• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Traffic stop turns up cache of full auto assault rifles, 900 rounds, survival gear

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Weirdly the biggest problem with this story is that the guy may be within the law and isn’t planning anything. This is just stuff Americans buy. I’m constantly bewildered that the only thing between me and a massive deadly arsenal is a ten minute walk.

It’s like America irrationally suspected they were going to ban Crystal Pepsi tomorrow.

They found 42 serious guns in Paddock’s legal possession. There are gafers with way more than that. It’s a hobby. Almost every gafer with an arsenal is responsible and diligent. But they all made a statistical choice to become drastically less safe than anime avatars. Ignoring the vent diagram obviously.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I don't know anybody who brings more than 100 of a certain ammo to the range. And I've been shooting guns since before I could ride a bike.

Also you're full of it if 900 is '30 minutes' worth.

That'd also be about $250 for shit .223 to waste in 30 minutes.

BTW, if he's in Cali you are limited legally to 10 round mags.. so you'd either need 90 mags on hand.. ha.. or spend more than 30 minutes reloading 10 rounds mags. Also Cali banned anything but a gimped as fuck AR-15.. so yeah have fun with that.

So you aren't shooting an AR, or you are shooting an illegal or gimped AR with a 10 round mag, no pistol grip, flash suppressor, forward grip, etc.

So curious what you are shooting to hit that 900... even in under an hour.

RMI

Banned
I don't know a single gun owner who carries less than this on a day out shooting. Also, I'm a California gun owner and pretty mild by just about every measure.

I went shooting with my brother last week and we were there at the range for about an hour. I might've shot 150 rounds of .223 and maybe 10 slugs and 10 rounds of buckshot.

900 rounds in 30 minutes is a round every 2 seconds not including time to reload. So you are exaggerating or just going buck wild on the range. You do you though.

TaterTots

Banned
Posted about this in another thread. I live in TN and if the serial numbers were intact and the firearm was purchased legally, that person would of been able to drive off thanks to the castle doctrine. Not too many states allow that, so one would have to unload his firearm or even dismantle the gun before crossing some state lines.

NervousXtian

I went shooting with my brother last week and we were there at the range for about an hour. I might've shot 150 rounds of .223 and maybe 10 slugs and 10 rounds of buckshot.

900 rounds in 30 minutes is a round every 2 seconds not including time to reload. So you are exaggerating or just going buck wild on the range. You do you though.

Keep in mind, Cali restricts to 10 round mags as well.

Posted about this in another thread. I live in TN and if the serial numbers were intact and the firearm was purchased legally, that person would of been able to drive off thanks to the castle doctrine. Not too many states allow that, so one would have to unload his firearm or even dismantle the gun before crossing some state lines.

That top gun isn't pre-86.. 100% certain on that. 100% illegal.

NervousXtian

I know, I was also shooting in California.

Gotcha, just most outside California have no clue how restrictive it is there. Loading 20 round mags are a pain-in-the-ass.. but I hate reloading mags... but 10 rounds target shooting is nothing.

ru6aUMZ.gif

Holllllllllly shit. This got me.

DavidDesu

America, you're fucking insane. At least this guy is currently locked up, I honestly expected to read that after discussing things the police let him drive off with his stuff. I was all ready for a rant about civil forfeiture and how they can "arrest" inanimate objects from you if the officer feels there is intent to break the law.. guns with no serial numbers seems like someone who was going to break the law.

EDIT: And of course, it goes without saying, the minute the police found a stash of anything like this on a black guy (heck I'd imagine spotting one bullet in the vehicle) and the guy would have been gunned down, no questions asked, for posing a risk and making them "fear" for their life.

Wouldn't the first rule of transporting a large cache of illegally modified and unregistered weaponry be not to speed?

Especially if your license is suspended. Hell, he would have gotten a speeding ticket and been on his way had he not been arrested for driving with a suspended license.

hwalker84

Most likely these aren't fully automatic weapons but binary triggers. Secondly you can buy what's called 80% lowers. These are AR lowers that have no serial number because you finish the last 20% of the machining yourself.

mlclmtckr

Banned
That guy did say it was 30 minutes for him and his friends. Maybe he has like twenty friends he goes shooting with.

Or maybe it's just two dudes both with two full auto rifles akimbo just holding the triggers down and laughing maniacally

TaterTots

Banned
Keep in mind, Cali restricts to 10 round mags as well.

That top gun isn't pre-86.. 100% certain on that. 100% illegal.

I'm not privy enough to look at a firearm and know what year it was manufactured and I shouldn't have to be. Its a full automatic firearm with 900 rounds and loaded in a vehicle. Not right imo.

Damaniel

Banned
Just remember - make sure you get the nomenclature for all of those right - you might make a gun nut angry that you've confused the name for one rapid-fire killing machine with another rapid-fire killing machine.

The problem here isn't the nomenclature - it's the killing machines. Gun owners have collectively decided that their hobby outweighs the tens of thousands of deaths per year caused by the items they so tightly cling to. I'd rather talk about instituting *super* strict gun control than argue over whether some gun has a clip or mag, or what is or isn't an assault rifle (which is the type of redirection that gun owners use in place of legitimate debate).

must be nice to lunge at an arresting officer with a cache of firearms and live.

do we even know if he definitelty did something illegal other than speeding?

could get hosed just because of Vegas.

Hex

Banned
I don't know anybody who brings more than 100 of a certain ammo to the range. And I've been shooting guns since before I could ride a bike.

Also you're full of it if 900 is '30 minutes' worth.

Paintball yo, kind of the same right?
Dude has a new Timmy

traveler

Not Wario
must be nice to lunge at an arresting officer with a cache of firearms and live.

do we even know if he definitelty did something illegal other than speeding?

could get hosed just because of Vegas.

Driving with a suspended license
Possession of illegal firearms
Evading arrest
and arguably threatening cops, depending on the language used and nature of his lunge/physical resistance.

Yeah, there's a lot going on here. When I saw the headline, I assumed he was your average survivalist with some unfortunate timing, but the article certainly presents enough evidence that not everything was normal, or as normal as carrying a full arsenal in America can be.

Javaman

I think the silver one is an unregistered 80% lower. People can buy them without background checks and drill out a couple spots to make it functional.

So this dude with a cache of automatic weapons with scratched off serial numbers threatened and lunged at officers at a traffic stop and he's not shot dead? Good poise from the officers that you don't usually see. There must of been something about him that came off as really non-threatening to them. Don't know what it could have been. Maybe he was holding a lolipop? Mysteries.

Blizzard

Banned
I've taken more than this on a average day out with my friends. :/ Also, those are not sub machine guns. 900 rounds is about 30 minutes of target shooting.
Do you also take AR's modified for fully automatic fire, with no serial number or license? Because you know, that seems like a key difference otherwise. :p

*edit* I see I'm beaten to this point by like 5 other people, yet some are still suggesting this is somehow normal. Not to mention lunging at an officer asking him questions.

le.phat

"Anytime you have several firearms and several hundred rounds of ammunition in a vehicle, that always causes a concern," said Michael Knight, an ATF spokesman.

The US of A, ladies and gentlemen.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Also, can some of the gun owners on GAF at the very least have a bit more self awareness?

There's still another thread going on on the front page of the OT for a GAFer who lost their friend in the Vegas shooting!

bosseye

So this dude with a cache of automatic weapons with scratched off serial numbers threatened and lunged at officers at a traffic stop and he's not shot dead? Good poise from the officers that you don't usually see. There must of been something about him that came off as really non-threatening to them. Don't know what it could have been. Maybe he was holding a lolipop? Mysteries.

It's a dilly of a pickle alright 🤔

Just another day in America. The rest of the sane developed world looks on in bemusement.

Top Bottom