• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump becomes first US president to visit Western Wall

KSweeley

Link: http://thehill.com/policy/internati...omes-first-us-president-to-visit-western-wall

05/22/17

President Trump on Monday became the first sitting U.S. president to visit the Western Wall in Jerusalem, the holiest site where Jews are allowed to pray.

Trump approached the wall, rested his hand on it in a moment of silent reflection and placed a note inside — as is traditional practice for worshippers. The president covered his head with a kippah, a skullcap worn by observant Jews.

Volimar

DAdFMA9XYAUGs91.jpg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm surprised he didn't recoil in pain after touching the wall and starting to burn.

Ganhyun

I'm surprised he didn't recoil in pain after touching the wall and starting to burn.

Guessing that means he is a terrible person, but not the AntiChrist* or a demon in disguise.

*Not actually sure if the AntiChrist would be affected by a Jewish religious wall or not.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This makes everyone look cheap: religion, the office of the presidency, and Trump himself.

I guess it doesn't matter who you are and what your character is .... as long as you touch a magic wall, you somehow get social currency.

Non-native speaker here. Wall is feminine ? Shouldn't it be " it " ?

Grammatically speaking yes, objects in English do not have genders. However sometimes people will gender objects for comedic (like this) or sentimental (in the past sailors have named their ships as women) effect

Permanently A

In English objects don't have genders like they do in other languages. The reason the poster used "her secrets" here was to make the joke funnier, by personifying (making the object like a person) the wall, implying the wall is some old lady with untold wisdom.

((((Trump))))

Seriously tho. The fact that this happened makes zero sense, ESPECIALLY when you take into account the leaked Intel situation

Christine

Words don't have grammatical gender in English, so normally "it" would be used. In this case the gendered pronoun is being used as a stylistic device to anthropomorphize the wall.

Grammatically speaking yes, objects in English do not have genders. However sometimes people will gender objects for comedic (like this) or sentimental (in the past sailors have named their ships as women) effect

Since we're speaking about grammar instead of Trump, technically speaking you mean inanimate objects, as the object of a sentence can be animate and as such have a gender.

#Semantics

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
The note he placed in the wall is without a doubt a folded up copy of the electoral college map.

Nivash

Maybe Trump would be a good test to settle whatever is actually the One True Religion. In which case, uh, sorry Jews. Yours wasn't it.

We should have a Trump touch the Pope and Kaba next. Ooh, this is so exciting!

Pagusas

Elden Member

You ever heard someone refer to their car with "isn't she beautiful?" Or notice how some boats are given female names? We like to personify things, and as women are the most beautiful and cherished of things, we use their gender in association with things we love.

I'm surprised he didn't fall asleep looking at it.

He probably didn't know a single thing about that wall until Spicer briefed him on it.

Top Bottom