• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump raises rent on own Campaign HQ from $35,000 to 170,000 using Campaign Donations

Status
Not open for further replies.
ehhh its not like the Clinton's aren't writing a ton of stuff off on the clinton foundation....

People like you are so tiresome. You wave something off and pretend it's no big deal, because something-something might be happening on the other side, then you make some vague assumptions with false equivalency. I guess to be expected from a Trump cheerleader, which you've shown yourself to be.

platocplx

I cant believe this is legal. They are pretty much filtering money back into their family businesses using campaign donations. How the hell is the legal?
He literally could create trump X company for some campaign purpose and put money back into his pocket.

This is hilarious. The best part is he's just wasting Republican donor money that could've made an actual impact in a close house or senate race. Now it's just lining Trump's pockets. Couldn't ask for a better situation if I wrote it myself.

ehhh its not like the Clinton's aren't writing a ton of stuff off on the clinton foundation....

Hey, it's both sides guy.

LSFcVyn.jpg

LOL

XS5LK.gif

If nothing has changed substantially then either he was undercharging before or overcharging now, or both I guess. Which I would have thought would warrant questions from the FEC.

[boots]

?? He had an HBO show for a pretty long time after SNL, and even hosted Monday Night Football for a (small) spell.

Also The Net lol.

Was the HBO stint when he was conservative or just Dennis Miller? I seriously can't recall this at all. And shit, he WAS in the Net.

Regardless, I stand by my belief he presented himself as conservative purely for the easy access to republican viewership rather than having to fight with how many other celebrities for the moderate/liberal markets.

Link

The Autumn Wind
thats not true, if anything Im surprised he was able to give himself a discount, im pretty sure the law is actually that they have to pay the same rent that anyone else would but idk

I know that with my business I was considering renting out an apt to my mom and I was advised that I have to charge her the same thing I would charge anyone else, so it was kinda pointless.
You're looking at it backwards. He's not giving "himself" a discount; he's charging the campaign 5x more than what he was before, meaning his business is pocketing all that money.

I assume this is legal in some roundabout sense.

At least he is effectively stealing money from republicans stupid enough to support him.

Kyzer

Banned
You're looking at it backwards. He's not giving "himself" a discount; he's charging the campaign 5x more than what he was before, meaning his business is pocketing all that money.

You're not allowed to charge yourself less or more than you would anyone else. He should be pocketing money. Thats the whole point of what we were saying, he is probably now charging what he was supposed to be. Which still begs the question what kind of discount loophole he was using to not pay as much as he is now

Link

The Autumn Wind
You're not allowed to charge yourself less or more than you would anyone else. He should be pocketing money. Thats the whole point of what we were saying, he is probably now charging what he was supposed to be. Which still begs the question what kind of discount loophole he was using to not pay as much as he is now
You actually think that office space costs $170k a month to rent? I wish you were my tenant.

The rent on my office is $141,000 per month. It's one upper level floor of a building near Times Square. Not super fancy, our floor needs a renovation,, but a good amount of space and amazing views. So the price isn't that absurd.

Not trying to defend Trump or anything, but the rent probably isn't that unreasonable if it's a lot of space in his tower.

You actually think that office space costs $170k a month to rent? I wish you were my tenant.

Given that the Clinton campaign is paying more than $200K per month for office space in Brooklyn, yes.

The Huffington Post article omits the critical detail of how much space the Trump campaign is using. Without that, it's hard to say if he is overcharging his campaign now or was undercharging his campaign previously. Either one could be an issue for the FEC, certainly, but what we don't know is if he's extracting an enormous profit for himself in this particular instance.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'll take your word for it, guys. Guess we'll find out one way or the other at some point.

Gutek

The rent on my office is $141,000 per month. It's one upper level floor of a building near Times Square. Not super fancy, our floor needs a renovation,, but a good amount of space and amazing views. So the price isn't that absurd.

Not trying to defend Trump or anything, but the rent probably isn't that unreasonable if it's a lot of space in his tower.

It was cheaper when Trump was footing the bill. Now that donors opened up their pockets, the rent suddenly increased exponentially. That is what this is about.

Kyzer

Banned

Well i mean. do you have any idea how big a general election campaign operation is?

Anyways I'm merely pointing out the facts, im against trump too, but what I said is still true, and no, the fact that it's 170k is not unbelievable

Ponn

Banned
Hahaha, theres the Trump we know. The businessman. He is not even in office and he's trying to make millions from just running for president picking the pockets of Americans. Always thinking of himself. Wonder how those gloating about donating after the RNC feel now, you're hard earned money went into Scrooge McDuck's pocket book. Yet it was looking pulling teeth to get him to finally buy some ads in swing states.

Eusis

At this point I wonder if they're waiting for a strategic moment to strike and completely destroy him. Like when the campaign is over just round up all the offenses and destroy him.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I was all set to be outraged at this until I read that last line about Clinton's rent too. Trump is still paying less than her.

So, "Trump gives himself less of a discount" might be a more accurate and less inflammatory headline. But we would actually need more data to say for sure.

Clinton seems to be renting around $30 a square foot which seems below market rate.

Is this thread serious? Like, is this whole Trump thing crumbling all down or what?

His campaign has been on a downhill course recently. His mouth diarrhea only took him so far and now it's having diminishing returns. He needs more kindle for his dwindling fire.

Instead of tending to that fire he's just making his usual potshots on twitter and funneling money to himself.

The most eye raising thing about this is that his staff decreased from March until July. That's not how this works. But, then again, I don't think Trump knows how this works anyway.

Let's dispel with this fiction that Trump doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing.

The most eye raising thing about this is that his staff decreased from March until July. That's not how this works. But, then again, I don't think Trump knows how this works anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom