• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tropes vs Women author Sarkeesian vacates home following online threats

Status
Not open for further replies.
To many people, feminism is more about dismantling institutional oppression, which is highlighted in a way by men saying "what about men" in response to hearing a woman was so scared by an anonymous person who found her family's personal info and threatened to rape and murder her that she had to leave her house.
But game journalism isn't feminism. It's journalism (supposedly). If equality is the agenda, I'd expect to see an even passing bit of attention given to religious offense/oppression, death threats also given to men, and an elimination of the attack against groups of people within gaming propagated by journalists themselves.

On the other hand, the current emphasis on female equality - to the point of mania - is very much like the sort of PR-driven political movements we see in many other walks of life.

Context is important. The question "what about men?" isn't meant to draw attention away from the bad things that happen to women. Those things are bad, certainly. The question "what about men?" is aimed at the people who are reporting these threats and who are reporting on the "underlying rot" in "gamer culture" and yet these same are utterly failing to point out other instances that don't fit their agenda. THAT is where "what about men?" comes about, and if journalists had an ounce of integrity, they'd perk up and starting asking the same question.

Except that they don't. Because this is about an agenda.

But game journalism isn't feminism. It's journalism (supposedly). If equality is the agenda, I'd expect to see an even passing bit of attention given to religious offense/oppression, death threats also given to men, and an elimination of the attack against groups of people within gaming propagated by journalists themselves.
No one's stopping anyone from talking about this. Anita's got her focus, anyone else can have their own.

Context is important. The question "what about men?" isn't meant to draw attention away from the bad things that happen to women.
Yes, it is. Everything has its own time and place, and I do not see anyone asking "what about men" who also appears to be showing a human amount of empathy toward Anita's situation.

Those things are bad, certainly. The question "what about men?" is aimed at the people who are reporting these threats and who are reporting on the "underlying rot" in "gamer culture" and yet these same are utterly failing to point out other instances that don't fit their agenda. THAT is where "what about men?" comes about, and if journalists had an ounce of integrity, they'd perk up and starting asking the same question.

Except that they don't. Because this is about an agenda.
I have the same concerns as you about why we don't talk about the situations with men outside of the context of it happening to women.

LuchaShaq

Banned
No matter how she steals footage, creates worse videos than random women addressing the same topics on YouTube, and is an enormous hypocrite no one deserves death threats no matter how obviously empty they are. Not even 100% professional trolls like skip bayless or Sean hannity deserve that shit.

I don't even see the motivation of a half passed death threat, all it does is give massive sympathy to the person you're threatening.

Hope whoever sent that shit gets locked up for a long ass time.

Basketball

Doesn't even have to be over an opinion.

wG84jnV.jpg

Maybe it's just my perception but after twitter got more popular people seem to throw out shit like this much more easily.

These internet warriors are just punks anyway

If they were 5 feet away from Anita or anyone they're harassing they wouldn't do shit.

While I don't agree much with Anita it still doesn't give you a free pass to act/talk like a monster.

Here is a video of a internet troll getting his

he called the boxer a bunch of slurs and talked about raping his daughter etc over social media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iu7YBoe_Pg

Artofwar420

No matter how she steals footage, creates worse videos than random women addressing the same topics on YouTube, and is an enormous hypocrite no one deserves death threats no matter how obviously empty they are. Not even 100% professional trolls like skip bayless or Sean hannity deserve that shit.

I don't even see the motivation of a half passed death threat, all it does is give massive sympathy to the person you're threatening.

I think that's what should be taken away from all this, no matter what we think of her or anyone that talks about things on the internet... it makes absolutely zero sense to make threats. Why can't people get this.

No one's stopping anyone from talking about this. Anita's got her focus, anyone else can have their own.
Interestingly enough, her detractors are often shouted down and called names. Some of the videos and comments made about her are awful, just awful. But others are level-headed and incredibly insightful. Yet, these people are marginalized into "that internet mob of bigots who hate and/or disagree with Anita". I also do not see major gaming blogs / websites considering the side of Anita's detractors. My point stands.

Yes, it is. Everything has its own time and place, and I do not see anyone asking "what about men" who also appears to be showing a human amount of empathy toward Anita's situation.
What about me?

See, you're falling into the trap again. It's not "us vs them". There are shades of disagreement and agreement. You saying something like "I do not see anyone asking "what about men" who also appears to be showing a human amount of empathy toward Anita's situation" shows that you are either unaware the person that you quoted exists or that you are unaware someone can disagree with Anita (and other so-called "sjw" stances) while also being a reasonable human being with a valid argument.

I have the same concerns as you about why we don't talk about the situations with men outside of the context of it happening to women.
Which is why this has blown up into something rather tremendously big. People don't like a double-standard. People don't like an agenda. Boooooy oh boy, gamers get mad when a PR guy or a game journalist says stuff like "720 and 1080 are pretty much the same". How do you think they'll react when a political agenda moves into the neighborhood and starts vomiting polemic and rhetoric, not only vomiting it but vomiting it on them and decrying gamers and trying to bully them out of their own hobby, all under the guise of "well, we have some examples from twitter of 'gamers' being awful people. You shouldn't be like THEM".

You think 'gamers' are going to nod their head and feel respected by the journalists who are supposed to inform and represent them?

Interestingly enough, her detractors are often shouted down and called names. Some of the videos and comments made about her are awful, just awful. But others are level-headed and incredibly insightful. Yet, these people are marginalized into "that internet mob of bigots who hate and/or disagree with Anita". I also do not see major gaming blogs / websites considering the side of Anita's detractors. My point stands.
Does it? It just seems like you made up how it goes based on what you personally see.

Which is why this has blown up into something rather tremendously big. People don't like a double-standard. People don't like an agenda. Boooooy oh boy, gamers get mad when a PR guy or a game journalist says stuff like "720 and 1080 are pretty much the same". How do you think they'll react when a political agenda moves into the neighborhood and starts vomiting polemic and rhetoric, not only vomiting it but vomiting it on them and decrying gamers and trying to bully them out of their own hobby, all under the guise of "well, we have some examples from twitter of 'gamers' being awful people. You shouldn't be like THEM".

You think 'gamers' are going to nod their head and feel respected by the journalists who are supposed to inform and represent them?
Um, are we still talking about the same Anita Sarkeesian here?

Toxi

Banned
"Though Ms Sarkeesian is a lying, no-talent bitch who was never in any danger, I do not condone these death threats."

Kinyou

You have to be pretty shitty, even for internet standards. I don't get it
I think some just like the trolling. So it's less about them actually living up to their threat and more about what reaction it gets out of people. Obviously that's just an assumption. Would be interesting if there are any kind of studies on behaviour like this

"Though Ms Sarkeesian is a lying, no-talent bitch who was never in any danger, I do not condone these death threats."

Accuracy of interpretation: 50%

She don't deserve death threats, rape threats, any goddamn threats whatsoever. Save the threats for people who crush kittens on video.

Hope she remains safe.

Artofwar420

Accuracy of interpretation: 50%

She don't deserve death threats, rape threats, any goddamn threats whatsoever. Save the threats for people who crush kittens on video.

Hope she remains safe.

Absolutely, it's like some people can't reconcile that you can disagree with every single point of somebody's opinions while at the same time not being a dicknozzle to them.

Does it? It just seems like you made up how it goes based on what you personally see.
I made up how Anita gets unequivocal support for her stances from all major gaming websites? I made up how videos that counter her videos in a polite and professional manner are marginalized?

I'm not sure what I'm making up here. You said

No one's stopping anyone from talking about this.

I say that there are some significant hurdles being intentionally placed in the way of honest critical conversation about her topic. Do you disagree? If you do, I'd be happy to follow any links you can provide from Polygon, RockPaperShotgun, Kotaku, Dualshockers, IGN, Gamespot, etc. that offer an in-depth rebuttal to Anita's claims in her videos.

Um, are we still talking about the same Anita Sarkeesian here?
Nah, not her, exclusively. Again, my paragraph was in response to your statement of

And in a verbose way, I was essentially saying "yeah, you and a lot of people have these concerns. That's why there's so much outcry. That's why a lot of people speak out against the videos Anita makes".

KiraXD

That example had to do with the Columbian mafia betting heavily on the team. Then Columbia lost badly in the Group Stage and the mob shot Escobar. It's not really comparable because of the gambling aspect, even if it is shitty. You're better off with the death of Albert Ebosse in Algeria this week after a fan chucked a stone at his head. Football fans can be nasty.

Please tell me how they are blown out of proportion.

i didnt say they were? i asked if they were... im just trying to understand if they were legit threats or not is all.

Mumei

I made up how Anita gets unequivocal support for her stances from all major gaming websites? I made up how videos that counter her videos in a polite and professional manner are marginalized?

I have not read these topics since around the time the second video was released, I think, and my familiarity with what has happened since mostly comes from what posts other moderators have pointed out (which tends to be in the "cringingly bad, but maybe not worth banning for or replying to so let's see if they dig the hole deep enough *fingers crossed*" category, if you were wondering). But when I was reading these topics, the videos I saw produced as rebuttals were condescending, immature, unprofessional, and incoherent.

So, I'm curious what these videos are that you say are good responses.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I think that's what should be taken away from all this, no matter what we think of her or anyone that talks about things on the internet... it makes absolutely zero sense to make threats. Why can't people get this.

Because they are children/man children and the games press will continue to see any dessention about Anita as basically another death threat.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Replace the slur with hypocrite and add a likely before the never. Then you're there. I mean she has a GREAT message but the quality of the arguments and videos wouldn't pass a freshmen debate/communications course.

My general reaction to her has simply been disappointment in her videos. And disappointment in the reaction towards her (both the threats and the hive mind who treat her as a god).

I don't know where you're getting such a caring angry tone from.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Replace the slur with hypocrite and add a likely before the never. Then you're there.

My general reaction to her has simply been disappointment in her videos. And disappointment in the reaction towards her (both the threats and the hive mind who treat her as a god).

Have you seen the latest video by chance? I was also disappointed by the first few, but I think the most recent one is by far the strongest. I haven't followed you in this conversation so I'm not sure

LuchaShaq

Banned
Have you seen the latest video by chance? I was also disappointed by the first few, but I think the most recent one is by far the strongest. I haven't followed you in this conversation so I'm not sure

I watched I think 3 and then gave up bummed out that feminism was being so poorly represented/bummed out by both the over the top negative and positive reactions and gave up on them. Glad to hear they could be getting better.

I can't fathom how you're comfortable calling her a bitch. Jfc, how ignorant and unnecessary.

Toxi is attempting to paraphrase Lucha's attitude. Since Lucha objects to the word 'bitch' but not the rest, and Toxi was just checking to see how deep his attitude goes, there's no need to focus on that word.

Mumei

Toxi is attempting to paraphrase Lucha's attitude. Since Lucha objects to the word 'bitch' but not the rest, and Toxi was just checking to see how deep his attitude goes, there's no need to focus on that word.

Right. Pay attention to the use of quotes, which indicate that it is an attempt to paraphrase what was said in the quoted post!

Toxi

Banned
Replace the slur with hypocrite and add a likely before the never. Then you're there. I mean she has a GREAT message but the quality of the arguments and videos wouldn't pass a freshmen debate/communications course.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have had a slur like "bitch" there. I was trying to demonstrate how it sounds to me to see a post that condemns the death threats while also talking about how Anita Sarkeesian is an awful person and overreacted. It just seems completely irrelevant to the current situation for her. I'll try not to shove words in your mouth in the future though, because that was out of line.

Also, please don't brush off the people who disagree with you as a hive mind. It is exactly the same shit people are complaining about right now with the gaming press.

kirblar

I watched I think 3 and then gave up bummed out that feminism was being so poorly represented/bummed out by both the over the top negative and positive reactions and gave up on them. Glad to hear they could be getting better.
The discussion revolving around the use of "prostituted women" in the prior thread helped illuminate for me a large part of what's going on, and I don't really have hope for the videos getting substantially better in the ways I think a lot of (non-crazy idiot/a-hole) critics would like. It's clear that the videos are representing her personal ideology, instead of a generic amalgamation of widely uncontroversial feminist positions, and that this is not going to change. This pushes them into the opinion/literary criticism category, and that in and of itself isn't problematic. But the videos are pushed as educational/intro videos, and it creates a real dissonance between the content of the videos and the context they're serving.

If one were to create introductory economics videos, you would want to stick to areas where there's broad agreement and unanimity, regardless of personal ideology. Topics such as rent control hurting housing markets, taxation necessarily leading to a decrease in economic activity, and the gold standard being horrible for nations are opinions that are controversial in the general sphere, but not among economists. Tackling them in an intro course wouldn't be problematic in the least. But including topics where there's active and contentious debate among economists would be problematic, as it would give the newcomer the impression that these debated issues are"settled knowledge" and hamper their ability to interact on the topic in the future.

hodgy100

1) There fucking is.
2) That has nothing to do with what I said.

are you two for real?

In the first post we see a reply to a sane post stating that these threats are just as bad no matter the gender of the person they are aimed at. A sane claim. but the replay states they arent the same? how is it not the same?

second we have someone attempting to paraphrase another posters opinion by adding in extremes and purposely misinterpreting what was sad. FFS you can disagree with some of Anita's points dislike her videos and not be a misogynist pig.

Get a hold of yourselves guys the people you are replying to aren't your enemy.

Kazerei

Banned
The discussion revolving around the use of "prostituted women" in the prior thread helped illuminate for me a large part of what's going on, and I don't really have hope for the videos getting substantially better in the ways I think a lot of (non-crazy idiot/a-hole) critics would like. It's clear that the videos are representing her personal ideology, instead of a generic amalgamation of widely uncontroversial feminist positions, and that this is not going to change. This pushes them into the opinion/literary criticism category, and that in and of itself isn't problematic. But the videos are pushed as educational/intro videos, and it creates a real dissonance between the content of the videos and the context they're serving.

If one were to create introductory economics videos, you would want to stick to areas where there's broad agreement and unanimity, regardless of personal ideology. Topics such as rent control hurting housing markets, taxation necessarily leading to a decrease in economic activity, and the gold standard being horrible for nations are opinions that are controversial in the general sphere, but not among economists. Tackling them in an intro course wouldn't be problematic in the least. But including topics where there's active and contentious debate among economists would be problematic, as it would give the newcomer the impression that these debated issues are"settled knowledge" and hamper their ability to interact on the topic in the future.

So you think her videos should be more introductory and generic? I've heard others criticize her videos for being too pedestrian and stating the obvious. I guess nobody will ever be perfectly happy. I think it's fine if she inserts her personal opinion.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I'm sorry, I shouldn't have had a slur like "bitch" there. I was trying to demonstrate how it sounds to me to see a post that condemns the death threats while also talking about how Anita Sarkeesian is an awful person and overreacted. It just seems completely irrelevant to the current situation for her.

I can only judge her by her lackluster videos and hypocritical twitter feed. She may be a very nice woman in person/offline. Considering how vehemently certain people defend her videos from criticism I'd even guess that she's very personable away from the camera/keyboard.

Bad people can make great stuff (great example would be Roman Polanski) and plenty of nice people can make trash.

As long as any non positive reactions to her work are treated as psycos/man babies threatening her I feel the need to show that lumping all dissenters together is madness, and is just lazy at best. (Not that you were).

kirblar

So you think her videos should be more introductory and generic? I've heard others criticize her videos for being too pedestrian and stating the obvious. I guess nobody will ever be perfectly happy. I think it's fine if she inserts her personal opinion.
If people are complaining that they're "stating the obvious", they're probably not the intended audience of an intro video. Having an opinion is fine, but it should be presented as your opinion if you're inserting it in there. Professors do that all the time when lecturing, but they make it clear where the generally settled territory ends and their opinion begins. Giving the same equivalent framing to both types of issue is going to lead to problems.

If people are complaining that they're "stating the obvious", they're probably not the intended audience of an intro video. Having an opinion is fine, but it should be presented as your opinion if you're inserting it in there. Professors do that all the time when lecturing, but they make it clear where the generally settled territory ends and their opinion begins. Giving the same equivalent framing to both types of issue is going to lead to problems.
I don't expect people to put "in my opinion" before everything just because some people are too dumb.

Kazerei

Banned

Uhh, ok. I just find it strange you insist her videos should be like so-and-so. Presumably she's making the videos she wanted to, for the audience she intended.

An opinion column and a textbook require different approaches.

I've always been under the impression her videos were far more akin to an opinion column than a textbook. I mean, it's a series of Youtube videos, not a scholarly article in a sociology journal.

kirblar

Uhh, ok. I just find it strange you insist her videos should be like so-and-so. Presumably she's making the videos she wanted to, for the audience she intended.

I've always been under the impression her videos were far more akin to an opinion column than a textbook. I mean, it's a series of Youtube videos, not a scholarly article in a sociology journal.
Right at the top of the video is:
Content Warning: This educational episode contains graphic sexual and violent game footage.
I'm merely stating my opinion here, and I'm explaining how I came to accept/determine that my issues with the videos likely wouldn't be addressed as time went on. I'm not telling anyone to do anything.

Kazerei

Banned
Right at the top of the video is:

I'm merely stating my opinion here, and I'm explaining how I came to accept/determine that my issues with the videos likely wouldn't be addressed as time went on. I'm not telling anyone to do anything.

Huh, fair enough. The earlier videos didn't have that phrase for some reason. I still maintain that I expected the videos to be more opinion column and not textbook, however. Not that it really matters. At the end of the day, her videos can't be exactly what everyone wants.

aeolist

Banned
I can only judge her by her lackluster videos and hypocritical twitter feed. She may be a very nice woman in person/offline. Considering how vehemently certain people defend her videos from criticism I'd even guess that she's very personable away from the camera/keyboard.

Bad people can make great stuff (great example would be Roman Polanski) and plenty of nice people can make trash.

As long as any non positive reactions to her work are treated as psycos/man babies threatening her I feel the need to show that lumping all dissenters together is madness, and is just lazy at best. (Not that you were).

non positive reactions are very politely and rationally discussed in the threads about each video as long as those reactions do not contain the usual insanity

It isn't stealing when the videos don't own the material in the first place. Some dude streams himself playing Hitman? Guess what he doesn't own the Hitman footage. She can grab a snippet and include it in her video in "fair use" and no one can say a thing to her. The only ones she might need permission from (and not even them because of her "fair use" right) would be the videogame publishers of each game. Not the dude that's making money from his channel streaming other people's games.

Shinta

Banned
non positive reactions are very politely and rationally discussed in the threads about each video as long as those reactions do not contain the usual insanity

I wish that was the case. The threads have lots of discussion, but there are also lots of instances of dog piling, and bullying to silence dissenting views.

"The usual insanity" is obviously going to be the point of disagreement here that we're talking about. Everyone's definition of that is different.

I've definitely felt unwelcome in these threads, and I've never said anything threatening or misogynistic. I even got told by a moderator that it's a bad idea for me to post about this subject at all. I've had lots of commenters try and insult me personally as well. And if you broaden the scope to include other things besides just this website, you see a broader pattern of silencing dissent, and promoting one side of the discussion.

aeolist

Banned
I wish that was the case. The threads have lots of discussion, but there are also lots of instances of dog piling, and bullying to silence dissenting views.

"The usual insanity" is obviously going to be the point of disagreement here that we're talking about. Everyone's definition of that is different.

I've definitely felt unwelcome in these threads, and I've never said anything threatening or misogynistic. I even got told by a moderator that it's a bad idea for me to post about this subject at all. I've had lots of commenters try and insult me personally as well. And if you broaden the scope to include other things besides just this website, you see a broader pattern of silencing dissent, and promoting one side of the discussion.

the rules of the thread are very clearly laid out by mods in every OP. stay within them and you will at no point risk a ban.

and yes, people might disagree with you. i don't see that as a problem in any other GAF thread and it's not a problem in these. if you're genuine and honest without trying to start shit you will get plenty of reasonable responses.

LuchaShaq

Banned
It isn't stealing when the videos don't own the material in the first place. Some dude streams himself playing Hitman? Guess what he doesn't own the Hitman footage. She can grab a snippet and include it in her video in "fair use" and no one can say a thing to her. The only ones she might need permission from (and not even them because of her "fair use" right) would be the videogame publishers of each game. Not the dude that's making money from his channel streaming other people's games.

I don't care about the legality.

I care that not crediting the guys channel is incredibly rude and lazy as fuck.

LuchaShaq

Banned

You put my thoughts into words much more eloquently than I have on the subject.

Shinta

Banned
the rules of the thread are very clearly laid out by mods in every OP. stay within them and you will at no point risk a ban.
Even discussing this risks a ban, but I'll just say that I disagree, and my history of bans is proof of it. But I'm not even trying to single out moderators to be honest. It's much broader than that, and includes commenters as well that are not very kind to critical opinions, as well as journalists and writers and the consistent tone they decide to take with story selection and story omission.

mooksoup

"Silencing Dissent" is a long way from not being praised for unpopular opinions. Especially coming from someone who has made their voice heard repeatedly.

Critics of Sarkeesian are not in danger of being silenced. Or quiet. Or victimised. Or displaying restraint, often it seems :/

Aeana

What moderator told you that? Or did you misinterpret the post earlier in this thread telling you that this wasn't the place to go on a tirade about how "manchildren" is offensive?

Saying that dissent is being silenced is silly, because plenty of people who are dissenting in this very thread are still here posting, including yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom