• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer: Tomb Raider Movie feat. Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft

Tosyn_88

Very difficult for the movie guys to make anything useful when the source material has identity issues. You look at the Tomb Raider reboot and it's just so "design by committee" which I'd imagine was as a result of Square Enix being corporate suits about it. It's a shame because the name has such a huge fan Base and reach that it feels like wasted potential all in the name of completing some corporate bullet point.
Crystal Dynamics lost my respect when they proved how devoid of creative common sense they are twice!!
I hope the movie does well, at least well enough not to jeopardise the careers of the actors involved.

Harlequin

A lot of people level this criticism at Luddington, but as a genuine English human, I think her TR accent sounds flawlessly English. Some Brits sound quite transatlantic; but Luddington's Lara Croft actually has a great deal fewer of those elements in her voice than many born and bred Brits.

Camilla Luddington's own, not-acting voice certainly sounds like an uneasy blend of English and West Coast American, not at all representative of anyone who spent their whole life in either country; but that never corrupts the authenticity of the English accent she uses when she performs the role in the games.

I say this as someone who is often irritated by American or Australian actors who fail to sound authentic when playing British characters - and vice versa, although I think British actors tend to be better at faking accents simply because British people grow up surrounded by far more accents than people in most other English-speaking countries. The number of accents we have throughout our tiny kingdom is utterly absurd; something I didn't realise until I moved away as an adult and realised wasn't the case anywhere else.

Honestly, English people seem to be divided on her accent. I've heard lots of English people say that they think her accent is bad/poor/terrible and I've heard lots of English people say hat it's spot-on/good/alright.

That's the same chick?

Alicia Vikander is the actress who played Ava in Ex Machina, yeah.

tci

Eh.. not sure how I feel about the trailer. Some parts are ok, others bad. Gonna go dark on this from now on and hope for the best.

The 2013 reboot ended with her picking up two pistols and shooting the bad guy.
But in the sequel she didn't use them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yea, that annoyed me a lot too. At the end I was like; Finally she is Tomb Raider. Then they announced the next game title: Rise of the Tomb Raider. WTF.

Didn't help that the game had shit story either.

Trup1aya

giphy.gif

I can't stop cringing at this. She's supposed to look and sound like a badass, but instead she looks like she anything but.

So wait... why is Lara saving humanity? Isn't she just an explorer that gets stranded on the island? Trinity isn't a god.

Right? Why don't just make her continue her father's expedition without "saving the world" part and Trinity?

The games had Trinity because there has to be a huge militia group for the endless combat encounters to make sense in a video game.

The movie doesn't need that! I think the movie should've been about Lara surviving the wilderness, exploring the area, and dealing with animals like bears. Ok maybe she meets few bad people along the way but why Trinity and saving the world?

Harlequin

Right? Why don't just make her continue her father's expedition without "saving the world" part and Trinity?

The games had Trinity because there has to be a huge militia group for the endless combat encounters to make sense in a video game.

The movie doesn't need that! I think the movie should've been about Lara surviving the wilderness, exploring the area, and dealing with animals like bears. Ok maybe she meets few bad people along the way but why Trinity and saving the world?

They should've taken the "my daddy was an adventurer who went missing" BS out, too, while they were at it.

Diancecht

#notmylaracroft

But seriously, if they are trying to keep it close to the games, why not use Camilla Luddington who voiced the new games and is a good actress? I believe they also modeled the face and body after her as well as doing all the mocap for the character.

I'd also love to have Camilla as LC but she is NOWHERE near Vikander in terms of Holywood bankability.

um, they mostly sorta gave the movie away - showcasing a lot of set piece events in the movie.

What movie is she an academy award winner for?

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Looks terrible imo. Also what is it with trailers showing the whole movies main beats in trailers... I'll probably watch it if it ever comes to Netflix just to see how bad it was.

Kyoufu

Looks better than I expected from a video game movie tbh. Not that it's saying much.

What annoys me is the reactions from nerds who think Alicia Vikander isn't busty enough for the role, smh. She'll probably be the best thing about this film.

Looks better than I expected from a video game movie tbh. Not that it's saying much.

What annoys me is the reactions from nerds who think Alicia Vikander isn't busty enough for the role, smh. She'll probably be the best thing about this film.

Especially when the games are extremely weak from a narrative standpoint, like... it's almost impossible for the movie to have a worst plot.

After yesteday tease I expected the trailer to be really bad, it's not good but at least doesn't look offensive.

The only way this could have looked more generic and cliched is if after she starts a big jump you hear a record skip and Lara breaks into a, "Yup, that's me. You might be wondering how I got here..."

And the "I'll take two" line is just horrible acting. I've never seen Alicia Vikander in anything and this trailer makes me not regret it.

Maybe after I Redbox it I'll change my tune but currently this doesn't even seem like it's worth a Movie Pass trip.

Jedi2016

I get the strange feeling I've seen this story somewhere before...

Which reminds me, I need to pick up ROTR in the Humble sale this month.

Not a fan of the actress so far. I was going to say she looked to young to be Laura but she's 28.

I can't stop cringing at this. She's supposed to look and sound like a badass, but instead she looks like she anything but.

Yeah, she's not selling it very well.

I would love to see Charlize Theron here.

yunbuns

So wait... why is Lara saving humanity? Isn't she just an explorer that gets stranded on the island? Trinity isn't a god.

They're basically combining the first and the second game into one film. ROTR spoilers:
Rise deals a lot more with Trinity and at the end, Lara swears she's going to stop them because she's the only one who can. Basically they're dialing that up to 11.

The only positive thing I guess I can say is usually great trailer = bad movie, so maybe a meh trailer means good movie! Right?

I do feel legit bad that Naughty Dog can't seem to get any traction on its movies,The Last of Us or Uncharted would really make for great movies. Tomb Raider just feels like its gonna be another completely forgettable video game movie, I guess the only debate will be - is it gonna be better or worse than Assassin's Creed?

Peroroncino

Well that trailer certainly didn't win me over... also, that actress doesn't really sit with me well as Lara Croft, at least physically, she seems way too petite for the role [and I'm not talkin' about the lack of giant triangle boobs].

Well that trailer certainly didn't win me over... also, that actress doesn't really sit with me well as Lara Croft, at least physically, she seems way too petite for the role [and I'm not talkin' about the lack of giant triangle boobs].

She looks perfect as Lara IMO. She's also ripped af!

BasilZero

Hmmm. The first one was okay.

Havent really played any of the games yet but I'll check this one out sometime in the future, not a the big box office but bluray I guess.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Funny how back in the day Nathan Fillion was such a popular fancasting choice for Nathan Drake, considering he's kind of homely. But he had the charm and swagger down, so it didn't really matter than the's not a particularly handsome man.

Nathan Fillion is homely? wtf

Funny how back in the day Nathan Fillion was such a popular fancasting choice for Nathan Drake, considering he's kind of homely. But he had the charm and swagger down, so it didn't really matter than the's not a particularly handsome man.

Did you just say Nathan Fillion is not handsome? :O

Top Bottom