• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender journalist at EG Expo called "this person" on stage at MS event (See OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
f50928bec271bb75dcf758b76381257c.jpeg

OK.

So....was the presenter not aware she was a male at birth and still looks like one but prefers to be called a women?

Or was the presenter aware, and just being a dickhead?

I need some context here? Is there a video of this?

What's the story behind it?

After seeing this picture i have no issue with the comedian calling her "he". She looks like a man with a colorful wig, anyone could make that mistake. And how can you complain about the professionalism of someone when you are wearing a rainbow wig?

Ok now i see the other side of the story and that sounds more plausible than what was initially presented and the fact that someone from this thread was there and saw the whole things confirms this person is just trying to sensationalize a non-story.

thumb

Banned
As a side question, I'm a little unclear on the context. Were journalists taking part in a giveaway from Microsoft? That's a little weird unto itself.

Christ, she even admits it wasnt done intentionally. Maybe if you didnt dress like a candy kid at an Expo that youre supposedly attending professionally, maybe you wouldnt have received jokes about how YOU WERE DRESSED.

This entire thing has nothing to do with her being trans, and everything to do with her overreacting.

You know what always helps in conversations about gender identity and not objectifying people? Bringing up how they're dressed. Yes, that is definitely a good idea.

Social

After seeing this picture i have no issue with the comedian calling her "he". She looks like a man with a colorful wig, anyone could make that mistake.

Also the comedian could have been saying "it" to make fun of how absurd that getup looks on a man.

Bingo

Whompa

This entire thing has nothing to do with her being trans

Really? So like, none of his tweets are in any way related to her being transgender?

Keep choking on tranny dick while trying to say I'm wrong, brainwashed faggot

Cry more you mentally ill faggot

Shut up faggot, cry more

Dude cry more you fucking faggot, seriously if you look like a freak and act like one then people will treat you like one.

Crybaby faggot what did you get bullied too much in high school and thought if you cut your dick off it'd all go away? LOL

Fuck off mentally ill tranny, stop trying to push your feminist, fag and tranny agenda on gamers we don't care.

It just goes on and on...these are horrible. Inexcusable.

edit: Updated
Actually it happened the moment you thought cutting your dick off and wearing a rainbow wig made you a woman.

This guy needs to never EVER get a stage to talk on, ever.

Jobbs

Banned
If it's true that a transgender woman was called "he" on purpose, or, even worse, called "it" -- I'm kinda shocked. If this is the actual story then heads should roll somewhere.

And WTF @ those tweets. Holy shit. What's wrong with people.

Incredibly poor taste on the comedians part.

But man.... MS couldn't catch a break even if they had some kind of giant break catching glove.

If it's true that a transgender woman was called "he" on purpose, or, even worse, called "it" -- I'm kinda shocked. If this is the actual story then heads should roll somewhere.
Which is why we should wait until the whole story comes out?

Her Twitter feed is another story. Holy shit.

baphomet

You know what always helps in conversations about gender identity and not objectifying people? Bringing up how they're dressed. Yes, that is definitely a good idea.

Lol, no one there knew that she wanted to be referred to as a woman. How they fuck would they?

Sounds like the other side is in full back-peddling mode. Someone must have recorded this though, right?

But we don't know that. People took Laura at her word without questioning it, but when it's the other side? "uh-uh they're b-backpeddling right!?!"

I doubt he'd risk lying and screwing up his career by outright calling someone a liar when 350 odd people were there that could call him out on it.

"it's obviously her own fault, i mean look at what she was wearing!"

do people here even read their own posts?

Lol, it sounds like youre trying to draw a false equivalency to the similar rape argument.

The difference here is that what she was wearing has nothing to do with her gender; if the joke was about her being a brony, then its fair game.

paolo11

I'm pretty convinced that anyone who actually takes time out to do this has to be a repressed homosexual that is desperately trying to convince themselves that they are straight.

Imagine if Laura plays CoD on Xbox live with a bunch of trash talking gamers.

Damn, Internet freedom of speech is getting out of hand. I'm just happy Neogaf does not tolerate this extreme hate attitude.

DirtyLarry

This entire industry needs a reset button. It needs education about individual respect and gender issues. Not just Microsoft, not just Penny Arcade, the entire industry. People - and even on this very forum - need to take a hard look from a perspective that isn't their own.
Let us not pretend that society on a whole is any better than the industry, and as such the industry is really just a further extension of society itself.

My point being so it is not misconstrued at all, I think society needs a reset button, not just the industry.

Now with that said, I have always been a person who believes there are two sides to every story. So although this seems like a very cut-n-dry case of obvious wrongdoing, I personally would love it if the mob had the ability to wait until all facts are presented.

This is one of the largest issues with the instant communication that the internet has introduced to our daily lives. It is much to easy to react to things without knowing all the details, and by the time those details to arrive, it is already much to late, as they are buried in the initial reaction.

Now again, I feel I have to clarify just in case someone wants to try and twist my words, under no situation is it acceptable to me to make fun of someone for their own choice in sexual orientation. I am however saying there are always two sides to every story, and it seems like everyone has their mind already made up without knowing the second side of this story. And believe me, that second side very well may not make a bit of difference, I am just saying in a perfect world I would love it if people could wait to hear it before declaring vengeance.

I didn't read fully but was the announcer calling the tranny "it" because he wanted to play it safe or was he making an intentional slur?

Because the distinction is kinda important.

Really? So like, none of his tweets are in any way related to her being transgender?

The fact you think they're the tweets of the comedian is absolutely hilarious. They're the abuse given to her on TWITTER by people who have heard about this story. Shame you were too busy reacting to bother with actually checking the facts though.

Probably because this was an event on stage in front of a few hundred people.

Why is that in her favour and not his? What? That's a complete non-sequitur.

jett

D-Member
Well the host denies calling her "it", but he admits his wrongdoing at least. Reading both sides I'm not sure there was excessive malice from him.

Those tweets can't possibly be from the host.

edit: figures.

i think it's far more reasonable to be dressed in a rainbow wig AT A VIDEOGAMES EXPO than to want to do a standup comedy routine at one.

and while i agree MS needs to take some of this fault, there doesn't leave the comedian off the hook. he should have known who was coming out there (at least a name) and should have realized "hmm im at a videogame expo, not on stage doing an act".

Zornack

I didn't read fully but was the announcer calling the tranny "it" because he wanted to play it safe or was he making an intentional slur?

He says he never called her "it."

http://www.purexbox.com/news/2013/09/exclusive_xbox_one_stage_show_twitter_storm_kicks_off

Mr. Millward stated that he agreed that he referred to Miss Dale as "this person" as with all the furore of dealing with 350 or so baying fans and trying to run a stage show, he didn't instantly recognise her gender. He states that "I should have said 'this person' and then gone on to the next person and also referred to them as 'this person' so as not to cause offence, but I was thinking on my feet. I wouldn't do the same thing again."

Faustek

ok sorry, but I only made it to the fifth page before I felt I wanted to add this absurd observation, take it as a question.

Warning I talk about Hitler in a really stupid fashion.

Did Hitler actually do anything wrong?
I mean come on, no one of us was there to feel the mood, right?
No one of us saw how the Jewish/homosexuals and everyone else he gathered in the camps reacted? I mean it's really important, right?

BS, don't ever try to apologize for this sort of thing. It really just makes you look really really sad. It's not up to you to decide for people to keep calm, I actually advocate dogpiling the dude, now and probably next time he comes up for air.

And for you that perhaps don't get it, imagine being poked with a toothpick, softly, it doesn't hurt at all at first. Now try poking the same place over and over, only stop when you have to sleep and then you have another person poking you so you dream about being poked with that toothpick. Sounds fun doesn't it?

No wonder people "overreact" about one "silly" comment right? When in fact this may have been the thousand one made to her person.

You do realise the word 'tranny' is pretty much the sort of derogatory term that's the problem here, right?

Lol, it sounds like youre trying to draw a false equivalency to the similar rape argument.

The difference here is that what she was wearing has nothing to do with her gender; if the joke was about her being a brony, then its fair game.

I believe that response was more in regards to the statement that she wasn't dressed in a sufficiently feminine manner to be recognized as a woman, which is an enormous can of worms that belongs somewhere in off-topic land, because it's entirely tangential to this subject and too large to tackle reasonably.

I don't believe it's actually been said if she was dressed "like a brony" at the event or not. If she's as lazy about updating profile pictures as I am, that could easily be from a year ago or more.

why is he believable when she isn't?
Oh FFS, that's not what people mean. Stop being so indignant. It is very possible that this situation has been misrepresented... WE DON'T KNOW. Either side could be lying at this point. My sympathies lie with her, if she feels that she was targeted, but that doesn't mean she didn't misinterpret what was said. I'm an innocent until proven guilty guy, so I will wait before I condemn the comedian to hell, thanks.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't read fully but was the announcer calling the [word] "it" because he wanted to play it safe or was he making an intentional slur?

I would change that to something else. Really, anything.

As a side question, I'm a little unclear on the context. Were journalists taking part in a giveaway from Microsoft? That's a little weird unto itself.

I hadn't though about that .... not very professional.

But then again.... it is gaming journalism ..... aka not real journalism. Let's not kid ourself.

Because that dude is acting like an homophobic and transphobic ass.

You what? How is he? He explained himself already.

Mr. Millward stated that he agreed that he referred to Miss Dale as "this person" as with all the furore of dealing with 350 or so baying fans and trying to run a stage show, he didn't instantly recognise her gender. He states that "I should have said 'this person' and then gone on to the next person and also referred to them as 'this person' so as not to cause offence, but I was thinking on my feet. I wouldn't do the same thing again."
In direct response to the following tweet, though, Mr. Millward was a little more defensive in his comments.

"Staff apologised to her, but every single part of the first sentence of that tweet is made up. We called for more women so as to balance things up as there were mostly male gamers on stage, yes. There are ways of complaining in a mature way, but this is inflammatory and slanderous. 350 witnesses saw that this did not happen and that I didn't say those things. I would like to speak to her face to face to sort this out, but she's taken to Twitter and now I'm getting hundreds of tweets per minute." We asked what could have sparked these claims if this indeed did not happen, Mr. Millward said that "I referred to her as 'this person', at which point some of the crowd laughed. I should have diffused that situation, but I think that is what's caused this to happen. I did not refer to the woman as 'thing' or 'it' at any point."
Miss Dale claims that Microsoft's security staff prevented her from speaking to Mr. Millward, which Mr. Millward claims he was not aware of.
More will undoubtedly develop, and we'll keep you posted.

LordJim

context, historical precedent, a lack of motivation for her to be lying

There is no precedent involving the host, we largely lacked context till a while ago and 'I cannot think of a reason the person would lie' is a weak argument in itself.
It's possible he did say that and he is a piece of shit, but far too many people decided that solely one Laura's words.

TCKaos

ok sorry, but I only made it to the fifth page before I felt I wanted to add this absurd observation, take it as a question.

Warning I talk about Hitler in a really stupid fashion.

Did Hitler actually do anything wrong?
I mean come on, no one of us was there to feel the mood, right?
No one of us saw how the Jewish/homosexuals and everyone else he gathered in the camps reacted? I mean it's really important, right?

BS, don't ever try to apologize for this sort of thing. It really just makes you look really really sad. It's not up to you to decide for people to keep calm, I actually advocate dogpiling the dude, now and probably next time he comes up for air.

And for you that perhaps don't get it, imagine being poked with a toothpick, softly, it doesn't hurt at all at first. Now try poking the same place over and over, only stop when you have to sleep and then you have another person poking you so you dream about being poked with that toothpick. Sounds fun doesn't it?

No wonder people "overreact" about one "silly" comment right? When in fact this may have been the thousand one made to her person.

There it is.

Not immediately recognizing someone's transgendered identity and calling someone "this person" as opposed to a proper pronoun is tantamount to holocaust denial.

You heard it here first, folks.

Kinyou

Whose tweets are those?

aeolist

Banned
She doesnt have to be outright lying. She could have just misinterpreted something.

i don't think this is a valid response to someone who's been hurt like this

basically anything other than "i really didn't mean to hurt you and i'm very sorry that i did" is 100% asshole

Even though he's denying it now, probably did call her it.

Anyway, none of this is a big deal if he didn't intend to cause any harm. In fact, he could have called her it because he thought it was the politically correct thing to do.

Why is that in her favour and not his? What? That's a complete non-sequitur.

Because a lot of people would be able to corroborate the story.

"Staff apologised to her, but every single part of the first sentence of that tweet is made up. We called for more women so as to balance things up as there were mostly male gamers on stage, yes. There are ways of complaining in a mature way, but this is inflammatory and slanderous. 350 witnesses saw that this did not happen and that I didn't say those things. I would like to speak to her face to face to sort this out, but she's taken to Twitter and now I'm getting hundreds of tweets per minute."

Either way, he's had his say now.

We asked what could have sparked these claims if this indeed did not happen, Mr. Millward said that "I referred to her as 'this person', at which point some of the crowd laughed. I should have diffused that situation, but I think that is what's caused this to happen. I did not refer to the woman as 'thing' or 'it' at any point."

I'm sure someone will clear it up soon.

Oh my god, those aren't his tweets. That poster misunderstood things that were being said to her via multiple twitter accounts (trolls who have heard about this story) abusing her.

Like I said, you guys are way too busy reacting to bother with checking the facts. It's annoying.

https://twitter.com/JimmyRuss0

They are THIS troll's tweets. Not the comedians.

https://twitter.com/FraserMillward This is the comedian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom