• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tropico 6 announced; Release 2018 (X1, PS4, PC)

Lister

Banned
Wasn't Tropico 5 a downgrade in graphics from 4? Not sure about game mechanics, but it seemed so similar that I skipped it.

Definitely agree that they need to really revamp the game for 6. If they do I'll be interested.

Wasn't Tropico 5 a downgrade in graphics from 4? Not sure about game mechanics, but it seemed so similar that I skipped it.

Definitely agree that they need to really revamp the game for 6. If they do I'll be interested.
It was a downgrade in gameplay as well.

Meier

I'll play it again but I swear to god I hope they fix some of the issues that have been around for so many years. Please make the construction workers actually do their job in a realistic time frame. It has been many editions now where regardless of your efforts, it's fucking impossible to get workers to actually follow instructions half the time.

Aangster

Tropico 5 was an upgrade in graphics (especially quality of character models), but a drop in everything else. Apart from era and placement grids, it lacked new mechanics and launched with less content, e.g. building types and customisations for El Presidente. The devs need to prove themselves this time round.

Yoshi88

People mostly prefer 4 over 5, and I agree 5 still has some typical weirdness and quirks like construction worker problems, workforce that teleports to leisure buildings but not workplaces etc. But overall it was a much more comprehensive, polished and fun package and generally tries to compile the best out of the previous iterations imo.

So I'm really looking forward to the new one. Great relaxing games without the pressure of high end city sims like C:S.

And their PS4 port and especially the transfer to a console UI was top notch!! Great times chilling on the couch and playing with a dual shock.

Aaron D.

Curious but not sold.

Loved T3 & T4, but was pretty disappointed with T5.

Keeping an open mind and hoping it delivers.

Aangster

The FAQ has got me interested: http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=29665

Runs on Unreal Engine 4, nice.

Of course, with new devs, the outcome remains to be seen. But, it looks like they're trying to address past mistakes (and the conspicuous removal of much loved mechanics).

Please introduce a better DLC policy/program too. Give us a stronger reason to support paid post-launch content Kalypso.

Taffer

Will the typical and sometimes dark Tropico humour be back?
Yes, but it will be slightly different, simply due to the change in the writing team.

I am all for slightly diffferent considering T5 was a mess of memes and Hitchhiker's Guide references. I did like Leon Kane's voice though, he sounded like an arch pervert.

Most interesting for me is the new transport options, I wonder if taxis for Tropicans means fewer jobs with magic cars -> how about them buses.

DOWN

Banned
I liked Tropico 5 on PS4 honestly

The FAQ has got me interested: http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=29665

Runs on Unreal Engine 4, nice.

Of course, with new devs, the outcome remains to be seen. But, it looks like they're trying to address past mistakes (and the conspicuous removal of much loved mechanics).

Please introduce a better DLC policy/program too. Give us a stronger reason to support paid post-launch content Kalypso.
Wait there's a new dev team?

ShinZed

Just read the FAQ, I'm cautiously optimistic. They certainly sound like they have taken the criticisms about lack of different buildings on board.

Then again I quite enjoyed T5. I'd say T4 was the better game overall but 5 was still fun.

TBH, a small detail but something that always drove my pseudo OCD crazy was the lack of gap space between buildings lol

e.g. you put some houses together facing different directions and their walls (and windows) touch, or walls of a house get placed perfectly tight against the back door of a bakery.

my city blocks were always like a puzzly struggle to try get all the 'effects' efficient and close to houses/etc, but also to try make everything aesthetically pleasing (e.g. no touching walls).

@ 0:50 looks like those apartments have a couple facing different directions, and also some houses or something, too, and all nice gaps between them all :D

other than that, just hoping for a smooth and polished upgrade to V... I usually prefer strategy games on PC but I got Tropico V free with PS+ and it was surprisingly fun (and playable) on PS4... just some frame rate issues as you get about 1500-2000 population (and a weird population cap around 2200 people where suddenly ppl would mass emigrate to keep the pop. below the cap -_-).

hope they improve the farms and mills, too... the 'city life' detail of them. I always loved the game the most during the Colonial and World Wars section, plaintations through to industrialization.

The Phantom Plantations and The Mills of Liberty shall return ~

Seems a few new building options... Immigration Office seems new. Also, a Courthouse and a Ministry. Radio Station to fill the gap between Newspaper and TV Station. Billboards and Statues. Research Lab. Few others... Just in general, maybe seems like a few new buildings for different building types. Not sure if anything was removed but hopefully it's a net gain. Offshore Office sounds interesting. Wonder if it works like Embassies and are nation-specific.

Pirates and Raids seem interesting... I hope the appearance of the Pirate Cove changes through the ages though haha. Looks like it's Colonial Era-only.

Construction animations seem the same... Was hoping for some better graphical detail... maybe more like The Settlers or something. Palace customization looks neat though, and the new transportation stuff looks great. And nice to see dirt roads back in for the Colonial Era haha.

Can't wait to grow sugar plantations and run rum distilleries again. The rum and steel in these tropicos go through El Presidente, or they ain't going!

Top Bottom