• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender journalist at EG Expo called "this person" on stage at MS event (See OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMI

Banned
That said bullies like this never really quite understand how much their words can hurt. But all rabble rousing will do is make this guy go on the defensive "It was a joke! Not my fault they took it the wrong way!" - ignoring that generally, people do not like to be referred to as "it" or "that thing" and it certainly isn't funny. Just awkward for everyone involved. Doing enough so Microsoft and Eurogamer took action is really enough (and letting Laura know we agree, she shouldn't of been treated like that at all. Nobody should be dehumanised for sake of "comedy")

I can't argue with that. I'm not suggesting we all run out and grab pitchforks, but just letting the guy know that he fucked up (also without being a total dick about it) is probably a good idea just in case the message does get through.

Incorrect.

Does he have any history of making jokes on such crass taste for example?

You're wrong.

There's a reason companies apologize all the time when things go wrong. He is being hired by the company and therefore represents them during the contract.

The most obvious example to me is the Janet Jackson titty incident.

aeolist

Banned
I think a lot of people are missing the point. It doesn't matter who he works for, this should have happened but it did.

Why is everyone worried whether he is an MS employee for the day or not? Does it matter or are fanboys feeling the need to attack/defend MS?

the staff refused to apologize for his actions or give her his full name

they covered for him, they're responsible

They controlled him by letting him on stage.

How were they to know that he'd make a joke like that? It wasn't their fault they'd assume he wouldn't make such an offensive comment.

And they could've handled the aftermath better I'll admit, but you can't go blaming Microsoft for everything.

Nibiru

Banned
I've never seen so many knee-jerk reactions in one thread at any given time. This has nothing to do with Microsoft.

Ok easy there. We get it. It wasn't an MS employee but he was at an MS event so this DOES have something to do with Microsoft. They should have vetted this comedian closer, told him what was off limits, or had him write up his routine for them to go over. They do not escape blame here.

Flanimal Lover

Neo Member
If people really believe Microsoft would condone these comments and are to blame think about it from a purely business prospective. Why would they alienate potential customers of their hardware and software? To Microsoft it doesn't matter who you are as long as you pay for their goods, so they aren't going to start discriminating any group of people for cheap laughs when they could be missing out on revenue.

Hate to get in the way of a good mob, but are we sure this happened as stated? I mean, all we've got is a one-sided accusation of this happening, from one person's perspective. It was a public event, surely there were hundreds of other witnesses, or maybe video, right?

Einbroch

Banned
I guess you edited out the part where you compared making fun of a transgendered person to making fun of your birthmark.

Of course I did, because people would focus on that, like you did, instead of my point.

I was trying to relate, as I am not transgender. I have been teased behind my back and to my face plenty of times, like I'm sure she has. It's called empathy, not making a direct comparison. Some people need to relax with their vigilantly shit.

Soooo... does she want the apology just from the comedian/Eurogamer/MS/ of everyone?

The comedian is the the only one to blame, and before I do blame him I'd really like a video of the incident. I know a couple hardcore political correctness people will be outraged about me asking for this but her reaction on stage is a big factor here.

Vamphuntr

This thread took an embarrassing turn alright. The ram "joke" is probably one of the most awful post after the transgenderphobic posts that got nuked.

Not sure why the comedian thought it would be funny to attack someone like that. At the very least you ask her before making the show so that she's okay with it since it's obvious it had the potential to be harmful to her. She's right to be angry about it.

Very sad, and unfortunately most of the public disapproves of transgender, so she'll get this kind of treatment in other places of employment, too. Terrible.

Ok easy there. We get it. It wasn't an MS employee but he was at an MS event so this DOES have something to do with Microsoft. They should have vetted this comedian closer, told him what was off limits, or had him write up his routine for them to go over. They do not escape blame here.

And how do you know they didn't do that?

the staff refused to apologize for his actions or give her his full name

they covered for him, they're responsible

Exactly. I'd go as far as to say they should have actually stopped the event in its tracks, honestly. They certainly would've if he was spouting racially charged jokes.

A heartfelt private apology would have been the reasonable thing to do.

.la1n

Wonder if Major damage control has a comment since he had an account approved here recently. This is just sad and shouldn't happen or be allowed to happen.

I'm sorry this happened to her, but to make it commentary on the industry seems silly when she could - and probably has - encountered this sort of insensitivity and confusion anywhere and everywhere. Her experience isn't uncommon for transgenders... Sad, but certainly not unique to the gaming industry.

JDSN

Banned
Hey, guys, she is aware of the thread:
Laura Kate Dale ‏@LaurakBuzz 3min
Seems to be being collated here. http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=687829 …
Abrir Responder Retwittear Favorito Más
Laura Kate Dale ‏@LaurakBuzz 3min
Oh god there's a NeoGaf thread. Putting it out there, I don't support threatening him or using foul language. Don't fight his poor choic ...
Abrir
Laura Kate Dale ‏@LaurakBuzz 6min
Please don't tgreaten him or calk him a C**t, peoole dont deserve that. Dont fight this with statements of threat.

I think its fair to respect her wishes.

DerZuhälter;84014633 said:
Soooo... does she want the apology just from the comedian/Eurogamer/MS/ of everyone?

The comedian is the the only one to blame, and before I do blame him I'd really like a video of the incident. I know a couple hardcore political correctness people will be outraged about me asking for this but her reaction on stage is a big factor here.

Its very clear that she requested his apologize and his alone and was denied by the MS rep who apparently only apologized at her for being offended. Dont know how her on-stage reaction is relevant at all.

People saying "it's not Microsoft's fault" need to understand that Microsoft PR decided to hire this person to represent them, they are responsible, directly or indirectly, for the comments as it was their choice to hire such a person.
So its the laugh factory's fault Kramer lost his shit?

Nibiru

Banned
If people really believe Microsoft would condone these comments and are to blame think about it from a purely business prospective. Why would they alienate potential customers of their hardware and software?

No one thinks they condone the comment it was just a screw up that can be piled in with the rest of the screw ups post e3. The hilarity is that they are perpetually screwing up. No one thinks these pr fails are intentional.

Chaostar

On one hand you can't blame MS for what he said but, on the other, he was on their stage representing their console so it's only natural that some of the stigma will rub off onto them. Maybe they should be a bit more careful when vetting people to represent their products, is all I'm going to say about it.

Jackpot

Banned

What about the staff who covered for him and gave her that bullshit "sorry you go so worked up about it" apology?

Roto13

Whoever decided that "I'm sorry you're upset" was the correct thing to say to a trans woman who was humiliated on stage at their event needs to be crammed into a cannon and fired into the sun.

UNCMark

Banned
I wonder what MS can do to him. Obviously he's just a hired comedian. MS is at fault for hiring him obviously, but this is in no way a reflection on them as a company. They're one of the most friendly LGBT companies in the world. Shame on anyone that brings console wars into this.

Sydle

OP should clarify this was not an MS employee. Still getting drive-by posts obviously not getting enough of the story.

I think its fair to respect his wishes.

Its very clear that she requested his apologize and his alone and was denied by the MS rep who apparently only apologized at her for being offended. Dont know how her on-stage reaction is relevant at all.

Also should be put in OP.

Incorrect.

Does he have any history of making jokes on such crass taste for example?

Doubt it, because he's a character comedian which, begs the question, how he got this gig.

Again, the responsibility lies with the people putting on the event because comedy, at a non-comedy event, is tricky and unless you do proper research, people will be offended in some capacity. The problem is that a comedy show is highly scripted and that prevents "slip ups", like calling a transgender person "it".

So, yes, Microsoft definitely do carry some of the blame here for picking comedy at a non-comedy event and choosing someone with no real history of this type of event to be involved. Thet made the choice, he's an idiot. Simple.

and to everyone saying that microsoft has no responsibility or culpability here they apparently did everything they could to cover for the the guy after it was clear that she was upset by the comments

To be fair the other people at the Microsoft stage would be promotional hires too, very few of them will be on the actual Microsoft payroll, they are paid by the promotional company Microsoft pay a contract to for hawking their wares.

That said it was kind of unprofessional of them to refuse to give the guy's full name or at least offer some kind of support. They likely were not trained to deal with a situation like this, but they should of had some manager or team leader to report to. Though best they can do is apologize really or have a word with the presenter (who likely has nothing to do with the promotional team, so it's not like they can sack him or whatever, that's Microsoft's issue to solve)

The only way the situation could of been solved then and there was by convincing the presenter to come out, face the music, and apologize.

Silky

Banned

I think its fair to respect his wishes.

Should the thread be closed then? It seems respectable, right? She seems really uncomfortable with the idea of GAF discussing it.

Laura Kate Dale ‏@LaurakBuzz 6min
Please don't tgreaten him or calk him a C**t, peoole dont deserve that. Dont fight this with statements of threat.

Exactly. Hate shouldn't be responded with hate, it gets nothing done.

Absolutely ridiculous. Even if this dude doesn't agree with her lifestyle choices, you'd think he'd have enough common sense to at least act courteous on stage in front of a crowd and not ridicule her. Clearly not.

Wow - what an over reaction - its as if allot of people never been out with their mates in the pub on a Friday night.

I looked at the link https://twitter.com/laurakbuzz, and quite frankly the person has high cheekbones, an adam's apple and therefore was born and is a male, and looks male.

So I don't get the confusion its pretty obvious, but I guess its hard being Politically Correct gone mad nowadays.

Good headline clicker though
Holy fucking shit.

Shane

[edited-already spotted by earlier poster]

A lot of staff at Euro Expo are from third party PR teams. Even the staff she spoke to were probably not directly employed to Microsoft. All the Nintendo staff my friend spoke to were under employment to a third party company. It's common place.

Trame

yeah because it's totally okay to be called 'it' if your reaction isn't right

since there's no way to tell in advance, the only way to tell if it's okay is to just start calling people 'it.' if their reaction is wrong, then it's okay to keep calling them 'it,' and if their reaction is right, you will know not to call them 'it' anymore.

any position other than this one is clearly political correctness gone wild.

Flanimal Lover

Neo Member
Should the thread be closed then? It seems respectable, right? She seems really uncomfortable with the idea of GAF discussing it.

Whether she wants it closed or not she bought this issue up in a public domain (twitter) and made sweeping generalizations about the industry. So the time for deciding to not have /have a discussion on this has long since passed.

Wow - what an over reaction - its as if allot of people never been out with their mates in the pub on a Friday night.

I looked at the link https://twitter.com/laurakbuzz, and quite frankly the person has high cheekbones, an adam's apple and therefore was born and is a male, and looks male.

So I don't get the confusion its pretty obvious, but I guess its hard being Politically Correct gone mad nowadays.

the fuck

The fuck am I reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom