• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump challenges states on voter fraud: ‘What are they trying to hide?’

KSweeley

Link: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/881137079958241280

yP0kjjD.jpg

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-on-voter-fraud-what-are-they-trying-to-hide/

July 1, 2017

President Trump on Saturday lashed out at the more than two dozen states that have objected to a presidential commission's sweeping request for voter data, accusing them of circumventing public scrutiny over potential voter fraud.

Trump's tweet, issued a day after he arrived at his Bedminister estate in New Jersey for a three-night stay, highlighted the political stakes over his effort to validate his widespread claims of rampant illegal voting through the Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity, which is being led by Vice President Pence and Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach (R). Trump, who lost the popular vote to Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, has claimed that millions of immigrants living in the country illegally cast votes for her.

The White House has said the commission will embark upon a “thorough review of registration and voting issues in federal elections,” but experts and voting rights advocates have pilloried Trump for his claims of widespread fraud, which studies and state officials alike have not found. They say that they fear the commission will be used to restrict voting.

Those worries intensified this week after the commission sent letters to 50 states and the District on Wednesday asking for a trove of information, including names, dates of birth, voting histories and, if possible, party identifications. The letters also asked for evidence of voter fraud, convictions for election-related crimes and recommendations for preventing voter intimidation — all within 16 days.

While the Trump administration has said it is just requesting public information, the letters met with swift — and sometimes defiant — rejection. By Saturday, 25 states were partially or entirely refusing to provide the requested information; some said state laws prohibit releasing certain details about voters, while others refused to provide any information because of the commission’s makeup and backstory.

Zolo

kevin1025

Banned
I think they're trying to hide people's information so that you don't suppress and intimidate them, Mr. President.

What are you trying to hide by spreading lies about illegal voting that have been consistently rebutted? Maybe you should fire all their legislators and rebuild them from scratch yourself. I'm sure that'd go over well.

Aurongel

Even right leaning pollsters don't back his claims on voter fraud. It only makes sense that he acquires his own data then uses a hand picked team to reach the consensus he's actually looking for.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
My social security last four digits and date of birth? So he won't pass it on to Russian "hackers" (intelligence agents) to steal my identity?

fucking hell

Christian

Even right leaning pollsters don't back his claims on voter fraud. It only makes sense that he acquires his own data then uses a hand picked team to reach the consensus he's actually looking for.

Which makes you wonder why he even cares. They're going to make up whatever conclusions they want anyway.

Armaros

Which makes you wonder why he even cares. They're going to make up whatever conclusions they want anyway.

He is hung up on losing the popular vote and it grates h to this day.

That's why he keeps talking about his electoral college numbers.

So the information requested as basically everything? nothing good can come from Trump knowing exactly who voted for him, or didn't as the case may be

Chumly

We all know that they will take this information and then announce 10 million people voted illegally (all democrats btw). Then when someone actually looks at the data they will be like omg did you guys know there's more than one John smith in the United States?

Damaniel

Banned
States don't have anything to hide, they just don't want Trump to have all that info. WIth that amount and type of information, he could potentially go on retaliatory witch hunts against people who didn't vote for him.

Beartruck

He's asking them to send it all to an unsecured email server too. I'll try to act shocked when Russia hacks into it.

Man, he just cannot let go losing the popular vote. He did not completely win the election, thus the petty fuck's soul is slowly burning.

mclem

The US president is refusing to give information to the very distinguished PEOPLE WHO'D QUITE LIKE TO READ HIS TAX RETURNS. What is he trying to hide?

zeemumu

We've been asking you that question for a long time now.

Maybe they don't want to hand out personal information to a sketchy-ass panel

The ones against.
DDpuOWZXcAE4rGI.jpg:large

Must have conked out before TX refused. I was sure we'd fall in line.

This vote fraud panel is co-chaired by Kris Kobach alongside Pence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kris_Kobach#False_claims_about_voter_fraud

Ari Berman, the guy posting the updates on the refusing states, penned an article about Kobach. Kris referes to his own self as "the ACLU's worst nightmare". An organization that fights for civil liberties and he puts himself in direct opposition to them. That's the man Trump is relying on to sate his ego. All it tells me is that he's fine with subterfuge, manipulation & a giant lie if it means he gets to gloat about being right.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The nerve of this asshole to ask, "What are they trying to hide?"

Where are your tax returns? Where is that stuff we "wouldn't believe" your people found about Obama's birth certificate?

Iolo

i'm going to be charitable and assume he wants all these birth dates and last fours of your social so he can come up with memorable nuclear codes

WMBT27

[You, an administration under investigation for colluding with a foreign power to undermine our electoral process] Hey, give me all your information, your social, and who you voted for so we can use it for...reasons

[Me, clearly a sophisticated intellectual] No

Top Bottom