• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Surrogate Cites Japanese Camps as Precedent for Muslim Registration

Status
Not open for further replies.

MogCakes

I'm not mad at this. I'm not even mad at Trump supporters. I'm mad because milquetoast progressives are going to make calling this bigoted crap out for what it is into an argument because it makes the right defensive.

I'll give you a hint, they aren't actually progressives.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I think we should try to consider their viewpoint with empathy and not go overboard with the comparisons to Japanese internment camps

Disgusting.

You do realise it was the surrogate who made the comparison, right? You read the article right? Come on, man.

wSKcxLx.jpg

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I've seen this argument a lot in Youtube comment sections.

Gutek

And even if he is removed from office.

The man who would replace him is worse.

I disagree strongly. Yes, he is a disaster for the LGBTQ+ community. But at least he is not a climate change denier and close to people like Bannon on top of being a disaster for LGBTQ+.

Now we just sit back, wait, and see how many Americans are secretly okay with putting Muslims in internment camps.

It's the majority if anything else this election has exposed the discussing under belly of Americans and it's not even just white male Americans and they won't all show it in public and that's the real scary part.

bionic77

As we move closer to fascism Osama Bin Laden is rotting in Hell and can't believe how well it worked out for him.

We need a Nixon type who is going to find some way to declare us the winners of the war on terrorism and move away from it. Maybe a crazy as fuck Trump is the guy to do just that.

I had to look this up, and he certainly did.

Wow. We're through then looking glass people

Godwin got stumped by the trump. What is crazy is that we still have people claiming Trump is nothing like Hitler even after all the shit that has been said and has happened.

Can't say I'm surprised.

I'm Muslim. Don't really know what to do. I can protest. I can yell. I can write. Nothing will happen unless everyone else stands with us against this.

boiled goose

good with gravy
If this gets anywhere close to happening. We have to all hit the Fucking streets.

Not acceptable.

I disagree strongly. Yes, he is a disaster for the LGBTQ+ community. But at least he is not a climate change denier and close to people like Bannon on top of being a disaster for LGBTQ+.

Huh? Pence the creationist is not a climate change denier?

Pence far worse on lgbt.

This isn't the first time I've heard this from a Trump supporter or a surrogate. But now that these people have won the election, this might be the most chilling thing I've ever heard in my lifetime. Aside from protesting and writing all my representatives, I don't know what else I can do to stop this.

As we move closer to fascism Osama Bin Laden is rotting in Hell and can't believe how well it worked out for him.

We need a Nixon type who is going to find some way to declare us the winners of the war on terrorism and move away from it. Maybe a crazy as fuck Trump is the guy to do just that.

No way. Right now I'm certain that members of ISIS and other terrorist groups are thinking the same thing Bin Laden did about Bush "This guy is an idiot and we can bait him into a long, draining conflict like we did with the Soviet Union."

Haruko

Reminds me of mike shinoda's chilling song Kenji:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUBKcOZjX6g

"One Fort Minor song called “Kenji” is about the Japanese American internment during World War II. Shinoda’s father’s family was interned in Manzanar. “Kenji” is based on interviews with his father and aunt. Shinoda raps about how the family was given two days to pack everything into two bags, the depression, racial profiling, living under lockdown and growing crops for the guards. The voices of his father and aunt can be heard in sound bites."
http://hyphenmagazine.com/magazine/issue-9-play-summer-2006/shinodas-song

An interview-only version without drums or the rap lyrics was also created https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE9aGqHTVfc

Pence is more than a disaster. He literally wants it to be illegal for my people to exist.

That's beyond "disaster".

PInk Tape

Banned
Of course they won't. I mean notice the news doesn't even talk about the emails anymore....

I mean they did accomplish their goal of having the president that will earn them the most clicks. So they don't really need those emails for coverage anymore.

Hil wanted to talk policy, help people, and knew what she was doing. Boring.

Pence is more than a disaster. He literally wants it to be illegal for my people to exist.

That's beyond "disaster".

I feel like the arguments I hear about Pence are very similar to the ideas I heard about Cruz being worse than Trump in the primary and I don't agree.

Now you can go line by line on policy and point out all the places where Trump is more liberal than Cruz or Pence, like not aggressively hating the LGBT community.

But what makes Trump so much more terrifying is that he has absolutely no regard for democracy. Cruz and Pence aren't out there telling their supporters to assault protesters and dissenters. There weren't talking about how the election was rigged against them, and that we shouldn't have elections and that we should just give them the presidency. They aren't there saying that we need to dismantle the "Lügenpresse".

Establishment guys are terrible, and they're scary. But Trump has no regard for democracy or the democratic process and a hatred and vindictiveness towards opposition that makes him far more terrifying. As bad as Mike Pence and guys like Cruz are, I don't think they're assassinate opposition levels bad, or internment camps bad. Trump is and has surrounded himself by people who are.

But maybe that's just me.

Hazmat

if this happens I'll be in the streets with the rest of the sane people. I've never been arrested before, should be fun.

Our new post fact, 'feels over reals' nation! Welcome to 2016, ladies and gentlemen. This is your pilot speaking. We'll soon be landing in 1984. Please stop thinking independent thoughts. Thank you, and 'Make America Great Again'.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Note that we had a Congressman (also coincidentally the guy behind SOPA) this year go on witch hunts against climate scientists in an attempt to silence them, citing the 1950s House Un-American Activities Committee's communist witch hunts as valid legal precedent for doing so:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamar_S._Smith

As of 2015, Smith has received more than $600,000 from the fossil fuel industry during his career in Congress.[45] In 2014, Smith got more money from fossil fuels than he did from any other industry.[46] Smith is publicly skeptical of global warming.[47][48][49] Under his leadership, the House Science committee has held hearings that feature the views of skeptics,[50] subpoenaed the records and communications of scientists who published papers that Smith disapproved of,[47] and attempted to cut NASA's earth sciences budget.[51] He has been criticized for conducting "witch hunts" against climate scientists.[46] In his capacity as Chair of the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology, Smith issued more subpoenas in his first three years than the committee had for its entire 54-year history.[46] In a June 2016 response letter to the Union of Concerned Scientists, Mr. Smith cited the work of the House Un-American Activities Committee in the 1950s as valid legal precedent for his investigation.[52][53]

2016. Pre-Trump. Largely ignored by the press. Don't assume that injustices of the 1940s are implausible outcomes today if the American people remain indifferent. We're undoubtedly going to be tested on it.

What a surprise. It's like I knew us Muslims would get screwed the most....fuck thanks a lot America for voting for this shit as president.

Deku Tree

Things are gonna get a lot worse IMO. This trial ballon is the tip of the iceburg. Believe the Autocrat Trump. Don't let the media normalize or explain what they really meant.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Democracy though, right?
If anything, this election has shown me Americans are incapable of exercising power to save their country because the systems are designed to favour the corrupt.

The reality is that trump could reinstate internment camps for American citizens, and do other horrible things, and Americans would not be able to do a single thing to stop him.

You know shit's hitting the fan when Megyn Kelly condemns a Republican.

Well now wait a second. You're making it sound like this guy (a Trump "surrogate", whatever that is) is actually getting pushback from the right on this. Almost like there isn't majority support for putting Muslims in internment camps, and like there is case law making it illegal, and like any such proposal would meet with stern resistance at the state level from even Republican governors and legislatures.

But, no, because this dumb guy used this dumb comparison in an interview, that means Trump 100% wants all Muslims in internment camps (something he's never, ever proposed, or even hinted at) and 100% of Republicans will go along, because they are all literal devils.

Here's what's much more likely to happen:

Trump is going to gut environmental regulations, explode the deficit and turn over control of social programs to states that are going to fuck them up. And no one will care, because the concentration camps didn't come. Because all of that stuff - actual, tangible stuff that will affect you and your loved ones - is boring, and pales in comparison to the V For Vendetta dictatorship everyone kept predicting. You're being so utterly cartoonish in your portrayal of what he can do that you're going to lose interest when it doesn't come to pass, and Trump "only" does the type of shit Reagan did.

Motherfucker...I don't even...

He, his VP, and his entire "team" needs to be removed from office before they even get there...

Do go on about how both sides are the same, though, and that protestors should be working or in school instead of out there protesting the president-elect.

*sits down and sips his damn tea*

This.

But nooooo those fucking e-mails...can't have her as President, she's too boring to "energize" people and knows what she's doing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom