• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

So what do you guys think
about the inhabitants of Cloudbank, including Red. Are they "real people" somehow hooked into a virtual world or part of the simulated reality? And if it's the former why is it implied that the people were cornered by the process and won't be able to come back.

I feel Sirot explained it best

My take on the whole thing (MASSIVE SPOILERS):

Cloudbank is a twist on the old trope of the "city in the clouds". Cloudbank is a virtual world, a city in the cloud.

When a person joins (or is born into, this part is not clear) Cloudbank, they are prompted to make two selections. These selections are not unlike the character creation seen in RPG. You choose two attributes for yourself that you want to specialize in and improve. These selections, alongside the user's consciousness creates their trace. Their link to the world of Cloudbank.

These selections give access to functions to the individual. Treat it as the API calls to the world of Cloudbank. It is no coincidence that Red's function is crush(), which makes its targets more vulnerable. It is the same function which made her singing so effective. The transistor is the unconditional access to those API calls and allowed access to those functions in their pure form.

So what is the transistor? Where did it come from? Royce in the later parts of the game described that it required a lot of math to uncover the transistor. The likely answer is that it is a piece of reverse engineered code that allows greater access to the underpinnings of Cloudbank. As the name implies, a transistor controls the flow of information. This is gets to us to the goals of the Camerata.

The city of Cloudbank is autonomous. There is no longer a single driving force behind the city and instead, it maintains its relevance through a voting system amongst the populace. The game's trailer opens up with saying everyone has a voice in the Cloudbank. This voice is the voting mechanism that allows changing every facet of the city. Unfortunately, these continuous petitions created mediocrity through majority and prevented any real, interesting change in the city. As Red's lover once remarked, the weather is always mild and nonoffensive. As the longest-running administrator of the city, Grant realized the hopeless of his position. This staleness is what the Camerata hopes to overcome. When everything changes, nothing changes.

Their first step is to take away control away from the citizens of Cloudbank. To take away their voice. This theft is embodied in Red's literal loss of her own voice. Her voice and those of many others is now trapped in the transistor. The true agent of change left in Cloudbank. And coincidentally, the only voice we really hear during our play through.

The Camerata's plan falls apart once Grant loses control over the transistor and the custodian's of Process are left without direction. Up till now, the populace gave purpose for the Process and so they interpret that void as the desire for nothing. The Process begins to transform Cloudbank into a blank slate in the hopes that it will be given direction once more. As Red plows through their ranks, the Process become more and more obsessed with Red (evident in the later parts of the game). She is all they have left to give them any real meaning.

As Cloudbank becomes a shapeless mass its users evacuate. They log off and go to "the country". There is no returning to Cloudbank. It is directly said that logging off even in ideal circumstances is a one-way trip, but now there is no point of returning. The millions of people who made the simulation feel real are now gone and to never return. So when Red gains complete control of Cloudbank and gains root status, there is nothing left for her. Cloudbank is dead and Red's lover is trapped inside the transistor. He cannot log off and will likely last as long as his mortal body will allow.

Red does not want to face the shock of entering the real world alone, nor does she want her lover to be abandoned. So she leaves the Cloudbank through "suicide" and joins her lover inside the transistor. As this point, there is a ambiguity to what happens. It appears that Red's root status transferred inside the transistor. After all, the cloudscape of the transistor now has form. There is ground and most importantly, Red and her lover have form. If Red has such capability, it is not outlandish to presume that she also had the power to log her lover and herself out of the transistor. Perhaps that last image is them out in country and reveals a happy ending.

phoenixyz

I feel Sirot explained it best

Yes, I read that one before and it's a great post, but I don't feel it really explains the
nature of the people living in cloudbank. So all the inhabitants leave Cloudbank, what does that mean? Are they killed? Do they go back to the "real world"? And if they are simulated people, where do they go? Are they "suspended"? And why can't they come back?

Finally finished the game after a couple of busy weeks at work. What an amazing experience! I feel safe by saying that it's my game of the year so far!

Zomba13

I don't like the idea of the
the residents of Cloudbank being real people plugged into a virtual world. Just kinda cheapens the whole thing when it's not really a city and these characters aren't really people but glorified MMO characters. If it's virtual who gives a fuck if the process delete Cloudbank or a few characters? Roll the server back or open a new server or something. Takes away all the suspense and consequence when nothing that happens matters to real people.

I much prefer Cloudbank being a highly, highly advanced city that uses a lot of programming like things with high ranking politicians being referred to as "administrators". They look after and maintain the "system", making sure the "users" are happy and the automated systems (things like the terminals and voting etc) run smoothly. The Camerata seem to be a secret society that have their own plans on how to improve the city and get it out of it's "slump" by using the Transistor and absorbing/digitising people to help them shape the city. The side effect was the Transistor also allowed them to control the process which they planned to also use to shape the city but of course they lost the control with the Transistor when Logan/Red's BF/Husband interfered when they didn't expect and things went tits up from there.

Yes, I read that one before and it's a great post, but I don't feel it really explains the
nature of the people living in cloudbank. So all the inhabitants leave Cloudbank, what does that mean? Are they killed? Do they go back to the "real world"? And if they are simulated people, where do they go? Are they "suspended"? And why can't they come back?

I took it as them dying. The phrase used a few times, see you in the country. To me, that's the heaven of the world they live in. Like how the Elysian Fields is the afterlife in the Grecian/Roman culture formerly. Especially when the game ends and they're together in the country. It reminded me of the end of gladiator

I assumed they were based on how
they died together, even though Ash could have waited for Red

Ok I thought so. At least I'm not alone

cheezcake

Have only managed to play through an hour of this game but jesus christ, the way the artwork and the music melds is perfect

I'm taking my sweet time with this. Gotta say, the battle system is pretty damn fun. Better than Bastion's. Really enjoying the challenge areas

Help's that Sandbox is an awesome track. Bought the CD pretty much the first time I heard it. Kinda sad there isn't humming version B side though ;_;

Is it just me or playing with all the limiters on is nearly impossible? My main problem is that I can't create a nice build, because every time I change something I'll lose it.

Also, I was expecting something for activating all the limiters, given the icon on the right.

Just got the fifth ability last night, but having an issue with swapping them out.

Can someone explain it to me? I can't figure out how to swap out abilities to a particular button (like swap out the current Triangle ability to another ability).

Keyu

Neo Member
Just got the fifth ability last night, but having an issue with swapping them out.

Can someone explain it to me? I can't figure out how to swap out abilities to a particular button (like swap out the current Triangle ability to another ability).
You have to use the access points on the ground. They appear periodically. Look like tiny flat rectangles till you walk up to them. They also double as save points.

Its in front of the jerk on this pic

You have to use the access points on the ground. They appear periodically. Look like tiny flat rectangles till you walk up to them. They also double as save points.

Its in front of the jerk on this pic

Sorry, I meant the actual process of switching them out. I was trying to do obvious stuff like selecting the new ability and pressing the Triangle button (as an example) but that didn't work. I somehow got it to switch with another button but I dunno how I actually did it.

Keyu

Neo Member
Sorry, I meant the actual process of switching them out. I was trying to do obvious stuff like selecting the new ability and pressing the Triangle button (as an example) but that didn't work. I somehow got it to switch with another button but I dunno how I actually did it.
Oh. Now I guess I'm confused about where you're confused :p

First you have to uninstall the function you already have in that spot (square button on PS4. not sure what it is on steam.) Then go to the function you want and use x to install.
The sub menus that pop up below the funtions give you a ton of info/directions. They also tell you combination effects.

Vodh

Started playing today and I absolutely love it! It has so much charm and the gameplay is a blast. I love the mood of this game and the soundtrack makes it really shine so far. So glad I bought it.

areal

Is there any way to disable limiters in between save points? After playing around with ten limiters, I'm stuck re-spawning at the training room before an encounter that I can't pass. I can't travel back to the previous area and the "continue without limiters" option doesn't actually disable the limiters.

Edit: I made it after 50 or so attempts. I'll think twice before experimenting again.

Is there any way to disable limiters in between save points? After playing around with ten limiters, I'm stuck re-spawning at the training room before an encounter that I can't pass. I can't travel back to the previous area and the "continue without limiters" option doesn't actually disable the limiters.
It doesn't? I'm pretty sure it worked last time I played. I also tried to use all 10 limiters at once, but it got very hard and a bit annoying too, being unable to change the "build"

Love the combat, hate how the sword won't shut the fuck up and how I have no idea wtf is happening in the story.

Mask along with Cull + Void + Breach ensure shit gets wrecked.

I was wondering... does the game not support surround sound on PC? Can't seem to find any information about it either.

No one can answer this?
I give up on this game. I purchased it after Bastion gave great surround sound performance but didn't expect Transistor to not support it on PC. This wouldn't have been much of an issue if not for the sound playing such a huge and integral part. There aren't even any options for it in-game. Even messaged kasavin 10 days ago but he didn't bother to respond. The question has gotten ignored on Steam forums as well. Lesson learned, not buying any SG game again.

Momentary

Banned
Just finished the game and it was damn good. I loved the music, combat, and dialogue in that order. Kind of hope there's DLC one day to play as the guy before he became the sword. I don't know fi I'm going to do another play through since I unlocked all the moves and such... Unless there's some cool tidbits that can only be had by playing again.

Took my time with this and finished it in around 12 hours. Probably the best game ive played this year, and Bastion was my fave game of 2012. The music, atmosphere and graphics were all top notch. What i cant get over was how intricate and satisfying the battle system was. Really liked how you could set up passives and after effects to the 4 main tiles.

I love this developer. Solid 9/10 for me.

Lime

Just finished it yesterday. It's better than Bastion at least, which I found trivial and kind of boring mechanically. Regarding Transistor, I didn't think much of the story and writing, but the combat was entertaining and the audio and visuals were orgasmic.

Also, lol @ having a female protagonist without giving her much of characterization, dialogue, and even a much. Talk about wasted opportunities.

Respawn

Banned
Finished it today and man what a fantastic ride. My eyes got wet and I loved it lol. Prepping my second playthrough. Heck of a last fight and ending for me.

bobawesome

Something just struck me. One of the main plot elements of Transistor is almost exactly the same as the 2009 Bionic Commando reboot.
BoyfriendSword instead of ArmWife.
But when Capcom did it everyone laughed!

1420175-jb2.png

Why Ben Judd get no love. : (

Already knowing what you're referring to in regards to Bionic Commando I guess the story has been ruined for me. Sigh.

Already knowing what you're referring to in regards to Bionic Commando I guess the story has been ruined for me. Sigh.

He stretching it. It's not the same ending at all. He's comparing the wife arm to the boyfriend sword, which isn't really a spoiler. U see it in the opening scene.

AcridMeat

Banned
Just finished it. Didn't think I was so close to the end and I didn't follow some of the early story, that's my fault for playing tired, but the art and music are so damn great.

I enjoyed the combat as well, and thought the way the health system worked with the powers was particularly genius.

My inclination about the sword early on was correct too, though I liked how it ended, albeit feeling abrupt as I was much closer to the end than I thought.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just finished it on ps4. I am speechless, I thought this game was something special from top to bottom. I felt like I was unraveling this organic, living/breathing sci fi mystery. The combat is incredibly deep, I was constantly changing my tactics and it still feels like I only scratched the surface. The writing was supurb, music and art made a world that is pretty static by design feel alive and vivid to the touch. This is one of my fsvorites of all time, that's how unique and impactful I feel it is.

Super Giant has some serious talent.
You guys hiring? Would love to help launch your next project haha.

Pics_nao

Game finally goes on sale on Steam on the same day as my birthday. Thanks Gaben!

I'm LOVING the game. Didn't play Bastion due to it having display problems on my Surface Pro and even though I'm having the same problems with Transistor, I cannot stop playing for more than 20 minutes. Now I just need to buy this again on PS4 to support Super Giant.

Danj

Picked this up in the Steam sale. It's beautiful. Started playing it this morning and literally could not stop until I finished the story (took about 6-7 hours). Seemed to get a bit easy in the late game when I got the
Void()
function but other than that the difficulty level was just right.

With the newgame+, what if anything do you keep from your previous playthrough? And does the enemy difficulty scale up to compensate?

With the newgame+, what if anything do you keep from your previous playthrough? And does the enemy difficulty scale up to compensate?
You keep everything from the previous playthrough, levels, functions, limiters.
You'll encounter harder version of enemies from the start. If that's not hard enough, there are the limiters! :D

Jeels

Really enjoyed this game. Beautiful art and music. It's like gaming is new again.

I've heard doing the recursion playthrough makes the game more fun, but I wanted to know if anything is different as far as new areas/scenes/enemies/story?

CorvoSol

I just bought this game on the Steam Sale. I saw it like, last year in a preview or something and remember finding it interesting. It is most definitely living up to my expectations! The art is beautiful, and the gravely voice of my Sword Spirit is all the encouragement I needed to keep going.

Then I got to the song, "We All Become" and the first boss fight. I'm in love.

Around 5-7 hours for NG, more if you plan on playing through NG+ and getting achievements.

I finished it in 12 hours in the first game and took my time. 5 hours seems pretty damn quick!

For anyone else who loved this game - really give Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall a go. Both are really good games.

I just bought this game on the Steam Sale. I saw it like, last year in a preview or something and remember finding it interesting. It is most definitely living up to my expectations! The art is beautiful, and the gravely voice of my Sword Spirit is all the encouragement I needed to keep going.

Then I got to the song, "We All Become" and the first boss fight. I'm in love.

How fantastic is that song? they used it in one of the trailers and it really sat well with me.

This game and Bastion are both 9/10's for me and my favourite games of each respective year.

CorvoSol

How fantastic is that song? they used it in one of the trailers and it really sat well with me.

This game and Bastion are both 9/10's for me and my favourite games of each respective year.

Man that song is just so good. Can't even put it into words. Girl has serious pipes.

Top Bottom