• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Trump Slump,' a Devastating Drop in Tourism to the United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Yup, postponed my trip to San Francisco until 4/8 years depending on how long Trump will be in power. Now other countries will get my money instead.

It's certainly off my holiday list. I may have to go for business, but not for pleasure while Trump is president.

My friends and I have also had the American coast-to-coast roadtrip on our bucket list of things we'll always be too busy to do (but maybe when we retire, maybe...)
Since that's going to mean driving through Trump country, it's no longer an aspiration.

jooso

Couldn't travel to US during the Obama period, can't really wait until Trumps presidency is over. Sorry for supporting him :(

DBT85

Said several times in other threads. Wife and I had 10 days in Vegas, Yosemite and San Fran last year as part of our honeymoon, we both said while we were there that if Trump won we wouldn't go back while he's in charge.

A guy I work with who would go twice a year and would do anything to BE American is doing the same.

Fuchsdh

Well you're not wrong. The ones that don't want to see foreigners. I bet small business owners are less than enthused though.

I'd wager a large number of Trump supporters don't actually rely financially on tourism dollars, or at least not directly. Most people certainly aren't going to the midwest to relish in its corn fields and flat land.

I'd imagine the slump in revenue is going to effect Trump Hotels also...silver lining!

Unfortunately by selling access to the president and laundering money through those hotels, I'm sure he'll be more than able to make up the difference.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Scaring off tourists, foreign brain drain, deporting people. That 3.5% GOP growth is going to be difficult to achieve.

Hesemonni

Banned
Yeah our family's going to skip US too. We went to Florida last May and were planning to go to California this May, but now, ehh..maybe not. I'm Scandinavian so it's not about the skin color either.

Phibes

Neo Member
I notice the numbers reported there are not presented in a context that compares them with the same period of the previous year, but simply reports a decline. If you look at this chart http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/tourist-arrivals you can see a steep decline in the same period last year, and if you click the 5Y button you see this exact pattern every year for the last 5 years as well. It appears they are using using normally expected declines and attaching a Trump Slump narrative to them. It would be like blaming Trump for a steep decline in retail because January is way down from December, while not making note of the fact that December is traditionally much higher because of the Holidays.

gcubed

I notice the numbers reported there are not presented in a context that compares them with the same period of the previous year, but simply reports a decline. If you look at this chart http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/tourist-arrivals you can see a steep decline in the same period last year, and if you click the 5Y button you see this exact pattern every year for the last 5 years as well. It appears they are using using normally expected declines and attaching a Trump Slump narrative to them. It would be like blaming Trump for a steep decline in retail because January is way down from December, while not making note of the fact that December is traditionally much higher because of the Holidays.

not really, they cite it as a 6.8% decline and any decline month over month from Dec to Jan was larger than that in previous years using the data that is at their site

tuxfool

Banned
There was a Bloomberg article specifically about German tourists. Polling would seem to confirm this data:

Almost half of Germans with an interest in traveling to the U.S. won't do so now because they feel unwelcome or don't want to endorse President Donald Trump.

About 46 percent of Germans who would like to visit the U.S. ”in principle" have changed their views on that destination since Trump took office and won't travel there as a result, according to a survey by GfK SE published in travel-industry magazine fvw.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...interest-in-u-s-vacations-on-trump-poll-shows

Nepenthe

You mean in a world filled overwhelmingly with people who would be considered minorities if living in the US, people don't wanna come here when we're attacking minorities? You don't say?

Was planning a Los Angeles/San Francisco/Las Vegas trip, but with it being crappy enough getting into the US in 2014 on our last trip, now it's just not worth it :p

Syder

Exactly what his supporters want tho. Less non-americans in the country!
Don't White Supremacists believe they're White Europeans that were given the lands of America by God?

As a European, I'd definitely think twice about visiting since Trump took office.

milanbaros

Member?
Against a basket of currencies the dollar is very strong right now. I expect this is more to blame than Trump tbh. The Trump story sells better though.

antibolo

Banned
Most of Trump's supporters live in boring shitholes that international tourists wouldn't visit anyway, so they don't care.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's a shame really... I wanted to eventually go to Disney World with my girlfriend in the next few years, but even though we're both white canadians, I do not feel like supporting the tourism industry in the USA while Trump is in charge. Guess we'll have to wait until 2020 or 2024.

Addnan

I was saving money to go next year, but it's not worth the risk of being refused entry because of my first name. Plus just expected way too much hostility. Anyway, I guess New Zealand can have my money.

This drop doesn't effect fly over states of america. No one is taking a vacation to ohio from europe. Its the coastal cities that will hurt.

Thanks Trump.

JesseZao

The hilarious part about this is that Trump is primarily involved in real estate and tourism. He's literally burning his own customer base.

Except for all the new business ventures his company is starting in other countries...

The trump name should still be repulsive, but he's got an open net to those smoked out of US plans.

Farmboy

Yeah, this is me. Have visited the US 10 times in the past 10 years and have no plans of doing so in the near future. It's not even a conscious boycott or fear, more of a matter of the appeal being lessened significantly in the back of my mind. I'm pretty sure I would already be planning a new trip had Hillary won.

Am seriously considering coming over to volunteer for the Dem candidate in 2020, though.

Without looking up any numbers at all, I believe I can say with certainty that this will disproportionately impact blue states, where almost all of the major international destinations are located. Florida is the exception.

North Carolina doesn't make as much from tourism as Florida, but it's still a major industry there.

dyergram

It hasn't put me off in the slightest I'll be honest I was kinda hoping he'd sink the dollar though so I can get more currency. It feels like every time terressa may opens her mouth the pound gets weaker :/

zeemumu

My only solace is the hope that the theme parks will have to re-lower their prices to bring back the local crowds to account for the loss in tourists. Disney's been trying to drop its annual passholder numbers for years.

chrislowe

In just a few months the US dollar has become stronger compared to my currency which makes it expensive to go to US now.

Its also shown in electronics from USA and stuff that has become much more expensive just in 2 months.

So its good for USA economics with a strong currency but bad for me.

norog

This drop doesn't effect fly over states of america. No one is taking a vacation to ohio from europe. Its the coastal cities that will hurt.

I'm sure the big draws are the cities, sure, but this isn't a fair narrative to push either. Lots of Germans and Canadians (and probably others) love going out to the national parks, and many of the really cool ones are smack dab in red territory. (Man, I wanted to see Yellowstone so bad this summer too. Stop being crazy, America!)

Brandson

Do you think Trump and his team devoted any time at all to thinking about how their actions would affect tourism? I don't know if it's worse to have not put your mind to this very obvious outcome, or to have discussed it and decided it was worth the cost to go ahead anyway.

Canadian here. My gal and I have been going to the U.S. every year, at least once a year, for some kind of concert or festival, since around 2004 (Chicago, NY, Denver, Washington, Florida, Minnesota, Cleveland, Vegas, The Gorge). This year we've decided we'd feel better about keeping our money out of the U.S...and a lot of Canadians I've talked to feel the same way. We've got a big country here to explore and most of us haven't seen it from coast to coast, so I might take my first trip out to the Maritimes this year, or we'll see what this Pemberton lineup looks like. I've heard more and more people looking at other options to to not support American companies, by going to less American chain restaurants and stores and trying to buy more domestically, which I haven't really gone that far yet, but we'll see.

Boylamite

I've been all over the US and have always enjoyed it, but not setting foot there until the residual grime from this administration is gone. I'm a white male, fwiw.
Even if I wanted to go to the US, I'm not gambling the travel costs to get turned away at the border. All they'd need to do is ask me what I think about the current administration (I would not hold back), or demand access to my phone/social media accounts (NOT FUCKING happening)

Nerazar

Well, it feels really weird to think about the fact that I might be safer in the US as a foreigner, because I am a white male. And that I should shave off my beard and don't wear a hoodie if I happen to come over. Just to be safe.

It's like growing my beard for my longer stay in Turkey to not be "mistaken" for a foreigner / a tourist. So I basically have to use the same level of personal security in the US as with a near-despotic country with a abhorrent human rights/freedom of speech situation like Turkey .

That's the aura Trump's America is emanating right now. And noone should be surprised that less tourists will come over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom