• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trevor Noah leaving "The Daily Show" after seven years

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

No one was ever going to fill Stewart's shoes in my opinion, but Noah is aggressively unfunny. His comedic timing is off. He lacks the knowledge of politics and quick wit needed to engage most of his guests. The show's viewership dropped 40% early into his tenure. That he even got a second season is impressive.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Terrible choice to begin with for this job. Being an outsider, he never and would never have any credibility on political takes. Same with Oliver.

go away goodbye GIF

Last edited:

Jennings

I look forward to seeing who lands the job. I hope she's funny as hell without having too much of an acerbic wit. Likeable, but still comedically clever; and poignant when appropriate.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Give it to Conan, at least he's funny.

I think Jordan Klepper might be able to right the ship and attract back some of that 40% they lost under Noah. Klepper was there under the old Stewart regime so he's recognizable to old fans. He's still young-ish, so may be able to hang on to whatever small gen z crowd they may have. His on-location bits are still the best since Colbert was still around, and he's just about as quick on his feet as Stewart was during conversations.

Knowing modern media companies though, they'll probably go with some other random no-name who satisfies some checklist for appealing to the 24-34 year old demo.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Give it to Conan, at least he's funny.
Conan is the same as Noah, edgy funny man with no deep knowledge on issues. Stewart was a different era, he was/is very knowledgeable and intelligent. Noah was just cruising on comedy effect.

It’s kinda like reading the New Yorker and regular newspaper articles.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Regarding Oliver: I am not sure Comedy Central could offer him the HBO money he must be making, but you never know. And despite being British he's lived between the US and UK for a long time now, married an America, as Mistake pointed out he is a citizen, and is actually quite informed on not just politics but current events.

His problem is, in my mind, is that he is a clown through and through. He can seem insightful at times on his new show as he monologues and riffs on the material he and his writers crafted, but could you imagine him trying to do an even semi-serious interview with say a US senator? Even when he was on the Daily Show he just clowned and goofed all the time.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Conan, hands down. also I meant jimmy fallon, I edited my post.

Conan is the best, hands down indeed.

Check his travel clips… the man can connect and make laugh people who don’t even speak English. I’d like to see his competition try that.

To me the biggest disappointments are Colbert and Oliver. Colbert is insufferable and unfunny in his new show, and Oliver evolved from “funny takes on real problems” when his HBO show began to full-on nuleft altar boy. Lately it seems he’s moving a little back towards the initial premise of his show tho.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

I'm not sure if the show destroyed Noah or Noah destroyed the show. Possibly both. I could watch him, and even find him funny in some of his own stuff, but this was a terrible experiment that failed. Way overdue for a change.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Trump killed comedy. As a comedian, you can't properly make fun of someone who you genuinely hate. It comes off as mean and petty, not funny.

I can't expand too much here for obvious reasons but I'll note that as someone who "aligns" with most of the late show hosts, for lack of a better word, I've found their constant droning on about a single man boring and tired.

I get it, it gets clicks and drives interest, but geez, please go back to regular-ass comedy already. I really don't need to be reminded of US-centric current events of a specific nature every single time I just want to kick back and rewind with a variety show at the end of the day.

HAYA8U5A

Full Frontal with Samantha Bee cancelled and Trevor Noah out at TDS in the same year? Things like this are giving me false hope balance is returning to the force but realistically they will just find even worse people to replace them. As somebody that just hates all politicians I don't lean either way so I can find humor in political shows but the hosts need to be funny/entertaining and not let their personal vendettas take over too much. The likes of Bee and Noah are not funny, not entertaining and just come across as whiny annoying losers. Somebody like Russell Howard still tend to lean heavily one way which I am sure annoys people on the other side too but at least the dude is funny and entertaining. The Russell Howard Hour is the only show like this I still watch.

Conan is the same as Noah, edgy funny man with no deep knowledge on issues. Stewart was a different era, he was/is very knowledgeable and intelligent. Noah was just cruising on comedy effect.

It’s kinda like reading the New Yorker and regular newspaper articles.
I think Conan may have knowledge of issues but has always steered clear of hard poltitics in his comedy. He makes fun of the politicians, not their platforms, from my observations.

I like Conan but he wouldn't be a good fit for The Daily Show

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I like Noah. Too bad he's going. Been enjoying the show since I found out about it a few years ago. Stewart handpicked Noah for the job... Both of them have kept me laughing these past couple of years.

K' Dash

Im surprised he lasted this long, I don’t hate on the dude, he just lacks the quick wit for this specific show.

Ionian

Always found him try-hard/dull. Never laughed once but each to their own etc. Could blame the writers as well.

Raven117

He had his moments of being funny. I’m not sure anyone could fill Stewart’s shoes. A near impossible task

Last edited:

Raven117

I'd argue not even Stewart could fill his own shoes. Early 2000's Daily show was funny as hell. Then because of commuting due to a new job I stopped watching from 2006-20009. 2010 Stewart was clearly phoning it in.
Agreed. That early time really was lightening in a bottle

Last edited:

GloveSlap

Just end the show. There is no point to it now that almost every talk show does nothing but talk about politics now.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I can't expand too much here for obvious reasons but I'll note that as someone who "aligns" with most of the late show hosts, for lack of a better word, I've found their constant droning on about a single man boring and tired.

I get it, it gets clicks and drives interest, but geez, please go back to regular-ass comedy already. I really don't need to be reminded of US-centric current events of a specific nature every single time I just want to kick back and rewind with a variety show at the end of the day.
I think people watch this shit so they can laugh at the "other side" getting ragged on for everyone to see. Plus it makes them feel smart.

I can't get into political comedy. It always feels like the laughs come from bias.

Billbofet

When the real news reads like an Onion article from the 90's, there's not much left to spoof. Especially when you lack the wit of Stewart or Kilborn and need a script to even come close.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Oh wow, just a couple days ago I was wondering when this would finally happen. The chances probably aren't high that we'll get anyone to surpass Jon Stewart, but I'll try to be optimistic.

Mistake

Conan would be a no brainer, he's highly intelligent and doesn't rub it in people's faces
Some of conan’s material makes him seem like a jerk, but it’s in his own style. The amount of creativity and wit he puts into content far exceeded other late night hosts, and never got too political. I was disappointed when he finished, but knowing him, he’ll bring something just as good to the table eventually.

Top Bottom