• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toy Story in real time?? WHEN?!

xenorevlis said:
Character models are getting damn close and some environments, when presented properly, look beyond TS quality.

Environments aren't really fair to compare. In Toy Story, they were forced to model most details for the backgrounds. Games don't do this, and really have no reason to. In fact, most of the time game devs avoid doing this. Backgrounds don't need to be as detailed as things you'll see up close(characters, objects, etc.).

AdventureRacing said:
Maybe i'm seeing something different but the images on this page don't come anywhere near toy story.

That GoW picture actually pretty well demonstrates just how far we have to go.

Yeah, I think you are seeing differently...because the toy story image looks unimpressive to me in comparison to the game game shots....

nelsonroyale said:
Yeah, I think you are seeing differently...because the toy story image looks unimpressive to me in comparison to the game game shots....

Toy Story isn't pretty, but it is technically the more impressive title.

senahorse

ArjanN said:
The future is now:
pics

I probably didn't post the best shot. But seriously, I watched FF: Spirits Within on Blu-ray recently, and in motion it easily surpassed any of those games. Maybe I need my eyes checked.

edit: regarding the uncanny valley remarks about FF, I agree, my point was merely the old man in motion is vastly superior to anything I have seen in games, apart from Heavy Rain and UC2 I have played all of them.

finalfantasymovie_790screen001.jpg

edit: here's a HD sample of it in motion, and it still doesn't look as good as the Blu-ray (obviously) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HK4cHjjOUA

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
AdventureRacing said:
That GoW picture actually pretty well demonstrates just how far we have to go.
The GoW picture was completely out of place if you ask me. We're not comparing videogames to paintings here.

Windmill

Banned
The thing is, people are posting pictures of character models and showing how much nicer they look next to Toy Story when they're at their highest resolution and what-not. True, is the world animated like Toy Story? Hell no. Thats why they can't be compared. Its like comparing Toy Story with the Polar Express. Polar Express might have some better looking still shots, but put it in motion, and it has those piercing, scary, cold, dead eyes.

Polar_Express_large.jpg

Chinner

Banned
i like it how people are comparing 'super realistic' screenshots to a movie that doesn't even try to replicate reality.

Chinner

Banned
KTallguy said:
http://i35.tinypic.com/4kgvvk.jpg

I really liked the face models in MGS4, they have been surpassed but the style was really attractive to me.
it's a shame really, because the character models and lighting in the very first tgs trailer was spectacular, but they got downgraded slightly as time went on. luckily the environments did improve but i did miss the lighting seen in that trailer.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
KTallguy said:
http://i35.tinypic.com/4kgvvk.jpg

I really liked the face models in MGS4, they have been surpassed but the style was really attractive to me.
The problem with MGS4 were the animations during cutscenes. They felt so robotic and unnatural, and made characters look like moving mannequins.
At first I thought it was due to the uncanny valley starting to approach, considering how good the faces looked, but then I realized it was just poor animation (compared to the quality of models, obviously).

Nose Master

Aren't we going to hit a wall soon where games could potentially (via the hardware) look astounding, but it isn't worth the development costs? I mean, do you really want to pay 2x the current game prices for a game to look like... Up!, instead of Uncharted 2?

Nose Master said:
Aren't we going to hit a wall soon where games could potentially (via the hardware) look astounding, but it isn't worth the development costs? I mean, do you really want to pay 2x the current game prices for a game to look like... Up!, instead of Uncharted 2?
Going to? Look at how many developers have already folded this generation.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Nose Master said:
I think you should check how many companies bit the dust in 2008 and 2009.
EDIT: beaten.

Gravijah

Nose Master said:

Pack it in guys. Uncharted 2 has hit the perfect sweet spot for graphics per dollar.

zoukka

Well if you are going to post some contenders, make sure the game runs at constant 60fps or higher. The immersion just isn't there if the framerate is below that. Oh and perfect AA is needed too.

And even more importantly the animation has to be amazing. A Crack in Time doesn't hold a candle to the first Toy Story in any way if the demo is a good representative of the final game.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
TGO said:
We've had many games surpass Toy Story's graphics, dam if a game were to be released now with Toy Story graphics I'd laugh at how shit it looks.
People would realise this if Pixar movie tie-in's were developed by more skilled developers.
but if ya referring to how clean & smooth it is, it's CGI
CGI = Computer Generated Imagery, your console is a computer, the question is when can it create CGI which is at the same level as that which was created for Toy Story.

Nose Master said:

This has already happened.

[Nintex]

Nuts & Bolts got pretty close to the Toy Story style
14dovue.jpg

2ltjy1y.jpg

Rare nailed the "created world" look in some of the Nuts & Bolts levels.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MrPliskin said:
DennisK4 - I would actually argue that graphics are at a point where they don't need significant advancement. I would gladly take a small leap next gen with a much lower price point and an easier development process.

then why even bother having a next gen? Just stick with the latest one and squeeze more out of them.

Top Bottom