• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Emilie isn't for a GAF name, I really love it and it's the name I want to change to right now. Of course I've got a lot of time to think about it because I might wait until after college to do anything.
I think Emilie is a pretty name. :)
Why is it easier to come up with an entirely new name than to think of a new username?

:<
Usernames require more creativity, since with names it's okay to have the same one as someone else. Also names have been filtered for generations, so there is a good chance of finding an appealing one quickly.

Platy

Who are you, and why are you wearing Billychu's avatar?

RRVZQ.jpg

Emitan

One of the people who run the site is the person who recorded our panel at PAX East. She was also part of the (very good) panel about the harassment female gamers get online.

I think you posted a link to the PAX panel in here somewhere, I need to watch it.

One of my friends loves Halo and she keeps getting creepy messages :/

Emitan

I'm kind of glad that I don't play online multiplayer, sucks for those that do though. Can't she limit messages to friends only?

I'm not sure. She doesn't have XBL Gold anymore anyway. I hope she renews for Halo 4 co-op.

PublicEmilieNo1 (public enemy number one)

Subprime

I was wondering how ubiquitous the genital aspect of reassignment surgery is. Its always seemed to me looking in from the outside as fruitless, given that it doen't really produce a completely functional piece of machinery (not to put it too calously), though I imagine less so for MTF than FTM. I don't exactly understand the motivation to do it.

Emitan

I was wondering how ubiquitous the genital aspect of reassignment surgery is. Its always seemed to me looking in from the outside as fruitless, given that it doen't really produce a completely functional piece of machinery (not to put it too calously), though I imagine less so for MTF than FTM. I don't exactly understand the motivation to do it.

I've heard some pretty good things about artificial vaginas.

And the motivation is "mentally, inside, I'm a women. I want my body to reflect that". At least, that's what it is for me.

mollipen

There's a wide variety of reasons, but let me hit on the one that's probably the most understandable. Let's say you buy a "fix 'er upper" house. You know it's going to be an awesome house someday, but in front of huge is a huge, daunting task—actually putting in the time, energy, and effort to fix it up.

At first, any progress you make feels great. Got the wiring redone? Awesome! Pull up the disgusting old carpeting to make way for the beautiful hardwood floors hiding underneath, and get them restored? Amazing! Every little accomplishment is one step closer to having the house of your dreams.

The further you get along, however, the less each of those small steps makes you happy—instead, what you now care about most is just getting everything done so that you can finally have the house you've been waiting for so long to have.

For some people, SRS is like having the house totally finished—except for the master bathroom, which is still completely in shambles and which hasn't even been started. It's that final step to being done; that last thing that isn't the way you want it, and with the rest of the house looking so great, it's the thing that torments you every time you see it.

So, part of it is that—it's that last reminder of what you were, and that last step to be taken before you can finally be who it is you're supposed to be.

It can be other things too. Some people just hate having whatever it is they've got down there from the start, and just want it gone. Some want to get closer to the point where they can find pleasure in sex, which they couldn't before due to the embarrassment of having what they had from birth, or not having what they need in order to fill the role in sex they wish to fill. Also, at least for MTF, as has been brought up many times in this thread, you might be surprised at what modern science can do. Trans women can have vaginas that not only look God-given, but which also provide them sexual pleasure. (Trans men, unfortunately, still have a long way to go from what I understand.)

Emitan

I really like that, Shidoshi!

So, part of it is that&#8212;it's that last reminder of what you were, and that last step to be taken before you can finally be who it is you're supposed to be.

Yup.

Platy

(Trans men, unfortunately, still have a long way to go from what I understand.)

As I said before, Trans men HAVE a surgery that looks and function as perfect as the real one ... the problem is that the results are MUCH smaller than average... and this for most men is worst than having a vagina =P

The other option looks good and can be as big as the owner want, but need to have some pumping machine to work.

The bonus ?

YOU control the erection.
When you want, for how much time you want.

Some people say it is a curse, some say it is a blessing =P

Blackheim

Popping in to post a music artist who is transgender who made the announcement maybe 2 years back, can't remember. Keith Mina Caputo, awesome awesome singer that used to sing for Life of Agony and has an ongoing solo career. Saw this thread and news that a new video was released so I figured I'd make a post :D

Music video: Silver Candy

Excerpts from an interview from Advocate.com:
Mina said:
Mina stated about how becoming a "rock star" delayed her transition, "I was very boxed in that metal thing," she said. "The first album I've ever done was released and then it pretty much exploded in Europe and I kind of had no choice but to leave school. I didn't want to sing in a band. That wasn't really what I set out to do. I wanted to go to Julliard. I wanted to play the classics, get good grades… and I pictured myself living more of a feminine life then at 19 when this whole alpha male world just pretty much took over. I was in hell for years. . . It was more of a sense of responsibility and not getting labels down… the management, the band, and the fans. And I mean, we were a really, really really, really big band. We were doing concerts in Europe where 60 to 100 thousand people were showing up."

When asked whether she plans on having bottom surgery any time soon, Caputo said, "The whole penis… I'm OK with that down there, you know. Most people don't realize that there's more to being a woman than just, I guess, putting on dresses and wearing makeup and your genitals. [People think] you have a male body and a penis so that makes you the man. But they can't dig deep enough unless they really want to understand what's going on in the subconscious mind and what I like to call subconscious sex."

On the topic of how she's already faced discrimination Stateside, Caputo said, "I've had run-ins on the train, ignorant people, you know, calling me 'he-she' or 'he-man.' If anyone tries to screw with me, I will not hesitate to cut somebody up like a piece of meat. I will do anything and everything to protect myself. I mean I don't want to hurt anybody but if someone lays their hands on me, I'm going to shank somebody. My father's been in prison his whole life, so just because I'm wearing a skirt doesn't mean I don't got big balls, OK? Because I will not hesitate to do anything and everything to protect myself."

Love Caputo. I've been listening to her music since '93 and when she revealed her transgenderism ... it wasn't much of a surprise, hah as I had met her a few times in '94-'96 and hung out a bit. Super nice person and extremely appreciative of the things she has and is given.

Oh also, a congratulations and good luck to BillieChu :D

It's not fully functional for the person, as such (though still pretty good condering).
It's more for your own state of being. And your partners.

Top Bottom