• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trans Players Upset at Forza Horizon 5's Deadnaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Ok, I have to point out that you can go into the menu and change the name to whatever you want, you don't have to reset your game or change your account or anything like that.

That said, they really should confirm the name when you start, because it's super fucking creepy to have it just talking to you and saying your name.

Kuranghi

Holy shit I'm going to change mine to Chantelle for a laugh.

*robot voice* "wELCome cHAnTElle"

Me: *grins like a moron*

T8SC

63f.jpg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Ffs get over yourselves, whatever concessions they make to be more inclusive it's never enough or twisted to be against.

Why do you seem so upset about this? This issue clearly doesn't or would never affect you, so why so mad?

Kuranghi

Lets turn this into thread where we assign stereotyped comedy names to each GAF user that they must change to if it gets at least 10 reactions.

I've already changed mine to Sandra.

We need a threat so there's more to focus on. We've gotten too soft.

Yeah exactly, where's that (Paul Verhoeven's) Starship Troopers esque made up alien threat at to keep us busy:

Propagandists: "The bugs launched an asteroid at the Earth!"
A moron: "We must go to war!"
A critical-thinking person: "Oh thats terrible of them... wait a minute... how the hell did some bugs do that, they don't even have thumbs, let alone a space program!"

SenkiDala

I am all for inclusivity, really, we have to really put ourselves in question to let people from some minorities have fun and help them to be able to have fun in as much way as we can.

But on this exact situation the trans person is quite stupid. 1st : if his/her deadname is such a bad memory for him/her, why he/she didn't change it in his/her account ? 2 nd : you can change your name to whatever you want after 10 minutes of game. This person is pretty stupid.

I can understand a bit their feeling, my real name is Johan, I live in France and in here we say "Jo" little bit like "Joe" but my name is pronounced Yohan, because it comes from an Austrian name and in Austria we pronounce J like a Y. I'm 38yo and I spent all my life saying to people "it's pronounced Yohan" when they're making the mistake, and it's ok... You can't expect people to guess it, as you can't expect FH5 to guess your new name if you didn't put it on your account. I play FH5 and YES again the game mispronounced my name so yes I had to correct it, it's ok, I'm ok.

McCheese

microsoft should absolutely make it possible to change the name on your account, there are plenty of good reasons why someone needs to hide their old identity.

not sure why this is a forza issue, even if it did let you override the name that’s a plaster over the problem rather than a proper fix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
A trans person's old name...
But if they don't change their account name then what do they expect.

You can pick actual names in the game. It never said my name at the beginning as have a different spelling than usual. The game had a different spelling but pronounced the same. I chose it and all was good.

Kuranghi

It takes a couple of cunts like this for the entire trans community to be not taking seriously.

Hope MS ignores this bullshit

I think its almost too late for the damage to be reversed, which is awful really. Most trans people are just living their lives as their preferred gender and don't want to be bothered (like most gay people, not the <1% that go to pride parades) by all this stupid bullshit.

The most ridiculous shit I've seen in some time. They're the ones who put that name on their accounts. But get mad at the game. Game doesn't automatically know if you're Trans or not. The game even shows you that you can change what the game calls you in the game. So silly.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why haven't you already changed your name on your account if this is such a big deal to you? And why would it even offend you that a GAME takes that name from your account in an attempt to be more personal? It's not like it's a person knowingly doing it to your face.

The things people get upset about...

reforen

The game calls you by the name on your account, this players should update all their accounts before complaining

mejin

"I Quit The Game Immediately"​

Many returning Forza players were surprised when Forza Horizon 5 greeted them by name. The game pulls it from your Microsoft account so that it can properly say 'Hello'. However, for some trans players, this feature has led to the game deadnaming them - a painful experience.

"I was pretty shocked," one player, who asked to remain anonymous, told me. "I enjoyed the intro sequence and was having a lot of fun, but hearing the announcer call out my deadname completely blindsided me. I quit the game immediately and was close to just refunding it on Steam.

"I really wanted to play with my friends, so I cooled down a bit and spent an hour trying to figure out how to reset my save to remove any chance of it deadnaming me again. I just wanted to reset my save so my deadname wasn't on it. I changed my name in my Microsoft account to something it couldn't voice and tried playing the game again as normal after resetting my save."

Doing this led to the bug appearing. Now, the game calls them by the name of the last NPC they spoke to. "The game didn't handle it gracefully, I guess. Doesn't seem to affect gameplay at all, so I'm fine with it."

For the player who ended up restarting their game, it just takes the shine off it. "I'm really disappointed that they messed up something so basic but crucial to many people's enjoyment of the game."

images

nikos

This guy needs to get a grip.

One of the first things the game asks you to do is choose a name/nickname to be addressed by. There are a ton of them.

levyjl1988

Banned
I’m sick of all these trans people complaining about stupid shit because their feelings got hurt. Honestly they need to grow a fucking spine, they are not going to survive in this world like that and honestly we as a society shouldn’t pander to such annoying bullshit. There are more serious and concerning issues happening in this world, but we stop to give this attention whore time from our day to focus on such trivial shit. Sick of woke culture bs.

Derktron

Banned
I truly wish I was them where I would have the time to worry about things that are far less important. --- I envy people like them

Kataploom

Gold Member
LMAO what can they do about it? They won't know if someone changed their name lol... I mean, they can't spy on us just to know just to avoid offend someone... right?...

Fox Mulder

What a joke.

This game already bent over to be inclusive, but MS and anyone else is supposed to just magically know your chosen name and gender pronouns that day too.

Changing your Xbox account information can be done faster than changing genders.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It must be nice to have a life so easy that you can get offended by simple shit like that.I think that when you put yourself in marge of the society you can't expect said soxciety to cater to all your needs.When I say in marge I mean that 99% of society is cisgender do you honestly want every game/movie/book/media to cater to the needs of all the <1% of society?
Fuck color TV because thee are colorblind people that can get offended, fuck controller because some people have cerebral palsy or miss a hand,Fuck most sports there are handicapped people in the world that might get offended...
Well guess what I am handicapped and have played games with a dude that lost one of his hand (he was controlling the game with one hand and his chin) and guess who never complained once about his real roblem and not how a game was mean to him.And the best part he would wreck most o us on fps.
So maybe sometime stop crying because there are words that you don't like and maybe learn to grow up and not get affected by them, show that you have a brain and not just hatred.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Pretty soon every time you log into your MS account you’ll get a message:

“has your name or gender changed since last time you logged in? Please update your preferred name and pronouns on your profile page.”

Remember folks, you should never assume someone’s gender. And that also means you shouldn’t assume their gender is the same as the last time you spoke to them.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

If Brokeisha Lesnar don't get the fuck outta here with this bullshit. Sick of these people man.

It's a fucking racing game you psychopath! What the fuck, lol.

crozier

You named yourself when Microsoft asked for your name. PERIOD. Should we now remove all instances where your name is recited for fear you changed your mind?

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Hi im bi and my wife is trans. Wtf is a deadname? Also, I'm tired of these assholes speaking on my behalf. One reason the left pisses me off is they think they speak for me on all accounts of being LGBT.

This would not bother us in the slightest.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Told yah. Doing this is 100% backfire garanted, aways.

And for those who think its just one person, don't worry. It aways starts with one.

Last edited:
What the fuck is a dead name?
Like wise, The fuck did I miss? How can a name be dead if it's just a word?

Lol it literally calls you by the name you picked in Horizon 4 tho right?

Yeah Mine calls me 'Chump' and I don't kick off about it. I find that shit funny :D

On Topic though. If someone is fully committed to be trans yet lazy enough to NOT bother update their online account details is just asking to get their jimmies rustled :D

Last edited:
This is why you just focus on making a game you want to make and leave out all the 'inclusivity' stuff. Because it will never be enough for the extremists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom