• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump says he "would be honoured" to meet with Kim Jong Un

RowdyReverb

I mean, honoured is the wrong word but opening communication isn't the worst thing in the world.

He would probably get a hell of a deal on coal.
I agree. The scariest thing about NK is their unpredictability. Might be aiming for flattery to get a foot in the door. I'd imagine Kim is susceptible to that

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Gotta love how he is only saying this type of shit to DICTATORS but not to anyone else. Dictators know their own kind. Impeach this cock hole of shit dick now.
This is the things that gets me more than any other. He keeps complimenting and playing noce with dictators and being passive or accusatory in some cases with scientist, humantarians, environmentalist, the media...

It's scary and obvious what he's doing, but scarier many still follow him (but thankfully he has the lowest approval ratings of any US president in the first 100 days ever).

This is why Obama spoke slowly and chose his words very, very carefully.

Some people might write this off as Trump merely mouthing off without thinking as he always does, but lord, the President of the United States using such fawning, kowtowing language about a hostile foreign dictator is an unbelievable PR disaster.

Zophar

I actually don't think it's a bad idea to open dialogue with hostile nations, I just don't trust Trump to be the one to do anything intelligent about it. I agreed with Obama back in 2007 when he said he'd be willing to meet with Iran without preconditions for example.

I guess he's gunning for his Nixon goes to China moment.
A lot of the tension between the US and DPRK could be mitigated by thawing relations. We have no formal diplomatic relationship, after all.

Wouldn't be opposed to that at all. I wonder how NK would handle Kim Jong being invited to the US, given the state's propaganda about the US being a wasteland full of savages.

danowat

Banned
Honoured probably isn't the best turn of phrase to use, but I think a meeting between the two might be a good idea.......or not, damn, could you imagine if those two joined forces......shudder..........

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
What if they met, Kim Jong Un said some shit, and they got in a fist fight. That shit would be hilarious, and breaking news for sure.

Gotta love how he is only saying this type of shit to DICTATORS but not to anyone else. Dictators know their own kind. Impeach this cock hole of shit dick now.

Dictators intimitate him into the "child" part of "manchild" cuz he knows thry mean business. This also puts him closer to how he ran his private business: by fiat instead of compromises and layers of responsibility even at the top.

That and he literally fucking forgot that nk is what the state dep, the military, and the ic have been on for the last few weeks because derrrrrrrp.

SDCowboy

I don't get the outrage. What's wrong with wanting to have an actual meeting with NK? People don't want war, but then also many don't seem to like diplomacy when it comes to NK.

Honestly sounds like bait for a trap.Get Kim to meet in a pre-decided location and get a Seal team in to kidnap or kill him.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
"We have breaking news...I'm getting a Coke. You want a Coke?"

Trump just doesn't make any distinction between world leaders, he's just happy to be part of that "special club" and just wants to hobnob with all of them at his resort. Every country has done bad things; who is he not be honoured in the presence of utterly inhumane dictators, after all?

JordanN

Banned
I posted this yesterday, but it stills hold true.

Get ready America for your first El Presidente for life.

OJHREin.png

Amalthea

Banned
The guy has no principles at all except being a colossal piece of shit, he just takes stances however he feels like every morning.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I actually don't mind this. I wouldn't be surprised if a meeting between Kim and an American president would re-orient NK/Western relations forever.

Slacker

I don't get the outrage. What's wrong with wanting to have an actual meeting with NK? People don't want war, but then also many don't seem to like diplomacy when it comes to NK.

1) I wouldn't trust the Big Orange Baby to negotiate my DirecTV bill, much less peace with a sworn enemy.

2) When you meet someone who regularly murders his own people, you don't say, "Wow, it's a great honor to meet you!"

Paskil

I agree. The scariest thing about NK is their unpredictability. Might be aiming for flattery to get a foot in the door. I'd imagine Kim is susceptible to that

Nah, Trump is just gonna end up getting honeydicked while thinking he's the one doing the honeydicking.

jelly

Has an NK leader ever left the country in recent decades?

A paranoid person wouldn't do it.

Trump would need to visit NK.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This is where I'm at.

Kim Jong Un runs literal concentration camps like the nazis. He doesn't deserve any dignifying.
You're right, and that political sensibility is what lead traditional leaders to boycott the Kims, forever cutting off communication. But is that strategically advantageous in the long term?

If Trump's political incorrectness ignores the taboo of speaking with a murderous dictator, that's ethically wrong.... but maybe it's strategically valuable? Diplomacy between the US and NK would probably be a good thing, if the intention is to avoid war.

"Only Nixon could go to China".

RinsFury

How is this stupid motherfucker actually the President? Every single day I feel like beating my head off a brick wall.

No, a meeting wouldn't be the worst thing to deescalate tensions. But rolling over and showing your belly before a dialogue has even begun is very bad foreign policy.

Remember that South Korea is our ally and a huge economic power. The U.S. needs SK to trust us and know that we're not wavering in our commitment. North Korea has had a gun pointed at SK's proverbial head for decades. Saying it would be a "great honor" to meet with Kim is basically announcing to the world that we're open to being pushed around by loud, threatening bullies.

Barzul

I detest Trump very much and his wording is questionable. But I definitely do think if meeting with Kim Jong Un has any possibility in the deescalating the nuclear ICBM chase of NK, then it can't be off the table. Knowing Trump he probably envies the worship that Kim Jong Un gets from the North Korean people (achieved via propaganda).

Anyways my underlying point is I would welcome diplomacy here if it is achievable, just like I welcomed it with the Iran deal.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Honoured probably isn't the best turn of phrase to use, but I think a meeting between the two might be a good idea.......or not, damn, could you imagine if those two joined forces......shudder..........

He's American, there's no way he said "honoured."

Acosta

It´s pretty incredible that 100 days after there is still a thread for every single thing he says. Aren't you bored already?

7+ long years ahead.

Yeoman

The problem isn't opening up relations with North Korea, it's about the supposed leader of the free world being "honoured" to possibly meet the heir to arguably the most horrendous regime on the planet today.

I agree in general with a US president meeting with the leader of N Korea. It's either dialogue or war. Pick one. Because thats all there can be.

That being said I don't expect anything good from Trump. But I'd have been ok with Obama and Un meeting.

RinsFury

Trump is actively destroying alliances with countries like Germany, Canada, and Australia, while looking to forge new ones with Putin, Duterte, and Kim Jong Un. A true axis of evil.

Top Bottom