• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump berates Jewish reporter when asked about plan of actions against anti-semitism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

Video here

I was absolutely stunned that Trump is so self-centered that his first response is the incredible thing:

'I'm the least anti-Semite person that you've seen in the entire life. Number two. Racism. Least racist person. I am the least racist person in the world."

NY Times:

The exchange began with Mr. Turx standing up from his third-row seat and gesturing slightly toward his fellow reporters:

“Despite what some of my colleagues may have been reporting, I haven’t seen anybody in my community accuse either yourself or anyone on your staff of being anti-Semitic. We understand that you have Jewish grandchildren. You are their zayde,” which is Yiddish for “grandfather” and often a word of great affection.

At that Mr. Trump nodded slightly, and said, “thank you.”

“However,” Mr. Turx continued, “what we are concerned about and what we haven’t really heard being addressed is an uptick in anti-Semitism and how the government is planning to take care of it. There’s been a report out that 48 bomb threats have been made against Jewish centers all across the country in the last couple of weeks. There are people committing anti-Semitic acts or threatening to——”

At that, Mr. Trump interrupted, saying it was “not a fair question.”

“Sit down,” the president commanded. “I understand the rest of your question.”

As Mr. Turx took his seat, Mr. Trump said, “So here’s the story, folks. No. 1, I am the least anti-Semitic person that you’ve ever seen in your entire life. No. 2, racism, the least racist person.”

Mr. Turx tried to interject, realizing how the encounter had turned. He said he had wanted to clarify that he in no way meant to accuse Mr. Trump of anti-Semitism but instead intended to ask what his administration could do to stop the anti-Semitic incidents.

But Mr. Trump would not let him speak again, saying, “Quiet, quiet, quiet.” As Mr. Turx shook his head with an incredulous look on his face, Mr. Trump accused him of having lied that his question would be straight and simple.

Mr. Trump said, “I find it repulsive. I hate even the question because people that know me. …”

He went on to say that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel, during his visit to the United States on Wednesday, had vouched for Mr. Trump as a good friend of Israel and the Jewish people and no anti-Semite.

Mr. Trump concluded that Mr. Turx should have relied on Mr. Netanyahu’s endorsement, “instead of having to get up and ask a very insulting question like that.”

“Just shows you about the press, but that’s the way the press is,” Mr. Trump said.

At the news conference, Mr. Turx was referring to a rash of incidents that have shaken many American Jews since Mr. Trump was elected. On three separate days in January, Jewish synagogues, community centers and schools across the country received what seemed to be a coordinated wave of telephone bomb threats that led to evacuations and F.B.I. investigations. Other Jewish institutions have seen an uptick in vandalism and graffiti in the last few months.

It was the second time in two days that Mr. Trump was asked to denounce anti-Semitism and offer American Jews a dose of reassurance. In his joint news conference with Mr. Netanyahu, Mr. Trump responded to a question about anti-Semitism by breezily recounting the size of his Electoral College victory and then reminding the reporters that his daughter, Ivanka, his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and their three children — Mr. Trump’s grandchildren — are all Jewish.

The Anti-Defamation League issued a statement on Thursday that said, “It is mind-boggling why President Trump prefers to shout down a reporter or brush this off as a political distraction.”

David Harris, chief executive of the American Jewish Committee, said, “Respectfully, Mr. President, please use your bully pulpit not to bully reporters asking questions potentially affecting millions of fellow Americans, but rather to help solve a problem that, for many, is real and menacing.”

Meanwhile, the Jewish reporter is apparently working for Ami Magazine, which is an orthodox conservative Jewish magazine, whose editor-in-chief actually wanted Trump to get elected:

The magazine interviewed Mr. Trump before he declared he was running for president and did so again during the campaign.

“We didn’t do a political endorsement of him, but I really wanted the president to be elected, and I do want him to succeed,” said Rabbi Frankfurter, the editor in chief.

Mrs. Frankfurter, the magazine’s senior editor, said it was clear that Mr. Trump was not an anti-Semite and that Mr. Trump “must have misheard the question” from the magazine’s reporter. “The president is very sensitive to such an accusation, and we find the fact that he’s sensitive to it reassuring,” she said, because it means he understands how awful it is to be thought of as an anti-Semite.

Rabbi Frankfurter, whose parents survived the Holocaust, said, “Perhaps the president should speak out more vigorously than he has. He’s got a bully pulpit, and he should use it for good reasons.”

You get what you vote for, I guess.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/17/...x.html?src=twr&smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

I know many Jewish people that voted for trump.

I told them that they would get get no sympathy from me when they have to deal with anti-Semitic shit coming from either his administration or people he impowered, aka Neo-nazis.

Still stand by that.

Nobody should be surprised by his attitude.

Steel

Banned
I wasn't able to fully hear the question at the time, but, damn, that reporter really bent over backward to compliment Trump on not being an anti-Semitic individual and Trump still blew up on him.

Dunkley

'I'm the least anti-Semite person that you've seen in the entire life. Number two. Racism. Least racist person. I am the least racist person in the world."

1f2yZ7s.gif

Can't wait for the press conference where he talks about his crowd size, fake news and being the least racist person in the world.

1f2yZ7s.gif

Can't wait for the press conference where he talks about his crowd size, fake news and being the least racist person in the world.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not, because he talked about 2 of those three things yesterday.

Maybe next time Turx won't start off by sucking him off.

I think he started that way specifically to avoid Trump thinking it was an attack so that he could get an answer.

Meanwhile, the Jewish reporter is apparently working for Ami Magazine, which is an orthodox conservative Jewish magazine, whose editor-in-chief actually wanted Trump to get elected:

Ahahahahahahahahha.

Kind of serves them right. Embarrassing that they think they speak for all Jewish people.

Someone please just interrupt him and tell him to shut the fuck up and stop lying.

My question would be "Mr. Trump, are you prepared to be impeached for your administration's treasonous actions throughout the election?"

And then I would be dragged out kicking and screaming while Trump starts talking about how Clinton would have already been impeached, therefore his dick would still be bigger than hers.

If he is the least racist person in the world then how come he didnt want to rent his apartments to black people? That does not make sense

Pedrito

He has a serious persecution complex. All he had to do was to say that anti-semitism is bad and that they will look into it. How is that hard? Instead, he rambles about how he has a black jewish friend, tells the reporter to sit down and lectures him.

Amazing that someone with such poor social skills managed to get this far.

Amalthea

Banned
Someone please just interrupt him and tell him to shut the fuck up and stop lying.
Somebody should totally do this. I have known a person who is very much like Trump. Always behaving like a total asshole towards everyone but expecting that all of them are extremely polite and nice to him. Judging from my experience with that person, Trump would completely blow up if somebody ever talked to him like he does to everyone else.

I want to the spreadsheet/power rankings on the least racist/anti-semitic people in the world. Obviously, Trump is number 1, but who is number 2?

Doesn't Trump have Jewish family members, though?
Him promising to move the US embassy to Jerusalem doesn't sound antisemitic to me either.

the craziest strings of evangelical christianity view israel as indispensable to their version of the second coming of jesus despite their frequent overlap with antisemetism. bannon or someone similar is likely behind the jerusalem thing.

that, or it's the only city in israel trump knows the name of, so he wants the embassy there.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

You get what you vote for, I guess.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/17/...x.html?src=twr&smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

I know many Jewish people that voted for trump.

I told them that they would get get no sympathy from me when they have to deal with anti-Semitic shit coming from either his administration or people he impowered, aka Neo-nazis.

Still stand by that.

Nobody should be surprised by his attitude.

Many Jews vote Republican, being that it is the party that is more often the most visible at securing and maintaining strong relations with Israel. It's the single-issue vote for them in most cases.

In this case though, allying with Trump was a serious lapse in judgement for even that critical concern.

Him promising to move the US embassy to Jerusalem doesn't sound antisemitic to me either.
He has a Jewish son-in-law. That does not prove or disprove anything.

Also, did he not go back on his word to move the embassy?

I wasn't able to fully hear the question at the time, but, damn, that reporter really bent over backward to compliment Trump on not being an anti-Semitic individual and Trump still blew up on him.

You don't understand, he promised Trump he'd ask a simple and nice question, but he used so many words and it seemed like he'd never finish!1 And it's a hard question because he's surrounded by Nazis.

This shows a lack of geopolitical awareness, frankly.

Bannon telling Trump to stoke outrage among Palestinians has no bearing on whether or not Trump is antisemitic.

Trump's alliance with Netanyahu is merely part of a broad strategic maneuver.

Meanwhile, I don't believe Trump is actually antisemitic, but rather, conscientiously playing to his base which is to NOT disavow racism or antisemitism.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The mental gymnastics involved in this is astounding. Taking on Bannon should have been and open and shut case on how Trump feels about Jews.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
“what we are concerned about and what we haven’t really heard being addressed is an uptick in anti-Semitism and how the government is planning to take care of it. There’s been a report out that 48 bomb threats have been made against Jewish centers all across the country in the last couple of weeks. There are people committing anti-Semitic acts or threatening to——”

At that, Mr. Trump interrupted, saying it was “not a fair question.”

“Sit down,” the president commanded. “I understand the rest of your question.”

Mr. Trump said, “I find it repulsive. I hate even the question because people that know me. …”

Mr. Trump concluded that Mr. Turx should have relied on Mr. Netanyahu’s endorsement, “instead of having to get up and ask a very insulting question like that.”

“Just shows you about the press, but that’s the way the press is,” Mr. Trump said.

There was no question. There literally were a thousand ways this exposition could've gone, but Trump cut him off before he even got near his question.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Maggie Haberman ‏@maggieNYT 20h20 hours ago

Trump says a question from a reporter for a Jewish publication about rising anti-Semitism is "not a fair question."
214 replies 4,078 retweets 5,614 likes
Maggie Haberman ‏@maggieNYT 20h20 hours ago

"See, he lied and said he was going to get up and ask a very straight simple question," Trump says of reporter with yarmulke who asked q.
50 replies 559 retweets 773 likes

Jake Turx Verified account
‏@JakeTurx
@maggieNYT Ask me why I'm defending the President for being defensive about anti-Semitism. Go ahead. Ask.

CNN ‏@CNN 17h17 hours ago

48 Jewish community centers in the US and Canada received bomb threats in January, according to a count by CNN http://cnn.it/2lYBH55
103 replies 311 retweets 231 likes

Jake Turx Verified account
‏@JakeTurx

.@CNN And the Administration will work together with the Jewish community to address that. I'm confident of it.

This guy sounds delusional.

This was great. The reporter pitched him a super softball. Trump managed to whack the ball and the bat into his own face. Crazy bastard.

rjinaz

Yeah well I have Black family members. Doesn't stop my family from saying racist shit on facebook. They just see them as one of the good ones. It means nothing.

Fucking asshole. Violence against Jews is woefully under-reported and is an actual concern. He completely brushed it off as if it meant nothing.

Smellycat

That was incredible!! The guy is simply insane. o_O

He lives in his own world... what kind of rational person would interpret this question as an attack? Unless he is once again projecting...

Edit: Actually, the reporter never even got to ask his question. He is also a Trump supporter wtf

You know, all he has to say is "I'm not racist". Why does he have to say that he's "least racist person you'll ever know"? He speaks like a fucking child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom