• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trevor Noah leaving "The Daily Show" after seven years

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I think people watch this shit so they can laugh at the "other side" getting ragged on for everyone to see. Plus it makes them feel smart.

I can't get into political comedy. It always feels like the laughs come from bias.

Nothing wrong with political comedy when all politicians and all political parties can be the butt of jokes. Unfortunately in the US all late night hosts wear their political alliance on their sleeves. Stephen Colbert's show is unbearable for that reason. Bill Maher is the only who dishes out to both sides it seems.

Oh, and I'm glad Noah is gone. I watched The Daily Show almost daily but when Noah became the host I stopped watching after a few shows.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Just get Jon Stewart back.

Or just go 100% crazy and give it to Doug Stanhope or Bill Burr. I mean, who even really cares anymore at this point. Does anyone even watch these shows anymore?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Never cared for him after Stewart. As much as the show was still finding it's way I also preferred Killburn over this guy.

taizuke

I like Trevor Noah. Some of his stand ups are hilarious and I've enjoyed the occasional clip on YouTube of his late show. Dude is super smart, funny, and talented.

Just because he may lean left doesn't mean I hate the guy and wish him ill will.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Nothing wrong with political comedy when all politicians and all political parties can be the butt of jokes. Unfortunately in the US all late night hosts wear their political alliance on their sleeves. Stephen Colbert's show is unbearable for that reason. Bill Maher is the only who dishes out to both sides it seems.

Oh, and I'm glad Noah is gone. I watched The Daily Show almost daily but when Noah became the host I stopped watching after a few shows.
I don't want to say there is something wrong with it, although it does often simplify complex topics into obnoxious "gotcha" attempts, which are then parroted around by sheep. I'd say that's unfortunate, but not like I want to silence it.

And then, again, people are so entrenched into their politics, that you can get very cheap laughs, just by insulting people they disagree with, which tends to lower the bar.

See: Trump. Trump jokes are beaten to death, but if you tell them in a highly liberal crowd, you're going to get belly laughs, cause "fck Trump."

And that goes both ways, of course.

People will just laugh because they agree, rather than because the content is actually clever.

Last edited:

Moneal

I like Trevor Noah. Some of his stand ups are hilarious and I've enjoyed the occasional clip on YouTube of his late show. Dude is super smart, funny, and talented.

Just because he may lean left doesn't mean I hate the guy and wish him ill will.
His stand up is mostly really good. The reason I disliked him on the show was he felt like he was playing a character. He would never say anything like his African-American joke on the show. Stewart felt the same regardless of whether he was on the show or not.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Show formulas are running false narratives, special effects and stacking the odds against your audience.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Viewership has been down 75% since Stewart. The writing was always on the wall. They loss leaded their agenda, and you see these networks cutting ties with all their paid bards now.

Xenon

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

daffyduck

I look forward to seeing who lands the job. I hope she's funny as hell without having too much of an acerbic wit. Likeable, but still comedically clever; and poignant when appropriate.
Maybe Kathy Griffin will get it this time. I'm not a fan, but compared to Trevor Noah...

Amory

It’s so weird to me that nightly talk shows are still a thing. So much work to create so much mediocre content, and I don’t know a single person who watches any of them once let alone consistently. Who’s it for?

The genre died when Stewart left the Daily Show, the Colbert report ended, letterman retired, and streaming began

Say what you will about last week tonight, and yes John Oliver has generally gone too left for my taste, but at least his main segment is tailor made for YouTube and I watch it there consistently

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Idk I have to admit I don’t watch alot of talk shows these days but unlike Colbert Trevor’s always seemed to struggle with principles over money. On his show he says and acts one way but in interviews he is almost a completely different person where as Colbert is a yes man no questions asked.

Scotty W

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Trevor was in an on-again/off-again relationship with Minka Kelly for years ... I never knew that until relatively recently.

And his announcement of his retiring from the show (still no date announced) was very sweet.

One thing I'll say is that when he interviews people of a different political persuasion, he's very diplomatic and actually tries to understand their pov. And he's had many on there.

The way he skewered EVERYONE at the white house press association dinner was AWESOME!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Are y'all saying he's unfunny because of WHO he jokes about? Because he jokes about everyone... The White House, the Senate, the House of representatives, British Parliament, the Royal family, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, etc.

But it's hard to make jokes everyone gets if those people aren't in the news

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Are y'all saying he's unfunny because of WHO he jokes about? Because he jokes about everyone... The White House, the Senate, the House of representatives, British Parliament, the Royal family, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, etc.

But it's hard to make jokes everyone gets if those people aren't in the news
No. His delivery, timing, cadence, and recycled boring jokes were unfunny.

There is a reason viewership was down 75% his entire tenure. Unless your suggesting the vast majority did not like WHO he joked about.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
No. His delivery, timing, cadence, and recycled boring jokes were unfunny.

There is a reason viewership was down 75% his entire tenure. Unless your suggesting the vast majority did not like WHO he joked about.

I just remember SOME of the backlash he got AFTER I found out who he was and about the daily show... Folks identified the show with Stewart and didn't accept his correspondent as his replacement, even though Stewart PERSONALLY picked him to carry the show.

Didn't know about viewership decrease but I found him funny and continued watch. Even as he was doing the show from his apartment during COVID.

I'm asking if most are saying he's unfunny (the people replying in this thread) because of his joking on Trump, McConnell and the like. Because it seems like NO ONE thinks he's funny save for a few. He's sold out comedy specials ... I laughed my butt off at the ones I've seen (which are free on YouTube)...

I dunno. I don't think Jimmy Fallon is funny and he also leans left. His jokes just don't land with me. Same with Corden... He's just unfunny.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just remember SOME of the backlash he got AFTER I found out who he was and about the daily show... Folks identified the show with Stewart and didn't accept his correspondent as his replacement, even though Stewart PERSONALLY picked him to carry the show.

Didn't know about viewership decrease but I found him funny and continued watch. Even as he was doing the show from his apartment during COVID.

I'm asking if most are saying he's unfunny (the people replying in this thread) because of his joking on Trump, McConnell and the like. Because it seems like NO ONE thinks he's funny save for a few. He's sold out comedy specials ... I laughed my butt off at the ones I've seen (which are free on YouTube)...

I dunno. I don't think Jimmy Fallon is funny and he also leans left. His jokes just don't land with me. Same with Corden... He's just unfunny.
I don't think Fallon or Kimmel are funny either. Their neutered schtick wore thin.

Echoing many people, Trevor Noah never felt right to me. The Daily Show's whole deal is that it's a riff on American politics and news and Trevor not being American felt totally off. Jon Stewart is and always will be The Daily Show.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Are y'all saying he's unfunny because of WHO he jokes about?

Speaking for myself: obviously not.

As I pointed out earlier I think his comedic timing is poor, his jokes aren't often funny (sometimes even early 2000's levels of lazily offensive in their nature), and the on-air dialog had to be sort of twisted in an attempt to make his delivery entertaining at times.

He's just not a funny guy in my opinion. He was the wrong choice. It doesn't get any deeper than that for me.

Billbofet

I feel late-night comedy just passes the script down the line each day so on Monday, Kimmel gets a joke that he passes to Colbert for Tuesday and Fallon gets it on Wednesday - Trevor on Thursday.
Seth Myers might get the leftover joke by Friday, but nobody is sending anything to James Corden.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I feel late-night comedy just passes the script down the line each day so on Monday, Kimmel gets a joke that he passes to Colbert for Tuesday and Fallon gets it on Wednesday - Trevor on Thursday.
Seth Myers might get the leftover joke by Friday, but nobody is sending anything to James Corden.
Like MSM.

Top Bottom