• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to announce end of DACA, six month delay before enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I can't even.

Gaf's Trump supporters have fled because of the "echo chamber" (room where moral people converse ethically) but even the burner accounts won't touch this. They know their guy is pure bullshit but they're committed. And all their friends are assholes now too. And by friends, I mean vague internet acquaintances who said "Charlottesville is gonna be a blast and everyone will respect us afterwards"

mreddie

Dump giving it to Congress gives him the perfect out despite him ending it sounds smart to him but fucker is about to ruin the economy with this shit.

Mariolee

I cannot process this anymore. So many of my famoly and friends are going to get screwed over by this. I feel like crying.

Balphon

All these GOP coming out beforehand saying it would be a bad idea to scrap or scale this back need to put their money where their mouth is and get legislation fucking done. No excuses.

Congressional Republicans don't have enough of a consensus to do anything on immigration, nor the political will to create one.

The only thing likely to spark action would be Democrats doing something drastic like stonewalling on Harvey aid and they're not going to do that.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
They'll just make a tweet about being angry over it and nothing will happen
Then the Democratic party will grandstand about it, but do nothing

Fuck them both

Ok. Totally intellectually coherent take. Nothing but facts and common sense behind this post.

A THREAD ABOUT THE OVERTURNING OF DACA, A LARGELY DEMOCRATIC POLICY.

Fuck off. Or explain yourself better.

Barzul

Seriously if Congress doesn't deal with this, I will be looking at how I can house a DACA recipient and to shield them from ICE. Basically a new Underground Railroad.

Yes, the GOP has absolute control but a lot of them have said things publicly in tweets, meetings, etc and continue to stand by. Dems can't do much now, but they are not doing shit for 2018 or giving a lot of people confidence in the party.

The far left's ability to turn 'fascism vs. anything but fascism' into a complicated voting decision continues to amaze.

Ok. Totally intellectually coherent take. Nothing but facts and common sense behind this post.

A THREAD ABOUT THE OVERTURNING OF DACA, A LARGELY DEMOCRATIC POLICY.

Fuck off. Or explain yourself better.

My frustration is with confidence in the current democratic party to rally voters in 2018, plain and simple. 2018 is so god damn important and I don't feel a great sense of confidence coming from that group. Between Pelosi's ANTIFA comments and their lack of fundraising, I'm concerned. I'm sorry if this latest news caused some idiotic outrage, but it's just beyond frustrating to watch this unfold

Mr.Mike

fuck trump, what else can I say. I'm a mentor for a couple of dreamers that are both in internships in corporate finance jobs doing amazing, they are adding value to this country and they are doing this for fucking what.

Somehow this gives me hope some faction of the Republican party might actually push against this.

My frustration is with confidence in the current democratic party to rally voters in 2018, plain and simple. 2018 is so god damn important and I don't feel a great sense of confidence coming from that group. Between Pelosi's ANTIFA comments and their lack of fundraising, I'm concerned. I'm sorry if this latest news caused some idiotic outrage, but it's just beyond frustrating to watch this unfold
What are you talking about? DCCC is breaking fundraising records. DNC fundraising structure is different from RNC and can't be directly compared.

While I can see the racism element, if Trump does want to Copy Germany and Australia, 800,000 mainly unskilled workers endlessly getting renewed every 2 years on work permits is a huge issue.

I know people will reply "but they are doing jobs normal people wouldnt do", no thats exactly why Aus and Germany have these short term permits.

You have no idea what you're talking about. These are not unskilled workers.

I may get banned for this, but I just can't help myself this time. Fuck your bullshit false equivalencies and everyone else who thinks like you. This will single-handedly ruin or disrupt the lives of millions of people. Yes, millions. Even if each Dreamer only had 2 people who loved or depended on them, we'd be talking about nearly 3 million people who are going to suffer for exactly ZERO GODDAMN REASON.

Ugh.

fuck trump, what else can I say. I'm a mentor for a couple of dreamers that are both in internships in corporate finance jobs doing amazing, they are adding value to this country and they are doing this for fucking what.

There's likely dreamers in every industry, working high level positions. It's beyond stupid to repeal this

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

For something you claim to care about you sure do plenty to undermine it.

RPGCrazied

But of course. I'm sure the LBGTQ community is next. He will come for everyone that isn't white, straight and male.

While I can see the racism element, if Trump does want to Copy Germany and Australia, 800,000 mainly unskilled workers endlessly getting renewed every 2 years on work permits is a huge issue.

I know people will reply "but they are doing jobs normal people wouldnt do", no thats exactly why Aus and Germany have these short term permits.

They were brought to the US as children. they've basically known no other home and they are from all walks of education and emplyoment...

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
But of course. I'm sure the LBGTQ community is next. He will come for everyone that isn't white, straight and male.

Have you been in a cave?

Do you know what DACA is? Because it seems like you don't. DACA is geared towards high-preforming highly successful children that have done everything right. They go to college, get good jobs, etc. They're not "unskilled" workers. As if there would be anything wrong with that anyway given there is a massive need for workers of all types - including unskilled.

Hesemonni

Banned
Wow. Stinkles is pissed...and rightly so.

To an foreigner those states threatening to sue over DACA seem like actually being the ones having most to lose if DACA ends. Or am I missing something here?

mreddie

Ummm, you have seen what he did last month right?

All he needs to do is try to go after black people and he's kinda doing that.

I mean, it'll get worse. They will reverse or try to over turn gay marriage.

I doubt the Supreme Court will do that...then again, all it takes is one case and another judge leaving.

MUnited83

For you.

Lol, you're showing how little you know about DACA

thefro

I would be happy if this signals a can kick down the road,but it sounds more like intent.

The ideal scenario is that Congress gets pushed to do something so folks in the program now can apply for green cards & eventually citizenship.

Fuck this country. File +1 under "we deserve whatever crap we get now." A survey last week showed overwhelming majority support for permanent legal status and even a plurality of Republicans support offering DACA recipients immediate citizenship.
What would happen to the dreamers? They get deported?
The administration is probably going to argue that the 6-month wait is a humanitarian act to allow these persons to deport themselves so they need not live in fear law enforcement like every other undocumented immigrant. A lot of these people are on visas and those expire over the next 2 years I believe.

Man you guys are so good at slipping in some shot at Pelosi for no reason.

What does any of this have to do with well anything

Shauni

Fuck this country. File +1 under "we deserve whatever crap we get now." A survey last week showed overwhelming majority support for permanent legal status and even a plurality of Republicans support offering DACA recipients immediate citizenship.
The administration is probably going to argue that the 6-month wait is a humanitarian act to allow these persons to deport themselves so they need not live in fear law enforcement like every other undocumented immigrant. A lot of these people are on visas and those expire over the next 2 years I believe.

Dreamers don't deserve. Keep that shit to yourself

What a stupid fucking awful idea, of course he signed up for this, because he doesn't think. I sure hope to god this gets slapped down, because it's an awful Trump decision that unsurprisingly will seriously hurt the U.S.

What fucking purpose does this serve

Because he's an awful moron who doesn't think, and to please that deplorable equally awful base of his.

Ponn

Banned
Maggie Haberman of NYT with the following on this:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/904529961268150272

This...makes no fucking sense. Of course he intends to end it, hes just doing it in a sleazy way to ease the blow. If he had no intention of ending it he wouldn't end it with a 6 month delay to try to kick it over to congress. In 6 months it ends, with the main fury over it passed and any remaining fury deflected by Trump with "I gave Congress a chance and they decided not to do anything, talk to them"

At this point with the way Trump has acted, the moves he has made and his rhetoric its safe to say he actually doesn't give two shits about DACA by itself. He literally wants to undue to everything Obama has done. That has been his overarching goal since getting into office. The EO is dead to him and no is going to talk him out of it.

What would happen to the dreamers? They get deported?

That is likely the goal, yes. Or forced to go into hiding again - because that was productive. Visas would slowly expire with no way to renew them. Oh and the government would have a solid database on where they all are for now!

Then of course they'll fear the government - rightfully so. And refuse to participate in things such as reporting crimes, helping out investigations etc. Going to give criminals a new lease on life and more potential victims to prey upon.

i dont understand the 6 month delay? I haven't read it yet but I'm at work.

So mines expires in September of 2018, so I can work till then?

Edit nvm I get it.

So this is what dump meant by "we love the dreamers!"

I feel so loved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean C

Trump screwing over immigrants is pretty much to be expected, and deplored.

At the same time, I find it kind of hilarious at how badly he's screwing over congressional Republicans by lobbing his hand grenade into their foxhole within a few months of the midterms.

Trump screwing over immigrants is pretty much to be expected, and deplored.

At the same time, I find it kind of hilarious at how badly he's screwing over congressional Republicans by lobbing his hand grenade into their foxhole within a few months of the midterms.

Would be if they would, I don't know, have a spine in any way shape or form. But saying "I don't approve of this decision" is all you are gonna fucking get. The GOP is a terrorist group that took over our government and we are seeing the effects perfectly.

massoluk

Banned
Fuck
This
Guy

This act literally keeps immigrants that benefit the USA at the most narrowish and conservative definition. Fuck this man hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom