground up but I don't have much experience with Touhoumon. Someone help me out here!

False Hometown? - NicoNico video - This is basically Valkyrie Profile with a Touhou skin, and given that VP is my favourite JRPG of all time this game makes me 9 kinds of wet. Watch the video and ogle at the sprites, they're so fluid and detailed and the combat looks spectacular. This game has Second Departure as a subtitle because it's a sequel to First Disaster (which I have never heard of).

Fantasy Maiden Wars E - NicoNico video - Pretty sure everyone knows what this is. Touhou Super Robot Wars, this time with Imperishable Night's story.

...oh yeah, and there's this.

Genso Skydrift - NicoNico video, [2] - Upskirts are unavoidable :/

A kart racer except your kart is your partner. It takes after Mario Kart Double Dash since you can switch between them, but also maybe Kirby's Air Ride? There's also some anti-gravity stuff ala MK8 which you can see in the video (Patchoulli's library). Graphically it looks very nice, as much as I can make out with a low quality video.

I haven't seen that Ys-alike yet, it's probably behind one of the links without images/videos.

Zweizer

Banned
Dunno if people know but there's a whole new slew of Touhou doujin games on display at Comiket 87. Here's a link that shows all the games (Touhou takes about the first half of the entire post, with non-Touhou in the latter half).

-Snip-

Most of these games look pretty great. Definitely interested in the various RPG ones. There seems to be a lack of interest in translating fangames these past couple of years though.

Touhou Tactics: Never heard of Perilla Soft before, but the various sprites really look gorgeous. A departure from the Tokushu Soukou Tai games that I played five years ago, that's for sure.

Touhou Puppet Performance Dance: It doesn't look too bad, but the animation is rather choppy. Doesn't seem to be a romhack either. I'm guessing it's done in RPG Maker. Artist of the portraits is Hemogurobin A1C.

Second Disaster: Oh fuck yes! Looks amazing!

First Disaster is basically this April's Fools video, that received lots of positive feedback (among other things) and thus became a proper game that got released in 2012. I'm still waiting for an English patch that seemingly will never come.

demidar

Most of these games look pretty great. Definitely interested in the various RPG ones. There seems to be a lack of interest in translating fangames these past couple of years though.

Touhou Tactics: Never heard of Perilla Soft before, but the various sprites really look gorgeous. A departure from the Tokushu Soukou Tai games that I played five years ago, that's for sure.

Touhou Puppet Performance Dance: It doesn't look too bad, but the animation is rather choppy. Doesn't seem to be a romhack either. I'm guessing it's done in RPG Maker. Artist of the portraits is Hemogurobin A1C.

Second Disaster: Oh fuck yes! Looks amazing!

First Disaster is basically this April's Fools video, that received lots of positive feedback (among other things) and thus became a proper game that got released in 2012. I'm still waiting for an English patch that seemingly will never come.

Yeah, these games getting fantranslated is pretty hit and miss, which is why I'm (very slowly) learning Japanese. It's difficult to say the least.

Second Disaster is gonna be so good. I'm definitely gonna keep my eye on it, especially since the Valkyrie Profile series is as dead as Mega Man.

Zweizer

Banned
Yeah, these games getting fantranslated is pretty hit and miss, which is why I'm (very slowly) learning Japanese. It's difficult to say the least.

Second Disaster is gonna be so good. I'm definitely gonna keep my eye on it, especially since the Valkyrie Profile series is as dead as Mega Man.

Haha I'm learning Japanese as well. Gotta expand my vocabulary though. And learn kanji as well. Save us, panda—! ヽ(´□` )ノ

I'm still hoping that a new Valkyrie Profile game starring Hrist will come out one day. tri-Ace still exists, so one can hope, right?

demidar

Haha I'm learning Japanese as well. Gotta expand my vocabulary though. And learn kanji as well. Save us, panda—! ヽ(´□` )ノ

I'm still hoping that a new Valkyrie Profile game starring Hrist will come out one day. tri-Ace still exists, so one can hope, right?

Tri-Ace is Square Enix's downtrodden slave so I don't expect them to make their own games anymore, instead they get to work on games in storied franchises such as FF13-2 and Lightning Returns :/

HGH

Banned
Fantasy Maiden Wars E - NicoNico video - Pretty sure everyone knows what this is. Touhou Super Robot Wars, this time with Imperishable Night's story.
Actually, that came out last August. This is the advertisement for their OST, which is releasing now. The video linked is a pretty long (1hour+) preview of all the new songs with "commentary" from the characters at the bottom. It's pretty neat really.

I haven't seen that Ys-alike yet, it's probably behind one of the links without images/videos.
That also came out last summer. Adventures of Scarlet Curiosity, was it?

Speaking of Christmas, there's one of these fake PC-98 remakes every year and on April's Fools:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGo_oTAEvTk

I consider them tradition by now really. SoEW this time.

demidar

Actually, that came out last August. This is the advertisement for their OST, which is releasing now. The video linked is a pretty long (1hour+) preview of all the new songs with "commentary" from the characters at the bottom. It's pretty neat really.

That also came out last summer. Adventures of Scarlet Curiosity, was it?

Silly me, I don't keep up much with the doujin scene. What's the chatter about Scarlet Curiosity? It would be a shame if it turned out bad.

upandaway

Just finished going over the games, not a lot of Touhou games this Comiket but the ones that are here look great. Tons of PC-98 arranges actually which is like, whoa.

Here's the usual big recap video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fF6tqff1os (Touhou is first ~13? minutes)
The new Desunoya game isn't Touhou related but it looks good, Fire Emblem-ish?

The Touhoumon game looks like I could read it fine and it looks interesting, so that's exciting. Genso Skydrift looks fun actually.

Crazy how some of these games go for 100 yen

Don't look at me, I wish someone would translate these too! They look great!

Zweizer

Banned
Touhou Skydrift looks stunning, but there aren't a lot of characters showcased and it feels a little too... peaceful? for a Mario Kart parody.

Don't look at me, I wish someone would translate these too! They look great!

I wonder why the fangames stopped getting translations these past couple of years. Fatigue?

demidar

I wonder why the fangames stopped getting translations these past couple of years. Fatigue?

If I were to guess, it would be the actual hacking part. As far as I know, all the mainline Touhou games use pretty much the same encryption so getting to the internal files is easy and the layout is familiar. These other games might be tougher with their encryption, or their memory is laid out really weirdly, or maybe the regular hackers don't have the time or motivation. Not to mention some of these RPGs are probably a lot more word-y than a shmup.

Zweizer

Banned
If I were to guess, it would be the actual hacking part. As far as I know, all the mainline Touhou games use pretty much the same encryption so getting to the internal files is easy and the layout is familiar. These other games might be tougher with their encryption, or their memory is laid out really weirdly, or maybe the regular hackers don't have the time or motivation. Not to mention some of these RPGs are probably a lot more word-y than a shmup.

Makes sense.

Seems like us RPG fans are screwed, huh?

cuc

Does anyone know somebody who can receive the NHK World TV channel's signal, and has the technical means for recording and encoding a 1080i show?

The channel's availability is... limited. Most people, including those living in Japan themselves, can only watch it either as a low-bitrate stream, or using an iOS/Android app.

We need somebody to properly archive the show.

The show will be repeated for 3 more times. Schedule of its run (UTC):
Jan 6 Tue: 15:30 - 15:58
Jan 6 Tue: 21:30 - 21:58
Jan 7 Wed: 03:30 - 03:58
jan 7 Wed: 09:30 - 09:58

microfolk

Does anyone know somebody who can receive the NHK World TV channel's signal, and has the technical means for recording and encoding a 1080i show?

The channel's availability is... limited. Most people, including those living in Japan themselves, can only watch it either as a low-bitrate stream, or using an iOS/Android app.

We need somebody to properly archive the show.

The show will be repeated for 3 more times. Schedule of its run (UTC):
Jan 6 Tue: 15:30 - 15:58
Jan 6 Tue: 21:30 - 21:58
Jan 7 Wed: 03:30 - 03:58
jan 7 Wed: 09:30 - 09:58

I could try... I guess? My digital receiver thingie has a recording function but I'm not sure it will let me transfer the recording to an hd, I should see if it is possible or not.

EDIT: well that was quick, the recordings are encrypted and can be only watched from the decoder, guess I can't be of any use here. :\

ibyea

Banned
Watched the segment and it was meh. I liked the part where they showed how the game syncs the stage with the music, though. And I did get to see a sneak peek of how ZUN develops the game, that was pretty cool.

upandaway

Watched the segment and it was meh. I liked the part where they showed how the game syncs the stage with the music, though. And I did get to see a sneak peek of how ZUN develops the game, that was pretty cool.
Oooh I'd want to see that part.

ibyea

Banned
Oooh I'd want to see that part.

Yeah, they showed a part where the left hand side showed DDC boss 6 throw lots of tiny little bullets, then on the right screen, he changed some parameters in the program, and when he started the left screen again, she was throwing a bunch of medium bullets.

Zweizer

Banned
For what it's worth here is ZUNs workroom in 2010

Note that sexy Edirol SD90 above his monitors which graces our ears with its trumpets and so on.

Maybe that is interessting to some even though you dont see much?

I don't know why but I imagined that his workplace would be messier than that. It's also surprisingly lacking in beverages.

That big beer book though. Haha.

ibyea

Banned
I don't know why but I imagined that his workplace would be messier than that. It's also surprisingly lacking in beverages.

That big beer book though. Haha.

It's possible he cleaned up before, knowing some media person was going in at a certain time.

ibyea

Banned
Oh yeah, that part about creating the music first before creating anything of the stage or character was very interesting.

http://roguelike.blog70.fc2.com/blog-entry-866.html

snip

I have almost all of these sitting on my desk and am just trying
to get through all of my work so I can finally try them out!

Touhou Tactics seems like it is mostly an online game which is interesting.
Doesn't seem to be much story content at first glance, which is surprising for a Touhou game!

Hope I can catch up on work and finally check these out this weekend.

cuc

I have almost all of these sitting on my desk and am just trying
to get through all of my work so I can finally try them out!

Touhou Tactics seems like it is mostly an online game which is interesting.
Doesn't seem to be much story content at first glance, which is surprising for a Touhou game!

Hope I can catch up on work and finally check these out this weekend.

Hello! Congratulations on publishing your first Touhou fan game! I see you just announced Touhou Koukishin, pretty sweet game.
http://www.playism.jp/games/touhou_koukishin/

upandaway

That narration was hilarious haha. And yeah seeing ZUN demoing development was great.

Oh yeah, that part about creating the music first before creating anything of the stage or character was very interesting.
Yeah that part stood out to me. That's probably very unique to ZUN in terms of game development.

I think it was... Bad Apple? (or the stage after it, maybe) was the first time I really felt the music doing something special with the actual stage, it felt really good.

Evilisk

Just saw this but the Touhou Super Smash Battles game has an IndieGoGo page and trailer now.

Looks pretty good to me, especially the stages. I'm considering contributing but I'm kinda overseas and tight on money unfortunately :/

demidar

Just saw this but the Touhou Super Smash Battles game has an IndieGoGo page and trailer now.

Looks pretty good to me, especially the stages. I'm considering contributing but I'm kinda overseas and tight on money unfortunately :/

They said they emailed ZUN about this, but I don't think that means this has to go-ahead. The other Kickstarter/IndieGoGo about the... card game? It was taken down and I fear this will happen again.

microfolk

Yeah that part stood out to me. That's probably very unique to ZUN in terms of game development.

There is also another game which went through the "music first" desig, which is ∀kashicverse -Malicious Wake.

Incidentally, it's also one of the strangest and most original STG I've ever seen.
There are multiples special moves you can execute through fighter games input! It's a super interesting games, one day I'll have to play it more seriously (maybe after 1ccing Hellsinker...)

HGH

Banned
Akachiverse is insane and I loved what I saw of it, but I'd never wanna go through it myself. It seems really harrowing. The Dubstep Spider is great though.

Speaking of music and other games, this "fangame of a fangame of a fangame" got posted up recently and I really liked its music. Supposedly it's mostly remixed/crossover'd from the original material(Suguri) and I was wondering if anyone with free time could redirect me to those? The game itself is of questionable quality but I liked the OST.

Top Bottom