• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transcendence, featuring Johnny Depp and Rebecca Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mairu

Should I check this out GAF? I didn't see anything for this movie until I saw the trailer for the first time when I saw Captain America a few weeks ago, and even then it didn't grab me.

Sure I can see it for free, but is it worth my time?

Fuck no this movie was garbage. I knew the RT was low but I still wanted to see it anyways, what a waste of an interesting idea.
I think that was the twist. I haven't watched it, but I did read the script.

You're supposed to be rooting for the humans throughout the film until you realize the AI was right all along, and the HUMANS are the real villains here, because they turned down the AI's gifts and started all the violence purely out of fear. Apparently the script goes as far as pointing out how the AI killed no one during the fighting.

I guess the movie did a shitty job of this.

They don't really give you a reason to root for the humans during any point of the movie. Most of the main characters' motivations don't really make any sense and when they switch sides it makes even less sense other than 'technology is scary'

Zaptruder

Banned
So now that I've watched this movie...

It's not nearly as bad as the ratings seem to suggest IMO.

Why did it go so pear shape for people?

Is it because the protagonist seems to flip back and forth?

I personally liked that; the depp enhanced AI never faltered in its goal and reasoning, nor in its expression in the movie. It's what the humans and by extension the audience read into it; their own ill-intentions and their own fear that turns the whole thing pear shaped. Even his wife for whom he does it all comes to doubt and fear as is human to do, and destroy - but in the end gaining nothing, really, losing much for it.

Of course, whenever you deal with superintelligences, there's room for cargo ships to pass through the gaps of the logic; it'd be unfair to think that a global spanning super intelligence wouldn't account for and predict with contigency plans the reaction of humans to its plans - and that part of its significant efforts would be in a whole sale media campaign to convince people of this direction of life.

But then the greater point of fear and mistrust and the possibilities that lie beyond it would be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom