• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Platy

You can have my wavy hair

TFbvL.gif

PFLDk.jpg

No seriously. Is there gaydar for trans people?

Sup Billy. What? I've lurked this thread since way back >_> Anyhow, I kinda got that vibe from you from time to time in the IRC room lol. I think the part that made me question it was when we were talking about Aigis and you said something along the lines of, "I wouldn't mind it at all if I were to wake up and be a girl". That was when I was like... I wonder if he's trans... Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in finding yourself friendo. KS GAF will be rooting you on :D

Sup Billy. What? I've lurked this thread since way back >_> Anyhow, I kinda got that vibe from you from time to time in the IRC room lol. I think the part that made me question it was when we were talking about Aigis and you said something along the lines of, "I wouldn't mind it at all if I were to wake up and be a girl". That was when I was like... I wonder if he's trans... Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in finding yourself friendo. KS GAF will be rooting you on :D
So you knew I was trans this whole time? >_>

mollipen

Peter Sprigg, senior fellow for policy studies at the Washington-based Family Research Council, said the EEOC's decision is misinterpreting Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.

"Those who are discriminated against because they are transgender are not discriminated because they are male or female, it is because they are pretending to be the opposite of what they really are, which is quite a different matter," he said.

I'm really tired of discriminatory groups stealing use of the world "family". More pro-diversity, pro-equality groups need to start calling themselves the "Family Something" or "Something Family Council".

I also love how he couldn't help but get that little "pretending" jab in there.

I'm really tired of discriminatory groups stealing use of the world "family". More pro-diversity, pro-equality groups need to start calling themselves the "Family Something" or "Something Family Council".

I also love how he couldn't help but get that little "pretending" jab in there.
I must have missed that lovely quote. *rages*

Welcome to how 95% of the world thinks. (At least it seems that way.)

I'm quite sure many of my outwardly supportive relatives and school friends think I'm pretending to be the opposite of what I really am. This is why I don't go around telling people I'm transsexual in the real world.

tearsofash

I need your insight! Tonight my pal referred to my friend as the wrong gender pronoun and I was uncertain as how to approach correcting him. I don't wanna be a dick.

Jintor

"She prefers to be referred to as a she" or vice-versa? If your friend is your friend, shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Just you know... don't do it in front of other people. Take them aside and tell 'em.

Anyway, here's the relevant section of Title VII:

(k) The terms “because of sex” or “on the basis of sex” include, but are not limited to, because of or on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions; and women affected by pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions shall be treated the same for all employment-­related purposes, including receipt of benefits under fringe benefit programs, as other persons not so affected but similar in their ability or inability to work, and nothing in section 2000e-2(h) of this title [section 703(h)] shall be interpreted to permit otherwise. This subsection shall not require an employer to pay for health insurance benefits for abortion, except where the life of the mother would be endangered if the fetus were carried to term, or except where medical complications have arisen from an abortion: Provided, That nothing herein shall preclude an employer from providing abortion benefits or otherwise affect bargaining agreements in regard to abortion.

The rest of the wording uses the language "discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex and national origin", so the definition would lie in the definition of 'sex' or 'on the basis of sex'. Given that it's an 'include but not limited to', that means that the definition is not absolute and that it can also be understood under its natural meaning. So the primary point of contention seems to be whether or not trans-persons are discriminated against on the basis of sex. Now, the Family Research Council's position appears to be that there are only two genders, but under a reasonable viewing of those words that definition would appear to be stupid as hell.

People keep giving idiots on soapboxes platforms to spew their vitriol under some crazy misinterpretation of 'fair representation'. It's nonsense. If people were for discrimination based on alternate national/racial identities they'd get laughed out of town.

Platy

OR ...out of nowhere, starts refering to your friend with the wrong gender. When he/she asks why, you explain

Not the most effective, but for sure the most fun way xD

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
If it's contagious, who infected you?

E-contagious. Much like The Gay.

I mean, I was straight as a whistle before I started hanging out on GAF. Now I don't even know what the fuck's goin' on.

Edit: I only just now realised that "straight as a whistle" doesn't make any bloody sense. Durrrr

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
So. I told my manager I wanted to get the team at work together so we can discuss the whole trans thing a bit. The four of us get over to the conference room, close the door... and my coworker starts talking about how he's given his two-week notice. Apparently there was a meeting planned anyway!

So my manager's having a kid, my coworker's leaving, I'm out as trans.... I feel bad for the fourth on our team, he's got nothing. XD

Emitan

So. I told my manager I wanted to get the team at work together so we can discuss the whole trans thing a bit. The four of us get over to the conference room, close the door... and my coworker starts talking about how he's given his two-week notice. Apparently there was a meeting planned anyway!

So my manager's having a kid, my coworker's leaving, I'm out as trans.... I feel bad for the fourth on our team, he's got nothing. XD

He's Batman.

usea

Welcome to how 95% of the world thinks. (At least it seems that way.)

I'm quite sure many of my outwardly supportive relatives and school friends think I'm pretending to be the opposite of what I really am. This is why I don't go around telling people I'm transsexual in the real world.
You might be surprised. There are tons of us out there who support our friends and family, that you might not realize because we are not often outspoken. Don't let the haters give you the impression that the world is a cold place. I mean, yeah OK it's a cold place. But there is warmth if you look for it!

sophora

You might be surprised. There are tons of us out there who support our friends and family, that you might not realize because we are not often outspoken. Don't let the haters give you the impression that the world is a cold place. I mean, yeah OK it's a cold place. But there is warmth if you look for it!

Tried to look for it, turns out my local LGBT center's lease was up and they had to leave their location back in December. I don't know what to do, would be nice to speak to a counselor or someone about this. *sigh*

Platy

On a related note, it always impresses me how much people read "Paty" from my nick ...

edit :
Considering how much people knew you are a girl ... are you sure that the name chance is really necessary ?

On a related note, it always impresses me how much people read "Paty" from my nick ...

edit :
Considering how much people knew you are a girl ... are you sure that the name chance is really necessary ?
Well, Billy is almost always a boy's name. Billie is the girl equivalent.
Yeah, maybe. Its just that I want consistency everywhere. I can't think of any good names though :(

EDIT: Feminine name is probably better because that's what I would want anyway.
Coming up with a username is hard. I'm just glad that it didn't take me too long to come up with mine.

iirate

Well, Billy is almost always a boy's name. Billie is the girl equivalent.

Coming up with a username is hard. I'm just glad that it didn't take me too long to come up with mine.

Yep. I'm by no means satisfied with my own (my name is more of an inside reference/wordplay and doesn't really describe me), but at least it's nice and gender neutral. =D

Emitan

Billiechu...how's everything going?

I still haven't really told people other than internet friends (everyone has been supportive except for one person, but they're kind of dumb so I'm just ignoring it). I guess things are the same? I don't know, I just feel happy.

Pollux

I still haven't really told people other than internet friends (everyone has been supportive except for one person, but they're kind of dumb so I'm just ignoring it). I guess things are the same? I don't know, I just feel happy.

Well, I'm happy for ya. And things aren't the same...you're happy now and you seem to be much more at peace with yourself (don't take that the wrong way). Keep on keepin on!!!

Platy

When possible, i'm always in favor of just the female version of the name ... so my vote goes to Billiechu

Will be so subliminal that most people will think that it was always there

lexi

Banned
I've switched to just using that in IRC. Maybe I'll keep it.

hopes a mod changes her tag to LesbianRevengeance

Is there an 'actual' name that you have in mind? Are you set on that? Maybe a username you're happy with will follow. I'm a bad example though.

Emitan

When I was beta testing The Old Republic I used the name Emilie a lot and I really liked it. I should write that down as a potential name.

mollipen

I'm never one for arbitrary user name changes. Give it a decent amount of thought before you pick one, and don't pick one that's any sort of fad (and thus you'll hate in six months).

I also hate the idea of just going with a girl version of my boy name, but that's just me, and partially because I so dislike my boy name. *heh* My advice is trying a lot of names in different scenarios, and seeing if you end up connecting with one. The name that I decided on was a name I never thought I'd use as a consideration—something about it just ended up clicking with me.

Emitan

I'm never one for arbitrary user name changes. Give it a decent amount of thought before you pick one, and don't pick one that's any sort of fad (and thus you'll hate in six months).

I also hate the idea of just going with a girl version of my boy name, but that's just me, and partially because I so dislike my boy name. *heh* My advice is trying a lot of names in different scenarios, and seeing if you end up connecting with one. The name that I decided on was a name I never thought I'd use as a consideration—something about it just ended up clicking with me.

Emilie isn't for a GAF name, I really love it and it's the name I want to change to right now. Of course I've got a lot of time to think about it because I might wait until after college to do anything.

mollipen

Emilie isn't for a GAF name, I really love it and it's the name I want to change to right now. Of course I've got a lot of time to think about it because I might wait until after college to do anything.

Yeah, I kind of combined conversations about both together—online nicknames/handles, and real names. Both I think deserve decent consideration, but especially a real name.

Top Bottom