• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

I never did get around to playing Bastion. I own it, but just never got to it. Transistor so far is one of the best games I've played in years. I'm a computer man so the aesthetic is really pushing my buttons.

Definitely give Bastion a try. While the combat system is more simplistic, it's probably a meatier game in terms of content.

I never found this out, but when you lose an ability in combat is it lost forever? I always just went straight to the retry option whenever that happened so if maybe it comes back once you win.

Anyways, pretty cool game. I wish there were more bosses. After Sybil I thought you'd have to have every member of her crew but that wasn't the case. That ended up being my favorite encounter in the game and that happens pretty early in the story. The voice acting is pretty bad to me though. The sword sounds like it's trying to do some cool emo voice and the other voice actors have their weird way of talking insanely slow on top of constantly pausing in every sentence. Some of it makes sense for pausing but others made me feel like maybe there was something wrong with how the game was streaming dialog or something. I also hate that you can't skip cut scenes on a second play through.

I don't know if the studio has plans on it, but I'd love some sort of challenge room, horde mode, or procedurally generated dungeons to run through. I really enjoy the game but once I finish new game+ I don't think there'd be much to do to test my mettle.

LiK

I never found this out, but when you lose an ability in combat is it lost forever? I always just went straight to the retry option whenever that happened so if maybe it comes back once you win.

Anyways, pretty cool game. I wish there were more bosses. After Sybil I thought you'd have to have every member of her crew but that wasn't the case. That ended up being my favorite encounter in the game and that happens pretty early in the story.

I don't know if the studio has plans on it, but I'd love some sort of challenge room, horde mode, or procedurally generated dungeons to run through. I really enjoy the game but once I finish new game+ I don't think there'd be much to do to test my mettle.

No, you gain lost Functions back after you get to the next two Access Points, iirc. They recover them.

Im still up in the air about this game, I enjoyed Bastion but still not sure I will like the combat in this, Im not a fan of tons of different combinations for combat, I like a simple combat system like Bastion, no demo right?

Im still up in the air about this game, I enjoyed Bastion but still not sure I will like the combat in this, Im not a fan of tons of different combinations for combat, I like a simple combat system like Bastion, no demo right?

No demo I'm aware of. There's a good chance that if you liked Bastion you'll really like Transistor (or really hate it!) because it's just that sort of game.

Although I enjoyed Bastion, I found the combat system in Transistor to be a big improvement over Bastion's. It will take more thought and strategy to win some encounters than in Bastion, but that isn't bad. I think by the end of the first run through the game, everyone will develop their own unique gamebreaking combo.

Since players always have a choice about how to develop the Transistor's abilities and Supergiant introduce players to new abilities at a slow pace it doesn't feel like a ton of options; there will always be that one combo that makes the most sense to you.

If you're still on the fence, wait for a sale or look at some gameplay videos for more impressions and then make up your mind. I'd almost advise against skipping it, because at the very least Transistor inspires something within the people that play it; whether this is good or ill, it is something that not many games are able to do.

Finished it last night. I can't say I loved it...it was just ok IMO. However, I will happily support more games in this vein where the creators are at least trying to be unique and go for a more artsy style for lack of a better word.

Macheezmo

Just finished the game. I thought it was a lot of fun though I had very little idea as to what was actually going on or where this was even really taking place. Was this inside a computer? Was it some super futuristic city? My basic strat for basically every fight towards the end was Get() + Crash() on everything I could reach, 3x Void() to weaken them all, then Mask() + Load() to make everything die. I also had Bounce() + Spark() + Purge() to throw around if I needed.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished my first playthrough. I liked it a lot, but not as much as Bastion.

Is there any reason to do the Recursion playthrough beyond trophies (that I don't care about)? Any story or substantive content differences behind different enemies?

I started it up and played a little and it seemed the same other than the enemies. If that's all that's different I won't bother for now and maybe replay later down the road.

Just finished. With the lack of original games nowadays, I have to give Transistor an automatic positive score. It was fun, but they really need to work on their storytelling. There is a fine line between bad storytelling and artistic choice---not sure where Transistor falls.

Hellshy.

Just finished. With the lack of original games nowadays, I have to give Transistor an automatic positive score. It was fun, but they really need to work on their storytelling. There is a fine line between bad storytelling and artistic choice---not sure where Transistor falls.

Id agree but Id havr to add one more thing, they need to improve tech wise. I was playing earlier and I had one more attack and the final boss was done for but no the game froze on me. Its happened several times but during thr final boss battle is just pissese off and a game with a glitch or bug like that should never be sold to a customer imo.

Guffen

Neo Member
Does anyone have problems with surround sound in this game on PS4? According to my receiver im getting 5.1 DTS but i dont hear anything from the rear speakers or from the sub.
The soundsettings on the PS4 itself are set to DTS.
I've googled on it but i cant even find if this game supports surround sound or not.

valkyre

Guys anyone else's fan going nuts when you are in the in game menus with abilities and functions?

Its only then that the fan is going crazy, when in menus. When you just play the game, the fan is going back to normal levels.

sharnaak

Id agree but Id havr to add one more thing, they need to improve tech wise. I was playing earlier and I had one more attack and the final boss was done for but no the game froze on me. Its happened several times but during thr final boss battle is just pissese off and a game with a glitch or bug like that should never be sold to a customer imo.

PC or PS4?
I had freeze issue with the PC version on the first day and I solved them by installing the 14.4 catalyst drivers.

Just finished my first playthrough. I liked it a lot, but not as much as Bastion.

Is there any reason to do the Recursion playthrough beyond trophies (that I don't care about)? Any story or substantive content differences behind different enemies?

I started it up and played a little and it seemed the same other than the enemies. If that's all that's different I won't bother for now and maybe replay later down the road.

Hmm the only reason would be to gain access to all the functions, reading the files connected to them and eventually clearing up the remaining rooms in the beach zone.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm the only reason would be to gain access to all the functions, reading the files connected to them and eventually clearing up the remaining rooms in the beach zone.

Cool. I'll shelve it for now as I don't really care much about that stuff since I didn't enjoy the combat much.

Just finished my first real sit down with the game. I'm loving the narrative! Its very intriguing so far, I'm reading every piece of text and being doubly eagle eyed. Its very cool and well implemented.

The combat is giving me a little trouble so far, but only because its so overwhelming. I'm getting the hang of it though. The combat system is SUPER robust! Its crazy!

I'm loving the combat system but really not liking the narrative.

Regarding the combat, it really opens up and becomes a ton of fun when you get more functions, upgrades, and memory. Coming up with new combinations is half the fun. The helper dog is ALWAYS on my bar though. I can't live without that guy.

The world just feels kinda empty. Reading about things doesn't do anything for me when there's no real connection to the world. Just feels like I'm being guided through a very linear corridor and my sword makes a comment about things sometimes. The process makes no sense to me. The story behind the Camerata is confusing.

I had similar issues with Bastion but I mostly put up with it because again, I loved the combat. Maybe I'll never really come to terms with how Supargiant does storytelling.

I don't understand this game. :|

I've made it to the location after the boat cut-scene, beat some bosses, and feel like I've pretty much just guessed through the entire thing. I definitely feel like I'm clumsily moving through everything.

The story is lost on me. The gameplay is confusing.
Great art direction and music, though.

Did I just not pay enough attention to the early tutorial? :/

ultron87

My one problem with the combat is that it seems like Jaunt() just has to be equipped at all times. It seems like you just get wrecked all the time otherwise. I'm sure there are combos that make it work that I'm missing of course. Trying to find them just doesn't seem necessary.

Guys anyone else's fan going nuts when you are in the in game menus with abilities and functions?

Its only then that the fan is going crazy, when in menus. When you just play the game, the fan is going back to normal levels.

It's a known glitch, will hopefully be patched soon.

WoolyNinja

I've made it to the location after the boat cut-scene, beat some bosses, and feel like I've pretty much just guessed through the entire thing. I definitely feel like I'm clumsily moving through everything.

I'm in the same situation and wondering the same thing.

sharnaak

My one problem with the combat is that it seems like Jaunt() just has to be equipped at all times. It seems like you just get wrecked all the time otherwise. I'm sure there are combos that make it work that I'm missing of course. Trying to find them just doesn't seem necessary.

It really is up to you, the good thing about the gameplay/combat system is that it doesn't actually have a proper way to be played.

You enjoy planning on turn and jaunting once out? Good, you can keep doing it. You prefer actually shooting with breach or bounce while outside and using Turn() to gain distance / avoid aoe? You can do it.

It really is just about trying out stuff and finding out what makes you enjoy the game the most. For me, for exemple, during the first gameplay as soon as I got Mask() I stopped using Jaunt() as an active cause I had that function to save my ass, and I started using it as the passive for stuff like Crush...

This is how I feel as well. Bastion introduced individual mechanics in a much more measured way. This game just feels like they dumped a ton of mechanics on me at the beginning, give me no context for anything, and force me into a single corridor.

I love everything about the game, except the part where I actually have to play the thing.

Is this game supposed to just abruptly start without any opening cut scenes or explanation as to what's going on?

Started the game and it sat at the Transistor logo for almost a minute and then suddenly I was in control and pulling the sword out of a dead guy...

Is this game supposed to just abruptly start without any opening cut scenes or explanation as to what's going on?

Started the game and it sat at the Transistor logo for almost a minute and then suddenly I was in control and pulling the sword out of a dead guy...

Yup, don't worry that's how it starts. You'll get more info on the context as you go through the story.

sora87

Just finished it, man I loved the art direction and music, so so good. The gameplay was refreshing and rewarding too. Even though it's short I enjoyed it a lot more than most AAA games I've played in the past year or so.

Pimpwerx

Plat'd this yesterday. Such a brilliant piece of software. The music, sublime. The story, solid enough to give direction and purpose, but doesn't take itself seriously. It also givesx you the option of gathering more than surface details via the scattered consoles. The limiter system is a perfect alternative difficulty system, allowing the gamer a wide range of difficulty settings. I never played Bastion. Maybe a PS4 remaster? Anyway, I now look forward to the next SGG game.

I highly recommend Transistor. PEACE.

I still love this game. As for everyone not into the story, it's passive. If you're not a story gamer it doesn't intrude, but if u want more, u basically have to unlock the story thru switching up the functions. I'm at the end, and so far the story boils down to
her boyfriend sacrificed his life, but by doing so he became the soul of the transistor weapon. The Camerata created the process to control the city, but quickly lost control of it and it began killing off members of the Camerata. The dead members of the Camerata are the functions you use.
Again I haven't finished the game and my opinion will prolly change when I finish it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just finished the game for the first time.

I... Liked the ending, haha.
It was what she was planning to do all along, but you couldn't possibly know since she couldn't talk.

tranciful

Loved it but didn't really like the ending... just didn't feel like it was on the same level as the beginning half in terms of story.

I only used Jaunt() as a secondary so that I could use an ability during Turn() cooldown

My favorites:

Purge() with Crash() = stunlock. Sometimes I paired with Tap() to get healing effect.

Switch() with Load() = nice crowd control (AOE charm)

Spark() with Cull() and Mask() was great, safe damage (pops them into air and makes you invisible for a sec so the chance of them landing an attack is very slim)

I usually saved Turn() for dodging or when I needed to charm some enemies (those usually coincided)

tranciful

This is how I feel as well. Bastion introduced individual mechanics in a much more measured way. This game just feels like they dumped a ton of mechanics on me at the beginning, give me no context for anything, and force me into a single corridor.

I love everything about the game, except the part where I actually have to play the thing.

Try thinking :)

Gamerloid

My first playthrough of the game had me a bit confused on what was happening exactly, but I always had an idea. I definitely recommend playing recurse mode if just to see the story again. When you know what to expect, you're able to catch things you didn't before due to having no real meaning. Story works well, and the soundtrack set the atmosphere ablaze. So good...

XL5XIpA.jpg
Well worth the $20.

I still love this game. As for everyone not into the story, it's passive. If you're not a story gamer it doesn't intrude, but if u want more, u basically have to unlock the story thru switching up the functions. I'm at the end, and so far the story boils down to
her boyfriend sacrificed his life, but by doing so he became the soul of the transistor weapon. The Camerata created the process to control the city, but quickly lost control of it and it began killing off members of the Camerata. The dead members of the Camerata are the functions you use.
Again I haven't finished the game and my opinion will prolly change when I finish it.

Everyone killed with the weapon is the soul of it. The Camerata were going around killing people to fuse their souls into the weapons as functions. They mention that Red can only hear her boyfriend because he's the only one in the weapon that's close to her.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I only used Jaunt() as a secondary so that I could use an ability during Turn() cooldown

My favorites:

Purge() with Crash() = stunlock. Sometimes I paired with Tap() to get healing effect.

Switch() with Load() = nice crowd control (AOE charm)

Spark() with Cull() and Mask() was great, safe damage (pops them into air and makes you invisible for a sec so the chance of them landing an attack is very slim)

I usually saved Turn() for dodging or when I needed to charm some enemies (those usually coincided)

You can't lose with Bounce() + Crash() and Purge().

Seriously. It's basically a cheat code. You can simply lock into a target and he won't be able to do anything, and the shot bounces off to nearby enemies so they get stunned too. Purge() does DOT too, so it's not a weak combination, and it even slows the occasional fella who gets hit once and then dodges the next shot.

Even battles with all limiters turned on become easy when you use that combination.

I used that as my only offensive combo for the latter half of the game. I also had Jaunt() for mobility, Mask() for mobility and extra damage, and Void() for the extra damage.

demidar

My staple was Ping() with Load() and Purge(). You fire fast, and deal DoT and slow in an area. Add in a Cull() into a passive slot for extra damage.

Though you should probably get a burst attack if you're gonna run with that to insta-gib the tougher enemies like Jerks or the last introduced enemy.

Just finished the game for the first time.

I... Liked the ending, haha.
It was what she was planning to do all along, but you couldn't possibly know since she couldn't talk.

nah. It's more like
she and the boyfriend/transistor were hoping that there would be a way to bring him back to normal. As they went on they started to learn about the Transistor more and more until their suspicions that it can rebuild stuff was made more obvious. Unfortunately if you read the entry of the power gained from the boyfriend, it says his data was corrupted when it was entered into the Transistor, which means it couldn't be copied/reproduced. With everybody else dead/gone and nobody she knows still alive, she decides her best course of action would be to join the one she loves inside the semi-paradise of the transistor. She didn't know it'd work, neither did the Transistor hence why he was begging her to not do it.

mrplaid

Something just struck me. One of the main plot elements of Transistor is almost exactly the same as the 2009 Bionic Commando reboot.
BoyfriendSword instead of ArmWife.
But when Capcom did it everyone laughed!

1420175-jb2.png

Why Ben Judd get no love. : (

Kuro

Bastion's simplistic combat is what made the game a slight chore for me. Couldn't get into that combat at all although I enjoyed the art, music, etc. Transistor's combat system is the best in an indie game I have ever played.

Everyone killed with the weapon is the soul of it. The Camerata were going around killing people to fuse their souls into the weapons as functions. They mention that Red can only hear her boyfriend because he's the only one in the weapon that's close to her.

Just finished it and yes I did get all of that but the last part of your spoiler. Thanks for sharing that with me

Something just struck me. One of the main plot elements of Transistor is almost exactly the same as the 2009 Bionic Commando reboot.

The fact that Transistor shows it at the beginning makes it more established and easier to accept than how Bionic Commando did it, where that detail came a bit out of left field and felt really silly.

-MD-

Finished this earlier today, pretty good game. The story itself didn't really do anything for me but the dialogue, combat and visuals were all top notch. I loved how frequent it made me switch up my skill loadout, nice change of pace from using the same 1-2 weapons during my Bastion playthrough.

phoenixyz

So what do you guys think
about the inhabitants of Cloudbank, including Red. Are they "real people" somehow hooked into a virtual world or part of the simulated reality? And if it's the former why is it implied that the people were cornered by the process and won't be able to come back.

Zakalwe

Banned

The only way it possibly fails from a story telling perspective, imo, is a little too much ambiguity in places.

Like why Red was attacked specifically with the Transistor, and why they just left it with her after attacking, little details that don't really matter but would have been nice if they'd flowed better. We didnt' need to be spoon fed, but it did feel a little sparse in a few places.

As for the rest, it really is a simple tale of love and desperation set against the backdrop of a potentially cataclysmic event. The background story isn't as important as the narration. It's quite beautfiul really, and very melancholic.

I think it was extremely effective, evoked a specific mood, and left me feeling invested emotionally. That's a neat thing when it happens.

NHale

Something just struck me.
One of the main plot elements of Transistor is almost exactly the same as the 2009 Bionic Commando reboot. BoyfriendSword instead of ArmWife.

1420175-jb2.png

You should spoiler tag a lot more info then you did. Anyone that played the other game from 2009 (or heard about it) can easily infer the actual spoiler from your comparison that you left untagged. Unfortunately I learned that the hard way...

Grief.exe

1420175-jb2.png

Execution, execution, execution.

Maybe the Bionic Commando version came off as ham fisted, I never played that game.

Dart

My first playthrough of the game had me a bit confused on what was happening exactly, but I always had an idea. I definitely recommend playing recurse mode if just to see the story again. When you know what to expect, you're able to catch things you didn't before due to having no real meaning. Story works well, and the soundtrack set the atmosphere ablaze. So good...

Well worth the $20.

Just got the Plat last night. Playing with all limiter active was a chaotic.

Top Bottom