• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump challenges states on voter fraud: ‘What are they trying to hide?’

riotous

Banned
I know here in WA they are sending everything they deemed legal to send.

Pretty sure most of these states aren't "making a stand."

Ir's blatantly obvious that the GOP are now the party of Do as I say not as I Do.

Umm actually, I recently learned that the GOP are actually geniuses and are concerned about what the debt will be like in a few decades if they don't kill a bunch of poor people now. If they don't cull the herd today, even more will die in the future.

I must admit I don't understand how who you voted for can be public knowledge. I know if you voted at all is public knowledge but I thought General Elections were a secret ballot. Can someone explain how anyone else can know which party you voted for in a secret ballot? Because if that's true then it's not a secret ballot and that's fucked up.
Your ballot is secret. That you are registered to vote, when you have voted and what party you are registered with (and who you donated money to) are public records.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
The ones against.
DDpuOWZXcAE4rGI.jpg:large

Where my MD.

Don't tell me you're rolling over Hogan. Here I thought you were one of the good ones.

Political theater designed to cast doubt on our democratic institutions.
Absolutely, I'm not arguing that. Hell, I'm not even saying Trump won't try to suppress or intimidate voters. I'm just saying that asking for these lists doesn't support the conspiracy theories being trotted out. Trump surely already has these lists. The RNC already has these lists and more. Not to go all "both sides," but the DNC has these lists. Clinton has these lists. Effective use of these lists are part of what made Obama's campaigns so dominant. Shitty use of these lists is what made Romney's campaign stumble on Election Day (although he would've lost anyway.) Every semi-serious candidate has these lists. Putin doesn't need Trump to get these lists, he just needs 50 spies that can convincingly pretend to be candidates to get them.

Izuna

Banned
Imagine if Obama had a committee looking into voter suppression and said the same thing when states wouldn't hand over information.

You'd get the exact same conspiracy theories from the other side. That they will target voters for the other party.

Which is why it's a good thing the Dems didn't do this.

Izuna

Banned
Umm actually, I recently learned that the GOP are actually geniuses and are concerned about what the debt will be like in a few decades if they don't kill a bunch of poor people now. If they don't cull the herd today, even more will die in the future.

whiteguyblink.7zip

KSweeley

Where my MD.

Don't tell me you're rolling over Hogan. Here I thought you were one of the good ones.

As a fellow Marylander, I am angry that we aren't one of the states opposing this but Hogan decided to oppose the Senate healthcare proposal: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-senate-health-care-20170622-story.html

Hours after the bill was made public, four conservative senators announced their opposition, saying the measure doesn't go far enough to unwind Obamacare. Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, meanwhile, joined a chorus of centrist Republicans who are concerned about how the legislation would affect their states.

Hogan, a popular governor up for re-election next year, does not have direct influence over what is playing out in Washington and has largely avoided weighing in on national politics. But his position will almost certainly be used by opponents of the law to pressure Republican senators who are on the fence.

"We know the current system needs to be fixed, but the proposals that are being considered in Congress do not work for Maryland," Hogan spokeswoman Amelia Chasse said in a statement — the strongest the governor's office has issued on the issue.

"Congress should go back to the drawing board in an open, transparent and bipartisan fashion to craft a bill that works for all Americans," she said.

riotous

Banned
It's funny to consider that most of the states opposing this voted for Trump.

You guys are going by a Tweet that I can tell you is factually wrong; the very liberal Washington State isn't "opposing" the request, they sent all information they deemed was legal.

It's quite possible that is basically a list of States whose laws prevent sharing the information (or are sharing most of the requested info but leaving out some, as is the case for Washington State); and also.. since it's a random ass tweet making a false claim (opposing), it could just be blatantly wrong.

gazele

Banned
Hoping we can get to 50 before the deadline

The point is that some of this information is already publicly available and that the SOS for these states will not give up information that they are not legally allowed to (which the commission wants)

You guys are getting all up in arms about this, but as I'm reading these various states' responses, they're all just following state laws regarding voter registration lists. The ones who have stricter laws regarding them just get to score political points by "standing up" to Trump.

If Trump really wants the lists, he could get them as a candidate.

You are severely underestimating the power of data if you believe that to be true.

riotous

Banned
You are severely underestimating the power of data if you believe that to be true.

You are misreading that post; the point is none of these states are actually standing up to anything. They are complying with law. People are praising these States and saying things like "WOW EVEN OKLAHOMA IS AGAINST THIS" when there's no logic to that.

Even IF that random ass tweet is true (and it might not be) States like OK are likely just complying with the law. They can't legally give all the information requested, therefor they didn't. This is not a time to praise these backwards legislatures.

Sure, most of the info the commission is requesting is already publicly available and if Trump/Kobach wants it, they can go through the normal channels and get it. What I like about the denials is how some (at least the ones written by Dems) are taking the opportunity to call this sham out on what it really is - a commission put together because of a bullshit claim by the president of "millions" of illegal votes, and one which will inevitably be used to push for more onerous voter registration/ID requirements to suppress the votes of minorities, the poor, and other democratic-leaning populations.

120v

i can't tell if this is ingenious or royally stupid. grand scheme of "going after voter fraud" is the intimidation it creates among oft-surpressed voting blocs

norm9

This would have picked up steam, luckily some the "non-elite" joined the fray so this can't be a simple blame the coasters.

KSweeley

Anyone know what OFA is?: https://www.ofa.us/defend-voting-rights/

Defend voting rights for all Americans

This administration's commission to investigate almost non-existent "voter fraud" is nothing more than a cover for them to suppress voting rights—to threaten the most powerful tool of citizenship we have with registration barriers, restricted early and absentee voting, and other laws that obstruct an inclusive democracy.

We can't let it happen. Say you'll defend this basic right today

Imagine if Obama was asking for this kind of personal information.

Right would be in meltdown mode.

But when Trump does it? All winning all the time.

Top Bottom